PDA

View Full Version : SIG Sauer P227 ?

Robert Mitchum
03-11-2019, 08:35 PM
Anyone have any experience with the P227?
I know they stopped making them but there a few still being sold.

Can get a great deal on one but the recent negative view of Sig has me wondering.
I have 3 HK 45's ..P30L and a P30 ,, so the DA/SA trigger will not throw me off.
Thanks for any input.

Dismas316
03-11-2019, 09:10 PM
I used to own the 227 carry and absolutely loved it. I installed the short reach trigger and it was just a real pleasure to shoot. I ended up selling all of my 45’s so it went as well. The one issue that was/is frustrating, was the 14 round mags would work at best 50% of the time. Sig new about it but never really took the time to fix the problem which is just another long line of Sig issues from a QC standpoint. I ended up replacing the 14 round mag with the Wolff para ordinance mag spring. They ran reliable after that. If I were to get back to shooting 45 again, I would probably look at that again. Although I have pretty much sworn off anymore sigs. Well first a good 1911. I did like it quite a bit.

BehindBlueI's
03-11-2019, 09:13 PM
I traded into one and very shortly afterward traded out of it for another P220 elite. There was nothing *wrong* with it, but the extra two rounds didn't justify the increase in logistics for me. The magazines are a bit pricey and I don't know how long they'll be out there. They don't fit in a P220 mag pouch, of course, but they also don't fit in a P226 mag pouch.

I wanted to like it, but ultimately I couldn't figure out what role I had for it that wasn't better filled by a P220 or a P226.

rcbusmc24
03-11-2019, 09:20 PM
I had one as well. Picked it up a few years ago whn the old VA Arms was doing a Sig Sale.... The gun shot great but like the posters above I couldn't figure out what it did better than the other .45s I already had. Traded it for something else, thats probably also been traded...

OlongJohnson
03-11-2019, 09:43 PM
The only grips available are E2 style. That kept me from trying it.

Galbraith
03-11-2019, 10:09 PM
I had one. Put about 700rds through it myself, and a highly skilled coworker put around 500rds through it. We both agreed that the P220 was a better shooting platform overall, so I sold it. I now use a P320 .45 on duty, which I shoot even better than the P220.

Jason M
03-11-2019, 10:10 PM
No first hand experience with one but.....Pennsylvania State Police issues them. I have heard mixed reviews about them from Troopers. Most of it has been subjective and not related to any stoppages, kabooms, or breakages. If they were breaking down and/or stopping I believe that they would have been dumped. That could constitute a testament to PSP's satisfaction with function. They are big honking pistols compared to other "service pistol" options and I get the impression that not everyone appreciates the size factor of the 227. I have been told by a good source that recently, PSP SERT has changed to another pistol. Hope that provides a little insight.

BehindBlueI's
03-11-2019, 10:15 PM
No first hand experience with one but.....Pennsylvania State Police issues them.

Indiana State Police does as well.

Jason M
03-11-2019, 10:22 PM
Have they had good service from them? PSP went from some version of the 21 to the 37 and had functional issues. I think that motivated their switch to Sigarms from Glock.

BehindBlueI's
03-11-2019, 10:31 PM
Have they had good service from them? PSP went from some version of the 21 to the 37 and had functional issues. I think that motivated their switch to Sigarms from Glock.

As far as I know. The only Trooper I hung out with much is now an insurance investigator in the private sector, though, so I don't get much info these days. ISP switched from Glock 21s, supposedly after being aggravated by Glock's response to mushrooming firing pins and Sig swooping in with a nice offer on new guns and leather.

echo5charlie
03-12-2019, 07:41 AM

The PSP went from G37.3s to G21.4s and then the P227. I have not been able to figure out *exactly* what the issues were with the 21.4s, but the most common PSP rumor was "jams".
As far as the motivation the rumor mill was PSP claimed Glock was unable (or unwilling depending on who you ask) to rectify the "jams" with the G21.4. Given the VERY quick turnaround to dump the G21.4s and go with SIG P227s I would not be surprised to find out this was very much pre-arranged. I have no firsthand knowledge of what really transpired. I'd love to hear from anyone that has factual info as to the reason for choosing SIG.

Funny note, when the PSP switched to the G21.4 they allowed the troopers the option to buy their G37. We handled MANY transfers at my shop - one of which took about 3 years to complete. A trooper came in to pick up his G37 but did not have his current address on his drivers license. Fast forward 3-ish years and we receive his G21.4 as he is retiring. He picked both up at the same time.

Bucky
03-12-2019, 04:50 PM
They stopped making the P227? With two large state police contracts?

Robert Mitchum
03-12-2019, 04:57 PM
Thanks to everyone who responded !