PDA

View Full Version : Please Help me choose a CCW

gunrascal
03-08-2019, 12:00 PM
Hello everyone. I've been trying to decide on another CCW. Some Background: I currently carry a P250SC which i really like, however 'have a strong itch to add another platform. I am not comfortable with most strikers-i.e. i recently traded my PPQ(trigger too light too short) for a P229; nice gun, but I changed the hammer spring to 18 lbs and have been practicing with it. I liked my P220, but too big and low capacity-but very accurate. I sometimes carry a P99AS, but never in AS mode. Investigated HK, but too much for what you get. I want a 9mm. I sure would appreciate suggestions of experience.

JonInWA
03-08-2019, 03:51 PM
Hello everyone. I've been trying to decide on another CCW. Some Background: I currently carry a P250SC which i really like, however 'have a strong itch to add another platform. I am not comfortable with most strikers-i.e. i recently traded my PPQ(trigger too light too short) for a P229; nice gun, but I changed the hammer spring to 18 lbs and have been practicing with it. I liked my P220, but too big and low capacity-but very accurate. I sometimes carry a P99AS, but never in AS mode. Investigated HK, but too much for what you get. I want a 9mm. I sure would appreciate suggestions of experience.

I'm not sure when you last checked HK pricing, particularly on P30, P45 and VP model lines, but on re-visiting some of HK's pricing, your mindset might be changed regarding your assertion of "too much for what you get". But availability of other than the VP lines seems to be a bit of a current shortfall.

Given your predilection for the P250, you might want to take a hard look at some of HK's LEM offerings, in the P30 or HK 2000 line-up.

Alternatively, on of Beretta's 92 or PX4 offerings, possibly with a Langdon Tactical TJIB as icing on the cake.

Best, Jon

"

TicTacticalTimmy
03-08-2019, 03:57 PM
Currently the P30SK can be had for under $600. Figure $800 with night sights, spare mag, and a good holster.

Other excellent options would be a CZP07, CZ P01, or Beretta PX4. Both CZs will be a bit bulkier than your P250SC unless you carry it with a spare mag, in which case they will probably conceal about the same.

gunrascal
03-08-2019, 04:11 PM
I'm not sure when you last checked HK pricing, particularly on P30, P45 and VP model lines, but on re-visiting some of HK's pricing, your mindset might be changed regarding your assertion of "too much for what you get". But availability of other than the VP lines seems to be a bit of a current shortfall.

Given your predilection for the P250, you might want to take a hard look at some of HK's LEM offerings, in the P30 or HK 2000 line-up.

Alternatively, on of Beretta's 92 or PX4 offerings, possibly with a Langdon Tactical TJIB as icing on the cake.

Best, Jon

"

Thank you for this reply. I have been thinking of a Px4 Compact Carry but not yet handled one. The HK Vp line would be nice if I felt that trigger could be safely carried.

gunrascal
03-08-2019, 04:44 PM
I'm looking for a Px4 CC to examine; don't know much about it. The VP9 and p320 have great triggers for accuracy. Do people really carry SF guns?

SiriusBlunder
03-08-2019, 05:00 PM
I'm looking for a Px4 CC to examine; don't know much about it. The VP9 and p320 have great triggers for accuracy. Do people really carry SF guns?

~65% of us that responded to the last survey do:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vSRqMn5D_dGvUkeugtoKMeKfaBRf_hUe8SY_uZ6shRCInZvi6-E4rAmY5RZlF9TXVIi6hH7jFLibK7l/pubchart?oid=1815420997&format=interactive

Survey thread:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?34474-2018-pistol-forum-com-CCW-Survey

Medusa
03-08-2019, 05:08 PM
I am a long time beretta fangirl who has had 92s for half my life and went through this process recently when i decided to get my CCW again. I usually carry a Px4CC and I am trying to learn to shoot it in IDPA matches as well.

I have a sig p365 for when I just have to have something smaller, and good holsters, but I'm with you as far as not loving SF with a round in the chamber for CCW. That's just an autobiographical statement about me, and not a statement about what is possible or right for others.

BehindBlueI's
03-08-2019, 05:27 PM
What do you find lacking in the P229?

Duelist
03-08-2019, 05:28 PM

Glock 26 or 42, mostly. Striker Control Device in all three (two 42s, his and hers) for safer holstering and administrative handling. But I actually, intellectually prefer a TDA with a hammer. It’s a conundrum: the size, reliability, and performance of the Glock, combined with their ease of use for every member of my family, means I’m the only one who likes a TDA gun. So I have converted to the dark side for my carry guns, and use my 92A1 and revolvers for fun stuff.

Without an SCD, I wouldn’t carry a striker fired gun. Maybe an M&P with a thumb safety, or a Walther P99. But with, I have few hangups about my Glocks, and I’ll probably be getting another Glock before anything else.

Honestly, I should probably sell some stuff first. But I’ll keep on being a guy who likes TDA and carries a Glock for now.

okie john
03-08-2019, 05:33 PM
snip...a strong itch to add another platform.

Tell us more about this.

Okie Joun

gunrascal
03-08-2019, 05:45 PM
What do you find lacking in the P229?

sights similar to my S&W mdl 15-2 and 1911 both of which i can shoot ragged holes in our 50 ft indoor range; are these type of sights available for the P229?(seriously)

ubervic
03-08-2019, 05:48 PM
Glock 19 with an SCD is hard to beat in terms of serving the broadest range of CCW needs/wants.

gunrascal
03-08-2019, 05:58 PM
Tell us more about this.

Okie Joun

Okie: did you ever just want another gun?

gunrascal
03-08-2019, 06:00 PM
Glock 19 with an SCD is hard to beat in terms of serving the broadest range of CCW needs/wants.

I'm unable to adjust to the Glock grip angle; thank you for the info tho

gunrascal
03-08-2019, 06:20 PM
I am a long time beretta fangirl who has had 92s for half my life and went through this process recently when i decided to get my CCW again. I usually carry a Px4CC and I am trying to learn to shoot it in IDPA matches as well.

I have a sig p365 for when I just have to have something smaller, and good holsters, but I'm with you as far as not loving SF with a round in the chamber for CCW. That's just an autobiographical statement about me, and not a statement about what is possible or right for others.

'glad to see this reply; I'm in a small minority at my club.

Bigghoss
03-08-2019, 06:30 PM

Yes. And going with that urge has been detrimental to me building my pistol skills. Though not the primary reason I'm not where I should be. I would suggest picking something you currently own and standardizing on that. Or maybe you'd be better off adopting a new platform but pick one and go all-in on that one platform.

You like the Sig P22x series, that's not a bad choice. Beretta 92's and PX4's have been popular here for a while and there's wonderful things that can be done to them.

BehindBlueI's
03-08-2019, 07:38 PM
sights similar to my S&W mdl 15-2 and 1911 both of which i can shoot ragged holes in our 50 ft indoor range; are these type of sights available for the P229?(seriously)

I don't know what you have on your other guns, but the answer is almost certainly yes. The Sig P-series is a very popular choice and there's a ton of sights available. Check out Dawson Precision. Any combination of plain black, serrated black, tritium, and fiber optics you want you can probably find from them.

I think you'll find quite a bit of emphasis on picking a platform and sticking with it for daily carry on this forum. If you just want a new gun for a range toy, just to ogle, or to collect we all get that. However for serious use you won't find many "carry rotations" here.

okie john
03-08-2019, 07:44 PM
Yes. And going with that urge has been detrimental to me building my pistol skills. Though not the primary reason I'm not where I should be. I would suggest picking something you currently own and standardizing on that. Or maybe you'd be better off adopting a new platform but pick one and go all-in on that one platform.

You like the Sig P22x series, that's not a bad choice. Beretta 92's and PX4's have been popular here for a while and there's wonderful things that can be done to them.

Beat me to it.

Okie John

gunrascal
03-08-2019, 09:03 PM
I am a long time beretta fangirl who has had 92s for half my life and went through this process recently when i decided to get my CCW again. I usually carry a Px4CC and I am trying to learn to shoot it in IDPA matches as well

Rapid Butterfly: Can you elaborate on your Px4 compact carry or direct me to an accurate review?

MGW
03-08-2019, 09:43 PM

I carried a stock 229-1 for a couple of years. Took a Tom Givens class with it, shot it at matches, etc. It'll shoot "ragged hole" groups with the stock night sights if you give yourself time with it. That being said, there are several sight options for it. Sig X-rays are a good hivis sight. Dawson builds good sights that are avaiable for it too. I'm sure there are other options but that's all I have experience with on Sigs.

Medusa
03-08-2019, 10:04 PM
virtually everyone here knows a lot more than i do. What I can say is, I've had a 92 with a Langdon trigger since 2000. When I decided to get a CHL in the state i'd moved to and start carrying again, I wanted the option to carry something smaller than a 92, but that operates in a similar fashion - hammer fired, DA / SA, and sure, I'm used to Beretta so I thought let's see what Beretta has. That led me to the PX4 series, compact series, and then I discovered Langdon is now exponentially more well known than in 2000, has several firearms with his touch on them, and that the Px4CC was one of them. When I realized I could buy it from LTT with his trigger work on it - I made the call. and I'm really happy I did. I've got another on order so I'll have one for carry and one for matches.

Lucky gunner and many others have youtube reviews, easily found with easy google-fu. But the above is my journey. I've appreciated the ease of ergo adjustments on this weapon (I'm no expert) and find it to basically feel like a small 92 (smaller than the 92 compact by a long way, and retains 15 plus one capacity). I like the ameriglo sights and just really like the weapon. I'm not an expert and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, I just have my preferences and this weapon ticks the boxes for me.

Rapid Butterfly: Can you elaborate on your Px4 compact carry or direct me to an accurate review?

pangloss
03-08-2019, 11:38 PM
If I liked the P229 and wanted another gun, I'd look at the P225-A1. As for polymer, hammer-fired guns, the PX4, P07/09, and P30 (& P2000 & USP) lines are about the only choices. Seems like I'm forgetting a pistol though. Anyway, any of these are fine choices. If you want to be outside the mainstream, there are also the Grand Power pistols. And perhaps the Walther Creed if you want to go for something cheaper.

My "carry rotation" consists of a Glock 19, Glock 26, and Glock 43.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Duelist
03-09-2019, 01:02 AM
If I liked the P229 and wanted another gun, I'd look at the P225-A1. As for polymer, hammer-fired guns, the PX4, P07/09, and P30 (& P2000 & USP) lines are about the only choices. Seems like I'm forgetting a pistol though. Anyway, any of these are fine choices. If you want to be outside the mainstream, there are also the Grand Power pistols. And perhaps the Walther Creed if you want to go for something cheaper.

My "carry rotation" consists of a Glock 19, Glock 26, and Glock 43.

SigPro SP2022 is another polymer, hammer fired gun. Darn good one, too. Thought the takedowns lever is MIM in India, and doesn’t work for me (long thumbs), I’d carry one again.

Rex G
03-09-2019, 09:57 AM
Thank you for this reply. I have been thinking of a Px4 Compact Carry but not yet handled one. The HK Vp line would be nice if I felt that trigger could be safely carried.

Yes, people really do carry SF guns, some of whom still have all ten toes. ;) At the other end of the spectrum, I am acquainted with a couple of guys who have managed to ND S&W double-action revolvers with full-power springs. One of them was so startled by the first ignition that he managed to ignite the next one, for a two-shot ND.

Most aftermarket sights available for 1911 pistols are available for SIGs. I swapped one of my P229’s rear sights, myself, and I am no gunsmith.

It you are comfortable with Beretta, you have joined the right forum. :) I am not (yet) a Berettista, but many members are.

DocGKR
03-09-2019, 12:49 PM
Pick one handgun type and stick with it for a decade or so....

JonInWA
03-09-2019, 01:33 PM

Um, yes. We do. Really.

Of course, you might want to look at your firearms needs as requisite tools, and ascertain which tools best address your needs.

A good starting point might be to do some research as to which action type first, and then move from that decision process into which platforms/specific weapons might work best, including actually trying out the the contender finalists.

Then choose one, and, as DocGKR suggests, stick with it for a truly significant amount of time and regular use. Then you'll empirically be in a far better position to go through a OODA loop regarding necessary refinements, changes, etc.

Right now, you seem to be addressing the same questions to multiple boards. Participants on this site tend to be pretty realistic and experienced, but you're still getting OUR experiences/recommendations, which may not be particularly relevant to your needs and resources. I might also suggest subjecting yourself through some qualified training as an inherent part of your decision and education process.

Best, Jon

Alpha Sierra
03-09-2019, 02:00 PM

Try a CZ P-01. I strongly suspect you will not want anything else after an objective evaluation.

Alpha Sierra
03-09-2019, 02:02 PM
Do people really carry SF guns?

I honestly can't believe someone is asking this in 2019. Yes. People do, and have been doing so safely for decades.

If you don't press the trigger, they will not fire. They don't need to be any safer than that. The rest of the safety equation rests on you. If you feel unsafe carrying a striker-fired pistol, the problem is not with the pistol.

I will say that if you want to alternate between two different types of actions in your handguns, you need to put serious amount of time to be proficient with both of them. It's doable, and not the calamity that some here make it out to be, but it takes dedication.

gunrascal
03-09-2019, 03:29 PM
Though I've been shooting and hunting for several decades, have worked with NRA instructors, have done much shotgun shooting, and have conceiled carried for 15+ years, yes, I research and look to much advice with regard to change; I am also very appreciative of the responses to my post.
In my very rural region, most people carry but don't discuss what they carry; gun talk is limited to what is exposed and being used at the time. So, I'm very impressed with this forum as yes I'm on others--sometimes. My nervous system would obsess knowing there was a light trigger with a short takeup on my person--but that is me.

Alpha Sierra
03-09-2019, 04:03 PM
My nervous system would obsess knowing there was a light trigger with a short takeup on my person--but that is me.
Are you familiar with firing pin blocks and the other internal safeties designed into striker fired pistols? Did you know that sear engagement isn't the only thing keeping the striker from igniting the primer, so long as the trigger isn't pressed?

revchuck38
03-09-2019, 05:14 PM
gunrascal - You've already got several excellent carry pistols. I'll join the chorus here and urge you to pick one and invest your money and time on training, practice, and ammo.

OTOH, if you want to get another gun just to get another gun, there's nothing wrong with that. :)

Note that NRA instructors cover a wide swath of shooting interests. If they're specialized in hunting or shotgun/rifle competition, they may not be up to snuff on defensive shooting and related issues.

Bigghoss
03-09-2019, 05:49 PM
My nervous system would obsess knowing there was a light trigger with a short takeup on my person--but that is me.

As far as I'm aware, the issue mostly manifests while holstering if something gets inside the trigger guard. So, as usual, awareness is the best defense. That said, the Striker Control Device is very popular around here. Basically allows you to treat your Glock like a hammer fired gun while holstering.

https://taudevgroup.myshopify.com/products/striker-control-device

Strikers don't make me nervous but I have gotten to the point where I do prefer an extra level of safety afforded by DA/SA or a thumb safety or an SCD or something.

pangloss
03-09-2019, 06:33 PM
In my very rural region, most people carry but don't discuss what they carry...

I'm curious. If you don't mind saying, what state do you live in?

okie john
03-09-2019, 06:41 PM

A SFA pistol won't necessarily have a light trigger with a short takeup. Even if it does, then it's still possible to handle it safely and effectively, despite what you hear on other boards. Many of us here actually do carry SFA pistols with great success, as do a large number of law enforcement agencies and elite military units. Some of us come from those organizations, and when we post here, we speak from our own experience and from the institutional experience of those outfits. It's fine if you choose not to carry a SFA pistol. Plenty of people here also choose not to carry them, and they bring us a very strong body of knowledge about the types of handguns that they prefer.

This board differs from most in three ways. First, we're polite (usually) to one another. Second, most of us have a lot of experience, often in the law enforcement and military organizations that I mentioned above. Third, we focus far more on shooting guns (especially handguns) more than we do on owning them, which is pretty much the reverse of every other board I've been on. That's why so many of us advise you to stick with one defensive pistol platform until you get your feet on the ground, and why we generally recommend against the idea of a carry rotation.

You may not like what you hear us say, but chances are that you'll hear the same advice repeated over and over--we've found that it works and that it helps keep the people that we care about alive.

Okie John

gunrascal
03-09-2019, 11:09 PM
A SFA pistol won't necessarily have a light trigger with a short takeup. Even if it does, then it's still possible to handle it safely and effectively, despite what you hear on other boards. Many of us here actually do carry SFA pistols with great success, as do a large number of law enforcement agencies and elite military units. Some of us come from those organizations, and when we post here, we speak from our own experience and from the institutional experience of those outfits. It's fine if you choose not to carry a SFA pistol. Plenty of people here also choose not to carry them, and they bring us a very strong body of knowledge about the types of handguns that they prefer.

This board differs from most in three ways. First, we're polite (usually) to one another. Second, most of us have a lot of experience, often in the law enforcement and military organizations that I mentioned above. Third, we focus far more on shooting guns (especially handguns) more than we do on owning them, which is pretty much the reverse of every other board I've been on. That's why so many of us advise you to stick with one defensive pistol platform until you get your feet on the ground, and why we generally recommend against the idea of a carry rotation.

You may not like what you hear us say, but chances are that you'll hear the same advice repeated over and over--we've found that it works and that it helps keep the people that we care about alive.

Okie John

Nice reply;thanks

OlongJohnson
03-10-2019, 12:46 AM
If you want a different gun, buy some Hogue G10 grips for the P229. That will make it a different gun. I think a better one. The grip is more flat sided with a larger radius on the back strap. Makes a big difference. I personally prefer checkered. Send it to Gray or The Sig Armorer to get a duty action tune. Then try to wear it out, while keeping it properly lubed and the rails reasonably clean.

BTW, before you do that, try putting 200 rounds of Winchester White Box through it and see if they all extract.

Maybe pick up the P250 .22LR. They're pretty cheap, and quality ammo is $0.04-0.06/rd right now.

gunrascal
03-10-2019, 01:34 PM
I plan to work with the p229 and the p99; hopefully, I can find a Px4 CC to try.

BehindBlueI's
03-10-2019, 04:27 PM
If you want a different gun, buy some Hogue G10 grips for the P229.

Seconded. I like them on the P226 quite a bit.

MattyD380
03-11-2019, 01:01 AM
Considering you know and like the P229 and P220... have you tried a P239? I find it small enough to be convenient and comfortable to carry, yet it still has sort of a "service pistol" quality to it. The slender grip, I think, is what really gives the edge over a P229/P226. Capacity is only 8+1, but spare mags are flat and easy to carry. I really shoot mine well.

It's out of production now, yes. But I can't imagine it would be hard to find one (or several) used, for a decent price. And from what I hear, a lot of the parts will interchange with the still-in-production P225-A1. Which... is another option, I suppose. It's mechanically the same as a P239, with different ergos and revised aesthetic.

gunrascal
03-11-2019, 08:23 PM
Considering you know and like the P229 and P220... have you tried a P239? I find it small enough to be convenient and comfortable to carry, yet it still has sort of a "service pistol" quality to it. The slender grip, I think, is what really gives the edge over a P229/P226. Capacity is only 8+1, but spare mags are flat and easy to carry. I really shoot mine well.

It's out of production now, yes. But I can't imagine it would be hard to find one (or several) used, for a decent price. And from what I hear, a lot of the parts will interchange with the still-in-production P225-A1. Which... is another option, I suppose. It's mechanically the same as a P239, with different ergos and revised aesthetic.

Thank you but for me a single stack feels like half a gun.

Sauer Koch
03-11-2019, 10:10 PM
This forum has no equal; period!

JonInWA
03-12-2019, 07:34 AM
If you want a different gun, buy some Hogue G10 grips for the P229. That will make it a different gun. I think a better one. The grip is more flat sided with a larger radius on the back strap. Makes a big difference. I personally prefer checkered. Send it to Gray or The Sig Armorer to get a duty action tune. Then try to wear it out, while keeping it properly lubed and the rails reasonably clean.

BTW, before you do that, try putting 200 rounds of Winchester White Box through it and see if they all extract.

Maybe pick up the P250 .22LR. They're pretty cheap, and quality ammo is $0.04-0.06/rd right now.

I've got sets of Hogue "seconds" (I found out later that they weren't actually cosmetically flawed seconds, but examples of discontinued series or ones that never made it into full production) G10 grips on both my FN Hi Power and Colt Series 70 stainless repro-they're superb grips, and the G10 adds it's intrinsic "chalkiness" to increase grippiness. It can be well worth your time poking around into Hogue's seconds grips.

Best, Jon

OlongJohnson
03-12-2019, 09:48 AM
I bought some Hogue "seconds" from Guns Midwest recently that were not advertised as such. They were poor enough in quality that I went to Hogue just to give them a heads-up about possible counterfeits, or possibly someone sneaking set-up scrap out of the plant in their lunch box. Amazingly, Hogue swapped them straight up for their usual quality items, which are perfect. Top shelf customer service. Now, if I can just get them to offer a few new and improved designs...

BTW, between that and the sketchy poor service on another order, Guns Midwest is off my "buy from" list.