PDA

View Full Version : Training in Oregon ...anyone familiar with....

Medusa
02-27-2019, 02:13 PM
https://www.defensivefirearmsinstruction.org/

These guys ? Any thoughts? The reviews look decent, but I’d appreciate any in-person knowledge.

I thought I might try their Defensive Handgun 1 class as it is a prerequisite for other classes. I have shot idpa previously and am starting again, and I have had other training but it was long ago.

I know I’ll try to take Gabe White’s class when I think I’m good enough, but it looks like it’ll maybe be a while before he’s teaching in my area.

Other suggestions are welcome, too. Just wondering if anyone’s been to the above linked place and what they thought.

Wayne Dobbs
02-27-2019, 05:54 PM
https://www.defensivefirearmsinstruction.org/

These guys ? Any thoughts? The reviews look decent, but I’d appreciate any in-person knowledge.

I thought I might try their Defensive Handgun 1 class as it is a prerequisite for other classes. I have shot idpa previously and am starting again, and I have had other training but it was long ago.

I know I’ll try to take Gabe White’s class when I think I’m good enough, but it looks like it’ll maybe be a while before he’s teaching in my area.

Other suggestions are welcome, too. Just wondering if anyone’s been to the above linked place and what they thought.

I think you should do what's necessary to go take training from Gabe now. I doubt you'd ever regret that and the idea that you somehow "get good enough" to learn from a skilled trainer is damn near hilarious. If we thought that as a group, the greats would never have any students.

Medusa
02-27-2019, 05:57 PM
I think you should do what's necessary to go take training from Gabe now. I doubt you'd ever regret that and the idea that you somehow "get good enough" to learn from a skilled trainer is damn near hilarious. If we thought that as a group, the greats would never have any students.

And that’s fine. I’m. Probably ok to take his stuff, but the last time I looked at the schedule there’s nothing soon. Seemingly it’s not either / or.

Duke
02-27-2019, 06:20 PM
If you’re in Oregon thunder ranch seems like the must do.

That’s not to take away from Gabe White at all.

Clusterfrack
02-27-2019, 06:42 PM
https://www.clackamas.us/pstc/classes

This is Gabe White's training center. I recommend it highly.

Duke
02-27-2019, 07:05 PM

I didn’t realize Gabe was in Oregon

Medusa
02-27-2019, 07:12 PM
If you’re in Oregon thunder ranch seems like the must do.

That’s not to take away from Gabe White at all.

Thunder ranch looks spendy AF and not especially female friendly. I may be wrong.

Medusa
02-27-2019, 07:15 PM
Thank you. I saw his other site....didn’t think know about this one. I don’t need 101 but maybe I can do 101a. I’ll make some inquiries.

Duke
02-27-2019, 07:35 PM
Thunder ranch looks spendy AF and not especially female friendly. I may be wrong.

The woman who runs the place (Heidi Smith) is probably not anti female.

Lester Polfus
02-27-2019, 08:21 PM
I moved across the river from the PDX metro area about 6 years ago so some of my info may be a little dated.

The training at Clackamas County would be worth your time. They do make you buy their ammo, which is expensive, but the range also has excellent indoor air quality, and you don't have to worry about being on the line next to Sum Dood with his shitty Wolf ammo.

Unfortunately, Oregon Firearms Academy has shut down. I've been meaning to see if any of them are teaching anywhere else, but haven't gotten 'round to it.

I don't think I would describe Thunder Ranch as "anti-female." The training is excellent but spendy. I would suggest viewing some of his youtube videos or purchasing some of his DVDs before committing the $$ and time to make sure Clint would be a good fit for you.

I haven't trained with any of the guys in the link you posted. I know of one of them through two degrees of seperation. If I had to choose between the two, I'd pick CCPSTC. That isn't a slam on the other guys, just because CCPSTC is a known quantity.

If you've an interest in unarmed training, I can send some thoughts your way too.

Medusa
02-27-2019, 09:00 PM
The woman who runs the place (Heidi Smith) is probably not anti female.

There’s a difference between female friendly and anti female. There is a difference between tolerance and acceptance. Maybe I’ll go there one day, who knows. But I’ve followed their faceyspace page and seen some clips from Clint and draw some provisional conclusions. I’ll learn from anyone but this process is much like choosing any other educational institution.

Medusa
02-27-2019, 09:03 PM
Thank you.im sold on trying ccpstc for sure. Yes, we may be interested in unarmed, subject to what I’ve said elsewhere. Like I don’t need sumdood to show he’s fitter and stronger. I know that.

I moved across the river from the PDX metro area about 6 years ago so some of my info may be a little dated.

The training at Clackamas County would be worth your time. They do make you buy their ammo, which is expensive, but the range also has excellent indoor air quality, and you don't have to worry about being on the line next to Sum Dood with his shitty Wolf ammo.

Unfortunately, Oregon Firearms Academy has shut down. I've been meaning to see if any of them are teaching anywhere else, but haven't gotten 'round to it.

I don't think I would describe Thunder Ranch as "anti-female." The training is excellent but spendy. I would suggest viewing some of his youtube videos or purchasing some of his DVDs before committing the $$ and time to make sure Clint would be a good fit for you.

I haven't trained with any of the guys in the link you posted. I know of one of them through two degrees of seperation. If I had to choose between the two, I'd pick CCPSTC. That isn't a slam on the other guys, just because CCPSTC is a known quantity.

If you've an interest in unarmed training, I can send some thoughts your way too.

Duke
02-27-2019, 09:22 PM
There’s a difference between female friendly and anti female. There is a difference between tolerance and acceptance. Maybe I’ll go there one day, who knows. But I’ve followed their faceyspace page and seen some clips from Clint and draw some provisional conclusions. I’ll learn from anyone but this process is much like choosing any other educational institution.

Okay.

contemplating the differences between this or that is beyond the scope of my abilities in regards to where to train.

Clusterfrack
02-27-2019, 09:29 PM
There’s a good interview on the AWS podcast with Carrie Lightfoot, founder of the Well Armed Woman, that highlights the requirements of being a good instructor for women.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-american-warrior-show/id969281516?mt=2&i=1000425855430

Cookie Monster
02-27-2019, 10:16 PM

As a male I cannot comment or view with your lens. Been to Thunder Ranch a bunch, Heidi taught my anti-gun wife how to shoot and seen Heidi be pretty amazing to everyone.

I pretty much recommend anyone to go.

Lester Polfus
02-27-2019, 10:55 PM
Thank you.im sold on trying ccpstc for sure. Yes, we may be interested in unarmed, subject to what I’ve said elsewhere. Like I don’t need sumdood to show he’s fitter and stronger. I know that.

Roger. Can I shoot you a PM about the unarmed stuff?

Medusa
02-27-2019, 11:13 PM
Absolutely. Thank you.

Roger. Can I shoot you a PM about the unarmed stuff?

Wayne Dobbs
02-28-2019, 09:37 AM
And this forum proves again, that we will go out of our way to help somebody get to a better place in their knowledge journey.

Glenn E. Meyer
02-28-2019, 10:11 AM
Just to add, check out http://www.corneredcat.com/contents/ for tips for women and training.

Also, if you are willing to go to Washington -

https://firearmsacademy.com/
http://www.insightstraining.com/

That may seem far but being used to TX distances, it isn't so bad to me.

My two cents as a civilian consumer. What do you want to get out of it?

a. Firearms techniques - are the teachers wedded to one paradigm that may be seen as older nowadays with better choices
b. Practical procedures as a civilian carrier which include legal and decision making information for daily armed life
c. Law Enforcement or military usages - pure military backgrounds may not be congruent with some of the above
d. Does the instructor set credentials indicate that they have instruction in teaching firearms usage and related info. There are some recognized instructor programs out there - like Tom Givens. I think Gunsite and Ayoob run instructors classes. Knowing your stuff or performing doesn't mean you can teach them.

About gender issues - find some women graduates of the programs to get a hint. Males are clueless in most instances. Vicki Farnam gave a great talk about that. There are books oriented to women shooters that are worth the read by Vicki Farnam, Gila Hayes, Kathy Jackson.

Check out https://www.agirlandagun.org/chapters/

There doesn't seem to be an Oregon chapter but there are WA chapters who might give you insight into the PNW area.

Medusa
02-28-2019, 12:47 PM
thank you, Glenn, for that good post.

In that I've traveled all over the US to compete with cars, the distances aren't an issue, other than adding hotel costs to the training cost.

I'm kind of in a weird area because I'm not physically petite or delicate at all, and can swear like a sailor, and have taught techniques of automobile racing to (among others) men who need a very direct, hard hitting approach. So i can respond well to that approach, and I'm generally okay with that and don't need coddling. But I don't need or want political stickers and talk everywhere, chest thumping, evangelism, operators operating operationally, or for the instructor to forget I'm female, either. Training goals - one set relate to being a competent CCW person (I've had one before in VA, carried for years, am familiar with the law of self defense as an ongoing study, have applied out here); another set relates to my desire to get decent - i don't know really how good I am capable of being, but i'd like to find out - at IDPA (and possibly USPSA or IPSC, still on the fence there). There is some overlap between these goals, of course. I'd like to do one of Langdon's classes eventually.

Right now I'm kind of looking for the sorts of classes that are pre-reqs for other more advanced classes, as refreshers and a reminder of fundamentals.

Definitely gonna see what I can do with the Clackamas PSTC as a start.

Just to add, check out http://www.corneredcat.com/contents/ for tips for women and training.

Also, if you are willing to go to Washington -

https://firearmsacademy.com/
http://www.insightstraining.com/

That may seem far but being used to TX distances, it isn't so bad to me.

My two cents as a civilian consumer. What do you want to get out of it?

a. Firearms techniques - are the teachers wedded to one paradigm that may be seen as older nowadays with better choices
b. Practical procedures as a civilian carrier which include legal and decision making information for daily armed life
c. Law Enforcement or military usages - pure military backgrounds may not be congruent with some of the above
d. Does the instructor set credentials indicate that they have instruction in teaching firearms usage and related info. There are some recognized instructor programs out there - like Tom Givens. I think Gunsite and Ayoob run instructors classes. Knowing your stuff or performing doesn't mean you can teach them.

About gender issues - find some women graduates of the programs to get a hint. Males are clueless in most instances. Vicki Farnam gave a great talk about that. There are books oriented to women shooters that are worth the read by Vicki Farnam, Gila Hayes, Kathy Jackson.

Check out https://www.agirlandagun.org/chapters/

There doesn't seem to be an Oregon chapter but there are WA chapters who might give you insight into the PNW area.

nwhpfan
03-01-2019, 03:13 PM
OK, I'm going to recommend Keith Tyler (http://tylerfirearmsinstruction.net/Keith-Tyler.aspx) and perhaps cheby and Clusterfrack can chime in because I thought one, or both trained with him. Keith is in Vancouver but holds his training at Albany Rifle and Pistol Club.

So besides having a 20 year LE career (still active) which includes being a Firearms Instructor; he's a USPSA GM, perhaps in multiple divisions. I've shot with, against, squaded with him numerous times. He's an all around good guy, very nice and humble. His kids are big time junior shooters too. But what is most impressive to me was about 2-3 years ago he started this "academy" of mostly C and B class shooters where he provided them weekly Dry Fire and Live Fire plans and I think a couple times a year they met and did training.... Seems like about everyone from his group made Master class and maybe somebody in there even made GM.

Clusterfrack
03-01-2019, 03:23 PM
Yes, a big +1 for Keith Tyler. I owe him major credit for my M card.

He’s a great instructor for people of all gender and age.

cheby
03-01-2019, 05:49 PM
Yes, Keith is a great instructor and a good friend. He is Open GM which is the most difficult GM rank to accomplish in my opinion.

Drang
03-01-2019, 06:09 PM
Seconding Glenn E. Meyer's recommendation that you look into F•A•S - The Firearms Academy of Seattle, Inc. (https://firearmsacademy.com/)

About two-three hours north of you (depending on PDX traffic :mad:) and most classes are one day, and start late enough that you won't be getting up before the roosters to make it.

(Mrs Drang's family mostly live in and around Salem, I notice the formerly 3-4 hour drive down has been getting longer and longer...)

Medusa
03-01-2019, 07:52 PM
I’ve emailed Keith.

I’ll make contact with the Clackamas range too, was thinking I might wait for my chl since I know that serves in lieu of a background check, though a bgck is ok if necessary. Hopefully chl comes through by end of the month, beginning next.

Grouse870
03-03-2019, 11:25 AM
Sent you a PM

Drang
03-04-2019, 01:10 PM
Changing gears a bit, if you spend any time north of the Columbia, Washington is far more generous with carry permits for those from out of state than Orygun. BTW.

Medusa
03-04-2019, 01:43 PM
Changing gears a bit, if you spend any time north of the Columbia, Washington is far more generous with carry permits for those from out of state than Orygun. BTW.

I am trying to obtain a Utah nonresident chl, which seems to be a fairly common default as many Oregon chl permit classes have Utah nonres as a component.

One thing I didn’t like about Washington non res permits is it appears you have to apply in person. Not the end of the world, but if I can get the Utah one wa state honors it is my understanding.

Drang
03-04-2019, 01:55 PM
One thing I didn’t like about Washington non res permits is it appears you have to apply in person. Not the end of the world, but if I can get the Utah one wa state honors it is my understanding.

I realize you would have to travel through Portland, but visiting Vancouver isn't that bad!

Medusa
03-04-2019, 02:03 PM
I realize you would have to travel through Portland, but visiting Vancouver isn't that bad!

Don’t misunderstand. I love Portland, at least many facets of it. But the traffic sucks when one doesn’t have to battle it. Vantucky I haven’t spent any time in at all, just a drive through on he way someplace else many times, but it’s good to know the non res permit process isn’t too onerous if you make the trip. I kind of wondered about that.

[I did see, shortly after moving here from Virginia, towing a race car home from an event in WA, a bunch of people waving confederate flags near a park named after Jefferson Davis near Vancouver. To say I was dismayed and disappointed would be an understatement.]

Clusterfrack
03-04-2019, 02:08 PM
Don’t misunderstand. I love Portland, at least many facets of it. But the traffic sucks when one doesn’t have to battle it. Vantucky I haven’t spent any time in at all, just a drive through on he way someplace else many times, but it’s good to know the non res permit process isn’t too onerous if you make the trip. I kind of wondered about that.

[I did see, shortly after moving here from Virginia, towing a race car home from an event in WA, a bunch of people waving confederate flags near a park named after Jefferson Davis near Vancouver. To say I was dismayed and disappointed would be an understatement.]

I have CHLs for OR, UT, AZ, and WA. I keep my WA permit just in case. It's so easy to renew.

Drang
03-04-2019, 02:08 PM
$65, prints, wait. About a month, probably, for a non-resident.

Seattle, of all places, used to do it by mail, but the state made them stop. To bad.

You do know that you moved to a state that essentially had "Don't let the sun set on you here" signs at all borders until fairly recently, don't you?
(IIRC, it was sometime in the 30s before Oregon's ban on African-Americans was abolished.)

Medusa
03-04-2019, 02:09 PM
I have CHLs for OR, UT, AZ, and WA. I keep my WA permit just in case. It's so easy to renew.

Well, I will look into it again; if I get my oregon chl first I expect it’ll be easier.

Medusa
03-04-2019, 02:12 PM
Yes, I do. And it’s still far, far better than Virginia, and so we are glad we moved. But after some years here I’m under few illusions about the facets of the PNW that don’t look so shiny. You may be quite certain of that.

Do you know if appointments are necessary or that depends on the specific place you apply?

$65, prints, wait. About a month, probably, for a non-resident.

Seattle, of all places, used to do it by mail, but the state made them stop. To bad.

You do know that you moved to a state that essentially had "Don't let the sun set on you here" signs at all borders until fairly recently, don't you?
(IIRC, it was sometime in the 30s before Oregon's ban on African-Americans was abolished.)

Drang
03-04-2019, 02:19 PM
Yes, I do. And it’s still far, far better than Virginia, and so we are glad we moved. But after some years here I’m under few illusions about the facets of the PNW that don’t look so shiny. You may be quite certain of that.

Do you know if appointments are necessary or that depends on the specific place you apply?

Wasn't sure how long you'd been there. In my experience, the dichotomy between urban/rural is sharper in OR than anywhere else, although my experience is hardly exhaustive.

I have never heard of having to make an appointment in WA (unlike OR) but many do have specific hours for CPLs, depending largely on what resource they use for fingerprinting, so there may be some office, somewhere, that does appointments. BTW, you can check either Vancouver or Clark County, either or both may process non-resident permits.

One local city uses (or used to) volunteers for prints, so you had to be able to show up when the volunteers were there, usually one or two mornings a week. Since I'm now renewing, it's a matter of walking in, dropping off the paperwork and the payment, and waiting; the city where I now live does not restrict hours for that.

Medusa
03-04-2019, 04:09 PM
Happily, my oregon chl arrived today. I’m kinda happy about it. 🦄

I’ll make some calls for Washington state I guess.

Lester Polfus
03-04-2019, 04:42 PM

The hardest part of getting my CHL at the Clark County SO (https://www.clark.wa.gov/sheriff/firearms) was finding a parking spot downtown. They are super professional and efficient. If you show up with the form already printed and filled out you can be done in a few minutes.

NETim
03-04-2019, 04:56 PM

I've been to TR multiple times. Normally there are females in the class. They are treated with respect and courtesy. Clint is rough around the edges and his language is probably what one would expect from a two tour Vietnam Marine.

But damn, the class is solid. If you can work up the $$$$ it is well worth it.

Edited to add: I have a sister-in-law who's been 2x, a niece and a niece-in-law who have been to TR once each, in a female only class. They loved it.

Medusa
03-06-2019, 06:57 PM
I spoke with Mr. White today, which was cool. I’ll get started either with 101 or 101a and take it one course at a time from there. I’m excited about it. The only way out of the basement is up.

Totem Polar
03-06-2019, 09:45 PM
Since you’ve also noted an interest in defensive use of edged weapons here before, I am obligated to throw this link out here:

http://shivworks.com/course/ewo-oregon-2019/

I just did this class last weekend. Highly recommended. Craig is a good dude and a great teacher. Plenty of others here will vouch for that.

Clusterfrack
03-06-2019, 10:21 PM
+1 about EWO. Excellent class.

0ddl0t
03-07-2019, 12:17 AM

Don't bother with AZ, WA or UT, just get the Idaho Enhanced permit and you'll be good to go everywhere in the west but CA and CO:

OR resident + ID enhanced:

OR resident + UT:
(Same as ID except no NM or MN)

OR resident + WA:
(No DE, GA, WY, NM, or MN)

You are also good to go in Illinois as long as you are just passing through on the highway. If you stop and visit, your permit is no good.

Medusa
03-07-2019, 12:20 AM
Don't bother with AZ, WA or UT, just get the Idaho Enhanced permit and you'll be good to go everywhere in the west but CA and CO:

Well, I travel all over for car racing, and also, I like Idaho well enough but it’s not a trivial drive compared to a mail in Utah permit and a short trip to wa state.

And no, not gonna make a trip to Idaho le with a race car in tow on a race weekend. So...

0ddl0t
03-07-2019, 12:33 AM
Well, I travel all over for car racing, and also, I like Idaho well enough but it’s not a trivial drive compared to a mail in Utah permit and a short trip to wa state.

And no, not gonna make a trip to Idaho le with a race car in tow on a race weekend. So...

WA is a waste of money imo. OR+UT gets you everything OR+WA does plus UT also gets you Wyoming & Georgia. You should play around with the ccw reciprocity map: https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

PS: I would still call the Sheriff's department in each Idaho county to see if you can find one who would be willing to process your application by mail. I think you'll probably find success with 1 or 2 counties as long as you have a law enforcement officer willing to finger print you...

Medusa
03-07-2019, 12:47 AM
I hear you. Is why the plan I put in place already is or, now in hand, plus ut non resident(applied for). I might get wa too because it sounds, based in info on this thread, straightforward and I go to wa a lot. ceterus paribus, I guess I’d just as soon have a wa permit to produce in wa if I ever had to.

RJ
03-07-2019, 04:39 PM
I hear you. Is why the plan I put in place already is or, now in hand, plus ut non resident(applied for). I might get wa too because it sounds, based in info on this thread, straightforward and I go to wa a lot. ceterus paribus, I guess I’d just as soon have a wa permit to produce in wa if I ever had to.

I hereby give you a like for correct use of ceterus paribus in a sentence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RJ
03-07-2019, 04:42 PM
On topic: I have trained with Gabe twice now. Once at the Clackamas range in OR, and September in Lakeland.

He is a very deep thinker, and cares passionately about his craft. I’m pretty much a noob, but in my book, he is highly highly highly recommended.

Medusa
03-07-2019, 05:34 PM
awww, shucks. ya mean going to law school and 6 years of grad school before that was worthwhile after all? smiles.

on topic - it also looks like I will be able to do Keith Tyler's Handgun 1 and 2 very soon, and I'm super excited about that. As I told Keith, I'm just really down on my shooting right now.

I hereby give you a like for correct use of ceterus paribus in a sentence.

Clusterfrack
03-07-2019, 06:07 PM
^^^excellent! You are going to learn so much. Keith is a very talented instructor.

David S.
03-08-2019, 07:03 AM
Looks like you’re in good hands with Mr White and Mr Tyler.

Another option that’s worth mentioning for people looking for local training is the Rangemaster Certified Instructor network. I don’t think there’s a website listing certified instructors, but I’m sure you could reach out to them and they might have someone reasonably local to put you in touch with. It’s not magic certificate. It’s 3-5 days of solid instructor training, but I understand it’s better than the NRA certs. Like anything, certification doesn’t guarantee quality. It just means the person has passed a fairly rigorous coursework and test.

Also, look for women’s shooting networks in your area if that’s your style. “Shoot Like a Girl” and “A Girl and a Gun” come immediately to mind. They may have resources too.

Medusa
03-13-2019, 06:18 PM
Well, I met Mr. White today, and eked my way into handgun 101a at the end of April. Yay. I also have two classes with Mr. Tyler at the end of this month / beginning next, and then I will do the TPC three day in summer. I’m also shooting idpa matches regularly, may try a Uspsa type if I gain some confidence. I wouldn’t have found these classes or trainers without the help of people here. Same for Stoeger’s books.

So, a sincere thank you. I genuinely appreciate the help.

Clusterfrack
03-13-2019, 09:46 PM
You are on a path to awesome. And it's going to be so much fun.

Yung
03-15-2019, 12:23 AM
Mr. White's a real treat to listen to and watch while he does his thing. I suggest bringing something to take notes with if you haven't already started a training journal.

Medusa
03-15-2019, 12:48 AM
Mr. White's a real treat to listen to and watch while he does his thing. I suggest bringing something to take notes with if you haven't already started a training journal.

I’m super nerdy. Many notes will be taken. 🦄

willie
03-15-2019, 11:28 AM
Do you remember when I said that we are a bunch of knuckleheads, and that you can be one too? I was correct, dear super nerdy fellow knucklehead. Please be sure to give us a report. For instance, what did you learn to do differently? Also, you may even disagree with one or more technical points presented. If so, please share. I for one enjoy reading about equipment, especially holsters. Sometimes people show up with modified pistols that fail during class. And so on. I drink CZ kool aid and am eager to read experts' opinions on these pistols. In the past they had a few problems. We look forward to reading your account.

RJ
03-16-2019, 05:05 AM
...if you haven't already started a training journal.

This would be pretty interesting.

Second a Notebook for a Gabe White Class. There is a lot going on.

Also, good post willie.

Medusa
03-16-2019, 09:15 AM
I am naturally a note taker, as I said.

I have journals and logs for both of my competition cars, and I do something similar for my shooting. These are not public documents, any more than is my personal journal.

I will certainly post questions as they occur.

This would be pretty interesting.

Second a Notebook for a Gabe White Class. There is a lot going on.

Also, good post willie.

UNM1136
03-21-2019, 11:23 AM
I am naturally a note taker, as I said.

I have journals and logs for both of my competition cars, and I do something similar for my shooting. These are not public documents, any more than is my personal journal.

I will certainly post questions as they occur.

I certainly would not suggest you publish journals that you don't want in the public eye, but I do hope that you would consider a solid After Action Review (AAR) and some lessons learned for a few reasons:

1. So that the community at large here will have more data points for trainers/classes, from different perspectives. As we have discussed before, your situation is not mine, nor mine yours. A well worded published AAR could cause someone to PM if they needed clarifications if you don't wish to publish a couple of experiences or thoughts for whatever reason that may be helpful to others in the future. Training is not cheap and you may be able to help future shooters choose wisely. You have a unique perspective and the ability become more of a resource for others.

2. Some shooters may not have access to the resources necessary right now, and may be trying to problem solve as best they can. You illustrating a problem you are having, with the solution offered by the trainer may be just the ticket for someone struggling with a similar issue, whether the offered solution helped you or not. It is not a replacement for formal training, but maybe a stepping stone that proves successful that leads to formal training.

3. We tend to be our own harshest critics, particularly if we perceive our skills as deficient. Southnarc correcting me for looking over my sights at 3 yards was something I doubt he remembers, even considering how much wrangling it took for me to get into the class. I was a badass street cop and firearms instructor with nearly a decade of experience at the time, and that stuck with me. I am much more patient with shooters doing the same thing. When I took AFHF with TLG I was the second worst in the class. Having been there, can you imagine how I want to support struggling shooters? And related to both points above, I think, based on feedback, that it has made me more easily approached by someone intimidated by names and titles. What is more embarrassing than asking someone for help when you are struggling?

4. Own your weaknesses, and your strengths; hold yourself accountable. And, maybe, allow us to celebrate your victories with you.

Sorry, this has been a crap week for sleep, and I should have been to bed an hour ago to get an appropriate amount of sleep to face tomorrow's shift.

pat

Medusa
03-21-2019, 11:50 AM
I hear what you’re saying and appreciate it.

I walk a line in terms of what I say publicly, especially here. I do choose to compete in matches, which is always a form of taking public ownership of one’s weaknesses. I’m at or near the bottom. As a two time national champion in a different sport, it’s difficult to be in the basement, but there’s nothing for it but to do the work to get out of the basement and see what it possible.

I trust it’ll be apparent to me after classes what, if anything, I can say that’s useful.

willie
03-21-2019, 11:32 PM
I look forward to reading about your classes. When you talk about what you learned, those comments very well might provide information that many of us don't know. Such has been the case when others have reported. Since you are a fairly new member, we will have opportunity to hear somebody else's findings. I bet that you will have fun and enjoy the company of other worthwhile folks. When they discover that you race cars, cars and not guns will become the conversation topic. Today I had my picture taken while standing next to somebody else's Harley. That will be sent to friends who will say WHAT!

David S.
03-31-2019, 10:11 AM
Arik Levy (Firearms Nation Podcast) just replayed an interview with Keith Tyler (https://player.fm/series/firearms-nation-podcast/fnp-105-keith-tyler-the-process-of-shooting) from his Shooter’s Summit.

titsonritz
09-12-2022, 04:11 PM
Anyone in Oregon and Washington or even Idaho looking for excellent training should check out Cerberus Training Group (https://cerberus-training.com/)

Steve is a retired LEO, he continues to train pre-SWAT guys in the use of firearms for local agencies and is an excellent instructor. He also hosts a wide range of vetted professionals that complements his own instruction, including Fieldcraft Survival (Mike Glover), Tap Rack Tactical (Bill Blowers), Kinetic Consulting (Jon Dufresne) Presscheck Consulting (Chuck Pressburg) and Shot IQ (Joel Turner) to name a few and is always on the hunt for others.

Also, in the wake of all the school shootings and as part of his community help outreach, if you are a school resource officer or school staff member he will train you for free.