PDA

View Full Version : Is practicing wrong ever right?

High Country
03-19-2012, 10:52 AM
I broke my trigger finger and it will be pinned straight for another 5 weeks. This has prompted me to practice more WHO shooting (which I need badly). My question is should I still be practicing my normal draws and press out even though I cannot put my finger on the trigger? Will this build training scars or do you think I am over analyzing?

Shane

JM Campbell
03-19-2012, 01:19 PM
Definitely train you to keep the booger hook off the trigger till your ready to fire. I honestly think you have a great way to train WHO and keep a regiment of it after the healing process. You basically have no excuses now not to.

Hope you heal well and speedy.

JHC
03-19-2012, 07:36 PM
Definitely train you to keep the booger hook off the trigger till your ready to fire. I honestly think you have a great way to train WHO and keep a regiment of it after the healing process. You basically have no excuses now not to.

Hope you heal well and speedy.

I don't think the reps would hurt a bit and as Skyline said, WHO opportunity.

Failure2Stop
03-19-2012, 08:08 PM
If my dominant hand was injured I would instantly transition to the other side for carry and training.

DocGKR
03-19-2012, 09:08 PM
A few years ago when I severely cut my right hand and lost its use for several months, I immediately went to a left hand holster and drove on with practice.

LSP972
03-20-2012, 07:37 AM
A few years ago when I severely cut my right hand and lost its use for several months, I immediately went to a left hand holster and drove on with practice.

This^.

I tore up my right hand fighting with a drunk once (note to self; do not hit somebody up side the head with your fist); the swelling didn't go down for several weeks. They put me on light duty, working the desk, but I still had to wear a uniform. I had a S&W M-39 ASP pistol I was using for off-duty carry; I put it in a Bianchi IWB clip holster over my left kidney, for a palm-out left handed draw, with a spare magazine tucked next to my wallet.

This worked pretty good; the only problem was de-cocking, because that pistol did not have an ambi safety-decocker. I would kneel and tuck the pistol behind my knee to reload; the fingers on my right hand were totally immobilized and useless. But I fired the off-duty qual course and passed, using my left hand only. We were still shooting at 50 yards for the "duty gun" course, but the off-duty course was limited to 25 yards. Don't think I could have done well at 50 with only my off hand, not to mention the Guttersnipe sight on that gun was never intended for use much past 7 yards....

Keep in mind, this was back in Dark Ages, when every cop toted a revolver, and some were still carrying their spare ammunition in dump pouches. Milt Sparks was making the Summer Special, but most of us hadn't gotten the word yet and had to rely on the type of mass-produced cheap holsters that would make an experienced gun guy laugh today.

But the point is, I adapted as best I could. There are always options.

Tamara
03-20-2012, 12:03 PM
A couple years ago, when I hurt my right shoulder, it served as a reminder (http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/2010/07/contingencies.html) to get myself a left-handed holster for my 1911.

(Note To Self: Get one for M&P9, now. :o )

Mr_White
03-20-2012, 03:53 PM
Best time to train up the support side is before the strong side is injured, no doubt.

I did that with my left/support side when I carried strong side IWB. Need to do that again now that I've switched to AIWB though.