PDA

View Full Version : Favorite vacation destinations?

Kyle Reese
03-11-2011, 11:59 AM
Where does everyone like to go when they take off on holiday?

I'm partial to:

Hungary

Germany

Jordan

I went to Romania in the winter of 2008 and didn't care for it.

Looking at the following destinations for future trips.

Lithuania

Luxembourg

Czech Republic

Ireland

Iceland

Austria

Slovenia

LittleLebowski
03-11-2011, 12:07 PM
Australia. You know why.

Kyle Reese
03-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Sure. Shark Diving! :cool:

Australia. You know why.

LittleLebowski
03-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Let's just say that The Pacific portrayed the reception of American servicemen accurately and I can personally attest to this.

Recommend Perth or Brisbane.

Kyle Reese
03-11-2011, 12:54 PM
Nice! I def need to check Oz out....:)

Let's just say that The Pacific portrayed the reception of American servicemen accurately and I can personally attest to this.

Recommend Perth or Brisbane.

gtmtnbiker98
03-11-2011, 01:58 PM

Recommend Perth or Brisbane.Better than PI?

LittleLebowski
03-11-2011, 02:09 PM
Better than PI?

Haven't been there but I have been to Thailand and I'm told they are roughly the same.

So, prolly not better but just as good in a different way.

MechEng
03-16-2011, 07:05 PM
Australia. You know why.

I'll have to second this. Last year my wife and I spent three weeks there on our honeymoon. We just left our cell phones at home and disappeared to the other side of the planet. We spent one week diving & snorkeling, one week touring the outback and the last week in Sydney relaxing.

Besides being outcast from the British Empire, Aussies and Americans have a lot in common. There are many parallels between our culture and theirs.

MTechnik
03-16-2011, 10:41 PM
Aruba.

They were devastated by the oil recession in the 70's, so when they upgraded for tourism they got NEW desalinization plants, not old 1920's tech elsewhere.

The people remember what it was like to have nothing and are friendly still. They seem happy to have tourists.

Sure, there's still a scam where they steal the tire and jack off of your sidekick and sell it back to the rental people that hit you with a fee, but that happens anywhere if you're not mindful for it.

And the restaurants are AWESOME. They get good south american grass fed beef.

We stayed at the newer hilton, and there were no salespeople on the beach selling hair braiding and agricultural products. It was nice and peaceful with the cabana and Jose with the white oakleys bringing mango daquiris. (I'm from Puerto Rico, I have a weakness for mango.)

Frank D.
03-17-2011, 04:23 AM
Australia is fantastic, though I'm partial to Thailand myself.

On that note, feel free to PM me for a beer if anyone is passing through ;).

Oh and Italy is amazing, probably some of the best times of my life.

Business_Casual
03-17-2011, 06:31 AM
Why would they jack off your sidekick? Well, at least he's happy.

B_C

Chipster
03-17-2011, 04:46 PM
Hilton Head Island

ACP230
03-21-2011, 10:34 PM
The last family trip we made, before the kids started dispersing to college and jobs, was to Theodore Roosevelt National Park in North Dakota and Mt. Rushmore and Wall Drug in South Dakota.

I had been to Rushmore and Wall Drug as a kid and wanted to show them to my kids.
We also followed the Lewis & Clark Trail off and on. And visited the fort that Custer left from to head for the Little Big Horn. My wife got to play Mrs. Custer's square piano at the fort.

We been talking about going back since we got home.

I would also like to see Battle Road in Lexington and Concord. Ironic that the state where the "embattled farmers" fired "the shot heard 'round the world" has such stupid gun laws these days.

DrDave
03-22-2011, 08:03 AM
I know I sound like a travel agent here but South Africa is a great holiday destination. Most of the plus points of an African holiday but with a (somewhat) first-world infrastructure. Excellent hunting and game viewing (no, we don't have lions walking in the streets.)

Cape Town is a beautiful city. Lots to see and do. Good wine, shark diving etc. The Rand/$ exchange rate means a fairly decent priced holiday. I live in Johannesburg (and I love it) but its a shithole for tourists to visit. There really is bugger all to see here.

Sure, we have crime. I don't think its as big an issue as its made out to be by the overseas media (either that or we've become a little jaded)

BigT
03-24-2011, 07:16 AM
I know I sound like a travel agent here but South Africa is a great holiday destination. Most of the plus points of an African holiday but with a (somewhat) first-world infrastructure. Excellent hunting and game viewing (no, we don't have lions walking in the streets.)

Cape Town is a beautiful city. Lots to see and do. Good wine, shark diving etc. The Rand/$ exchange rate means a fairly decent priced holiday. I live in Johannesburg (and I love it) but its a shithole for tourists to visit. There really is bugger all to see here.

Sure, we have crime. I don't think its as big an issue as its made out to be by the overseas media (either that or we've become a little jaded)

I havent yet met a tourist who wasnt blown away by South Africa

Frank B
03-24-2011, 01:36 PM
Israel is a good place for holidays, too.
I like the food and the people there.
Even if you are not the "holy crusader", Old Town Jerusalem with the four ethnic precincts is worth to see.

Kyle Reese
03-24-2011, 01:40 PM
Always wanted to go to Israel. However, working in various nations not on the best terms with Israel, I don't want to risk being denied entry/ detained / arrested flying back in to Baghdad Intl Airport. :o

Israel is a good place for holidays, too.
I like the food and the people there.

Frank B
03-24-2011, 01:43 PM
All you need is a second passport. I got questioned by some nice looking female agents at my departure re a stamp from Dubai. One of my friends came over from Bagdad via Amman without any trouble.

Joe in PNG
03-24-2011, 03:18 PM
Mine? Sanibel Island, Florida. I've been vacationing there for over 30 years.

Sadly, I'm going to miss this year.

Oscar 319
03-24-2011, 04:54 PM
A jacuzzi suite in Las Vegas for a week away from work and the kids= Heaven.