PDA

View Full Version : Double Action - How much am I missing out on?

Jay585
03-13-2019, 10:27 PM
I've been hearing about how useful a double action is in learning to shoot well.

I don't have a DA pistol, and I'm wondering if I should get one. Don't really have a huge want for one, but if it gives me a quantifiable improvement shooting my Glocks, I could see it being worthwhile.

If it's worth getting a DA pistol, what do you recommend?

Joe in PNG
03-13-2019, 10:29 PM
I've been hearing about how useful a double action is in learning to shoot well.

I don't have a DA pistol, and I'm wondering if I should get one. Don't really have a huge want for one, but if it gives me a quantifiable improvement shooting my Glocks, I could see it being worthwhile.

Easy.
S&W K frame, or Beretta 92D.

Lester Polfus
03-13-2019, 10:32 PM
I've been shooting a GP100 since October, and I've found I've been shooting everything better.

I'm not totally new to DA shooting. I carried an M9, then later a 5906 and 4006 on duty, but they were only DA for the first shot, and it's been rather a long time.

Padwan
03-13-2019, 11:18 PM
Easy.
S&W K frame, or Beretta 92D.

I’ll second the K-frame, especially if you can get one of the older guns at trade-in prices. I got one when I had plateaued in terms of trigger control and with the help of a more experienced shooting buddy, it helped me a lot. I think all he did was smooth up the rebound slide and install a Wolff mainspring and it made the DA pull very easy to learn and manage.

Don’t have enough time behind a 92D to comment but I think there’s a thread here somewhere that’s devoted to it.:D

pangloss
03-13-2019, 11:38 PM
I bought a HK P30 and have shot most of 2,200 rounds through it in DA. I've only shot Glocks a couple of times since I started shooting the P30, but the low left bullet impacts that I've historically struggled with had disappeared the last time I shot my G26. I also bought a S&W 64 a little over a year ago, but I haven't shot it much. I really dislike cleaning revolvers. However, I'm generally pleased with my results thus far, however informal the results are.

In the spirit of being a good PF enabler, I feel compelled to announce that there are several 92Ds listed on Gunbroker tonight with buy now prices of about $350.

Jay585
03-15-2019, 11:56 AM
Well since I don't have a revolver anymore I'm leaning towards the S&W K Frame.

Any thoughts on a snub-nosed model vs one with a longer barrel?

Jason M
03-15-2019, 12:07 PM
It's hard to beat the all around utility and value of a 4 inch .38/.357 revolver. While I lean toward old K frame S&W, the Ruger GP100 is a nice gun too. Look for older police trades that pop up from time to time. My Glock abilities have improved with increased time with a TDA pistol.

Alpha Sierra
03-15-2019, 12:45 PM
It's hard to beat the all around utility and value of a 4 inch .38/.357 revolver.
This bears repeating. S&W Models 10, 13, 15, 64, 65, and 67 is where it's at.

ubervic
03-15-2019, 12:48 PM
I bought the inexpensive SIG SP2022 to A) learn, enjoy and master the TDA trigger system and B) improve my trigger control with any platform. I feel that I accomplished both.

GuanoLoco
03-15-2019, 12:56 PM
CZ P-07/P-09 DA/SA complements Glock 17/19 really well.

Jason M
03-15-2019, 01:13 PM
This bears repeating. S&W Models 10, 13, 15, 64, 65, and 67 is where it's at.

I have an older 3" RB 65 that is best of breed and was < $150 from a pile of old cop guns.

Alpha Sierra
03-15-2019, 01:14 PM
I have an older 3" RB 65 that is best of breed.
So do I. Last handgun I will ever get rid of.

ASH556
03-15-2019, 01:19 PM
100% a DA gun will teach you things about trigger control that you'll never learn from a Glock. However, I also think there's value in the SA pull as well. Sure, it's short and light, but you can snatch it just as easily as you can any other trigger.

I'd go classic Sig or Beretta if I were you.

GlockenSpiel
03-15-2019, 01:45 PM
I love revolvers, but most of your suitable choices will be .38 special, which is 2x the price of 9mm. If you want the skill derived from a da trigger but actually want practice making it go bang, your dao semi-auto (or da/sa) would be cheaper in the long run.

J. J. Magnum
03-15-2019, 02:07 PM
In my opinion a DA revolver will make you a better shooter. The concentration required to make everything work each and every time is invaluable. Once you master the DA revolver the Glock "safe action" or the trigger on my SIG P365 are easy to operate. My son wanted to shoot all the "cool pistols" but I started him on a S&W M17 to work on his targeting through the trigger stroke. He thanks me for it now.

Duelist
03-15-2019, 02:39 PM
I have an older 3" RB 65 that is best of breed and was < $150 from a pile of old cop guns.

I think I hate you, just a little.

I have a 13-3 3” RB. 95% or so. I paid ... kind of a lot for it.

Duelist
03-15-2019, 02:40 PM
I love revolvers, but most of your suitable choices will be .38 special, which is 2x the price of 9mm. If you want the skill derived from a da trigger but actually want practice making it go bang, your dao semi-auto (or da/sa) would be cheaper in the long run.

As J.J. said, start with a .22, and you won’t have that problem. M18 is one of my favorite for a lot of reasons.

Alpha Sierra
03-15-2019, 02:57 PM

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/75/03/3b/75033b1817d18f3918c6ae532deb45be.jpg

Jason M
03-15-2019, 03:19 PM
I think I hate you, just a little.

I have a 13-3 3” RB. 95% or so. I paid ... kind of a lot for it.

I know the prices today are way higher. I was quietly buying them when everyone was transitioning to pistols. Found a similar deal on a LNIB 3" RB Mod 10-8 with all papers and an intact box. It pays to buy your LGS guy/gal a bottle of their favorite when they bird dog the things you covet.

Joe in PNG
03-15-2019, 04:06 PM
Well since I don't have a revolver anymore I'm leaning towards the S&W K Frame.

Any thoughts on a snub-nosed model vs one with a longer barrel?

I got both, and would recommend the 4" for range & target fun. Though if you can grab a 3" for a reasonable amount, get it.

Every American should own a S&W K-Frame.

gomerpyle
03-15-2019, 04:30 PM

Yes it's worth it - DA really helps you focus on a clean trigger pull. Do it SHO and WHO - the only way you can pull that DA trigger without moving the sights is pulling the trigger in one continuous motion at a constant speed, be it fast or slow. Roll through it.

beretta 92d or any beretta 92/px4.
a sig 22X DAK
HK LEM
revolver

I'd get a TDA semi auto (I love the Beretta 92)- not only would you gain valuable experience with the DA pull, but also experience transitioning from the first DA trigger pull to the second SA pull - for TDA, remember the first pull is a roll, the second is a press.

awp_101
03-15-2019, 05:15 PM
Every American should own a S&W K, L and N-Frame.
FIFY :D

Bergeron
03-15-2019, 06:26 PM
I’m trying the 92D route while my Glocks are in the shop.

It is teaching me to absolutely commit to the trigger pull and controlling the front sight through the press.

Strong hand only has been showing me what parts of my hand I’m sympathetically moving with press, and I’m working on isolating and eliminating it.

Too bad the 92 doesn’t mount a RDS like a Glock, the trigger instruction would be even clearer.

Revolver or Beretta-D, the ease of continuous rapid-fire dry fire is nice.

edison
03-15-2019, 10:31 PM
You're not missing out.

If you're a person that can self-diagnose your shooting, then I would do ben stoeger's drill "trigger control at speed"
It's not a drill you master & move on, it's something you'll work with constantly.

I'm not saying it's wrong to use supplements or cross-training, but I don't think it's that beneficial.
Nothing you can't overcome with just paying attention to why you're disturbing the sights on your glock & work on it.

Unless you just want a new toy & you're justifying the expense; I would just focus on your chosen platform.

OlongJohnson
03-15-2019, 10:39 PM
My vote is a GP100. Big and heavy, more durable than an L frame. Supposedly, the slickest S&W is slicker than the slickest GP, but my GP is slicker than all the S&Ws that I haven't gone through yet. If you only end up with one general purpose revolver for all doing of revolver things, it's the one.

Use the ammo search engines. There's .38 SPL out there for less than 2x the price of 9mm. I am still chewing on a couple cases of wadcutters I picked up for $0.17/rd on sale. That's unusual, but it happened. And if you get into shooting volume of live loads, get a Dillon and make it cheap.

I really like dry fire practice with a spinny magazine. Just load it up with snap caps and go to town as fast as you can press the trigger. Dagga Boy has said that he keeps one around for that reason.

03RN
03-15-2019, 10:53 PM
My vote is a GP100. Big and heavy, more durable than an L frame. Supposedly, the slickest S&W is slicker than the slickest GP, but my GP is slicker than all the S&Ws that I haven't gone through yet. If you only end up with one general purpose revolver for all doing of revolver things, it's the one.

Use the ammo search engines. There's .38 SPL out there for less than 2x the price of 9mm. I am still chewing on a couple cases of wadcutters I picked up for $0.17/rd on sale. That's unusual, but it happened. And if you get into shooting volume of live loads, get a Dillon and make it cheap.

I really like dry fire practice with a spinny magazine. Just load it up with snap caps and go to town as fast as you can press the trigger. Dagga Boy has said that he keeps one around for that reason.

Are gp's really more rugged than L frames?

And where are you getting brass cased .38s for .17cpr?

OlongJohnson
03-15-2019, 11:25 PM
My understanding is that the GP came about when the L frame didn't adequately address the concerns of LE customers regarding the durability of S&Ws.

It was an exceptional sale, but this is the place:
https://www.precisiondelta.com/products/38-spl-148gr-hbwc-remanufactured-ammunition/

I see it for $0.26-0.30/rd without even trying.

Bucky
03-16-2019, 06:10 AM
Too bad the 92 doesn’t mount a RDS like a Glock, the trigger instruction would be even clearer.

You could try a laser. That’ll give you major trigger pull feedback

Wheeler
03-16-2019, 09:25 AM
If you're looking for a DA or DAO pistol to practice for shooting your striker fired pistols, get a Sig P250 with the .22 X-Change kit.

OlongJohnson
03-16-2019, 11:02 AM
If you're going that route, just get a P250 in .22LR. They're cheaper than X-change kits.

Spartan1980
03-16-2019, 11:55 AM
Are gp's really more rugged than L frames?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that they are probably equivalent to S&W 27s and 28s. At least the 6 shot GPs. Their cylinder lockup is just "tank like". You'll never get the pristine trigger action of a S&W though because they have a really heavy hammer required with it's transfer bar and a longer lock time. But they can be tuned to be plenty nice enough. They're a helluva good gun for the money.

03RN
03-16-2019, 02:28 PM
My understanding is that the GP came about when the L frame didn't adequately address the concerns of LE customers regarding the durability of S&Ws.

It was an exceptional sale, but this is the place:
https://www.precisiondelta.com/products/38-spl-148gr-hbwc-remanufactured-ammunition/

I see it for $0.26-0.30/rd without even trying.

Thanks.

I recently found perfecta .38 for $210/k. I bought 2 and wish I bought more. Nice brass at least.

Wheeler
03-16-2019, 06:09 PM
If you're going that route, just get a P250 in .22LR. They're cheaper than X-change kits.

I picked up one recently with the .40 and .22 for just over three bills. It's all in where you find the deals.

FWIW I could have cared less about the .40 upper but I'll keep it and it's one lonely magazine in the box for just in case.

TheNewbie
03-16-2019, 06:49 PM
Shooting my Security Six in DA is surprisingly easy.

DAO is the way to go (in my simple opinion), just wish more companies currently made them.

Alpha Sierra
03-16-2019, 07:18 PM
My understanding is that the GP came about when the L frame didn't adequately address the concerns of LE customers regarding the durability of S&Ws

I'd like to see some evidence of that.

OlongJohnson
03-16-2019, 08:29 PM
I've just spent way too long searching old revolver threads on here. What an incredible resource and joy this place is...

Can't find the one I was thinking of, but here are some posts in that vein:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?16664-Absolutely-Shamelessly-Competing-With-Nyeti-New-GP100-Compact-Letts-Grip-Inserts&p=337281&viewfull=1#post337281

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?23018-The-Service-sized-revolver&p=524828&viewfull=1#post524828

Cheap Shot
03-16-2019, 08:38 PM
Shooting my Security Six in DA is surprisingly easy.

DAO is the way to go (in my simple opinion), just wish more companies currently made them.

I need to revisit this. If I remember correctly its a @#$%^&* 14lb DA trigger? Call me a special snowflake but that sounds not fun or easy.

I'll dust off the SS and report back.....

TheNewbie
03-16-2019, 08:41 PM
I need to revisit this. If I remember correctly its a @#$%^&* 14lb DA trigger? Call me a special snowflake but that sounds not fun or easy.

I'll dust off the SS and report back.....

Now this was static range work with 130grn .38 spl, but the trigger was easy to pull straight back. Shooting tough drills or faster might show me to be wrong.

It probably seemed easy to be because I expected it to be so bad.

YVK
03-16-2019, 08:53 PM
I've been shooting mainly DA/SA triggers for like 3-4 years and I found that it did jack for my ability to shoot Glock triggers. Who could've guessed that learning how to press through a long rolling travel doesn't help to break a defined heavy wall cleanly. Bummer.

Jay585
03-20-2019, 09:12 AM
It wasn't what I was looking for (S&W Model 10) but it doesn't seem like a bad deal... what are P-F's thoughts?

I have a Colt Rail Gun I might try and trade for this:

I have a nearly new Ruger GP100 match champion that comes with nearly 900 rounds. Gun works perfectly just have not used it as much as I thought I would have. Gun and box nearly 900 rounds for $700

ralph
03-20-2019, 11:55 AM
It wasn't what I was looking for (S&W Model 10) but it doesn't seem like a bad deal... what are P-F's thoughts?

I have a Colt Rail Gun I might try and trade for this:

Buy it, buy it now..I have one, if you want a pistol to learn DA on, this will work wonderfully. Besides that, the Match Champion is a very versitle handgun, excellant for target shooting, home, personal defense, should work well for hunting. Not to mention it's built like a tank, and with a mimiumal amount of care should last decades..

gomerpyle
03-20-2019, 12:04 PM
I bought the inexpensive SIG SP2022 to A) learn, enjoy and master the TDA trigger system and B) improve my trigger control with any platform. I feel that I accomplished both.

one of the best deals out there

TheNewbie
03-20-2019, 04:40 PM
Shot my new to me Compact P250 9mm.

While I think the trigger could break just a tad earlier , it’s still easy to shoot and the trigger is smooth.

The recoil impulse is a little different to me but nothing I don’t think I could get used to.

Wheeler
03-20-2019, 05:27 PM
Shot my new to me Compact P250 9mm.

While I think the trigger could break just a tad earlier , it’s still easy to shoot and the trigger is smooth.

The recoil impulse is a little different to me but nothing I don’t think I could get used to.

IMO the DA trigger press and subsequent reset is a tad bit longer than that of a S&W revolver. I've been playing with the .22 and have been happy with it thus far.

1986s4
03-21-2019, 12:10 PM
So do I. Last handgun I will ever get rid of.

Yup, same for me and my S&W M13-3 3". Recently got it an understudy and something I can train with in the form of a M13-8 4". Hardly used, last issue before the lock but has the frame mounted firing pin.

Alpha Sierra
03-21-2019, 12:11 PM
Yup, same for me and my S&W M13-3 3". Recently got it an understudy and something I can train with in the form of a M13-8 4". Hardly used, last issue before the lock but has the frame mounted firing pin.

I think the frame mounted FP is an improvement. MUCH easier to change if it needs it and brings no negatives that I can tell.

1986s4
03-21-2019, 01:36 PM
I think the frame mounted FP is an improvement. MUCH easier to change if it needs it and brings no negatives that I can tell.

Fully agree and my 38 y/o M18 .22 has one too, no problems.

Pistol Pete 10
03-21-2019, 02:43 PM

The best way to improve shooting your Glocks is to shoot Glocks. A revolver trigger or the 92FS aren't gonna help with shooting a Glock. They may make you question why you are even messing with Glocks. Both the S&W revolver and the Beretta are precision guns compared to a Glock. I usually shoot S&W revolvers and 1911 guns and I'm having a problem getting used to the crunchy trigger on my Glock 19, if it doesn't smooth up I'm gonna sell it to a Glock guy and be done with it. I have shot the 92FS quite a bit and it has a nice smooth double action pull and a good single action pull.
Spend your money on ammo for your Glocks.