PDA

View Full Version : 2019 RDS on pistols thread

breakingtime91
03-25-2019, 11:15 AM
Wanted to start a new thread on mini rds on pistol thread with updated info and products. I am going full into this with a spending plan to have three rds equipped guns by the end of the year. The big reason for me is I can finally shoot with both eyes completely open. I have issues with eye dominance and the rds makes that a non issue for me.

Current thoughts on the rds overall: I have not had the tracking issues some have noted or any difficulty finding the dot during presentations. I attribute this to my time spent refining my natural point of aim and index with pistols. The rds can be forgiving with its eye box (speaking for the RMR) and I am interested to see what new tech comes out over the next decade. For that reason I went with an ATOM mount and plan on having my other guns milled to resemble that.

CS Tactical
03-25-2019, 11:22 AM
Hopefully we have the Aimpoint ACROS soon so we can really jump start this conversation.

Trukinjp13
03-25-2019, 12:08 PM
I am looking forward to putting more rounds through mine when it returns from its mission....

I would like to setup another mrds pistol and think that the AOS or Atom will be a good way to go. I may build off a gen 4 and try out the aftermarket frame situation. Ideally to have something that is a rock solid mount that the optics can be switched if need be. The Op gave me the idea and I think it is a good one. My g19.5/rmr2 will stay primary ccw carry. But this will let me test the waters with a Acro/?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

backtrail540
03-25-2019, 12:15 PM
I plan on getting my training gun milled for a dot in the next month or so. I'm using it as a diagnostic tool to identify presentation/ trigger control issues etc... and to reap some of the benefits that gjm and others have talked about - with the end goal of eventually setting up a carry gun as well.

ssb
03-25-2019, 12:43 PM
I'd like to see what SIG's Romeo 1 Pro and Romeo 2 shake out to be. The ACRO doesn't blow my hair back for a concealed gun.

I like the view through the Deltapoint, but GJM's continued breakages at moderate round counts and the issue that it doesn't play well with BUIS has me wary.

PNWTO
03-25-2019, 12:48 PM
Any experience here with the Balor mount as a experimental solution to test the waters. Kyle Defoor is a fan of the T1 on a pistol for introductory purposes but I don’t want to mount one.

jwperry
03-25-2019, 12:52 PM
I'm more interested in seeing the ruggedized Shield RMSc or an RMR with DPP mounting footprint than the ACRO. For some reason, Aimpoints dots always tickled my astigmatism in ways that the Trijicon dots don't.

Whereas I like the "easy button" solution of the Sig Rx guns(since I'm a classic P series fan boi), the Romeo is too far below average in terms of durability/reliability and uses a weird battery that isn't easily found.

Hopefully I don't get flamed too hard, but I've been thinking of finding a Holosun H507c to play with. My only problem is, I can find used type 1 RM06 RMRs at the same price point I'm finding the new Holosun optics at and I have no problem with a type 1 RMR (after a few personal additives to aid in reliability)

Jay585
03-25-2019, 12:53 PM
Are there any good options for milling and mounting a RDS on a G43/43x/48? Or is it better to get one of those rear sight dovetail platforms?

Craw
03-25-2019, 01:09 PM
Just thinking out loud here...

My thinking is that because of the way the ACRO mounts to a slide, via cross bolt, rather than two smaller, vertical screws like an RMR, a Glock MOS variant will actually make a rugged host. All of the failures of MOS guns that I have seen have been due to the screws holding the RMR in place flying off. I've never heard of a MOS breakage where the actual mounting plate, which is held in place by two substantial screws, flew off of the gun.

Does anyone with time on an ACRO/MOS gun have any input here?

jwperry
03-25-2019, 01:21 PM
Are there any good options for milling and mounting a RDS on a G43/43x/48? Or is it better to get one of those rear sight dovetail platforms?

Depends on what red dot you want to add. I've seen (pictures, never put hands on) many folks putting the RMSc on the slim Glocks. I don't think there's enough slide there to mount an RMR via direct mill.

Jay585
03-25-2019, 01:33 PM

My thinking is that because of the way the ACRO mounts to a slide, via cross bolt, rather than two smaller, vertical screws like an RMR, a Glock MOS variant will actually make a rugged host. All of the failures of MOS guns that I have seen have been due to the screws holding the RMR in place flying off. I've never heard of a MOS breakage where the actual mounting plate, which is held in place by two substantial screws, flew off of the gun.

Did this happen using the screws provided with the RMR (or is it the MOS?) that are short, or the proper screws (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T31NK86/) for using an RMR? I had bought the MOS and RMR then mounted the RDS to slide and thought the included screws were g2g until one fell out during practice. It was then I learned there's a longer screw that needs to be used.

Depends on what red dot you want to add. I've seen (pictures, never put hands on) many folks putting the RMSc on the slim Glocks. I don't think there's enough slide there to mount an RMR via direct mill.

RMR would be preferred but would consider something else that works. As far as the RMS... I like it, but apparently they aren't very rugged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hGk4EUs4_c

cornstalker
03-25-2019, 02:02 PM
I would like to see how the Romeo 2 and the Romeo Pro 1 will perform.

Also interested in the RMS-w.

Has anyone here actually broken a Shield RMS, outside of scratching up the window?

I am a little concerned about the ACRO. Strange to see the C1 offered after the "release" of the P1, and yet no one has one of either. Seems like it's going to be a Unicorn for a while.

breakingtime91
03-25-2019, 02:40 PM
I am looking forward to putting more rounds through mine when it returns from its mission....

I would like to setup another mrds pistol and think that the AOS or Atom will be a good way to go. I may build off a gen 4 and try out the aftermarket frame situation. Ideally to have something that is a rock solid mount that the optics can be switched if need be. The Op gave me the idea and I think it is a good one. My g19.5/rmr2 will stay primary ccw carry. But this will let me test the waters with a Acro/?

Cant thank you enough for letting me try it.

Maca
03-25-2019, 03:33 PM
Totally happy with my setup.

Honestly wouldn’t change a thing. Carry it either appendix (JMCK) or strong side outside the waistband in a raven Perun holster.

3k rounds self defense ammo and not one issue.

Jay585
03-25-2019, 04:06 PM
I forgot, I wanted to get P-F's opinion on this:

http://www.chpws.com/product/trijicon-rmr-holosun-glock-mos-adapter-plate-v3

Found out about it through an instagramer's page:

p/Bu9mRlUnZec

Just installed the V3 #rmr plate from @chpws on the Glock 17 Gen 5. First impressions: Dropping the plate on, the fit is tight and almost seamless. Had to use a rubber mallet to lightly tap the optic onto the plate, as if everything were custom fitted. My RMR was rock solid before installing the screws! Seriously dig the extended posts, allowing significantly more thread engagement than the OEM plate. Very few things impress me without testing first, but they knocked this one out of the ballpark! Can’t wait for the loctite to setup and get on the range! Thanks to @jimmy_f3tactical for making me aware of this great company and product!

Trukinjp13
03-25-2019, 04:22 PM
Totally happy with my setup.

Honestly wouldn’t change a thing. Carry it either appendix (JMCK) or strong side outside the waistband in a raven Perun holster.

3k rounds self defense ammo and not one issue.

I can attest to this. I had my upper on my g19x for a little bit, and that was the best shooting gun I have used. With the dot and the controllability of the 19x it was another level. Flat and fast.

Trukinjp13
03-25-2019, 04:23 PM
Cant thank you enough for letting me try it.

No problem, glad to help out a fellow PFer and turn someone to the dark side.

Norville
03-25-2019, 04:46 PM

I have sheared an MOS plate screw, while DPP mounting screws were intact.

LSP552
03-25-2019, 07:23 PM
My next pistol will be a Glock MOS of some flavor. Just not sure which yet.

Duelist
03-25-2019, 07:46 PM

If the 19x comes out in MOS configuration, that will decide this question for me. Otherwise, it will be a 17 or 34, or I will copy the guy above and have a 19x milled.

breakingtime91
03-25-2019, 08:07 PM

you'll love the dot. Come to the dark side my friend.

LSP552
03-25-2019, 08:09 PM
you'll love the dot. Come to the dark side my friend.

With my eyes, I’m past due....

BigT
03-26-2019, 12:37 AM
I have sheared an MOS plate screw, while DPP mounting screws were intact.
I did this, this weekend. Currently having them look into it.

rathos
03-26-2019, 02:11 AM
So far I only have direct milled guns. I have three glocks with RMRs and a Sig m17 with a DPP. Not a huge fan of the sig so far, and the DPP battery life sucks. I am also required to have back up irons and the setup on the Sig with a DPP requires me to have a huge front sight and that weird screw in DPP rear sight. The DPP does have an awesomely large window. I also seem to have less issues with the dot at any power with the DPP.

One thing that really held me back at first is I co witnessed the dot and never really did much fine tuning. After hearing some recent thoughts from Aaron Cowan I decided to fine tune the zero on my red dots independent of the irons. I have also started using a target focus as you should instead of focusing on the dot specifically like I would focus on the front sight. This has helped my accuracy immensely. While the co-witness is a great place to start, dots really should be independently sighted in. a 10 yard zero works well for me and keeps me perfect at 25 and 50 yards.

Next step is to try one of the new Staccato P host guns. Since the 1911 (or 2011 as this would be) is so easy to shoot I am very curious to play with an RMR 2011.

Wayne Dobbs
03-26-2019, 08:39 AM

You are very insightful, Craw. That mount interface is extremely strong since what they've essentially done is to make a miniature Picatinny rail set up. I've seen thousands of rounds go downrange under ACROs now and there's no sign of trouble.

EVP
03-26-2019, 09:26 AM
The only thing that concerns me about the Acro is the size for a ccw. The back portion of the ACRO body being square and tall. ItÂ’s hard enough to break up the back of the slide on a Glock. I foresee the ACRO and AIWB not working well. I hope I am wrong.

Trukinjp13
03-26-2019, 10:46 AM
I understand the aiwb concerns of the Acro. But a proper jmck iwb holster should be gtg.

I installed blacked out sights when I setup my rmr gun. And did not zero the dot directly on the front sight. The blacked out sights and lower thirdish cowitness helped with learning the dot for me. The first couple guns I tried had three dot night sights and the dot was stacked. They kept taking my attention away from the dot. Maybe even no backup sights for a training gun?

cornstalker
03-26-2019, 11:28 AM
The only thing that concerns me about the Acro is the size for a ccw. The back portion of the ACRO body being square and tall. ItÂ’s hard enough to break up the back of the slide on a Glock. I foresee the ACRO and AIWB not working well. I hope I am wrong.

When I tried AIWB with my G19x/RMR, I found that rotating the grip into the body enough to eliminate printing caused the optic to print badly in anything but a hoodie. I guess it stands to reason, grip in=optic out. I will be curious to see how this pans out with the ACRO. There is, however, a chance that I may lose interest before the ACRO's are released into the wild... Lol.

I pretty much carry strong side OWB all of the time now, so I would think I would be able to hide an ACRO there.

breakingtime91
03-26-2019, 11:32 AM
Wing + PAD= zero prointing of RMR for whatever its worth. 179 pounds and large shirts with a weightlifters chest.

STI
03-26-2019, 12:01 PM
Pardon if it's already common knowledge - who's going to be (or already is) the go-to solution for direct milling for the ACRO once it's available?

Tod-13
03-26-2019, 12:08 PM
Hopefully we have the Aimpoint ACROS soon so we can really jump start this conversation.

Red gives my wife incapacitating migraines, so I'm waiting for the Holosun HE512T-GR Elite!
https://holosun.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=79&zenid=1b23e186725563208f04b7fe4760fc61

EVP
03-26-2019, 02:14 PM
When I tried AIWB with my G19x/RMR, I found that rotating the grip into the body enough to eliminate printing caused the optic to print badly in anything but a hoodie. I guess it stands to reason, grip in=optic out. I will be curious to see how this pans out with the ACRO. There is, however, a chance that I may lose interest before the ACRO's are released into the wild... Lol.

I pretty much carry strong side OWB all of the time now, so I would think I would be able to hide an ACRO there.

Yea that’s kinda what I foresee, since with Glocks it’s kinda a balancing game between grip rotation and the back of the slide. An Acro would make that balance more critical.

BigT
03-26-2019, 02:16 PM
Red gives my wife incapacitating migraines, so I'm waiting for the Holosun HE512T-GR Elite!
https://holosun.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=79&zenid=1b23e186725563208f04b7fe4760fc61

If its for a pistol I think it's the 509 series you're waiting for.

Tod-13
03-26-2019, 02:20 PM
If its for a pistol I think it's the 509 series you're waiting for.

So, like an Acro built on an RMR footprint? That works, assuming they offer it in green.
https://holosun.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=96

BigT
03-26-2019, 02:30 PM
So, like an Acro built on an RMR footprint? That works, assuming they offer it in green.
https://holosun.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=96

I'm 99% sure they had green ones at iwa. Footprint looks to be very similar to, if not the same as, the acro.

Tod-13
03-26-2019, 02:33 PM
I'm 99% sure they had green ones at iwa. Footprint looks to be very similar to, if not the same as, the acro.

Ah. Ok. I thought the 512 was Acro sized and the 509 was RMR. (Tough to tell from pictures.) If the 509 is Acro sized, then I expect them to use the same mount. Will have to keep an eye out.

evi1joe
03-26-2019, 02:44 PM
I like the Holosun 507C--the circle dot is great...but it is a bit large and tall. The problem with the Holosun 509 is that it looks like it ONLY mounts on a pic-rail.

I'm pretty sure Glock will soon come out with a G45 MOS, so I'm holding off on milling a 19X or a 45 (QUESTION: does the 19X have the "S" trigger spring?).
--
These days, I'm carrying the G43X and sometimes the P365 (which is a newer one and hasn't given me any reasons in 2K rounds to doubt it).

IF the new 15rd steel 43X mags are as reliable as OEM, I'll be carrying the 43X a lot more.

Currently, I am leaning towards the SHIELD RMS-W (the bigger size with water-proofing) even though I know it's not as tough as the DPP/RMR.

For CCW, I really don't do half of what SAGE DYNAMICS does to a MRDS. Evidently, all the new SHIELD RMS sights will have a new coating that helps reduce scratches AND they'll offer a $50 lens replacement for life (though I do want to know if I have to ship it back to England, or if they'll do that stateside).

Wayne Dobbs
03-26-2019, 02:58 PM
I understand the aiwb concerns of the Acro. But a proper jmck iwb holster should be gtg.

I installed blacked out sights when I setup my rmr gun. And did not zero the dot directly on the front sight. The blacked out sights and lower thirdish cowitness helped with learning the dot for me. The first couple guns I tried had three dot night sights and the dot was stacked. They kept taking my attention away from the dot. Maybe even no backup sights for a training gun?

My thoughts are to use plain black back up irons with no color and no tritium. We've been using the Ameriglo GL-429's on our demo guns with the ACRO. The 429 set has a front sight that's ~0.3" high and give an adequate co-witness without blocking the optic's field of view. I jokingly call it a "lower 1/4 co-witness" and it works really well and doesn't cost a lot.

ubervic
03-26-2019, 03:02 PM
For CCW, I really don't do half of what SAGE DYNAMICS does to a MRDS.

THIS.

I can't imagine beating an MRDS against a table or wall or anything again & again under any circumstances. But if I do really need to take that action, I won't be sore if the MRDS begins to fail as a result---I'll have BUIS, after all, and I'll also have more important things to worry about and overcome.

BigT
03-26-2019, 03:02 PM
(QUESTION: does the 19X have the "S" trigger spring?).
No , 19X trigger is mechanically Gen5

Trukinjp13
03-26-2019, 03:03 PM
My thoughts are to use plain black back up irons with no color and no tritium. We've been using the Ameriglo GL-429's on our demo guns with the ACRO. The 429 set has a front sight that's ~0.3" high and give an adequate co-witness without blocking the optic's field of view. I jokingly call it a "lower 1/4 co-witness" and it works really well and doesn't cost a lot.

I am all in on this plan. You just made the new standard...

Lower 1/4 cowitness

jbg270
03-26-2019, 03:10 PM

Are you using the Ameriglo GL-429's on Gen 1-4 or Gen 5 guns?

Trukinjp13
03-26-2019, 03:12 PM
THIS.

I can't imagine beating an MRDS against a table or wall or anything again & again under any circumstances. But if I do really need to take that action, I won't be sore if the MRDS begins to fail as a result---I'll have BUIS, after all, and I'll also have more important things to worry about and overcome.

I happen to like the fact that he tests optics how he does. I have carried a rmr2 for quite some time now in a lot of different environments. Mine has gotten whacked around quite a bit. When it is on my side and especially owb. Whether it simply be a tree I’m moving or parts that I’m carrying around the shop.

One day I was unloading a bunch of cast iron medium duty truck drums. Big ass heavy suckers, not like your pickup truck. I grabbed a hold of one and my glove ripped open, needless to say it came swinging against my side and hammered my pistol. Another time I fell on the concrete in the winter right on my side. I use mine to rack the slide off stuff doing drills also. I want it to be durable and be able to handle shock.

I am never going to intentionally beat on it. But man, SHIT HAPPENS at the worst times.

evi1joe
03-26-2019, 03:14 PM
For something as--likely--reliable as the ACRO and newer MRDSs, I think lower 1/4th is perfect. Sights are still there, but less likely to use them to see first and "transfer" back to the dot.

My only worry about the ACRO is that the window is so small...I really loved going from RMRs to larger windows like the DPP and Holosun 507C.
I'm still glad someone made a closed unit--I'm sure we'll see many more of these (as well as pistols where the rear of the slide doesn't reciprocate) in the near future.

ubervic
03-26-2019, 03:18 PM
I happen to like the fact that he tests optics how he does. I have carried a rmr2 for quite some time now in a lot of different environments. Mine has gotten whacked around quite a bit. When it is on my side and especially owb. Whether it simply be a tree I’m moving or parts that I’m carrying around the shop.

One day I was unloading a bunch of cast iron medium duty truck drums. Big ass heavy suckers, not like your pickup truck. I grabbed a hold of one and my glove ripped open, needless to say it came swinging against my side and hammered my pistol. Another time I fell on the concrete in the winter right on my side. I use mine to rack the slide off stuff doing drills also. I want it to be durable and be able to handle shock.

I am never going to intentionally beat on it. But man, SHIT HAPPENS at the worst times.

Fair enough.

I guess my carrying AIWB---with the optic resting just above my belt, near my centerline---offers a somewhat more protected environment than would be the case in other carry positions. For me, my grip takes the (rare) impact much more than the optic does.

evi1joe
03-26-2019, 03:21 PM

Yeah. It's great that he pushes the envelope for serious users. I definitely have an issue with slamming my watch into walls and columns.

But I generally only carry concealed when running errands at night or going to a movie or whatever...I think for most smaller-gun CCWers, the SHIELD will likely work 99.99% of the time (until they upgrade to something newer and better). And my Ameriglo green i-dot backup sights are very easy to pick up through it for that 1 in 10,000 chance the SHIELD fails.

BUT if I carried a larger gun, I'd definitely just skip to the RMR 2.0 (or maybe the DPP--I like everything about it better except the height and the battery life).

Wayne Dobbs
03-26-2019, 03:37 PM
Are you using the Ameriglo GL-429's on Gen 1-4 or Gen 5 guns?

Gen 5

CLaw
03-26-2019, 06:55 PM
Do we know if the ACRO footprint could cause holster fit issues with current red dot cut holsters?

Wayne Dobbs
03-26-2019, 11:27 PM
Do we know if the ACRO footprint could cause holster fit issues with current red dot cut holsters?

I've noted that the pistols with ACRO mounted fit all the Safariland 6000 series duty holsters that have "RDS" appended to the model number. The hard plastic "Cheeto Guard" does not completely close but is no longer needed as the emitter is enclosed. Safariland is working on a revised guard at this time though.

TCB
03-26-2019, 11:39 PM
The Gen 5 Glocks you are using are the MOS versions? As opposed to ones that have been milled. Gen 5 MOS Glocks may be in my immediate future and if they are holding up as demo guns for the ACRO that would make me very happy.

Wayne Dobbs
03-26-2019, 11:44 PM
The Gen 5 Glocks you are using are the MOS versions? As opposed to ones that have been milled. Gen 5 MOS Glocks may be in my immediate future and if they are holding up as demo guns for the ACRO that would make me very happy.

They are G-17 MOS Gen 5 pistols using our mounting plates. No issues noted after thousands of rounds. I do some extra attention armorer stuff on plate mounting though. I thoroughly degrease the screw holes in the slide and the screws themselves and let them dry. I then use some Loctite 242 (blue) on the screws and snug them down really well. Let the thread locker cure for 24 hours before shooting and you should be good to go.

Tod-13
03-27-2019, 08:07 AM
I like the Holosun 507C--the circle dot is great...but it is a bit large and tall. The problem with the Holosun 509 is that it looks like it ONLY mounts on a pic-rail.

I was thinking it was the same sort of mount as the Acro, but when I look at European trade show photos, it does look like a picatinny rail mount.

I'm pretty sure Glock will soon come out with a G45 MOS, so I'm holding off on milling a 19X or a 45 (QUESTION: does the 19X have the "S" trigger spring?).
--
These days, I'm carrying the G43X and sometimes the P365 (which is a newer one and hasn't given me any reasons in 2K rounds to doubt it).

IF the new 15rd steel 43X mags are as reliable as OEM, I'll be carrying the 43X a lot more.

Currently, I am leaning towards the SHIELD RMS-W (the bigger size with water-proofing) even though I know it's not as tough as the DPP/RMR.

For CCW, I really don't do half of what SAGE DYNAMICS does to a MRDS. Evidently, all the new SHIELD RMS sights will have a new coating that helps reduce scratches AND they'll offer a $50 lens replacement for life (though I do want to know if I have to ship it back to England, or if they'll do that stateside).

We're leaning towards either a HK VP9 or a CZ-75, as those fit both my large and my wife's tiny hands. (We love the lever mag release and both really like CZs.) I guess if I save up until HK finally releases a VP9 OR, there might be a closed style green dot that works available then. :confused: :rolleyes:

I may have a VP9 or CZ-75 milled for an RMR and put one of the dual-illuminated green dots on it as a range gun, until a closed style battery operated green dot becomes available.

Tyrok
03-27-2019, 08:08 AM
Any experience here with the Balor mount as a experimental solution to test the waters. Kyle Defoor is a fan of the T1 on a pistol for introductory purposes but I don’t want to mount one.

I have a Balor equipped "Snub Nosed Roland" G26 carry gun. 600 rounds through it so far and not a single problem (I know this is a low round count but it's a good indication, not to mention I'm sure Mr. Defoor puts his through its paces).

Pros:
-Easy to mount

-Has been absolutely rock solid without a single hint of loosening. I don't even touch my slide anymore for manipulations, I just grab the H1 and yank away.

-Built in backup sights (I like how low profile they are, you can see 90% of the optic glass over them, and the front sight is a standard Glock sight so you can change it to anything you prefer)

Cons:
-Sits the optic higher than direct milling (this is a non-issue for me because I've never shot a direct milled pistol, I learned on the Balor)

-Part of the mounting solution replaces the rear slide plate so you cannot use a Gadget with the Balor.

Hope this was helpful! Feel free to ask me any questions.

Trukinjp13
03-27-2019, 03:37 PM
The new type 2 RMR-HRS looks interesting. I dig the FDE not going to lie.

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=RM06-C-700780

Jay585
03-27-2019, 04:18 PM
The new type 2 RMR-HRS looks interesting. I dig the FDE not going to lie.

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=RM06-C-700780

It does look cool, but I recently found out via Aaron Cowan/Sage Dynamics that there may be durability issues.

p/BvPNujIASDi

I would recommend the Trijicon RMR over any other MRDS currently available, however the cerakoted models do have a common issue with the emitter window failing and popping out. While the optic can still be used when this happens, it drastically changes dot size and shape. For Duty or self defense carry, go with the anodized models.

TCB
03-27-2019, 04:32 PM
The one he referenced is anodized. In FDE. But good to know on the cerakoted ones.

Jay585
03-27-2019, 04:35 PM
TCB, good catch thank you. I saw color and thought "cerakote"

breakingtime91
03-28-2019, 10:08 AM
Been working with the rds with dedicated dry fire everyday. Finding the dot from my preferred ready positions, draws, strong hand, weak hand, and under recoil have still been no issue. The dot is in constant motion with faster speed cadences, just like a front sight. So when pulling .15-.17 splits the dot is more of a streak but I do not find it any more of a burden to track than the constant moving front sight at that speed. Honestly those speeds are not super useful outside of saying I can do it and for guys who can process things much faster than me. I am about a .19-.20 speed guy for processing ;)

Trukinjp13
03-28-2019, 11:04 AM
To the fellow rmr2 owners. How long have you went with battery changes? Mine is a little over 16 months old and still works perfect. Going to change it soon and probably keep it to once a year. Just curious on how others battery life has been.

zeleny
03-28-2019, 11:33 AM
To the fellow rmr2 owners. How long have you went with battery changes? Mine is a little over 16 months old and still works perfect. Going to change it soon and probably keep it to once a year. Just curious on how others battery life has been.A year of intermittent high intensity use.

vandal
03-28-2019, 01:46 PM
My first battery (the one that came with the sight) died at exactly one year of living either in the safe, under a shirt, or 2-3x/mo range trips.

To the fellow rmr2 owners. How long have you went with battery changes? Mine is a little over 16 months old and still works perfect. Going to change it soon and probably keep it to once a year. Just curious on how others battery life has been.

breakingtime91
03-28-2019, 01:58 PM
https://youtu.be/nBsAmlYvaAI

Some issues pushing left today that is all trigger control at that speed. Put up a 99 at 20 yards today so my issue is at speed. RMR is not the limiting factor.

ps. reviewing footage from today my stance, while forward still is not as aggressive as needed to manage the recoil the way I should be.

That Guy
03-30-2019, 03:38 PM
After hearing some recent thoughts from Aaron Cowan I decided to fine tune the zero on my red dots independent of the irons. I have also started using a target focus as you should instead of focusing on the dot specifically like I would focus on the front sight. This has helped my accuracy immensely. While the co-witness is a great place to start, dots really should be independently sighted in.

Would you care to elaborate why dots should be zeroed independently of iron back up sights?

(I may have an idea why, but it would probably be better to ask and not assume...)

rathos
03-30-2019, 04:23 PM
Unless you have custom irons that hit exactly to point of aim (most get you in the general area) the best direct co-witness gets you is in the area. So only doing a co-witness leaves a lot to be desired in the accuracy department. I always found that with a direct co-witness I was still having to adjust my point of aim. Using the co-witness as a starting point got me on paper and allowed me to be zeroed in 5-20 shots. why put a red dot on your handgun that only allows you to have the same accuracy as the irons that are already on there? If I didn't have to have irons on my gun due to department policy I wouldn't even worry about having them on there.

Would you care to elaborate why dots should be zeroed independently of iron back up sights?

(I may have an idea why, but it would probably be better to ask and not assume...)

breakingtime91
03-30-2019, 04:28 PM
my process for zeroing dot guns:

-center up irons

-co witness dot

-fine toon at 10 yards on b8, verify at 25.

JSGlock34
03-30-2019, 04:32 PM
It does look cool, but I recently found out via Aaron Cowan/Sage Dynamics that there may be durability issues.

p/BvPNujIASDi

Had this same failure twice on a black RMR2 so I don’t think the finish has anything to do with it.

Wake27
03-30-2019, 04:54 PM

The referenced post mentions a video from Cowan on the topic.

That Guy
04-01-2019, 06:55 AM
The referenced post mentions a video from Cowan on the topic.

Sure, but having the information within the conversation, instead of an off-site link, is benefitial for later reference.

(Besides, I for one have a pretty high threshold for clicking links, especially on my phone. It's much easier to read a paragraph of text than watch the typical +10 minute YouTube video.)

ubervic
04-01-2019, 08:22 AM
Thread drift: Aaron Cowan seems knowledgeable, and he is clearly a good pistol shooter. But watching his videos is exhausting. He loves to use 1,000 words when he could stick with 300, he jumps frequently to tangents, and he talks so fast that I bet most listeners miss 30% of his points unless they rewind and watch it 4 times.

YVK
04-01-2019, 10:49 AM
This is the reason I don't watch his videos. If he wants a larger audience, he needs to deliver 100% of his current content in a 25% of his current form.

Wake27
04-01-2019, 11:10 AM
Thread drift: Aaron Cowan seems knowledgeable, and he is clearly a good pistol shooter. But watching his videos is exhausting. He loves to use 1,000 words when he could stick with 300, he jumps frequently to tangents, and he talks so fast that I bet most listeners miss 30% of his points unless they rewind and watch it 4 times.

Very true - which is why it can be hard to summarize his videos. Personally, I’m not typically so invested in someone having the same knowledge that I’m going to do that much work for them.

Gray01
04-01-2019, 12:57 PM
This is the reason I don't watch his videos.

I laughed, because that is the reason I enjoy his presentations. He is in the smaller percentage of presenters that have a command of language, and the information that he provides is detailed to the point that he "shows his work" instead of simply asserting conclusions.

YVK
04-01-2019, 02:16 PM
I can understand a preference for higher levels of granularity. My personal learning for dot-specific learning started from "get your dot index on, don't panic when you see your wobble" and ended there. My results with the dot have been largely determined by my execution of shooting fundamentals, not by what aiming device I used. So you can see how my attitude starts with "what's there to talk about?" when the discussion brings up "RDS-specific" instruction or instructors.

breakingtime91
04-01-2019, 05:39 PM
I can understand a preference for higher levels of granularity. My personal learning for dot-specific learning started from "get your dot index on, don't panic when you see your wobble" and ended there. My results with the dot have been largely determined by my execution of shooting fundamentals, not by what aiming device I used. So you can see how my attitude starts with "what's there to talk about?" when the discussion brings up "RDS-specific" instruction or instructors.

Right there with you. More time I spend with it, the more I think people completely over things rds on a handgun.

backtrail540
04-02-2019, 01:40 PM
Getting an rmr'd glock from a buddy for a few weeks. Not the platform I want to run it on but it will give me an idea of how I like the rmr before purchasing. Excited!!

ubervic
04-02-2019, 02:10 PM
Getting an rmr'd glock from a buddy for a few weeks. Not the platform I want to run it on but it will give me an idea of how I like the rmr before purchasing. Excited!!

I would bet good money that you dig it and that you find you will improve with irons at the same time, as a bonus.

Jay585
04-02-2019, 02:21 PM
Went shooting with my Dad over the weekend (brought my Glock 19 with RMR and Dad brought his Colt 1911). Once thing I noticed about the RMR G19 is how much faster I can shoot. I don't have to spend time lining up the irons, making sure it's on the gong, then pulling the trigger. If the dot is still on target, you're g2g. It's fun to be able to shoot so fast! :cool:

EDIT: I was shooting an 8" gong at ~15 paces. I always missed my last shot. Not really sure why.

BigT
04-02-2019, 03:45 PM
I collected my Acro today. I shall report back as soon as I have some trigger time on it.

Up1911Fan
04-04-2019, 08:09 PM
Just ordered a Type 2 RMR 06. I've been waiting a few years and am finally ready to jump on board. I'm trying to decide between a Gen5 19 or a G45, need to order one or the other to put the RMR on.

evi1joe
04-04-2019, 08:45 PM
Just ordered a Type 2 RMR 06. I've been waiting a few years and am finally ready to jump on board. I'm trying to decide between a Gen5 19 or a G45, need to order one or the other to put the RMR on.

Tough choice. I guess if it was HD, OWB, or go-to-war gun, I'd go with the 45--I hear nothing but great things about them. I'd bet anything that the secret squirrels are putting optics on the G45. However, it's hard not to want the latest, greatest G19 with an RMR/Acro. I'm down to my last G19.4...and it's tricked out to my idea of perfection; however, I've been eyeing the G19MOS.

Trukinjp13
04-04-2019, 08:52 PM
I have a g19.5 rds and when I had my g19x I switched the top end. The g19x dominated in all shooting aspects for me. So if you can get away with the g45. I am a huge fan of that combination.

The g19 will be more concealable obviously, but I was impressed to say the least on what the X did with a dot.

Jay585
04-05-2019, 12:19 PM
I ordered a RM06 Type 1 that I just put on my slide, replacing the RM01. I was surprised how loose the screws are. Using the Trijicon sealing plate, Trijicon MOS screws (which come with a dab of blue loctite).

Should I add more loctite (if yes, what type), or did I not tighten them enough when I installed the RM01?

Trukinjp13
04-05-2019, 12:57 PM
I ordered a RM06 Type 1 that I just put on my slide, replacing the RM01. I was surprised how loose the screws are. Using the Trijicon sealing plate, Trijicon MOS screws (which come with a dab of blue loctite).

Should I add more loctite (if yes, what type), or did I not tighten them enough when I installed the RM01?

Are you using a torque wrench and installing them at said torque rating? I would clean the hell out of the threads on the slide and clean the bolts then apply fresh coat of loctite. Torque to recommend settings. Also give the loctite like 24hrs to set before use. Recheck torque after a few uses.

Jay585
04-05-2019, 01:08 PM
Trukinjp13,

I cannot remember seeing anything about torque specs. I'll have to check the manual again. The only torque wrench I have is the 62 in/lb for the SCAR. I doubt the rmr needs to be torqued that much. Could you recommend a good wrench?

Trukinjp13
04-05-2019, 01:32 PM
Trukinjp13,

I cannot remember seeing anything about torque specs. I'll have to check the manual again. The only torque wrench I have is the 62 in/lb for the SCAR. I doubt the rmr needs to be torqued that much. Could you recommend a good wrench?

Okay. Use vibra-tite Vc-3 on the screws. I called it loctite, but it’s actually that stuff. I think torque was around 14-15 in/lbs. let the product dry on the screws before installing also. This should help.

Wheeler Firearms Accurizing Torque Wrench with Inch/Pounds Measurement, Bits and Storage Case for Scope Mounting, Gunsmithing and Maintenance https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012AXR4S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_-65PCb4VA85EX

STI
04-07-2019, 06:02 PM
Pardon if it's already common knowledge - who's going to be (or already is) the go-to solution for direct milling for the ACRO once it's available?

Bueller?

karmapolice
04-07-2019, 06:12 PM
Bueller?

ATEI should be ready and who I’d use.

breakingtime91
04-07-2019, 06:15 PM
ATEI should be ready and who I’d use.

This or jagerwerks. Both are superb.

Jay585
04-08-2019, 01:02 PM
Overwatch Precision just announced their BUIS for RMR'd Glocks on IG

p/BwAKG0kgYH7

HAVE BLUE MOS Sight Set (https://overwatchprecision.com/have-blue-mos-sight-set/?redirect_log_mongo_id=5cab8a77d486f30066ce8077&redirect_mongo_id=5ca5967eca54dd0046d18077&sb_referer_host=&utm_campaign=Trackable+Links&utm_medium=Web&utm_source=Springbot)

I saw this:

Combat Hold sight picture

And was wondering exactly what that is. I've heard of 6 o clock hold, POI hold, but combat hold? New to me.

CS Tactical
04-08-2019, 03:14 PM
Bueller?

Aimpoint trusted ATEi with all their direct mounted ACRO guns at Shot Show, plus Doug said he can get it low enough to use standard sights.
I choose them if I'm going direct.

Trukinjp13
04-08-2019, 07:50 PM

p/BwAKG0kgYH7

HAVE BLUE MOS Sight Set (https://overwatchprecision.com/have-blue-mos-sight-set/?redirect_log_mongo_id=5cab8a77d486f30066ce8077&redirect_mongo_id=5ca5967eca54dd0046d18077&sb_referer_host=&utm_campaign=Trackable+Links&utm_medium=Web&utm_source=Springbot)

I saw this:

And was wondering exactly what that is. I've heard of 6 o clock hold, POI hold, but combat hold? New to me.

Combat hold is basically the front dot covering poi. Hits behind the dot

Somebody smarter may explain this better. Sigs come with combat hold quite often. At least everyone I have owned has.

Up1911Fan
04-19-2019, 06:06 PM
Just got my first one set up.37437

Up1911Fan
04-19-2019, 08:24 PM
So, the dot on my RMR looks really blurry. This is something I never noticed shooting Aimpoints on carbines. I'm assuming this is an eye issue. Has anyone else dealt with this and been able to make it work?

breakingtime91
04-19-2019, 09:09 PM
So, the dot on my RMR looks really blurry. This is something I never noticed shooting Aimpoints on carbines. I'm assuming this is an eye issue. Has anyone else dealt with this and been able to make it work?

adjust the brightness of the dot and then focus pass the rmr then back on it.

einherjarvalk
04-19-2019, 09:15 PM

What's curious to me is that they describe it as both "combat hold" sight picture but also say it's lower 1/3rd sight picture earlier in the listing. I'd reach out to them for clarification.

dontshakepandas
04-19-2019, 09:26 PM
What's curious to me is that they describe it as both "combat hold" sight picture but also say it's lower 1/3rd sight picture earlier in the listing. I'd reach out to them for clarification.Those specs refer to two completely different aspects of the sights.

Lower 1/3rd refers to the height of the sights in comparison to the optic window. Combat hold refers to the sight picture in relation to the point of aim and point of impact.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

backtrail540
04-20-2019, 02:49 AM

Playing with my borrowed rmr tonight, i noticed without prescription or with my old prescription, the dot is pure starburst. But when i put on glasses with my current scrip it straightened out and looks like a normal dot. Maybe a visit to the eye doc to update your vision will help.

JSGlock34
04-20-2019, 08:16 AM

RMR1 or RMR2? Was it always blurry or has it become blurry after use?

cornstalker
04-20-2019, 10:15 AM

Check the emitter lens to make sure it's clean. On my RM06 Type 2, the dot went blurry. Turns out the emitter lens had shifted and it had to go back in for repair.

Up1911Fan
04-20-2019, 01:33 PM

Brand new type 2 06. I don't remember it being blurry when I put in on (daytime) was dry firing later last night and really noticed it.

dontshakepandas
04-20-2019, 01:41 PM
Brand new type 2 06. I don't remember it being blurry when I put in on (daytime) was dry firing later last night and really noticed it.Try looking at the dot through something with a small round hole in it so that you can emulate a rear rifle sight. For example, you could use a buckle hole in a belt.

Get the hole fairly close to your eye and hold the pistol at a normal distance. If the dot is no longer blurry it is your eyes causing the blur. If the dot us still blurry when looking through the hole it is likely the optic.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

JSGlock34
04-21-2019, 07:53 AM

Brand new type 2 06. I don't remember it being blurry when I put in on (daytime) was dry firing later last night and really noticed it.

This picture was posted earlier in the thread - make sure your emitter window is still there (you can see where it has come loose below). I've had this failure on a RMR2 where the window flew completely off under recoil - the dot goes from crisp to a blurry mess once it is gone.

p/BvPNujIASDi

einherjarvalk
04-23-2019, 03:28 AM
Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere and I don't think it's worthy of its own thread, but GT Distributors is now taking orders for the previously-unannounced Glock 45 MOS (currently available as a Blue Label gun only).

https://www.gtdist.com/glock-g45-gen-5-mos-w-fs-3-mags-fxd-sghts.html

breakingtime91
04-23-2019, 07:26 AM
Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere and I don't think it's worthy of its own thread, but GT Distributors is now taking orders for the previously-unannounced Glock 45 MOS (currently available as a Blue Label gun only).

https://www.gtdist.com/glock-g45-gen-5-mos-w-fs-3-mags-fxd-sghts.html

nice find. thats my next pistollll

Trukinjp13
04-23-2019, 08:10 AM
nice find. thats my next pistollll

Big time!

RAM Engineer
04-25-2019, 06:03 PM
Question for you guys: With the irrelevance of sight radius when using a RDS, is there really much advantage to G34 (or even G17) sized slides anymore? With modern ammo, it seems like your only remaining advantage of muzzle velocity is OBE.

theJanitor
04-25-2019, 06:38 PM
Question for you guys: With the irrelevance of sight radius when using a RDS, is there really much advantage to G34 (or even G17) sized slides anymore? With modern ammo, it seems like your only remaining advantage of muzzle velocity is OBE.

There are factors like balance, and recoil feel that are shooter-specific. Those are more important factors than sight radius or muzzle velocity, IMO

Trukinjp13
04-25-2019, 06:55 PM

IMO tracking the dot is easier with a g19 than a g17. I think it has to do with the shorter slide travel and I also prefer the recoil of the g19 in Gen 5 configuration.

I think this will vary depending on user. But to me
the dot is a great equalizer!

RAM Engineer
04-25-2019, 07:53 PM
IMO tracking the dot is easier with a g19 than a g17. I think it has to do with the shorter slide travel and I also prefer the recoil of the g19 in Gen 5 configuration.

I think this will vary depending on user. But to me
the dot is a great equalizer!

I prefer the recoil impulse of 26(best)>19>17>34(worst)

BUT, you have to realize that all four guns have identical slide stroke distance.

Trukinjp13
04-25-2019, 09:24 PM
I prefer the recoil impulse of 26(best)>19>17>34(worst)

BUT, you have to realize that all four guns have identical slide stroke distance.

Sorry if I phrased it wrong but the point is the slide length difference affects how they shoot.

GJM
04-25-2019, 10:46 PM
I have always felt that with a 19 length slide, the dot tracks better than a 17 or 34 length slide. What I can’t reconcile though, is that my match performance has consistently been better with a dot on a 34, than with a dot on a 19 or 17 length slide. These are match observations, and probably not relevant to defensive use.

KneeShot
04-25-2019, 11:43 PM
GJM - Does the longer slide of the 17 / 34 cycle slower than a 19?
Kind of like a full size 1911 vs a 4.25 or officer size.
Maybe the (very minimal) slower time of the heftier slide returning to battery allows a slightly faster processing of a sight picture and in turn trigger prep...?

Brainstorming...

Jeremy

ssb
04-26-2019, 03:32 PM
So... apart from the SRO, nothing new in the MRDS world at NRAAM? Not seeing much of anything on social media.

Trukinjp13
04-26-2019, 05:30 PM
Anybody know anything about these?
https://www.usoptics.com/product/mcrs-military-competition-reflex-sight/

backtrail540
04-26-2019, 06:01 PM
Anybody know anything about these?
https://www.usoptics.com/product/mcrs-military-competition-reflex-sight/

Looks like a shield rms but with slightly different machining. Specs are even similar.

Jay585
04-28-2019, 11:48 AM
I finally ditched the glock plastic sights on my MOS slide and replaced them with Dawson's MOS co-witness sights (https://dawsonprecision.com/copy-of-dawson-precision-glock-mos-fixed-co-witness-sight-set-black-rear-black-front-for-trijicon-rmr-and-similar-scope-bases-1/).

Only problem is lining up the irons puts the dot at the bottom of the rear sight notch. Any ideas whats up?

I don't like seeing so much of the irons in the RMR, and I find it distracting during the drawstroke. I'm picking up and zeroing in on the irons rather than the dot. I'm going to place an order for the non-cowitness sights but in the meantime, I need to learn to work with what I got.

Darth_Uno
04-28-2019, 01:45 PM
What's curious to me is that they describe it as both "combat hold" sight picture but also say it's lower 1/3rd sight picture earlier in the listing. I'd reach out to them for clarification.

I finally ditched the glock plastic sights on my MOS slide and replaced them with Dawson's MOS co-witness sights (https://dawsonprecision.com/copy-of-dawson-precision-glock-mos-fixed-co-witness-sight-set-black-rear-black-front-for-trijicon-rmr-and-similar-scope-bases-1/).

Only problem is lining up the irons puts the dot at the bottom of the rear sight notch. Any ideas whats up?

I don't like seeing so much of the irons in the RMR, and I find it distracting during the drawstroke. I'm picking up and zeroing in on the irons rather than the dot. I'm going to place an order for the non-cowitness sights but in the meantime, I need to learn to work with what I got.

Most suppressor, or “co-witness” sights, sit appx .315” above the slide front and rear. This gives you a lower 1/3 sight picture in a milled RMR.

The RMR sits higher with the MOS setup, and manufacturers have accommodated that by using mostly .390-400 sights. That gives you a lower 1/3 sight picture with that specific setup.

You can also use MOS sights on a milled slide, you’ll just have the sights blocking more of the glass, which it appears the Overwatch sights (and any other MOS sight) would do.

Also be careful when you order, since Ameriglo (I think it’s Ameriglo) and maybe others measure the rear sights as the total height of the unit...for example their standard suppressor rear is listed as .395”, but it only sits .315” over the slide and would be too short to work with the MOS.

JHC
04-30-2019, 10:39 AM
So... apart from the SRO, nothing new in the MRDS world at NRAAM? Not seeing much of anything on social media.

MSRP $159

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/04/29/nra-2019-bushnell-advance-micro-reflex/

Bart Carter
04-30-2019, 04:41 PM
MSRP $159

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/04/29/nra-2019-bushnell-advance-micro-reflex/

Well, with an MSRP of $159 and a one year warranty, I guess you get what you pay for.

ranger
04-30-2019, 05:32 PM
MSRP $159

I bet they sell a boat load of them at that price. Most pistol shooters do not shoot a fraction of the volume of PF members and will be perfectly happy with a cheap optic - especially with so many factory optic ready pistols on are coming to market.

Bart Carter
04-30-2019, 07:41 PM
FWIW, the Bushnell Advance Micro Reflex uses the common Docter/Vortex/Burris/Etc. mount.

GJM
04-30-2019, 08:10 PM

Up1911Fan
04-30-2019, 08:32 PM

Whatcha got there.....?

GJM
04-30-2019, 08:38 PM
Whatcha got there.....?

First DP Pro with the new motion sensor and ruggedized mods.

Trukinjp13
04-30-2019, 08:41 PM

Got your prototype to try now? Hopefully Leupold can answer your requests. I am sure a lot of users will appreciate that.

cornstalker
04-30-2019, 08:58 PM

This is more exciting than the new stuff!!

Mjolnir
04-30-2019, 09:48 PM
I’m thinking a CZ P-10 Optics Ready would be the perfect shooter with an RMR or SRO as its super flat shooting as it is.

It’s a better shooter than the 19X but... there is no gadgetz luv for the CZ... [emoji25]

Rc217
04-30-2019, 10:07 PM
I’m thinking a CZ P-10 Optics Ready would be the perfect shooter with an RMR or SRO as its super flat shooting as it is.

It’s a better shooter than the 19X but... there is no gadgetz luv for the CZ... [emoji25]

And no readily available mounting plates or backup irons. I hope they get that stuff out soon because the gun is great.

pew_pew
05-02-2019, 08:46 AM

Even better with a milled slide.

Mjolnir
05-02-2019, 10:25 AM
Even better with a milled slide.

From the photos (only) I’ve seen the Optic sits very low in the frame. Of course, if it’s milled it can be an even tighter fit.

TAZ
05-02-2019, 11:42 AM
I bet they sell a boat load of them at that price. Most pistol shooters do not shoot a fraction of the volume of PF members and will be perfectly happy with a cheap optic - especially with so many factory optic ready pistols on are coming to market.

This, while it may look like a 5YO designed the battery tray and adjustment buttons, would be great for mounting on say a airsoft gun, a SIRT ir some other thing you use as a training gun. Heck even a low round plinker. MSRP of $160 may get it in your hands for pretty close to $100 once the new wears off. Not too shabby for a trainer.

That Guy
05-04-2019, 06:01 PM
Well, with an MSRP of $159 and a one year warranty, I guess you get what you pay for.

Might be an interesting option to mount on a .22 pistol.

Steve m
05-07-2019, 10:55 AM
GJM,

How is the new Delta Point Pro holding up?

GJM
05-07-2019, 11:00 AM
GJM,

How is the new Delta Point Pro holding up?

So far good, but I have been away at a match since last Thursday and it will be this Thursday until I shoot it again.

cornstalker
05-07-2019, 11:18 AM
So far good, but I have been away at a match since last Thursday and it will be this Thursday until I shoot it again.

Whew... I was afraid that your lips were sewn shut by an NDA... Lol.

Up1911Fan
05-07-2019, 11:26 AM
Finally put 250 rounds through my 19MOS/RMR combo this morning. I really like it. Spent a lot of that getting good 10 and 25 yard zero's. I've been doing a lot of draw's and dryfiring at home, didn't do a lot of that on the range today, I was more focused on shooting groups to establish a good solid zero. I'm really excited about working with this though, my groups at 25 were better than I can do with irons, and that's with very minimal live fire in the last 6 months.

Trukinjp13
05-07-2019, 10:06 PM
I forgot to post these. I had a lot of questions when I set up my RMR gun awhile back. I had Atei pro cut it but leave the slide bare. I prepped and painted with high temp engine paint. This was over 1 1/2 years ago. It has seen the Humid south/Michigan winters. I finally changed the battery and inspected the slide finish. I am very happy with how this has held up. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190508/b3ad3e7806ff2c15b6ce3f619c642f18.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190508/99c7032ae4555156d4c1f9c0ba368d68.jpg

I know this is not the best way. But a good option to do it on the cheap.

Wake27
05-08-2019, 05:33 AM
I forgot to post these. I had a lot of questions when I set up my RMR gun awhile back. I had Atei pro cut it but leave the slide bare. I prepped and painted with high temp engine paint. This was over 1 1/2 years ago. It has seen the Humid south/Michigan winters. I finally changed the battery and inspected the slide finish. I am very happy with how this has held up. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190508/b3ad3e7806ff2c15b6ce3f619c642f18.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190508/99c7032ae4555156d4c1f9c0ba368d68.jpg

I know this is not the best way. But a good option to do it on the cheap.

I know the Pro cut is recommended, but I saved a little bit of money by doing their universal cut and then having them cerakote that. I assumed since it was still ATEi doing the cutting, the universal cut would do the job and while I only have one, it hasn’t let me down yet.

Trukinjp13
05-08-2019, 07:31 AM
I know the Pro cut is recommended, but I saved a little bit of money by doing their universal cut and then having them cerakote that. I assumed since it was still ATEi doing the cutting, the universal cut would do the job and while I only have one, it hasn’t let me down yet.

They do great work. I did know they used cerakote to be honest with you. I know they prefer the melonite/tennifer/pvd finishes.

I think the universal cut is a very good bang for the buck. And would definitely be a improvement over a mos type system.

GJM
05-08-2019, 08:15 AM
Is there any data, beyond anecdotal, that an exact/pro cut offers optic durability benefits over a looser/MOS solution?

I thought so last summer, but now I am unsure.

Rick62
05-08-2019, 09:14 AM
Is there any data, beyond anecdotal, that an exact/pro cut offers optic durability benefits over a looser/MOS solution?

I thought so last summer, but now I am unsure.

Glad to see this point raised. I’m ready to take the optic plunge, most likely a RMR, but am stuck on the method of mounting. A “pro cut” seems to be the most secure, in theory, but I’m concerned about what happens should you face a optics failure. Expensive paperweight?
A universal pocket would afford the option of using a replacement optic, not to mention experimenting with optics that share the footprint (507c, SRO etc).
Just grabbing a MOS gun is the easy button option. No lead time for milling, and options to experiment with other optics. But the internet says the MOS system sucks and direct mill is the way to go for anything serious.
I imagine I’ll go with the MOS, mount it carefully, and go from there to avoid being married to one particular sight. I’m certainly open to hearing there’s a better path, though.

dontshakepandas
05-08-2019, 09:27 AM
Glad to see this point raised. I’m ready to take the optic plunge, most likely a RMR, but am stuck on the method of mounting. A “pro cut” seems to be the most secure, in theory, but I’m concerned about what happens should you face a optics failure. Expensive paperweight?
A universal pocket would afford the option of using a replacement optic, not to mention experimenting with optics that share the footprint (507c, SRO etc).
Just grabbing a MOS gun is the easy button option. No lead time for milling, and options to experiment with other optics. But the internet says the MOS system sucks and direct mill is the way to go for anything serious.
I imagine I’ll go with the MOS, mount it carefully, and go from there to avoid being married to one particular sight. I’m certainly open to hearing there’s a better path, though.

I would go with the Agency Arms AOS over the MOS if you want optic flexibility.

Rick62
05-08-2019, 09:33 AM
I would go with the Agency Arms AOS over the MOS if you want optic flexibility.

The AOS is appealing. It looks solid- I wonder though, do the modular plates offer a strength benefit to a universal cut for a RMR? Wouldn’t the AOS plate essentially be a universal RMR pocket- with the obvious benefit of being able to change to a different footprint entirely?

I’m not thrilled with Agency’s 10-12 week lead time, but if it’s a better mousetrap, I may go that route and just temper my impatience.

dontshakepandas
05-08-2019, 09:43 AM
The AOS is appealing. It looks solid- I wonder though, do the modular plates offer a strength benefit to a universal cut for a RMR? Wouldn’t the AOS plate essentially be a universal RMR pocket- with the obvious benefit of being able to change to a different footprint entirely?

I’m not thrilled with Agency’s 10-12 week lead time, but if it’s a better mousetrap, I may go that route and just temper my impatience.

I think the only advantage it offers over a universal RMR cut is that you can use different optic footprints in the future. If that isn't a concern for you, then I don't think there is a reason to do that over a direct mill.

So far I haven't had any issues with my RMR on my slide milled by Battlewerx, but I'm only around 2,000 rounds in. I have a second slide at Jagerwerks right now, which is also a universal cut.

leif
05-08-2019, 09:49 AM
Which Ameriglo's would I want to get for a gen5 MOS with an RMR Type 2...429?

Mitch
05-10-2019, 10:07 AM
Which Ameriglo's would I want to get for a gen5 MOS with an RMR Type 2...429?

I have that set up (type 1 RMR, but still) and I like it. It’s a little less than “lower 1/3” but definitely usable. With a small window like the RMR has I don’t want back up sights taking up a ton of visual space, so I like it.

leif
05-10-2019, 11:48 AM
I have that set up (type 1 RMR, but still) and I like it. It’s a little less than “lower 1/3” but definitely usable. With a small window like the RMR has I don’t want back up sights taking up a ton of visual space, so I like it.

Thanks.

JHC
05-10-2019, 01:43 PM
new Doctor Optics I guess. Glock centric or something.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/05/10/noblex-docter-optics-glock/

"In a bit of a carryover from our discussion last weekend, this new optic focuses on placing the dot right at the same level as the standard height sight picture. If you’ve had that familiar “hunting for the dot” feeling, the Noblex-Docter Optics sight allows for a more natural point of aim."

Da FOOK???

Trukinjp13
05-10-2019, 10:12 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190511/58ee5dca962ecf567104f7f4cf856999.jpg

Since I posted the Wilson/Acro in Acro thread. This looks like one badass EDC rig.

Sigfan26
05-10-2019, 10:28 PM

"In a bit of a carryover from our discussion last weekend, this new optic focuses on placing the dot right at the same level as the standard height sight picture. If you’ve had that familiar “hunting for the dot” feeling, the Noblex-Docter Optics sight allows for a more natural point of aim."

Da FOOK???

I like where their head is at. And, I agree. For that platform, building the optic into the plate is a key design. I’d probably opt for a design that is slightly thicker and gives a full 3-4 threads of engagement.

BigT
05-10-2019, 10:50 PM

Da FOOK???

We've discussed with them that the concept is outstanding but needs a bigger lens.

They unsurprisingly told us we were wrong. In german for emphasis

feudist
05-10-2019, 10:55 PM
We've discussed with them that the concept is outstanding but needs a bigger lens.

They unsurprisingly told us we were wrong. In german for emphasis

NEIN, dummkopf. NEIN!!

HeavyDuty
05-10-2019, 11:09 PM

Da FOOK???

Screams for a G26 MOS.

jandbj
05-11-2019, 10:05 PM
Screams for a G26 MOS.

I have a milled G26 with an RMR.... I’d totally be on board with the docter MOS for the 26... 19 & larger I’d still go RMR.

Jason
05-20-2019, 09:12 AM
RMR Newbie here. What is the current wisdom on RMR models and which place to mill the slide. SO far looking at:

(on Gen 3 glock 19s for concealed and bedside gun duty).

RMR RM02 Type 2 Anodized.
Jagerwerx for milling work.

Is this the way to go or is a different wisdom.

dontshakepandas
05-20-2019, 10:02 AM
RMR Newbie here. What is the current wisdom on RMR models and which place to mill the slide. SO far looking at:

The RM02 isn't adjustable, so you'd be forced to use the auto adjustment for brightness. It is pretty much universally suggested to go with one of the manual adjustable models so that you can specify the dot brighness. RM06 - 3.25 MOA dot and RM07 - 6.5 MOA dot. Opinions differ on the best dot size, but I prefer the 3.25.

ATEI and Jagerwerx seem to be the top two picks for milling. I just got a slide back from Jagerwerx on Saturday and it is beautiful.

TAZ
05-20-2019, 10:11 AM

RMR06 seems to be the go to for most. Offers auto brightness or manual. Is sufficiently rugged AFAIK.

L&M machining, ATI or Jagerwerks for machining have a good history. My slide was done by Jagerwerks and it’s been great.

theJanitor
05-20-2019, 01:29 PM

JW has done my two gen 3's with type1 RM06. Perfect and quickly done. Tell them to go easy on the loctite, though

awp_101
05-27-2019, 10:01 AM
Thanks for asking because I was about to start a thread on this very topic.

scjbash
05-27-2019, 01:03 PM
Thanks for asking because I was about to start a thread on this very topic.

I think this is the thread with a (heated) discussion about it.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?33077-Who-here-swears-by-red-dot-sights-for-their-daily-carry

awp_101
05-27-2019, 08:22 PM
I think this is the thread with a (heated) discussion about it.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?33077-Who-here-swears-by-red-dot-sights-for-their-daily-carry

Thanks and yeah, that thread did get a bit testy but it confirmed my thought that you wouldn't really gain from a longer slide when using an RDS equipped pistol. I also agree that if the longer slide is what feels best or is what you're used to, rock on with your bad self.

A couple of months ago I fired a Fauxland Special ZEV-09 (Z-09?) and a ZEV G34 back to back and preferred the feel of the G34. It may have been the longer grip that made it feel better instead of the longer slide though...

BigT
05-28-2019, 03:50 AM
Thanks and yeah, that thread did get a bit testy but it confirmed my thought that you wouldn't really gain from a longer slide when using an RDS equipped pistol. I also agree that if the longer slide is what feels best or is what you're used to, rock on with your bad self.

A couple of months ago I fired a Fauxland Special ZEV-09 (Z-09?) and a ZEV G34 back to back and preferred the feel of the G34. It may have been the longer grip that made it feel better instead of the longer slide though...

That thread aside, the fact that high end CO shooters who are looking for the best possible pure shooting capability of a pistol uber alles generally choose the longest slide they can get away with should be a clue.

theJanitor
05-28-2019, 12:29 PM
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx8XSqSg1iz/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

23JAZ
06-01-2019, 10:29 AM
I’ve finally decided I am going to take the plunge and direct mill an RDS to my G19 Gen 4. The ARCO is off the table for me. Is there any other viable option for a carry piece other than the RMR? Not a LEO but I want rugged and reliable. Also if the RMR is the best option (as I suspect) what dot size? I have slight astigmatism. For reference my MRO looks like a perfect dot outdoors with a very slight starburst effect indoors.

Grey
06-01-2019, 10:54 AM
I’ve finally decided I am going to take the plunge and direct mill an RDS to my G19 Gen 4. The ARCO is off the table for me. Is there any other viable option for a carry piece other than the RMR? Not a LEO but I want rugged and reliable. Also if the RMR is the best option (as I suspect) what dot size? I have slight astigmatism. For reference my MRO looks like a perfect dot outdoors with a very slight starburst effect indoors.I would go with an RMR type 2 with a 3.25 moa dot. Thats what I had before and liked it.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Trukinjp13
06-01-2019, 02:28 PM
I would go with an RMR type 2 with a 3.25 moa dot. Thats what I had before and liked it.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

This is what I have. I also have astigmatism, works pretty well. Nice being able to set the brightness to your liking.

theJanitor
06-01-2019, 02:34 PM
I've sourced Type 1 RM06's so as to not have the auto-feature. But I guess a daily equipment check at a lunchtime bathroom break would take care of that

Does anyone have the 1MOA dot? I've always wondered if a finer dot at a brighter setting would be better than a bigger dot at a lower setting?

Gray01
06-01-2019, 02:45 PM
Is there any other viable option for a carry piece other than the RMR...I want rugged and reliable.

This review posits quite “rugged” for CCW.

https://youtu.be/JuOyq90oa-Q

David S.
06-01-2019, 07:01 PM
So far, of the RM06 and RM07, I prefer the latter. The 6.5 seems more stable and slightly easier to find. I can hit 8” plates out to 50 yards reliably if I do my part.

My preference may eventually migrate towards the smaller dot as I become more proficient.

pew_pew
06-03-2019, 01:23 PM
Talking of astigmatism, I have one and feel that the RM07 creates less of an odd shape. Maybe because the dot is bigger and then brightness can be lower? I find the quality of shape of the dot directly relates to brightness with me. The 6.5 MOA dot is very easy to shoot fast. I can see why big dots dominate USPSA in carry optics. But it’s definitely harder to be super accurate with one. The RM06 is probably the perfect middle ground and why it’s so popular. 1 MOA on a pistol would be tough I think. But Aaron Cowan recently went from 6.5 MOA dots to 1 MOA and says it’s awesome.

The only dot gun I have is my milled G45 with RMR but I’m about to do a G17 with a DPP with no backup sights for fun.

Gray01
06-03-2019, 02:33 PM
Talking of astigmatism, I have one and feel that the RM07 creates less of an odd shape. Maybe because the dot is bigger and then brightness can be lower? I find the quality of shape of the dot directly relates to brightness with me. The 6.5 MOA dot is very easy to shoot fast. I can see why big dots dominate USPSA in carry optics. But it’s definitely harder to be super accurate with one. The RM06 is probably the perfect middle ground and why it’s so popular. 1 MOA on a pistol would be tough I think. But Aaron Cowan recently went from 6.5 MOA dots to 1 MOA and says it’s awesome.

The only dot gun I have is my milled G45 with RMR but I’m about to do a G17 with a DPP with no backup sights for fun.

At a certain point I think that there is a legitimate difference/requirement between practical accuracy and, as you put it, "super" accuracy. I do not foresee myself in my increasing dotage and within the confines of CCW of taking shots greater than the longest distance inside of my house, (about 40-50 feet). Because of our chosen lifestyle, we do not do malls, theaters, crowd venues; we might frequent a restaurant once a year if that. I will advance that for a sedate civilian CCW'er, MOAH (Minute of Adam-Henry) is sufficiently accurate.

hfrog355
06-04-2019, 03:58 PM
Didn't realize there was a 2019 version of this topic. Sorry for getting into the old one.

Anxiously awaiting a 2.5 MOA SRO to send off to ATEI for milling. Will be my first slide mounted dot to own! Going to practice with it for a bit, but ultimately see this being a nightstand gun (if everything goes smoothly) with a possible foray into USPSA CO.

StraitR
06-04-2019, 07:23 PM
Shot my 45 MOS with Acro today. Love the dot. The dot speaks truth. Got some work to do.

Boomer
06-19-2019, 08:25 PM
I just received my Trijicon SRO 5moa today. Pulled the RMR off my Glock and slapped this on, just to get a feel. Wow! That window looks HUGE compared to the RMR! Also much less of a tint to the glass. The window looks much larger than I was expecting, based upon the actual published dimensions of the SRO vs. RMR windows. Then I realized why. The bottom of the SRO window is level with the top of the rear housing, whereas on my RMR, the top of the rear housing is actually higher than the bottom of the window, causing it to occlude the very bottom of the window when in use. The entirety of the SRO window is visible in use.
Also, since the SRO window sits just a bit higher, my suppressor height sights, which were 1/3 plus co-witness, are now about a 1/4 minus co-witness. They are in the very bottom of the window. I really like having less of the irons intruding on the glass, but still there if needed.

All in all, my initial impression is very positive.

Here are a couple quick and dirty cell phone pics.

Dot is smaller than it shows in the pic. Apparently I'm too uncoordinated to get everything lined up AND in focus.

Boomer
06-20-2019, 09:00 AM
Hopefully it fares better than some of the others that have been sent out. . Jeez, Trijicon....really??

JodyH
06-28-2019, 07:12 AM
Jagerwerks milled Glock 19X for the Trijicon RMR/SRO footprint.
Ameriglo plain black GL-429 suppressor height sights.
Currently topped off with a 2.5moa SRO.

Strictly a gaming/T&E pistol until the slide mounted MRDS tech matures.

If something new and awesome comes out that's not RMR footprint compatible I'll just buy one of the dozens of aftermarket G5 19 slides that are available and have it cut.

GJM
07-10-2019, 09:53 PM
New product:

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/275152-ftp-optics-alpha-3-red-dot-reflex-sight/

Steve m
07-15-2019, 07:32 AM
Enjoying my Gen5 Glock 17 with the Delta Point Pro. I turn it off when not in use. So far so good, have roughly 550 rds thru it. I am noticing my speed is going up and group size is going down. Next month i'm gonna try it a local IDPA match and see how I do. Thanks to everyone for the assist for the set up advice.

Thanks
Steve

theJanitor
08-01-2019, 09:00 PM
I didn’t know where to put this, so here’s a good a place as any.

I had nighthawk install a rmr on my cco last April. When I got it back, the trijicon plate came loose after a week, which only required me to loctite the system into place.

I didn’t know at the time, but the wrong battery was installed. Today, when I noticed my dot was light, I undid the RMR to change the 2032 and found a much thinner 2016 battery in the housing.

It worked for 15 months, two clicks down from max. I thought I saw it flicker during one range session, but can’t confirm positively if it was the optic or me losing the dot during recoil

I’ve only got about 1000 rounds through this pistol with the dot on it, maybe it would have been worse if I shot more.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190802/1ab4e1e1a463081086d3a6a98dc090b7.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190802/75ff412cfbe03fc322f0eba015ef2023.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190802/f32e6672804a128db06d79d22c3e7db9.jpg

cornstalker
08-04-2019, 09:57 PM
I am surprised that it worked.

I would think you should be able to expect more from Nighthawk.

theJanitor
08-05-2019, 01:34 AM
I am surprised that it worked.

I would think you should be able to expect more from Nighthawk.

I bought the optic from cabelas, and there was a battery in the trijicon box. I won’t place blame on where the wrong battery entered the picture

cornstalker
08-05-2019, 10:11 AM
I bought the optic from cabelas, and there was a battery in the trijicon box. I won’t place blame on where the wrong battery entered the picture

I guess no good would come from trying to place blame. Don't know what I was thinking. Sorry about that.

Is yours a Type 2? If so, that really is confirmation of the effectiveness of the upgraded battery contacts.

theJanitor
08-05-2019, 10:41 AM
Type 1. I didn’t want the auto-off feature, and they were on sale