PDA

View Full Version : Support thumb position

GJM
03-20-2012, 08:38 AM
Historically, I have kept my support thumb parallel, and close to the frame (with dominant thumb over support thumb to avoid the slide stop), but not touching the frame. My wife shoots with her support thumb lightly contacting the frame.

Recently, I moved my thumb in, so that it lightly contacts the frame, thinking it makes for a stronger grip. Now, occasionally, when being aggressive, I have had my Glock fail to lock back on an empty magazine (Vickers slide stop installed). I assume, that is because my support thumb is further right, contacting the frame, and that has allowed my dominant thumb to move further right, and occasionally contact the slide stop. Last night, I pulled the Vickers slide stop and replaced it with a stock part, since I use my support thumb to work the slide stop, and I can make the stock part work.

My questions are, what is the consensus on support thumb contacting versus near the frame, and any issues with the slide stop for others with the Vickers slide stop?

JV_
03-20-2012, 08:41 AM
I keep my weak hand thumb at the top of the trigger guard, on the bottom size of the rear dust cover/rail. That index point helps me keep my wrist rotated/locked.

secondstoryguy
03-20-2012, 09:01 AM
I've had the same problems when going fast and aggressive with the shorter grip on a G19. I initially thought about taking off the Vickers slide stop but decided that I would just modify my grip as even with a standard slide stop I was causing some premature lock backs, though no where near as many. I changed my index to about the same as JV and with my hand rolled forward it doesn't happen anymore.

ToddG
03-20-2012, 09:15 AM
Figure out whether it's your strong hand thumb or your weak hand palm heel that is causing the inadvertent contact.

You can either hang your strong hand thumb slightly outboard (almost a necessity for right handers shooting SIGs) or work on the index point JV mentioned. When I shoot a P30/HK45, for example, I absolutely have to use that index point to get the slide to lock.

GJM
03-20-2012, 11:56 AM
I have been running dominant thumb over support thumb for a few years, and no longer have a lock back issue on the P30.

I believe it is a dimension issue between the shorter reach of the Gen 4, the Vickers slide stop and my thumb. Doesn't happen on a Gen 3 19 I carry, and the only difference is the shorter reach of the Gen 3 versus Gen 4. With the stock slide stop, I just ran 100 rounds of 1 or 2 in the magazine, and had zero problems.

As a lefty, my wife really likes the Vickers slide stop so she can reach under the frame on a slide lock reload. As a righty, using my support thumb on the slide stop on a reload, is there any reason to stay with the Vickers slide stop?

JV_
03-20-2012, 12:28 PM
nevermind

ToddG
03-20-2012, 12:52 PM
As a righty, using my support thumb on the slide stop on a reload, is there any reason to stay with the Vickers slide stop?

I realize this is obvious, but hopefully seeing it from a different angle will help:

If the Vickers release interferes with your grip and/or the slide locking back, that's a strike against it.
If the Vickers release speeds up or otherwise better insures rapid, reliable slide release at speed under stress, that's a point in it's favor.

How you prioritize is up to you. Because slidelock reloads are a major part of my practice, I have a strong dislike of anything that prevents the slide from locking back.

I didn't have any problem with the Vickers release when I was running the gun slick or with the GFA. But I have medium sized hands and short thumbs. Once I put the Crimson Trace Lasergrip on my G17, the Vickers is actually too short for me and the factory extended release works best.

BaiHu
03-20-2012, 12:56 PM
I have been running dominant thumb over support thumb for a few years, and no longer have a lock back issue on the P30...

Interesting post, b/c I actually have my thumbs riding right on the border of the frame and slide and I don't have any problems with my P30. However, I do have short fingers-so much so, that it is actually a bit of a stretch for my strong hand thumb to drop the slide release on my P30. Glocks, however are another story-I can't reach jack-diddly squat without my support hand hitting the mag release or lifting up the slide stop. It's why I only shoot my Glock unless I'm teaching someone on the 22 conversion kit.

Mr_White
03-20-2012, 04:00 PM
Historically I have shot with my thumbs contacting the frame. I don't recall any slide stop lever issues - certainly nothing significant.

Lately, in dealing with a couple of anticipation behaviors, one of which is my support thumb occasionally pushing the gun to the right, I have tried moving my thumbs off the frame so they don't touch it at all, and this has felt like it helps.

JeffJ
03-20-2012, 04:13 PM
I consistently had FTLB with both the factory and the vickers stop on both a G34 and G19 - I also don't really have trouble hitting the non-extended stop. Lately I've changed my grip a little and have my SH thumb further out so it might not be an issue, but I never saw enough improvement with either of the extended stops to risk it. I find the FTLB very annoying at best and would consider it a "very bad thing" if it consistently happened. If I run the gun dry I figure I'm already in deep doo doo, not having it lock back and forcing me to diagnose the problem is not what I want right then.

GJM
03-20-2012, 08:30 PM
Historically I have shot with my thumbs contacting the frame. I don't recall any slide stop lever issues - certainly nothing significant.

Lately, in dealing with a couple of anticipation behaviors, one of which is my support thumb occasionally pushing the gun to the right, I have tried moving my thumbs off the frame so they don't touch it at all, and this has felt like it helps.

Perhaps a discussion is on order on the desirability of the support thumb contacting the frame? And, is it platform specific -- on the Glock it feels right, but less so on a M&P, and even less yet on a HK 45C.

Failure2Stop
03-20-2012, 11:33 PM
I swapped my stock slide "stop" (thanks Glock) with the G34 part on my G19 right after I bought it, being used to the release on my G35.
All was well for years, but after recovering from a shoulder injury I suddenly found myself unintentionally locking the slide to the rear with the G34 stop (aptly named in this situation).
I recently acquired a Gen 4 G17, and decided to leave the stock slide stop alone to see if the base of my support hand would continue to cause the problem and hammered reloads for a while to ensure that I could consistently release the slide.
I have not had the problem with the stock part, and find that my firing hand thumb placement is more natural (especially when compared to what I have to do with Sigs).

So, for me, the answer was to stay stock.
And to further digress, this relevation caused me to decide to leave everything (except sights) as received from the factory.

secondstoryguy
03-21-2012, 08:00 AM
As a result of this thread I've been playing with several different grips in an attempt to get slighty higher on the gun with no adverse contact with the slide lock. Watching several videos including a few with Dave Sevigny and one of our own members Donovan M in this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_yNKUAOp6U I would love to see first hand how they get so high on the gun without jacking with the slide lock.

Serenity
03-21-2012, 08:03 PM
You can either hang your strong hand thumb slightly outboard (almost a necessity for right handers shooting SIGs)

What do you mean by "outboard"?

98z28
03-22-2012, 03:55 PM
Not Todd, but a long time right-handed SIG shooter...

http://www.kyledefoor.com/2009/06/sig-sauer-secrets.html

You put your right thumb on the outside of your left thumb to keep it from contacting the gun. This prevents it from inadvertently activating the slide "stop".

ToddG
03-23-2012, 08:18 AM
What do you mean by "outboard"?

I simply rotate my right thumb counter-clockwise slightly. It rests on the meat of my left thumb/hand maybe 1/8" off the gun.