PDA

View Full Version : Hungarian Hi Power back from The Action Works

Tokarev
03-20-2019, 05:04 PM
Here is a PJK-9HP I bought used from a friend some months back. The pistol was the typical B-series pistol with the high gloss blue. As seems to be common with these guns, there was some evidence of over polish. A few slightly crooked/ buffed out lines, etc. Also, the gun failed the click test. I have no history of usage. My friend said he never shot it. Despite the poor safety/sear engagement the gun seemed generally tight and mechanically sound.

I sent it to Mr Williams right after I bought it with the instructions to put on some decent sights, flatten and polish the feed ramp and clean up the sear engagement. I also asked him to refinish in matte blue.

The gun came back today and I don't think I could be happier. The matte finish looks great. The feed ramp is nice and shiny and the trigger breaks at a crisp and clean 6 pounds. The sights look great. They're big enough to be useful but not so big they overpower the pistol and look like a complete afterthought. Yeah, I'm talking to you Browning and your adjustable sight models...

I think my only regret is not having some additional work done. I probably should have had the mag well beveled and an extended/ambi safety installed.

No worries. The gun looks great and will work fine as an occasional shooter and general range toy.

Thanks, Don. You do nice work!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190320/c76f80d9f4a6ee65c520c9c7d07a26dd.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190320/a6d9575456839a8cfa857d36c53693b1.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190320/5b93b310bb1aca703ac1239f577e9f5c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Tokarev
03-20-2019, 05:14 PM
Another with the hammer back. Note the bobbed hammer. This was done by a previous owner at some unknown point.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190320/581906bcf603692263a12147082ea7a7.jpg

Tokarev
03-20-2019, 06:12 PM
What does the hive mind say? Change the grips or keep the classic wood? And if I do change what do I go to?

farscott
03-20-2019, 06:38 PM
That Hi Power looks really nice. Don Williams does first-class work.

I like the grips but wonder if they provide enough traction with the smooth frame straps. If they work for you, I would keep them. If not, some VZ320 would work really well.

Tokarev
03-20-2019, 06:39 PM
In better lighting. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190320/4505408dc880a8d6565ccd298392aa54.jpg

alohadoug
03-20-2019, 07:38 PM
What does the hive mind say? Change the grips or keep the classic wood? And if I do change what do I go to?

I think the whole thing is a mess and you should immediately send it to me.

I'd keep the wood. Love the classic look.

Alpha Sierra
03-20-2019, 08:49 PM
I vote for LOK grips and checkering the front and back straps.

MattyD380
03-20-2019, 11:50 PM
Nice. Looks great. I want to get an SFS kit in my Hi Power at some point. Probably some sights. I suppose a trigger job wouldn't hurt either.

Let us know how she shoots.

Evil_Ed
03-21-2019, 05:40 AM
Find a set of Craig Spegel grips (last I recall Cylinder & Slide sold them)...they're worth the money. Alternatively a set of VZ G10 grips, if you prefer slimmer grips, are good to go as well. You can also get a set of Navidrex grips from Brownells (Currently on backorder) - they might require a little fitting but they also work really well, and are a lot less expensive than other alternatives in general.

All of these options will turn the grip from a 2x4 facsimile to something that's really super comfortable. It's probably the biggest ergonomic change you could make to a BHP...

TiroFijo
03-21-2019, 07:51 AM
Safety still looks too small...

Tokarev
03-21-2019, 08:01 AM
Safety still looks too small...

[emoji16]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190321/067e0054a43348a95a29c071018eccfc.jpg

MattyD380
03-21-2019, 10:08 AM
Find a set of Craig Spegel grips (last I recall Cylinder & Slide sold them)...they're worth the money. Alternatively a set of VZ G10 grips, if you prefer slimmer grips, are good to go as well. You can also get a set of Navidrex grips from Brownells (Currently on backorder) - they might require a little fitting but they also work really well, and are a lot less expensive than other alternatives in general.

All of these options will turn the grip from a 2x4 facsimile to something that's really super comfortable. It's probably the biggest ergonomic change you could make to a BHP...

I have the VZ G10s on my MKIII. They’re great. Even with the stock trigger setup, the gun is a freakin laser.

Tokarev
03-21-2019, 10:28 PM
I have the VZ G10s on my MKIII. They’re great. Even with the stock trigger setup, the gun is a freakin laser.VZs can look very nice on the right Hi-Power. I'm not sure the FEG qualifies. If I change grips it'll likely have to be something wood.

Evil_Ed
03-22-2019, 06:30 AM
VZs can look very nice on the right Hi-Power. I'm not sure the FEG qualifies. If I change grips it'll likely have to be something wood.

http://www.misplaced.net/~edward/arfcom/bhp/20151004_145933.jpg

Yes, VZs can look pretty swank on the right tool :D

Chuck Whitlock
03-22-2019, 09:54 AM
VZs can look very nice on the right Hi-Power. I'm not sure the FEG qualifies. If I change grips it'll likely have to be something wood.

Yup.

Tokarev
03-22-2019, 09:57 AM
Yup.

36377MKIII pistols look good with them certainly.

Another consideration; does a $400 pistol warrant $80 grips?

Chuck Whitlock
03-22-2019, 10:04 AM
MKIII pistols look good with them certainly.

I lucked into my DEEPLY blued MKIII for ~$650...look at it as less total investment.

The old Uncle Mike's rubber version of the Spegal grips were really great, but to get a set I'd have to buy the used MKII they were attached to at a nearby LGS.

The factory checkered French walnut grips look amazing, and correct, but they fit my hands horribly.

Tokarev
03-22-2019, 10:06 AM
I lucked into my DEEPLY blued MKIII for ~$650...look at it as less total investment.

The old Uncle Mike's rubber version of the Spegal grips were really great, but to get a set I'd have to buy the used MKII they were attached to at a nearby LGS.The Uncle Mike Spegel grips pop up from time to time. Going rate is ~ $100.

Chuck Whitlock
03-22-2019, 10:10 AM
The Uncle Mike Spegel grips pop up from time to time. Going rate is ~ $100.

At that price point, I think you'd be money ahead buy a used specimen sporting them. I want to say I bought them new in the mid 90's for $20-$30.

Tokarev
03-22-2019, 10:11 AM
At that price point, I think you'd be money ahead buy a used specimen sporting them. I want to say I bought them new in the mid 90's for $20-$30.Yeah I'd likely buy some G10 grips from Mil-Tac before dropping $100+ for used rubber.

03RN
03-22-2019, 11:32 AM
MKIII pistols look good with them certainly.

I thought they were warranted on a $350 gun

Tokarev
03-22-2019, 11:36 AM
I thought they were warranted on a $350 gun
36382Another way to phrase. Would you put VZs on a Taurus?

03RN
03-22-2019, 11:47 AM
Another way to phrase. Would you put VZs on a Taurus?

Well, I wouldn't buy a Taurus.

Tokarev
03-22-2019, 12:00 PM
Well, I wouldn't buy a Taurus.Well, there is that.

I have generally been pleased with the FEG clones but the later model guns were pretty sloppy. I'm sure there are plenty out there who wouldn't buy one regardless of price.

03RN
03-22-2019, 12:39 PM
I've only shot a few and they worked just fine. I'd have no problem buying one. Yours looks great and I think getting the best grips no matter the price will make it a great whether wood or g10.

Tokarev
03-22-2019, 03:14 PM
From my own observations over the years, the FEG pistols started out nice but eventually fell victim to what often happens. Quality goes down to meet a price point.

The first guns I remember seeing were Hi Power-ish but differed in the shape of the grip tang. These guns also had a vent rib on top of the slide.

Second batches were basically clones of the 60s and 70s vintage Browning. They were nicely fitted and polished with a nice finish and nice grips. Sights were the tiny rear sight and half moon front.

Third batches were similar to the old school Browning but had slightly improved 3-dot sights. Fit and finish was decent but not as good as the earlier guns.

Next up were guns with black plastic grips and an extended safety. These were usually pretty sloppy and I believe were the true "price point" clones.

Last batches had a 1911 style slide stop. The few I've seen use slightly different lock work and a barrel that isn't a Hi Power copy. But there may have been some guns that fell into this category that still used Browning pattern guts. I'm not sure on this one.

Also imported but made by FEG were the Mauser guns. These appear to have been built to the tighter fit and finish but bear Mauser branding. I'm not a Mauser collector but wouldn't mind having one of these just because.

Anyway, none of this is anything more than observations from owning a few of these over the years, seeing them at shops and shows, etc.

BTW--this gun here is one of the models that had wood grips (obviously) but with the 3-dot sights.

Tokarev
03-22-2019, 05:27 PM
Forgot about the Charles Daly/FEG guns. I've never seen one in person but these were reported to have come into the country as partially complete and then were finish machined in the States. Quality is generally reported to be good and they seem to bring a pretty decent price.

https://gunner777.wordpress.com/2007/09/30/the-charles-daly-hi-power-compared-to-the-browning-hi-power/

Tokarev
03-22-2019, 05:28 PM
http://www.misplaced.net/~edward/arfcom/bhp/20151004_145933.jpg

Yes, VZs can look pretty swank on the right tool :D

Nice heater. Who did the work?

Jaywalker
03-22-2019, 08:23 PM
Here's a set of Spegal grips on my BHP. They're kingwood, I think.

I bought the pistol in 1981, but the grips sometime around 2009. Funny -- I couldn't find any for sale so I called Craig Spegal to ask if he knew where I could find some and he had them available.

Tokarev
03-22-2019, 08:26 PM
Here's a set of Spegal grips on my BHP. They're kingwood, I think.
36433Thanks. Consider them sold pending funds. Please PM with payment instructions.

MattyD380
03-22-2019, 09:42 PM
Anyone ever try the FEG P9R/P9Rc guns?

http://www.hungariae.com/feg/FegP9R.jpg

They look roughly Hi Power-ish... but they're actually DA/SA. Just curious--you don't hear too much about these. Went to a friend's house to shoot and he had one laying around. Didn't shoot it, but it had a nice feel I suppose.

Tokarev
03-22-2019, 09:44 PM

They look roughly Hi Power-ish... but they're actually DA/SA. Just curious--you don't hear too much about these. Went to a friend's house to shoot and he had one laying around. Didn't shoot it, but it had a nice feel I suppose.I had one a LONG time ago in 45 Auto. It was sort of a cross between a Hi Power and a S&W M39.

JAD
03-22-2019, 09:45 PM
A buddy had a DA in the 90s and I shot it quite a lot. The trigger was not elegant but it was fine. The reason to get a P35 though is because P35s are super cool. That’s not a P35. There are a lot of other guns out there that are not P35s that would work better and present fewer holster issues etc.

MattyD380
03-22-2019, 09:49 PM
Didn't know they came in 45. That's cool. Yeah... it ain't a BHP. But apparently the Hungarian military uses those things--so I guess they're decent guns. Really knew nothing about them until I Googled the model at my friend's place.

Tokarev
03-23-2019, 09:14 AM
Didn't know they came in 45. That's cool. Yeah... it ain't a BHP. But apparently the Hungarian military uses those things--so I guess they're decent guns. Really knew nothing about them until I Googled the model at my friend's place.

I don't know about the DA/SA guns but I imagine they were made to meet someone's military or police requirement. I can't imagine that FEG would have done the R&D work just for the commercial (United States) market.

The FEG Hi-Powers appear to have been quite popular with Israeli police forces and prison facilities. It is my understanding that all the used guns recently imported by Century Arms are coming in from Israel. I wonder what other entities might have used these guns.

Tokarev
03-23-2019, 11:06 AM
Just finished watching Final Option to put myself in a Hi Power mood. Now off to shoot a few rounds to see how the refinished pistol works.

medic15al
03-23-2019, 02:52 PM

They look roughly Hi Power-ish... but they're actually DA/SA. Just curious--you don't hear too much about these. Went to a friend's house to shoot and he had one laying around. Didn't shoot it, but it had a nice feel I suppose.

I did as a rookie paramedic, moonlighting as armed security. Mine fed everything I gave it, including some PMC 95 grain softpoints back in the early 90s. (9mm) I could load an empty case and top off with ammo, and it would feed the case fine! Loaded it with Cor-Bon 124 JHPs when working.

First chance I got I promptly purchased a S&W M-19 4-in and carried Federal 125 357s in it... I worked Birmingham so I wanted a sure thing back then... Wish I was young and dumb again!

Mine was the KBI import marked one, as well as the several PJK-HPs I have.

Tokarev
03-23-2019, 04:47 PM
Shoots a couple inches left at 25 yards. Am I pushing the gun while working the trigger or does it actually shoot a little left?

A kiss with the sight tool should fix that. Now why didn't I take the sight tool with me to the range? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190323/6bcf0bd417a8301ada07628562878183.jpg

Evil_Ed
03-25-2019, 07:30 AM
Nice heater. Who did the work?

Novak, their renamed FBI package. Stippled front and backstraps, bobbed hammer, Black-T, Bar-Sto barrel with a C&S thumb safety (I happened to have one in it already when I sent it, they asked me if I wanted to replace it with theirs; I asked them if theirs was any better, I got "meh" back as an answer, so they kept it)

Even with the bobbed hammer and no-bite mod they do to it, I still get hammerbit...then again I have big/fat hands, so..

I sent them a C&S no-bite hammer/sear kit with their %100 no-bite rowel hammer to fit to it as well, after I discovered I still get bit with the bobbed hammer, and while it's truly no-bite...it doesn't look right on the gun IMO. And, even after they worked their magic on the trigger, the pull is still a solid 6-7lb with the C&S kit in. It's crisp, but heavy IMO. Not unworkable but heavier than I think it should be. So I keep the bobbed hammer/factory sear in there and just live with the bite. It's not too bad until around the 250 round mark; by then it's finally removed enough skin to start getting bloody.

Tokarev
03-25-2019, 04:13 PM
Novak, their renamed FBI package. Stippled front and backstraps, bobbed hammer, Black-T, Bar-Sto barrel with a C&S thumb safety (I happened to have one in it already when I sent it, they asked me if I wanted to replace it with theirs; I asked them if theirs was any better, I got "meh" back as an answer, so they kept it)

Even with the bobbed hammer and no-bite mod they do to it, I still get hammerbit...then again I have big/fat hands, so..

I sent them a C&S no-bite hammer/sear kit with their %100 no-bite rowel hammer to fit to it as well, after I discovered I still get bit with the bobbed hammer, and while it's truly no-bite...it doesn't look right on the gun IMO. And, even after they worked their magic on the trigger, the pull is still a solid 6-7lb with the C&S kit in. It's crisp, but heavy IMO. Not unworkable but heavier than I think it should be. So I keep the bobbed hammer/factory sear in there and just live with the bite. It's not too bad until around the 250 round mark; by then it's finally removed enough skin to start getting bloody.

The Hi-Power will nick me across the inside of my left thumb knuckle if I'm not careful. Depending on the gun I think it is either the bottom of the slide itself or the sharp pointed spot on the safety notch that bites me. The spur hammer as used by FN since the 1970's doesn't pinch me but the old school ring hammer sure does.

Tokarev
03-26-2019, 07:05 AM
The Hi-Power will nick me across the inside of my left thumb knuckle if I'm not careful. Depending on the gun I think it is either the bottom of the slide itself or the sharp pointed spot on the safety notch that bites me. The spur hammer as used by FN since the 1970's doesn't pinch me but the old school ring hammer sure does.Ha! I just read my post. Why did I say left thumb gets cut? I shoot right handed. I was thinking left side of the slide cuts my right thumb....

Evil_Ed
03-26-2019, 07:11 AM
I had a beautiful late 60s T series with the ring hammer...it was just painful to shoot between the seemingly piano wire thin trigger welting my finger, and then the shank of the hammer eating the web of my hand like it was hungry for human sacrifice. I couldn't get more than 3 or 4 mags through it before my finger got a welt and my hand got bloody. I wound up selling it because as much as it physically hurt me, I couldn't bring myself to send it out to get cut up. The spur hammer on the new one I bought to replace it still ate my hand, but it was the spur of the hammer this time...not the shank. Go figure.

Tokarev
03-26-2019, 07:57 AM
I had a beautiful late 60s T series with the ring hammer...I couldn't bring myself to send it out to get cut up.

I understand that. If and when I send a real Hi-Power out for serious mods it'll likely be an Israeli surplus MKII or MKIII off Gunbroker. Something that's already got zero collector value/interest.

The spur hammer on the new one I bought to replace it still ate my hand, but it was the spur of the hammer this time...not the shank. Go figure.

Note the abbreviated spur hammer that's in my FEG. The previous owner(s) took a file to the tang and removed a quarter inch or so. Whoever did it actually did a pretty decent job of squaring things up and making it look clean and intentional. I don't know for certain but think the hammer is an FN part and not a FEG part because I've never seen an original FEG with anything other than a ring hammer. The one caveat to this is the Kareen pistols. Those all seem to have come with a spur hammer.

Evil_Ed
03-26-2019, 08:25 AM
I understand that. If and when I send a real Hi-Power out for serious mods it'll likely be an Israeli surplus MKII or MKIII off Gunbroker. Something that's already got zero collector value/interest.

Yup - I bought an Izzy MkIII (early, forged frame sadly...I was looking for a cast one, but oh well, cheap is cheap) for future projects that I may or may not do. It fails the click test pretty badly and has a trigger pull best measured in kilograms and not pounds...but, it's a BHP, and it'll make a great tackle box gun if I ever need one for that purpose. I'd splurge and buy a Bar-Sto or other BHP threaded barrel for it for giggles but that would cost nearly as much as the gun did :D

There's a tiny part of me that wants to buy a .40 BHP just to see how it shoots..

Tokarev
03-26-2019, 08:33 AM
Yup - I bought an Izzy MkIII (early, forged frame sadly...I was looking for a cast one, but oh well, cheap is cheap) for future projects that I may or may not do. It fails the click test pretty badly and has a trigger pull best measured in kilograms and not pounds...but, it's a BHP, and it'll make a great tackle box gun if I ever need one for that purpose. I'd splurge and buy a Bar-Sto or other BHP threaded barrel for it for giggles but that would cost nearly as much as the gun did :D

There's a tiny part of me that wants to buy a .40 BHP just to see how it shoots..I have a friend who sent a 40 BHP out and had a 9mm barrel. His plan was to use it extensively with +P ammo. I need to reach out to him and see how that project came out.

Tokarev
03-27-2019, 08:51 AM
https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a16720630/browning-hi-power-production-ends/

feudist
03-27-2019, 01:42 PM
https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a16720630/browning-hi-power-production-ends/

Nice pic of the Brit. 14 Int?

Mexican crossdraw appendix!

Sal Picante
03-27-2019, 02:51 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190320/5b93b310bb1aca703ac1239f577e9f5c.jpg

Do you have a craving for Gulyas or Paprikash yet?

All I can say is: Kurva jó!

Tokarev
03-27-2019, 03:01 PM
Do you have a craving for Gulyas or Paprikash yet?

All I can say is: Kurva jó!Hungary is known for many wonderful things...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190327/470b297745a0f07c8a8a26cd2cf5a0c6.jpg

Tokarev
03-27-2019, 08:55 PM
Nice pic of the Brit. 14 Int?

Mexican crossdraw appendix!At least his finger is off the trigger.

Is the hammer back? I can't see that clearly on my phone. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190328/78062804357d87f7a472ff76419e5fd4.jpg

Tokarev
03-30-2019, 02:35 PM
According to a fellow on another forum, FEG is working on a new version of the Hi Power. It will be cut for an RMR and have suppressor height sights. It will also frame a frame rail.

lee n. field
03-30-2019, 06:29 PM
According to a fellow on another forum, FEG is working on a new version of the Hi Power. It will be cut for an RMR and have suppressor height sights. It will also frame a frame rail.

I thought FEG was out of business.

Tokarev
03-30-2019, 06:51 PM
I thought FEG was out of business.I thought so too. Wikipedia says FÉG was actually bought out and now makes HVAC equipment.

So is the company getting back into firearms or is someone buying the firearms brand as is the case with Springfield and Armalite?

Suposedly an SA85 AK pistol is also on the way.

Joe in PNG
03-31-2019, 10:32 PM
JG has the Mauser stamped version of the FEG DA Highpower in stock for $429 (https://www.jgsales.com/mauser-90da-semi-auto-pistol,-9mm,-wood-grips,-blued,-hi-power-pattern,-g-vg,-used.-p-103209.html?osCsid=f36a1ae5cba6b2063e50ae8a0a4adcd 3).

feudist
04-02-2019, 12:31 PM
JG has the Mauser stamped version of the FEG DA Highpower in stock for $429 (https://www.jgsales.com/mauser-90da-semi-auto-pistol,-9mm,-wood-grips,-blued,-hi-power-pattern,-g-vg,-used.-p-103209.html?osCsid=f36a1ae5cba6b2063e50ae8a0a4adcd 3).

How much Hi Power is in that? What's the DA trigger like?

Tokarev
04-02-2019, 01:41 PM
How much Hi Power is in that? What's the DA trigger like?Zero Hi Power other than maybe a few styling cues.

I haven't seen one of these guns in awhile but I remember them being typical of the area. Long and heavy DA with a short and decent SA.

Joe in PNG
04-02-2019, 03:10 PM
How much Hi Power is in that? What's the DA trigger like?

I wouldn't know, but some of the folks upthread were talking about them.

Tokarev
04-06-2019, 07:10 PM
How many of these does a fellow need?

I came across this one today. It is in pretty nice condition overall. Apparently stock other than the deletion of the mag safety. There is some finish wear in spots and a tiny bit of surface rust on the slide stop. It should clean up with oil and some 000 steel wool.

Unlike my other sample that is marked "PJK-9HP" on one side of the slide and "KBI HARRISBURG PA" this slide is unmarked on the right other than with the serial number. The left side reads "CAL 9MM PARABELLUM MADE IN HUNGARY FEG BUDAPEST"

There do not appear to be any import marks. I wonder if the gun was bought in Europe and brought home by a GI.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190407/e08017559cd33ce02c3cf0300a161876.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190407/bc39457a10efef5e1e8598618761b0ca.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190407/dd683215efc624119be4948d3b94d765.jpg

Tokarev
04-06-2019, 07:41 PM
Information about the FÉG Hi Power pistols can be found in this book – "DECODING THE FÉG HI-POWER" by Jerry Paregien, G. M. Frazier.

Not a comprehensive historical piece but rather some observations the author made while appealing a number of these pistols.

Sigfan26
04-06-2019, 08:10 PM
How many of these does a fellow need?

I came across this one today. It is in pretty nice condition overall. Apparently stock other than the deletion of the mag safety. There is some finish wear in spots and a tiny bit of surface rust on the slide stop. It should clean up with oil and some 000 steel wool.

Unlike my other sample that is marked "PJK-9HP" on one side of the slide and "KBI HARRISBURG PA" this slide is unmarked on the right other than with the serial number. The left side reads "CAL 9MM PARABELLUM MADE IN HUNGARY FEG BUDAPEST"

There do not appear to be any import marks. I wonder if the gun was bought in Europe and brought home by a GI.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190407/e08017559cd33ce02c3cf0300a161876.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190407/bc39457a10efef5e1e8598618761b0ca.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190407/dd683215efc624119be4948d3b94d765.jpg

Nice find! That needs a full Karl Sokol workover!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tokarev
04-06-2019, 09:18 PM
Nice find! That needs a full Karl Sokol workover!

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkObviously I like these guns and believe they are solid shooters. But are they worth a full gunsmith investment? I don't think these are looked at as being equal to the real deal. Not like Colt 1911s vs Springfield 1911s certainly.

I just got done cleaning the pistol and wiping all the fingerprints off. The bit of surface rust is going to take a bit more work to remove. Also, there is a good around of rust under the left grip panel.

Sigfan26
04-06-2019, 09:34 PM
Obviously I like these guns and believe they are solid shooters. But are they worth a full gunsmith investment? I don't think these are looked at as being equal to the real deal.

Not sure why they wouldn’t be... The full Browning Package from Sokol is only $750 (including refinish). Add a Brownells threaded barrel, (maybe night sights) and you have a Dale Miller Special! (Points for those that get the reference)

Sigfan26
04-06-2019, 09:37 PM
Obviously I like these guns and believe they are solid shooters. But are they worth a full gunsmith investment? I don't think these are looked at as being equal to the real deal. Not like Colt 1911s vs Springfield 1911s certainly.

I just got done cleaning the pistol and wiping all the fingerprints off. The bit of surface rust is going to take a bit more work to remove. Also, there is a good around of rust under the left grip panel.

It’d actually be a bit cooler on a com block gun like the FEG, to me. I’m sure there was one or two dudes with a tuned up FEG in Eastern Europe back in the day.

Tokarev
04-07-2019, 08:52 AM
...Browning Package from Sokol is only $750...

What all is included with the Sokol package? I assume new sights and trigger work. What else? Stippling the grip? Mag well beveled?

Don Williams has a basic package at $475. This includes trigger and reliability work plus new sights. Only the slide is reblued with the package. Next up is his Tactical Package at almost $1200. This adds some C&S internal parts as well as grip work. Night sights are used too.

Sigfan26
04-07-2019, 10:14 AM
What all is included with the Sokol package? I assume new sights and trigger work. What else? Stippling the grip? Mag well beveled?

Don Williams has a basic package at $475. This includes trigger and reliability work plus new sights. Only the slide is reblued with the package. Next up is his Tactical Package at almost $1200. This adds some C&S internal parts as well as grip work. Night sights are used too.

http://chestnutmountainsports.net/cmspackages.htm

Tokarev
04-07-2019, 10:18 AM
http://chestnutmountainsports.net/cmspackages.htm

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkAha! Thank you.

I'll send him an email to see if he works on non-FN guns.

theJanitor
04-07-2019, 11:12 AM
Frank Glenn did the refinish on my Sokol. Karl’s work was excellent

Tokarev
04-07-2019, 01:52 PM
Frank Glenn did the refinish on my Sokol. Karl’s work was excellent

36997Nice heater.

Sokol's hammer mod looks quite unique. Would you mind posting another pic or two of it?

Additional pics of the gun as a whole would also be appreciated.

theJanitor
04-07-2019, 06:54 PM
Sokol's hammer mod looks quite unique. Would you mind posting another pic or two of it?

Sorry. Gun is gone. Traded for a nice Novak Colt.

Some of the stippling was duke when the coating the gun had on was stripped

Tokarev
04-08-2019, 06:48 AM
Sorry. Gun is gone.

Well, thanks for posting what photos remain. I see Sokol's stippling ends in a point. That's kind of different. It might take some getting used to, aesthetically.

How was the painted finish? Did you have the gun re-blued for any particular reason? I haven't generally had good luck with painted finishes from a wear standpoint and would probably go with a matte blue or phosphate finish. Hard chrome possibly for the ultimate in corrosion and wear resistance.

I've sent Karl an email asking about his workload and if he works on non-FN guns.

Tokarev
04-08-2019, 08:52 AM
Here's a Sokol gun I found while surfing the webz:

theJanitor
04-08-2019, 12:03 PM
Here's a Sokol gun I found while surfing the webz:

I believe that's my gun, before I had the coating stripped and blued. I won it in 2012 on a Gunbroker auction

Tokarev
04-08-2019, 12:13 PM
I believe that's my gun, before I had the coating stripped and blued. I won it in 2012 on a Gunbroker auctionLooks like you had a nice pistol.

With that said, I don't really care for the C&S safety. I don't like the flat profile of the pad and wish they would update it with an arched or humped pad.

On a related note; Mr Sokol replied promptly to my email inquiry. He says he's worked on FM and FEG guns and not had any trouble with them.

So a $750 complete package or something less? Maybe just new sights, a general buff and tune and a reblue. More or less what Don did to my first pistol just done by a different smith.

Sigfan26
04-08-2019, 12:18 PM
Looks like you had a nice pistol.

With that said, I don't really care for the C&S safety. I don't like the flat profile of the pad and wish they would update it with an arched or humped pad.

On a related note; Mr Sokol replied promptly to my email inquiry. He says he's worked on FM and FEG guns and not had any trouble with them.

So a $750 complete package or something less? Maybe just new sights, a general buff and tune and a reblue. More or less what Don did to my first pistol just done by a different smith.

I’d do the package. The price for all the work done is just too good to pass up.

theJanitor
04-08-2019, 12:37 PM
Tokarev , I generally don't like painted finishes, and Frank Glenn has magic in his bluing tanks. I did it just because I could

Tokarev
04-08-2019, 02:15 PM
Another couple photos I pirated from the web. Note the aggressive "minimalist" hammer mod as well as the enlarged thumb safety pad.

Both mods look good. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190408/9978c1861f2149591be40de3058f464d.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190408/fe7fdfd3d2166a945c5767e2340ffed4.jpg

Tokarev
04-10-2019, 07:58 AM
I’d do the package. The price for all the work done is just too good to pass up.

I've now exchanged several emails with Karl Sokol about his $750 package. This package is pretty all-inclusive and really is a "best buy" as you mention.

For reference, here's a list of what's included:

BROWNING PACKAGE.....$ 750.
• Novak rear sight black open notch, Novak dovetail front sight white dot
• Crown barrel
• Throat and polish barrel, chamber, tune extractor, deburr breech face and firing pin hole
• Fit and tune mags (3)
• Modify hammer semi-bob
• Round and smooth trigger
• Trigger job
• Stipple front and rear of frame
• Dehorn entire pistol
• Bevel mag well
• Wolff 18 1/2 # recoil spring and F.P. spring
• Refinish entire pistol black Mountain Tuff
• Extended safety (if required) Add $ 70

The only changes I'm going to make is the addition of the extended safety and a blued finish as opposed to paint. I am also going to ask for a tritium front with plain black rear as opposed to the painted white dots. The only thing I've not asked about is his bobbing of the hammer. Can he clean up and bob the old school ring hammer or would he prefer I find and provide a newer spur type?

This should be a fun project!

newt
04-10-2019, 08:41 AM
Not much to add, but I know Karl(there aren't many of us Vermonter's left in the shooting world) and have handled some of his HPs. He's a great guy to work with, well respected. And his shooters are great.

Tokarev
04-10-2019, 08:46 AM
Not much to add, but I know Karl(there aren't many of us Vermonter's left in the shooting world) and have handled some of his HPs. He's a great guy to work with, well respected. And his shooters are great.Cool. Thanks for the feedback..

Tokarev
05-04-2019, 04:37 PM
So I guess I'm now officially a Hungarian Hi-Power collector.

This gun is in pretty decent overall shape although (like all three I own) shows evidence of being carried a bit.

There are quite a few fine scratches in the finish and a little surface rust in the serrations on the safety. The magazine safety is gone and the grip screws and magazine catch screw are a little buggered up but not terribly so.

Most interesting is the bobbed hammer and slide stop axle that's cut flush. I thought I'd replace both parts but don't want to spend almost $100 total for these parts. And the bobbed hammer has actually grown on me. It looks unique and different yet functional. I think the lock time is better this way too.

No plans for this one yet. Maybe I'll have the feed ramp flattened and have modern sights installed. Heinie this time instead of Novak?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190504/c81704c9621fdc8d13e841ccb2b2705a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190504/75ff69f00fc06778234fa30b7efcd06c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190504/c45c8c4b57ad48a997e1bcc4c49c6439.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190504/28a00101046cdc3670c8c38a16f4f65e.jpg

Sigfan26
05-04-2019, 04:47 PM
So I guess I'm now officially a Hungarian Hi-Power collector.

This gun is in pretty decent overall shape although (like all three I own) shows evidence of being carried a bit.

There are quite a few fine scratches in the finish and a little surface rust in the serrations on the safety. The magazine safety is gone and the grip screws and magazine catch screw are a little buggered up but not terribly so.

Most interesting is the bobbed hammer and slide stop axle that's cut flush. I thought I'd replace both parts but don't want to spend almost $100 total for these parts. And the bobbed hammer has actually grown on me. It looks unique and different yet functional. I think the lock time is better this way too.

No plans for this one yet. Maybe I'll have the feed ramp flattened and have modern sights installed. Heinie this time instead of Novak?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190504/c81704c9621fdc8d13e841ccb2b2705a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190504/75ff69f00fc06778234fa30b7efcd06c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190504/c45c8c4b57ad48a997e1bcc4c49c6439.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190504/28a00101046cdc3670c8c38a16f4f65e.jpg

That looks cool! Have you checked ignition with the bobbed hammer? A buddy did his Sig 225 and I did my 228. Neither were very reliable at igniting hard primers post bob (too much mass removed from the hammer). Granted, those were rebounding hammer guns (unlike the HiPower).

Tokarev
05-04-2019, 04:48 PM
That looks cool! Have you checked ignition with the bobbed hammer? A buddy did his Sig 225 and I did my 228. Neither were very at igniting hard primers post bob (too much mass removed from the hammer). Granted, those were rebounding hammer guns (unlike the HiPower).

Nope not yet. Hopefully it'll work.

Sigfan26
05-04-2019, 04:51 PM
Nope not yet. Hopefully it'll work.

One concern I would have is the strength of the part. The oversprung nature of the hipower combined with the faster lock time could lead to the hammer breaking. This is all supposition. Honestly, though, I’d verify function, have some barrel work done to help with feeding good defense ammo, good sights, upgrade the thumb safety, and find someone to nitride it. Oooohhhh, or hard chrome it! And carry it.

Sigfan26
05-04-2019, 04:52 PM
Double post

Tokarev
05-04-2019, 04:55 PM
One concern I would have is the strength of the part. The oversprung nature of the hipower combined with the faster lock time could lead to the hammer breaking. This is all supposition. Honestly, though, I’d verify function, have some barrel work done to help with feeding good defense ammo, good sights, upgrade the thumb safety, and find someone to nitride it.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI hadn't thought about nitride. That might be a nifty finish. NP3 might be another nice option. Heck. Maybe Robar can do the other stuff while they're doing a refinish.

I'll have to see about a plain black rear and gold bead front. That would be a nice classic sight setup.

ralph
05-04-2019, 04:57 PM
I hadn't thought about nitride. That might be a nifty finish. NP3 might be another nice option. Heck. Maybe Robar can do the other stuff while they're doing a refinish.

I'll have to see about a plain black rear and gold bead front. That would be a nice classic sight setup.

Nitride? Did someone say nitride?37804

Here's a CZ done in black nitride www.blacknitride.com

Tokarev
05-04-2019, 04:59 PM
Nitride? Did someone say nitride?37804

Here's a CZ done in black nitride www.blacknitride.comNice. Mind telling me what they charged? Frame and slide or all metal parts?

Sigfan26
05-04-2019, 05:04 PM
Nice. Mind telling me what they charged? Frame and slide or all metal parts?

Not sure on your location, but I know a dude at H&M West.

ralph
05-04-2019, 05:05 PM
Nice. Mind telling me what they charged? Frame and slide or all metal parts?

Frame, slide barrel, saftey levers, slide stop, $200, and about 2weeks turnaround, this pistol was at CGW, for some work, as it's somewhat of a unicorn CZ, And I had CGW send it to H&M, depending on where you're at, they also have a shop in AZ, mine was done at their Akron, OH facility, follow the link, at the bottom of the page is a short vid showing the process, note at the start, the kinds of things that can be nitrided..

Tokarev
05-05-2019, 07:55 AM
Frame, slide barrel, saftey levers, slide stop, $200, and about 2weeks turnaround, this pistol was at CGW, for some work, as it's somewhat of a unicorn CZ, And I had CGW send it to H&M, depending on where you're at, they also have a shop in AZ, mine was done at their Akron, OH facility, follow the link, at the bottom of the page is a short vid showing the process, note at the start, the kinds of things that can be nitrided..Thanks for the info. Nitride would certainly be an option. I'll talk to H&M about treating the frame and slide plus safety and slide stop once I figure out what I'm going to do with the gun. I usually think Hi-Powers look best when the barrel is left in the white but I might even have the barrel nitride coated.

Tokarev
05-05-2019, 08:29 AM
Alright. Some sight options.

First up is the Harrison retro rear sight. I'm assuming the small FEG dovetail could be opened up and/or the Harrison sight could be modified to fit.

The benefits would be lower purchase price and probably less installation work/cost. And this sight wouldn't change the pistol's current profile much.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190505/f56e3328ea07b3f051874361c3c27da6.jpg

Next is the rear sight from Heinie. Probably second or even possibly tied with the Novak in popularity. The benefits are a blade that's angled downwards and serrations so it should always provide a nice dark sight picture. Probably equal to the Novak in terms of parts and labor.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190505/5ba8b572f136b01e47e31310fdd0c85a.jpg

And the Novak. This shape, in my opinion, blends well with the Hi Power slide. Down side is no ledge or shelf for working the slide via the rear sight. Still, this remains a popular option both factory and aftermarket.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190505/7753a3c12f57f807221273e66914ceea.jpg

For this latest pistol I'm thinking a plain black rear and a gold bead front sight although a tritium front sight is also an option I'm considering. Or possibly the Heinie Straight 8 or traditional Novak 3-dot night sight set.

Tokarev
05-05-2019, 03:26 PM
Here's one with the hammer at rest. The pistol sure looks strange without a spur or rowl sticking out the back.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190505/c92c1cac9363431fe2a29a81c11cde2d.jpg

JonInWA
05-05-2019, 03:37 PM
To my eyes, the Novak sight looks aesthetically the best with a High Power, but I'd suggest their wide-notch black variant. And a High Power with a bobbed hammer just looks wrong, or unbalanced, or as if something's missing-both cocked or at rest...but maybe that's just me. The key thing, of course, is that ignition's reliable...

Best, Jon

Tokarev
05-05-2019, 04:01 PM
To my eyes, the Novak sight looks aesthetically the best with a High Power, but I'd suggest their wide-notch black variant. And a High Power with a bobbed hammer just looks wrong, or unbalanced, or as if something's missing-both cocked or at rest...but maybe that's just me. The key thing, of course, is that ignition's reliable...

Best, JonYes. The profile is wrong without the familiar big round or thin and pointy hammer spur sticking out the back. I feel the same about aftermarket hammers such as the C&S. Probably quite functional but just not "right" for the pistol.

With that said, form follows function. In this case someone took time and effort to get the hammer where they wanted it. It is my pistol now but I appreciate the work. Someone liked the gun enough at one point to try and make it look unique. Or it could have been someone got bored or was practicing their filing skills and didn't want to mess up a nicer handgun.

In any case, as long as it works I will leave it in there. Mainly because I don't feel like dumping 20% of the purchase price on a new hammer.

entropy
05-05-2019, 05:10 PM
Here's one with the hammer at rest. The pistol sure looks strange without a spur or rowl sticking out the back.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190505/c92c1cac9363431fe2a29a81c11cde2d.jpg

Looks like Grace Kelly wearing baggy sweatpants!

Tokarev
05-05-2019, 06:54 PM
Looks like Grace Kelly wearing baggy sweatpants![emoji1787]

Tokarev
05-06-2019, 10:33 AM
Not my pistol.

Here's a pretty good photo of a Hi Power with Heinie sights. I'm sure the sight picture is good but I'm not really liking the change to the slide's profile. But I kind of like the look of the bobbed hammer. Go figure. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190506/8ed4f62a448cce5b0cfeaa9e7ea8ca5e.jpg

Sigfan26
05-06-2019, 09:53 PM
Sorry. Gun is gone. Traded for a nice Novak Colt.

Some of the stippling was duke when the coating the gun had on was stripped

Was the stippling fairly grippy?

Tokarev
05-07-2019, 06:29 AM

The $750 Sokol package does seem to be the best option for a "full house" build. There isn't much the gun would need outside the package other than maybe a bigger thumb safety and a fitted barrel.

The latest purchase is probably the best choice for a Sokol build given that it has already been somewhat modified from its original form. Also, the Kassnar PJK guns are fairly common while the P9 guns aren't. My P9 is stock and unmolested other than the deletion of the mag safety. I think I'll leave it original and use this latest purchase as a basis for a daily beater.

JAD
05-07-2019, 08:46 AM
Alright. Some sight options.

First up is the Harrison retro rear sight. I'm assuming the small FEG dovetail could be opened up and/or the Harrison sight could be modified to fit.

The benefits would be lower purchase price and probably less installation work/cost. And this sight wouldn't change the pistol's current profile much.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190505/f56e3328ea07b3f051874361c3c27da6.jpg

I have the Harrison or an analog on several pistols including my P35. I pair it with a serrated no-outline tritium front. That is my preferred setup.

theJanitor
05-07-2019, 12:36 PM
Was the stippling fairly grippy?

It was grippy enough for 9mm. Some of it was lost during the refinish. I'm not a fan of stippling for the most part

Robinson
05-07-2019, 12:55 PM
I have the Harrison or an analog on several pistols including my P35. I pair it with a serrated no-outline tritium front. That is my preferred setup.

The Harrison retro is my favorite fixed rear sight and I'd have it on all my 1911s with fixed sights if I could. Of course, it is designed to fit the GI dovetail cut so it won't work on most modern 1911s without modification to the slide.

Looks nice on the Hi Power too.

Tokarev
05-07-2019, 07:05 PM
37932That looks nice. Might you be able to post another pic or two of the rear sight mounted to the slide?

On a related note; who's the maker of the holster?

JAD
05-07-2019, 07:53 PM
The gun is in storage but I’ll try to remember next time it comes out for a walk. The holster is an exceptional piece of work called a Watson by JRC.

Tokarev
05-07-2019, 07:57 PM
The gun is in storage but I’ll try to remember next time it comes out for a walk. The holster is an exceptional piece of work called a Watson by JRC.Sounds good. Thanks.

And a nice pistols needs a nice holster.

Tokarev
05-07-2019, 10:01 PM
The holster is an exceptional piece of work called a Watson by JRC.

Now that I'm thinking about it I believe I've seen you mentioning the holster before.

My go to, for leather anyway, has historically been Galco or Kramer depending on the gun and how "seriously" I plan on taking it. Lately I've learned of Privateer Leather out of Utah and have just ordered my 2nd holster from him.

entropy
05-08-2019, 07:27 AM
Wes’ stuff is the schnizzit.

fatdog
05-08-2019, 08:04 AM
Privateer has become my favorite leather, especially for BHP's

Tokarev
05-08-2019, 11:41 AM
I found this online. This is a FEG that was worked over by Cylinder and Slide.

https://www.bing.com/th?id=OIP.weXoWQjzAGxjUvrKpnFo2gHaE-&pid=Api&rs=1&p=0

Tokarev
05-13-2019, 05:21 PM
Just sent a Belgian Hi-Power off to Karl Sokol today. I had thought about sending him a Hungarian but decided the Browning needed more love. The gun is in decent shape but has a bunch of holster wear. Plus the front sight has a ding in it.

I asked him for the $750 package and an extended thumb safety. I asked for matte blue rather than the painted finish. I also enclosed some Brownell's Navidrex grips.

I don't know what kind of turnaround time I'm looking at. I'll post updates/pics when possible.

Tokarev
05-13-2019, 06:49 PM
Oops I forgot to include:

I fired a mag of 147 Gold Dots and about 50 rounds of CCI Blazer through the FEG bobbed hammer gun with no ignition issues.

JAD
06-08-2019, 06:25 PM
The gun is in storage but I’ll try to remember next time it comes out for a walk. The holster is an exceptional piece of work called a Watson by JRC.
Tokarev
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190608/06817d3d6b295bbc707c93a250205a5a.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190608/c6912ac76efc685791ead80cc817b42d.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190608/eff2c419df4ac78b4e8ba84ee6dde526.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190608/13caba53338eb0aff4614f7b1b96ec82.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190608/f740cc61d6d47e69e722e4ef64ff6a43.jpg

Tokarev
06-08-2019, 10:31 PM
Tokarev
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190608/06817d3d6b295bbc707c93a250205a5a.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190608/c6912ac76efc685791ead80cc817b42d.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190608/eff2c419df4ac78b4e8ba84ee6dde526.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190608/13caba53338eb0aff4614f7b1b96ec82.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190608/f740cc61d6d47e69e722e4ef64ff6a43.jpgThank you for the photos. The pistol looks fantastic.

Tokarev
06-21-2019, 07:21 PM
Here are some pics I found on the web of a FÉG that was worked over by Novak's.

I wish a couple of these weren't so dark.

Anyway, it is interesting to me that someone liked the gun enough to have what looks like a full build done.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190622/ecda84f90b70dfaa32fdfef1c90e0a58.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190622/757368a8ca721779e88dede1922f15b4.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190622/f7a8a11299a02fc998027006476512cb.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190622/7be36be1cd657dc95d7aabb3e81ce295.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190622/188c96e9d9ceafc98f3d95a901a28599.jpg

Tokarev
08-11-2019, 08:30 PM
I replaced the grips today on one of my FEG pistols and found some fairly decent rust accumulation under the grips. I polished it out pretty well and also cleaned up the slight patina on the backstrap.

This got me to thinking what I should do with this gun. The bobbed hammer and flush cut slide stop pin are "keepers" and I'm thinking of asking someone if they might do some sort of Devel-ish restomod for me.

I'm not so sure I'd go with the Millett sights. Probably would stick with Novaks or maybe Heinie just to be a little different. Or use the Harrison rear and a gold bead front as already seen elsewhere in this thread. I am also not too sure about the 1911-ified slide stop. Does it not look odd to see the front half of the slide stop cut off?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190812/f8cc37a21f38530deedc3d7dba2dcc02.jpg

Overall, the gun pictured above looks pretty nifty and is certainly a unique flavor for a Hi Power.

Here's something that used to be pretty common. A S&W revolver rear installed into a Hi Power slide. Note that the rear sight sits in the notch left from removing the fixed rear. Another option was to leave the rear in place but file and polish it into the slide so that it filled the dovetail. Something like this might be nifty too.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190812/ca96836c1179b8030ef4055d5c05d07b.jpg

Just for reference, here is the FEG in question with its new Navidrex grips from Brownell's.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190812/b3f749a25788161a1c23c8205bd2502a.jpg

Bucky
08-12-2019, 05:16 AM
I am also not too sure about the 1911-ified slide stop. Does it not look odd to see the front half of the slide stop cut off?

Personally, I think that may be the best mod on the gun. I find the original slide stops to be goofy, from both an appearance and functional point of view. The original is very unfriendly to a thumbs forward grip, IMO.

Tokarev
08-12-2019, 07:20 AM

Note that the safety notches in the slide have been welded shut thereby allowing the slide to be worked while the safety is engaged. Neat!

Tokarev
10-15-2019, 10:24 AM
Just received an email from Karl Sokol. My BHP project is complete. I'll get him a final payment check in the mail today and will post pics ASAP.

For simplicity I'll probably just start a new thread...

theJanitor
10-15-2019, 12:09 PM
I'm not so sure I'd go with the Millett sights. Probably would stick with Novaks or maybe Heinie just to be a little different. Or use the Harrison rear and a gold bead front as already seen elsewhere in this thread.

The Heinie sights specific to the HiPower are the absolute nicest, IMO

Tokarev
10-16-2019, 02:32 PM
The Heinie sights specific to the HiPower are the absolute nicest, IMO

I kind of like the looks of the Ledge although I haven't actually seen a set installed on an HP.

theJanitor
10-16-2019, 04:24 PM
I kind of like the looks of the Ledge although I haven't actually seen a set installed on an HP.

https://i.imgur.com/E7UtE01.jpg?1

Tokarev
10-16-2019, 07:42 PM
I imagine the Heinie Ledge would look pretty close to this. Especially with the back overhang cut off.

https://www.1911addicts.com/proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Flive.staticflickr.co m%2F65535%2F48898561482_42b70360e0_c.jpg&hash=3e1cdc05bdd2f7d0a09f05b990a7d7da

Tokarev
10-17-2019, 05:31 AM
Let's try that photo again.

This is a pistol worked over by Jason Burton. He says the rear sight is one he uses on 1911s.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191017/69a83bbc03f7503e4a53acf3b6cb8462.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191017/38f0fb84b2368513a432eafbe6f19e01.jpg

Robinson
10-17-2019, 07:14 AM
Have you been visiting "Louder than Words" ? Man, some great work to view over there.

Tokarev
10-17-2019, 07:37 AM
Have you been visiting "Louder than Words" ? Man, some great work to view over there.

Is that board still active? It used to be "the place" to see work from Yost, Williams, Christiansen, etc. Last I checked, which was a few years ago, there hadn't been much activity.

Tokarev
10-17-2019, 07:43 AM
Here's a Heinie gun from back in the day. I don't believe he's building guns any longer.

I find it interesting that he moved the rear sight forward a bit and recessed the overhang into the slide rather than blending it into the back. I like it.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8325/8124003272_16a6354e58_b.jpg

Robinson
10-17-2019, 08:21 AM
Is that board still active? It used to be "the place" to see work from Yost, Williams, Christiansen, etc. Last I checked, which was a few years ago, there hadn't been much activity.

Yes, I saw those Burton HP pics over there.

Tokarev
10-17-2019, 08:42 AM
Yes, I saw those Burton HP pics over there.

Yeah I was just over there. Saw the Burton pics. He does nice work.

Tokarev
10-17-2019, 08:48 AM
A pistol with a bobbed hammer and what appears to be the Heinie Ledge rear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0Gi9NFtero

willie
10-17-2019, 09:56 AM
I have admired HP's like forever and sold off all but one. I disliked sights which had a high position on the slide because, for me, they detracted from the pistol's smooth lines. The HP has a super strong hammer spring. Some claim the reason is that this pistol was a European military weapon. Note this. The slide is light weight. The heavy heavy spring assists in retarding slide velocity. Hammer spring weight is the essential element in slowing down slide backward movement. Recoil spring weight is secondary. So be careful when replacing the original hammer spring with a lighter one. Also, consider using standard pressure ammo, not +P.

theJanitor
10-17-2019, 12:00 PM
Here's a Heinie gun from back in the day.

That's my photo. To be honest, I didn't like the sight arrangement, even though Heinie's are my favorite sights. The amazing thing about that gun was the checkering and the beavertail. I sold it when I consolidated back into 1911's

Tokarev
10-17-2019, 12:09 PM
I didn't like the sight arrangement, even though Heinie's are my favorite sights.

What didn't you like? Partial obscuration of the rear sight blade? Marginally shorter sight radius?

I sold it when I consolidated back into 1911's

What's this 1911 thing you speak of? Are they still making those things? I think I saw one in the Imperial War Museum in London some years back....

theJanitor
10-17-2019, 12:24 PM
For me, if the rear sight is going to be milled in, I want the rear blade to be at the rear of the slide. the Heinie classic and slant-pro provide a sight picture similar to the Bomar. I like seeing a tall serrated blade.

Here's the heinie, trimmed up by Garthwaite, and installed on my Colt

https://i.imgur.com/MX9U1sU.jpg?1

Medusa
10-17-2019, 01:11 PM
A pistol with a bobbed hammer and what appears to be the Heinie Ledge rear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0Gi9NFtero

That mag release solution seems like it’d kinda be less than ideal for carry as a lefty, but I’d sure love to try one out. I don’t think I’ve fired a hi-power but would like to.

theJanitor
10-17-2019, 09:44 PM
I’ve got a couple of these hard-to-find pieces for a future build. They just need to be dehorned and shaped for carry
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191018/5772a551e22baeb0999ac3dd8b6e924f.jpg

Tokarev
10-18-2019, 11:23 AM
I don't know how this rear might look on a Hi-Power but it is a nice option for someone who's got a Bomar cut wanting a "hard use" rear sight.

http://www.10-8performance.com/1911-modular-rear-sight/

Tokarev
10-21-2019, 08:28 AM
Here's a Ledge install. What I don't like about it (in this case anyway) is that the rear corners of the sight overhang the back corners of the slide.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_Bl5moDtqPQM/S29QbeP2OXI/AAAAAAAAAyY/sT-MSYVPXbI/s800/IMGP0820.JPG

Tokarev
10-31-2019, 09:35 AM
Here's a legless Heinie Ledge. I like it. The sight looks clean and proportional on the gun.

https://www.1911addicts.com/attachments/fb_img_1566755540175-jpg.310937/

Tokarev
12-16-2020, 07:26 PM
Anyone remember this hammer?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190504/c81704c9621fdc8d13e841ccb2b2705a.jpg

Here it is in a Browning pistol I had worked over by Karl Sokol.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201210/b21d8faabe1a779e6a0da9f846b55399.jpg

feudist
12-17-2020, 12:28 AM
I just had a C&S ignition set, trigger and "no bite" hammer installed on a FEG.

The hammer bites and the trigger slaps my finger painfully enough that I don't want to shoot it.

Are Hipowers/FEGs known for this?

Tokarev
12-17-2020, 10:12 AM
I just had a C&S ignition set, trigger and "no bite" hammer installed on a FEG.

The hammer bites and the trigger slaps my finger painfully enough that I don't want to shoot it.

Are Hipowers/FEGs known for this?Not in my experience. I guess the question has to be asked. Did the gun whack your finger before having C&S parts added?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

feudist
12-17-2020, 12:54 PM
Not in my experience. I guess the question has to be asked. Did the gun whack your finger before having C&S parts added?

I think it did.

I bought it and fired 50 through it. It had a 9 lb trigger and severe hammer bite. So it's hard to say.

Tokarev
12-17-2020, 03:35 PM
I think it did.

I bought it and fired 50 through it. It had a 9 lb trigger and severe hammer bite. So it's hard to say.Maybe some helpful info here:

https://www.1911forum.com/threads/trigger-slap-argy-hi-power.469966/

Joe in PNG
12-17-2020, 05:59 PM
I put the C&S 'No Bite' hammer in my HP. It did make a huge difference in hammer bite, but it's the difference between "small mark that fades by the next day" vs "bruised & bleeding cut" I had with the original hammer.

As for trigger slap, I've never noticed any on mine.

feudist
12-17-2020, 11:51 PM
I put the C&S 'No Bite' hammer in my HP. It did make a huge difference in hammer bite, but it's the difference between "small mark that fades by the next day" vs "bruised & bleeding cut" I had with the original hammer.

As for trigger slap, I've never noticed any on mine.

Could a faulty installation produce trigger slap?

Tokarev
12-20-2020, 08:03 AM
Could a faulty installation produce trigger slap?After reading through a couple threads on other forums I'm inclined to wonder if the bottom of the barrel cam is contacting the top of the trigger. Do you see any evidence that the barrel and trigger are making contact with each other?

Joe in PNG
12-20-2020, 06:33 PM
Could a faulty installation produce trigger slap?

I don't know.

Tokarev
01-18-2021, 09:40 PM
feudist

Did you get the trigger slap stuff figured out?

feudist
01-18-2021, 10:14 PM
feudist

Did you get the trigger slap stuff figured out?

On the back burner for now.