PDA

View Full Version : Compensator vs ported barrel?

john c
02-25-2019, 02:21 AM
Others have referenced that the Roland special is the same length as a G34 and can use G34 holsters. So is there an advantage to having a compensated G19 versus a ported G34? Or is the advantage in having a shorter G19 grip?

UNM1136
02-25-2019, 09:23 AM
I am sure Doc will be along shortly., I believe he knew the principals developing it. I only knew two of them through various forums, mainly Lightfighter and 10-8, never talked to them personally offline.

As I recall the discussion, any firearm imaginable is available to those guys, but Glock 19s are a dime a dozen in many SOSCOM and JSOC units. Chosen for many reasons, including concealability , reliability, accuracy, etc. So it made a reasonable place to start. Apparently when you have a large ammunition budget, and very talented gunsmiths to tweak your gear, you can do a lot of testing and trial and error. KKM match grade barrels and two port comps were the winners. Far more effective than the ported "C" type Glocks. Shooters I know playing with the concept have been pleasantly surprised. Fitting G34 holsters was a nice bonus.

If I recall, the requirement was for a pistol that could be easily concealed, and be used to take headshots on moving targets at 25m. Under NODS.

If you search around, people have been chopping G17s and 34s to G19 lengths for decades, and folks on this board were some of the earliest adopters.. I am getting ready to do my first one myself. Some people are even chopping 19s to G26 length. There are several discussion threads and How-TOS on this forum, as well as a bit of information on the Roland.

Search around a bit. You might be surprised.

pat