PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Leupold VX-R Patrol Tactical?

MK11
02-25-2019, 04:48 PM
I realize this is probably overpriced (https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/leupold-vx-r-patrol-tactical-rifle-scopes?searchTerm=leupold%20patrol) but I'm burning credit card points. Any opinions on this or the Fire Dot reticle in general? For my situation, lighter weight trumps magnification, so I'm OK with 4x. Thanks!

NH Shooter
02-25-2019, 05:13 PM
Nice scope for the money: light weight, nice glass and I liked the auto-off/wake-up when moved feature.

The reticle is OK but I wasn't crazy about it. Not a deal breaker, but just a tad busy to my eye.

BobM
02-25-2019, 09:13 PM
I have the 3-9 version on my MP10. My only complaint is that the turrets move to easily, sometimes even from rubbing the inside of a soft case. I have the VX/R Hog Hunter 1-4 on another AR and am quite happy with it. It has capped turrets.

41magfan
02-25-2019, 09:59 PM
I have two standard reticle VX-R's (capped turrets); one in 1.25 x 5 and the other a 2 x 7 and I'm pleased with both. The eye-relief on the lowered power model is very forgiving and when dialed down, the FOV makes it about as useful as a RDS ... albeit much heavier and larger.

Suvorov
02-25-2019, 11:48 PM
I got one when they first came out so I have had mine for several years now and I like it overall. The retical works well and the FireDot is visible in all lighting conditions and I have yet to need to change the battery. The low range is not a true 1x so it is not as fast as a red dot but I find I can still make my standards with it. 4X is not as high as I would like but a lot better than nothing. The only real/minor issue I have with mine is that the fire dot is not exactly centered at the center of the reticle. It can be fixed but I haven't sent the scope in as I really don't think it has affected my accuracy at all. As you already assumed - you can find a better price but if you are burning points go for it.

FPS
02-26-2019, 02:12 AM
I’ve got a 3-9 mrad and glass clarity, weight, and dot brightness and size are all thumbs up. I wish they made one in a 2-10 or 2-12. Excellent scope for the price point.

Paul Blackburn
02-26-2019, 05:28 AM
I've got this one and love it! Capped turrets, 11.5 oz, its as fast as a red dot, and good battery life. Made hits out to 300 yards pretty easy.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-vx-r-1-25-4x20-matte-rifle-scope.html

NH Shooter
02-26-2019, 08:02 AM
Another Leupold option to consider;

FX-II Ultralight 2.5x20mm (https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rimfire-scopes/fx-ii-ultralight-2-5x20mm) mounted with a Daniel Defense mount (https://danieldefense.com/components-parts/daniel-defenser-1-optics-mount-double-ring.html).

Pros;

Extremely light weight - optic is just over six ounces, scope and mount together 12.2 ounces
Long eye relief and forgiving eye box makes two-eyes-open shooting very easy
Low profile turrets provide unobstructed FOV with two eyes open
Actual magnification is 2.2x, which I find perfect for a fixed magnification scope on a general-purpose carbine
Simple duplex reticle (I like simple), center cross hair subtends about 1 MOA at 2.2x
Optics are bright and clear (even more so than the VX-R)
This model has a superb track record on heavy recoiling, dangerous game rifles and has widespread excellent reviews
Available from the Leupold custom shop (https://customshop.leupold.com/configure/fx-ii-ultralight-2-5x20mm/?s=95&r=9&aw=2&ae=2) with different reticles, CDS turrets, etc.
Adjustable eye piece (diopter) to compensate for crappy eyesight

Cons;

no illuminated reticle option
no mil-dot reticle options

I'm using a 150-yard zero for the scope, which places a 75-grain Gold Dot pill about .7" high at 100 yards, 2.6" low at 200 and 14.2" low at 300. At some point I may be tempted to send the scope back to Leupold for a set of CDS turrets, with the elevation turret calibrated for the 75 grain Gold Dot load.

Maybe I'm just a weirdo, but I really like this scope on my grab 'n go AR, which I have optimized for the CQC-to-300 yard envelope. I'm also using the MBUS Pro offset sights (added since I took the above photo), which makes me comfortable that I have my aiming/sighting requirements well covered with less than a pound of cargo attached to the rifle.

HCM
02-26-2019, 11:12 AM
I've got this one and love it! Capped turrets, 11.5 oz, its as fast as a red dot, and good battery life. Made hits out to 300 yards pretty easy.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-vx-r-1-25-4x20-matte-rifle-scope.html

The only real issue with the VX-R Patrol is I have never understood why they put exposed target turrets on a LPV.

The glass and illumination are good. The 1.25x is usable

I like the circle of the SPR reticle for close fast work but give the exposed turrets I would choose one of the other VX-R 1.25-4 models with capped turrets unless I got a deal on a used one.

I’ve had two of these overthe years. For similar money I would likely get a Steiner 1-4 instead.

PearTree
02-26-2019, 01:26 PM
For the price listed in the link I would buy a Steiner, I like it much better than the leupold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Hearne
02-26-2019, 02:44 PM
We've got a couple in the field and they are holding up on 308's. We did find out that if the rifle is in a locking rack in a patrol vehicle, routing driving motion will keep triggering the reticle and burn through batteries. If you put it in a padded case in the back of the vehicle then it works fine.

Alpha Sierra
02-26-2019, 02:46 PM
For the price listed in the link I would buy a Steiner, I like it much better than the leupold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1

The Steiner P4Xi 1-4X can be found for the same or less and it's significantly better in every department except weight, and even then it's still 17 oz.

ST911
02-26-2019, 06:35 PM
I have a VX-R Patrol in 3-9, mil/mil. All use is 5.56mm. Some precision rifle courses, lots of shooting, lots of bouncing around in cars. Mine has exceeded my expectations and I recommed it to others wanting a Leupold and/or who are limited to that price point. Tracks true, holds zero. Exposed turrets need a loop of tape or they bump out of adjustment. Crosshair is a little coarse but good enough for most work. The lume is supposed to be smart but I'll occasionally find it on and dim or a dead battery even after I thought I shut it off. A planned upgrade will move it to a hunting bolt gun and I suspect it will go quite awhile longer. Experience with the 1-4 variant is more limited but is similarly positive. Viable option.