PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 22/45: Purchase Trend?

JonInWA
03-16-2012, 01:48 PM
Within the past several month, I've picked up on something interesting (to me, anyway): Myself and three other shooting friends (one enthusiast, one competitor, and one in the industry (and a competitor) have all picked up new Ruger 22/45s. What makes it interesting is that none of us had discussed 22/45s at all prior to us all getting them-it was one of those weird/fated confluences...Or something so blindingly obviously desirable as a shooting tool.

An obvious attraction is the ability to have an analog gun with which to practice inexpensively. Out of the 4 guns involved, two chose varients with the threaded barrel suitable for supressor use. I personally chose one of the TALO special edition guns, primarily because it alone combines adjustable sights with a 4.5" slab/semi-bull barrel (the spiffy Ruger-logoed grips were a nice aesthetic benefit, I'll admit). During my initial range session, I quickly noticed that there was an issue with magazine retention; after the initial shot, the magazine tended to drop slightly, precluding subsequent cartridges from chambering. Ruger immediately stepped up to the plate with a pre-paid shipping lable, and within 3 weeks I had the gun back, with the problem fully resolved.

The only change that I've made to mine to date is to add a set of the Pearce rubber fingergrooves. When Ruger transitioned from the MkII to the Mk III series, they also slimmed the receiver; while certainly viable out of the box, the Pearce fingergrooves slightly bulk up the frontstrap, adding grippability, comfort, and similarity to one of the platforms that I regularly shoot and carry-my Glocks. Out of the four of us that pretty muchj simultaneously purchased 22/45s, 3 of us added grip/grip enhancements-I went with the Pearce fingergrooves, another went with Hogue's rubber fingergroove and side panel grips, and another went with a set of Hogue's G10 grips.

In addition to having an inexpensive analog practice gun, I had forgotten just how much fun it is to shoot a good .22-the 22/45's exceptionally accurate, with a very nice trigger. I plan on more frequent live-fire drills/practice, and hope to see a concurrent gain in my skill set regarding my other carry/competition guns.

And yes-the Ruger 22/45 field-strip disassembly and reassembly is DEFINITELY an acquired skill-but there are some excellent videos and internet helps, and after doing it a time or to it becomes much easier-but plan on havin on hand a brass punch (or wood dowel), a rubber mallet, and a proportionately-sized hammer to use in conjunction with the punch/dowel...

Best, Jon

SGT_Calle
03-16-2012, 01:59 PM
Very cool.
A 22/45 TB will definitely be my next purchase. One of my shooting buddies has one and it is a fantastic little pistol. I also love 22s.

BaiHu
03-16-2012, 03:05 PM
May I ask either of you want attracted you to this Ruger if you already have a Glock? Why not get a AAR .22 conversion kit for the Glock??

Nephrology
03-16-2012, 03:13 PM
I have a 22/45 that I picked up basically NIB for 200 dollars. It was "used" but probably hadnt seen more than 50-100 rounds. Love it.

I prefer it over a conversion kit because unlike the kits, these things actually run well and tolerate dirt far better than the kit that I have for my 1911.

JonInWA
03-17-2012, 07:44 AM
May I ask either of you want attracted you to this Ruger if you already have a Glock? Why not get a AAR .22 conversion kit for the Glock??

I have a close friend who bought a brand new AA set for his also originally owned Gen 3 G17; he had, shall we say, less than steller expereinces with it. He was also unimpressed (and frustrated) with the company's aftermarket support. He sold it (making full disclosure) to another friend-who has has excellent experiences with it on his G17...

Others seem to either really, really love or really, really hate AA conversions for their Glocks. At the least, they seem to be a bit "base gun" sensitive. I'm personally a bit surprised that Glock themselves haven't made a .22 conversion kit to date-they'd probably sell an obscene amount of 'em.

On the other hand, the 22/45 fits the bill for providing an analog practice gun for a number of platforms for me-Glock, 1911, FN Hi Power, Ruger P89, Beretta 92 etc. (but particularly the first two mentioned). It's this flexibility, plus Ruger's reputation (and my own personal very favorable expereinces with Ruger over the years, both produce and after-market support wise) that facilitated the decision for me personally to go the 22/45 route.

Best, Jon

BaiHu
03-17-2012, 07:51 AM
Thanks so much for your insight. Good luck with it.

Sent using Tapatalk.

VolGrad
03-17-2012, 08:05 AM
Check out the Alumagrips I put on mine ...

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd208/volgrad/7580bb08.jpg
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd208/volgrad/f93acfb6.jpg

They look and feel great.

I love the Ruger 22/45s but really, really wish I had my first one back. It shot better than the one pictured above. I think maybe I just haven't learned how to shoot these fixed sights as well yet.

Tamara
03-17-2012, 08:11 AM
I bought a bottom-of-the-line 4" fixed-sight 22/45 a few years ago. Best couple hundred bucks I ever spent on anything shooting related. I've put I-have-no-idea-how-many thousands of rounds through the thing.

It lives in my range bag and, thanks to the fixed sights, I don't have to worry about them getting knocked askew. I blacked out the rear dots of the 3-dot sights with a sharpie so it has the same sight picture as my big girl gun. It gets cleaned every four months (and by "cleaned" I mean chipping big chunks of carbon out of the receiver with a dental pick after hosing it out with brake cleaner.)

JeffJ
03-17-2012, 01:16 PM
Anyone have a trick for loading the mags without tearing up thumbs - or am I just a big wuss?

peterb
03-17-2012, 01:37 PM
There are several gadgets on the market that help hold the magazine button down.

I found one of these in my local shop. Works fine. http://www.amazon.com/HKS-Caliber-Rifle-Magazine-Speedloader/dp/B0013R9UOQ

David Armstrong
03-17-2012, 02:38 PM
I'll second Tamara's cleaning program. I've just not found a need to go through the pain and headache of a full strip on my 22/45. Hose it down with a good crud remover then dig out whatever chunks are left where I can see them, and it just keeps going and going.

wrt81
03-17-2012, 05:42 PM
I'll be picking up either a 22/45 or the new Ruger SR22 soon hopefully. I'll probably end up getting both eventually.

JeffJ
03-17-2012, 06:12 PM
There are several gadgets on the market that help hold the magazine button down.

I found one of these in my local shop. Works fine. http://www.amazon.com/HKS-Caliber-Rifle-Magazine-Speedloader/dp/B0013R9UOQ

Ordered. Thanks

MDS
03-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Anyone have a trick for loading the mags without tearing up thumbs - or am I just a big wuss?

Haven't spent time with the Ruger 22 pistols, but this is awesome with my Buckmark. It takes a little getting used to, but I used to shoot a whole brick in an hour, no sweat. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004YF931Y/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/191-8471799-7426559

Suvorov
03-17-2012, 07:14 PM
I purchased my 22/45 back in 1994 when I was shooting at the range 3-5 times a week and uncle Sam was providing me as much .22LR ammo as I could shoot. It has been an amazingly great gun with well over 50,000 rounds through it (I started keeping track of my rounds back in 1997) and only one broken part (that little part that rides in the bolt that didn't even affect the reliability to my knowledge). It has been accurate and reliable too. I don't shoot it much anymore as I'm only able to hit the range 2-3 times a month and can thus afford to shoot full caliber ammo. It is a pistol I will never part with. I'm actually kind of surprised that so many here who are far more accomplished that me are just discovering it. :D

mwilt72
03-17-2012, 07:26 PM

When my thumb gets sore, I use a .22 shell laid crossways in front of the little button. They're usually pretty easy to find, and the price is right.

Plato
03-17-2012, 09:25 PM
I would shoot a lot less without my Ruger 22/45s. In addition to them being excellent training aids, they are just plain fun. I recently purchased the AA kit to really fill the training gap, but will still shoot the 22/45 suppressed and when I'm too lazy to change the slide. I will have to look into the alumagrips as I find the stock grips a little thick. Currently, the only modification I've made is a different hammer bushing to allow the mags to drop freely; getting rid of the mag disconnect was a secondary benefit.

GJM
03-18-2012, 09:42 PM
If someone was looking for a .22 semi-auto to help their training, thoughts between the AA Glock kit, the 22/45 or the newer Ruger polymer 22?

peterb
03-19-2012, 07:33 AM
I've got a Mk II and have handled the new SR-22 pistol. The SR-22 is much small and and lighter. It's DA/SA while the Mk II is SA only. Some folks think the decocker/safety on the SR is "backwards" and could build bad habits.

JonInWA
03-19-2012, 07:54 AM
Since William B. Ruger died, my thought is that a good general rule of thumb regarding new Ruger products is to let them undergo a one year fielding on the market before considering purchase, as most of the Rugers developed after his death have had some hiccups needing resolution. Only then would I consider the SR22 over the 22/45, and between the two, my ultimate decision would be based on the elements of commonality between the .22 to be chosen and the larger caliber guns that I was using.

Regarding the AA conversion, I think that they're a crapshoot. I'm personally a heavy Glock user, and I chose not to go the AA route, primarily because of the experiences of my friend discussed earlier in the thread with one, and similar discussions on various internet sites.

Best, Jon

JV_
03-19-2012, 08:04 AM
If someone was looking for a .22 semi-auto to help their training, thoughts between the AA Glock kit, the 22/45 or the newer Ruger polymer 22?I had an AA kit. They're more ammo sensitive than a .22 pistol, and they're more sensitive to things like a thumb resting on the slide (reduces the slide velocity).

I would probably get a .22 revolver, like a S&W 617, before getting another AA kit. The S&W revolver appeals to me because it would be a cheap way to refine my trigger pull/finger.

LittleLebowski
03-19-2012, 08:17 AM
I had an AA kit. They're more ammo sensitive than a .22 pistol, and they're more sensitive to things like a thumb resting on the slide (reduces the slide velocity).

I would probably get a .22 revolver, like a S&W 617, before getting another AA kit. The S&W revolver appeals to me because it would be a cheap way to refine my trigger pull/finger.

I know several good shooters that swear by this.....

MDS
03-19-2012, 08:18 AM

This. I attribute most of my slow accuracy improvement in the last year to dry and live work with my 617. I hardly shoot my Buckmark anymore, and then only for fun...

Tamara
03-19-2012, 08:25 AM
The most fun gun I own (http://cosmolineandrust.blogspot.com/2009/04/sunday-smith-46-k-22-combat-masterpiece.html). Period. (Good for practicing loose-round revolver reloads, too. If you can thumb rounds into those bitty deuce-deuce chambers without looking, you're good to go for real guns.)

The only thing that would be better is if I could find a Model 45, a fixed-sight .22 Military & Police made as a trainer for the Post Office and other .gov outfits. They're scarce and expensive but if I could find a good beater in the ~$500-$600 range, I would shoot the rifling out of it.

MEH
03-19-2012, 08:27 AM

Another trick is to use a loop of thin (window blind cord works great) cord. Loop one end on your belt and use the other end to pull the button.

goteron
03-19-2012, 11:07 AM
http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss192/goteron/9ddbb340.png

TS Upper, IR Laser, Deltapoint, SilencerCo Sparrow SS

Tamara
03-19-2012, 11:11 AM
TS Upper, IR Laser, Deltapoint, SilencerCo Sparrow SS

Irons don't lower-third co-witness. -100 Cool Points. :p

Tamara
03-19-2012, 11:14 AM
Another trick is to use a loop of thin (window blind cord works great) cord. Loop one end on your belt and use the other end to pull the button.

I was going to say "get some callouses on your thumbs", but I reckon that'll work, too. :D

(Actually, that sounds like a pretty neat trick. I'm going to try it. Maybe these annoying callouses will go away. :cool: )

GJM
03-19-2012, 11:32 AM
Great advice on the S&W .22 wheel gun. I just went and looked around, and found a 617 and 317 in my revolver stash.

After fondling both, I decided the 317's lighter weight to be an advantage, since my elbows are sore, especially my dominant right elbow, from so much shooting. I tweaked the zero on the 317, and proceeded to shoot 200 rounds, support hand only, at my 8 inch plates at 10-20 yards. Really good practice working the trigger between plates, and following through during the DA trigger pull. Between less concussion and the low cost of ammo, I can see doing a lot of this shooting.

Is the thought that lots of practice with the DA revolver translates over to shooting a Glock, despite the different trigger, or is there a concern that the trigger is different enough to cause issues?

David Armstrong
03-19-2012, 01:51 PM
I do a lot of shooting with a S&W Mdl 18 that I bought decades ago to understudy a Mdl 15. The Mdl 15 is long gone, but I can't imagine getting rid of the Mdl 18.

FWIW, I've not found that shooting a DA revolver caused any issues with shooting my Glocks or any other auto.

GJM
03-19-2012, 02:00 PM
FWIW, I've not found that shooting a DA revolver caused any issues with shooting my Glocks or any other auto.

So I am clear exactly what you are saying -- do you think a lot of DA revolver shooter helps your Glock shooting, or just doesn't hurt It?

EricP
03-19-2012, 03:07 PM
Since William B. Ruger died, my thought is that a good general rule of thumb regarding new Ruger products is to let them undergo a one year fielding on the market before considering purchase, as most of the Rugers developed after his death have had some hiccups needing resolution. Only then would I consider the SR22 over the 22/45, and between the two, my ultimate decision would be based on the elements of commonality between the .22 to be chosen and the larger caliber guns that I was using.

This is probably good advice. I know of two SR22s that have gone back to the factory because the slide stop sheared off. CS allegedly told one owner that this happens a lot and the other that this was the first he had heard of it.

peterb
03-19-2012, 03:17 PM
This is probably good advice. I know of two SR22s that have gone back to the factory because the slide stop sheared off. CS allegedly told one owner that this happens a lot and the other that this was the first he had heard of it.

Saw a recent thread on this. Apparently if the slide stop is left in an intermediate position -- which is easy to do -- it's easily damaged.

wrt81
03-19-2012, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the info on the SR22. I'll probably pick up a 22/45 first instead.

FotoTomas
03-20-2012, 06:56 PM
I bought a 22/45 to replace a Standard Model I had to get the 1911 style magazine release. Of course the magazines were hanging up on my grip but I still love the type. Recently traded off my 22/45 MkII for another gun and then replaced the MkII with a 22/45 MkIII. Live is good with a .22/45 in the house.

dirksterg30
03-21-2012, 08:29 AM

You're not a wuss; it's just that Ruger rimfire magazines are made from dull razor blades. I find the Ultimate Cliploader works great for loading Mk3 magazines. Should work for the 22/45 as well: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/523189/mcfadden-ultimate-clip-loader-22-long-rifle-pistol-magazine-loader-polymer-clear

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/dirksterg30/Ruger%20Mk%20III/IMG00063-20090928-1340.jpg

Al T.
03-21-2012, 09:21 AM
I bought and promptly sold a 22/45. Accuracy was fine, but inserting a magazine pinched my firing hand every time. Had to shift my firing hand around a bit to accommodate this, so went back to the BuckMark.

GJM
03-22-2012, 07:11 PM
Thanks to JV, LL and Tam for recommending a Smith wheel gun. My wife and I have about 1,000 rounds thru a 317 this week -- most all support hand only. We are starting each regular practice session with a few hundred rounds of .22, and see ourselves continuing this indefinitely. Little concussion, cheap ammo, and lots of practice working the trigger as you steer the sights. For a LEM shooter, I would see DA wheel gun integration into practice sessions as almost mandatory, and it seems to be helping our Glock trigger manipulation as well. Since we are firing single shots to steel, and then transitioning to another steel, the lack of recoil hasn't seemed an issue, as the limiting factor is pulling the trigger not recovering from recoil.

JV_
03-22-2012, 07:13 PM
I'm glad to hear it's working out.

My warmups with the GP100 helped me a lot with the HK P30.

seabiscuit
03-22-2012, 09:18 PM
Is a Smith wheel gun worth $400 more than a 22/45?

Shellback
03-23-2012, 12:06 AM

I was thinking the same thing. $800 for a .22 revolver is pretty steep.

GJM
03-23-2012, 03:43 AM
I will be curious what others think, but my opinion is that the 22/45 makes more sense if you want a .22 to shoot as a .22, but a DA .22 revolver is better as a training device for improving your shooting of service pistols/calibers since you have to steer the sights through that long and heavy DA trigger pull.

Shop around on price for a used revolver.

Tamara
03-23-2012, 05:06 AM

The bane of my existence when I was selling guns was when some dude would say "That Smith .22 costs the same as the .357 next to it!"

The thing is, whereas the 22/45 is, when you get down to brass tacks, a pretty crude little tube gun with an injection-molded plastic grip hanging off the bottom, the only difference between a S&W 617 and a 686 is the size of the holes drilled in the barrel and cylinder.

Plinker-grade deuce-deuce autos can benefit from a host of cost-cutting techniques *coughzincslideP22cough*, but unless Smith were to start making die-cast .22 revolvers, there's no price break for the rimfire. (On the other hand, the 617 will be around five generations from now, whereas the aforementioned P-22 might not make it five years of hard use.)

Al T.
03-23-2012, 07:20 AM

Yes. My Grand Dads S&W .32-20 (made in the 1920s) is still a viable shooter. I cheerfully paid 6 bills for my 3 inch S&W M63.

LOKNLOD
03-23-2012, 10:09 AM
There are two sides to the "worth more" question: intrinsic, physical value based on materials, labor, and quality; and functional value based on what benefit it provides to increasing ones shooting skill.

There's really no arguing the first point, the revolver is a more expensive and well-built gun. But on the second point, I think it just depends on one's intended use. I think GJM was on to something with his answer. I do think that at the $800 figure being thrown around, buying it solely as a training aid for oneself could be a bit of a stretch for many folks (individual levels of disposable income obviously factor into the equation). That's a lot of money for a trigger simulator.