PDA

View Full Version : What did I witness (Beretta failure, on-duty cop, years ago)?

ASH556
02-28-2019, 11:41 AM
One of the things that's kept me from Beretta for years is an event I witnessed and participated in, probably 15 years ago. As such, the details are fuzzy and at the time I had zero clue what I was doing anyway.

I was working nights at the LGS as a college student and one of the Metro ATL counties (Dekalb) was carrying Berettas (96 if memory serves). Anyway, a Dekalb cop comes into the shop, on duty and asks me to take a look at his gun. I don't know how it got this way, but what I remember is that there was a round chambered, safety on, and the lever wouldn't move. Again, this is all fuzzy, but as best I remember I removed the mag, switched down the takedown lever, and beat the slide off with a rubber mallet. I don't remember what happened after that, if the gun worked normally or not.

In my mind in the years following:
1. SA/DA guns =stupid because you have to learn 2 trigger presses
2. Beretta = stupid because slide-mounted controls
3. Beretta = extra bad because slide-mounted levers break and lock the gun up.

Now, I'm far from anything like a Beretta expert or armorer, but I did put a LTT TJIAB in my 92A1 last night, so I've had the frame all the way down. I've got to put a "G" kit in another gun tonight, so I guess I'll learn about the slide, but any idea what happened with the officer's gun?

crossrifles
02-28-2019, 11:47 AM
If he came into the gun shop asking for help.... He probably didn’t properly maintain the pistol. He’s equivalent to someone who only knows how to put gas in the car and doesn’t know how to open the hood or where the latch is period.

Probably spilled a Latte on it and didn’t want to get chewed by his weapons officer for not properly maintaining his weapons. Common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MistWolf
02-28-2019, 12:04 PM
...any idea what happened with the officer's gun?

He was using Froglube:D

I am not a Beretta fan, but someone I know whose experience with firearms is decades long and whose knowledge is wide and deep gives the Beretta 92 family of pistols his full endorsement.

feudist
02-28-2019, 12:07 PM
Never underestimate what a cop can do to a gun.

We had a guy show up at qualification once with an HK USP that was jammed up.

You could not pull the trigger at all.

Turned out there was a piece of gravel down in the trigger mechanism.

!?!?

"When was the last time you fired this?"

"Uh, last qual..."

We never figured that one out. Best guess he cleaned it at the range and dropped it, then never pulled the trigger again.

Poconnor
02-28-2019, 12:28 PM
I witnessed several police officers disable their pistols by “cleaning” them after rain storms. They would lock the slide to the rear, tooth brush hoppes #9 and then spray WD40 over the entire gun; especially in the trigger and hammer to get out the rain water. They load up and go back to work. Months later they show up to qualify and the gun won’t fire.

JR1572
02-28-2019, 01:20 PM
It’s been a while for me, but instead there a pin that holds the safety lever on the right side on that has to be driven out through the slide? If that works it’s way out it can possibly get stuck there and prevent the lever from moving.

The PX4 that was issued to me for a few years had a pin do the same thing and made the lever even harder to use because I have short thumbs.

JR1572

JRB
02-28-2019, 01:46 PM
During an M9 qual range I was running (Army) I caught a 2LT using his M9 as a hammer to get the locking pin out of the tailgate on a military trailer. He was wailing away with the M9, muzzle toward him, beating on this pin with the base of the magazine. The pin was one of the detent-style with a pushbutton you use to unlock the pin, much like how you unlock a socket from a ratchet.
The M9 looked like it'd been abused like this from day one, and day one was a long time ago.

30 minutes later a CPT shot a perfect qual score with the same M9.

So long as you avoid the shitty Gulf-war era parkerized magazines, the M9 is surprisingly reliable and I cannot believe how much punishment some of them sustain and still function reliably.

Pistol Pete 10
02-28-2019, 02:28 PM
I've owned a 92FS for about 18 years, shot a lot of IDPA with it. 1000s of rounds thru it. The only problem I had is that I accidentally applied the safety a couple times on reloads. I've since had Wilson convert it to a decocker only. I guess any thing can fail, I've even seen Glocks jam altho the 92 has never had a jam. My 2 cents............................

Chef
02-28-2019, 02:39 PM
They were 92G’s. Definitely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk