PDA

View Full Version : Grip tape application tips?

MTechnik
03-10-2011, 09:01 PM
This would be for a gun I plan to carry, but would like to get a more secure grip on it.

I have a big sheet of skateboard grip tape ready to go and an FNP and a PPS..

(I might be consolidating to a g19, and don't want to go with stippling yet if I decide to drop one)

vmi-mo
03-10-2011, 09:08 PM
Round all its corners

Dont force it over curves. Either cut in reliefs, or use several pieces

Ensure the gun is room temperature and dry

Cover that shooter up. Grip tape is your friend, unless it is pressed against bare skin, for 18hrs at a time in a million degrees, then it isnt.

PJ

03-10-2011, 09:15 PM
I go around the edges with a gel type super glue too. It helps keeps the edges down. But be warned, if you decide to take the grip tape off the super glue will still be there and looks like kinda tacky.

TAP
03-10-2011, 09:20 PM
I use rubbing alcohol to clean surfaces before applying.

TCinVA
03-10-2011, 09:26 PM
Don't be afraid to really examine your grip and identify the exact spots where you need extra friction. You don't necessarily need to cover the whole grip in sandpaper to get the job done.

I second the motion of using rubbing alcohol or some sort of cleaner degreaser on the surface before applying the grip tape. I don't bother with superglue, however, as I've never found it necessary. I use the 3M safety tape you can buy in rolls at Home Depot and one application seems to stick on my guns for a couple of years with no problem.

orionz06
03-10-2011, 10:28 PM
I use the 3M safety tape you can buy in rolls at Home Depot and one application seems to stick on my guns for a couple of years with no problem.

Works great.

I used alcohol to clean as well.

Pistol Fan
03-11-2011, 08:15 AM
Anther vote for alcohol to clean first and round the edges of the tape. I also heat up the frame with a hair dryer first to get the glue nice and soft. But that is with steel framed pistols. Works well to soften everything up during application.

Rich Keagy
03-12-2011, 09:02 PM
Clean front strap before applying grip tape;
Use 3M blue tape to remove oil / dirt from front strap before applying grip tape. It's really easy!
Just put it on and peal it off. It takes hand oil, etc. off. Take grips off first.
The adhesive in the blue tape binds the oil / crud, so when you pull off the tape, the dirt comes with it.
Check it out. You'll see.
Cut grip tape 1" wide and adjust its shape before removing paper backing for application to gun.
Boy, those full size grip tape sheets will really last a long time huh!

Slavex
03-13-2011, 04:19 AM
I've recently put some grip tape on my CZ Shadow. I took the grips off, cleaned and degreased the entire area, then ran the tape so that it went under the grips. The grips then help hold the tape in place and keeps edges from peeling up.