PDA

View Full Version : Knives for ladies

BillSWPA
02-19-2019, 10:32 PM
In the pistols for ladies thread, a point was made that some ladies who, for whatever reason, will not carry a gun will sometimes carry a knife. So, if one was to recommend, or perhaps design, a knife for a lady, what characteristics would be desirable?

Some initial thoughts:

Legality of carry is preferred. Thus, while a fixed blade might be workable in some places, folders would generally be preferred.

The carry system is likely to be more important than the design of the knife itself. If the carry system does not work with a lady’s mode of dress, the knife will not be carried. Pocket clips are great until a pocket is not a part of the outfit. Access after the fight has started is critical.

The handle should fit the hand. Perhaps not much should stick out of the hand other than the blade to make disarming more difficult.

The blade shape should be helpful in emergencies beyond defense, such as working the blade into a tight space between something that must be cut and a person who should not be cut.

So, what does everyone think the desirable features would be? I am particularly interested in hearing from the ladies here, but do not wish to exclude other feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Medusa
02-19-2019, 11:00 PM
Thanks for posting this. I’m trying to find something for my wife, and maybe for me. I’ve been searching knife threads here and see the Spyderco Delica mentioned here and there kind of often. I’ve learned what the knife laws are here and in states we’d likely travel to. But I’m definitely interested to hear what folks have to offer.

Oukaapie
02-19-2019, 11:13 PM
Small fixed blade and some scenario training.
I love blades and I love women (and dudes that dress up like women) but they are a questionable combo. I worry a lot about them being taken away and used on our ladies. Pepper spray or an LCP2 may be an easier discussion. Perhaps have them start by reading Gavin De Becker, The Gift of Fear. Convincing someone that doesn’t take threats seriously is a hell of a thing. I came from South Africa where everyone knew a bunch of people that had been attacked but I was still surrounded by people that believed it would never happyto them. At some point the preaching gets exhausting.

PS- getting a folder into action under duress is no small feat.

PNWTO
02-19-2019, 11:34 PM
My wife has the Delica 4 and she likes it. Some points that I note:

* It has a trainer.

* She isn't intimidated by, and likes to use, the "Spyderhole".

* The clip and pivot are secure enough that she feels comfortable wearing it IWB in most pants, leggings, or shorts she has.

* I also got the sheath from Bladerigs to allow IWB of an open Delica but it doesn't get much use. I still think it is a nice option and a way to show the advantage of a fixed blade.

* True to stereotype, it can be had in a "girly" color.

I have showed her my old CQC-7 to see if she favored the wave feature but she still liked the Spyderco.

It should also be noted that she has had exactly zero time training with edged besides what myself and friends have passed on to her and she has little interest to attend such a class. My suggestion for you is to perhaps get a Delica trainer and a Kershaw/Emerson trainer to see which style is preferred, then get the appropriate live blade and off-load the rejected trainer.

Darth_Uno
02-20-2019, 12:54 AM
My wife has a mid-size Kershaw (Leek maybe) in the rainbow pattern. She just liked it. It stays buried in her purse and would be entirely useless in a fight because it’d take half an hour to find it. She does use it for normal knife stuff.

When she runs though, she carries a Quartermaster ALF lashed to her arm and pepper spray. The pepper spray rides in some sort of neoprene arm holster so it doesn’t bounce around.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Quartermaster-Knives-ALF-1-Titanium--21628

I have no reviews on this blade. She picked it, she likes it, so that’s a winner I guess.

Totem Polar
02-20-2019, 02:01 AM
Thanks for posting this. I’m trying to find something for my wife, and maybe for me. I’ve been searching knife threads here and see the Spyderco Delica mentioned here and there kind of often. I’ve learned what the knife laws are here and in states we’d likely travel to. But I’m definitely interested to hear what folks have to offer.

You could do a lot worse than matching Delicas with the wharncliffe blade.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP11FPWCBK/spyderco-c11fpwcbk-delica-4-wharncliffe-folding-knife-vg10-satin-plain-blade-black-frn-handles

My lady and I each have one of these for travel; the "matriarch" was originally a down-sized/down-priced version of the legendary "Civilian," produced as a counter sexual-assault knife for a South African distributor. This Bento Box version is built on the delica frame. Hell, it’s even called the "Matriarch;" probably fits the bill as much as any folder.

http://www.bentoboxshop.com/images/Bento_Box_Shop_Lil_Matriarch.jpg

ETA:

Small fixed blade and some scenario training.

PS- getting a folder into action under duress is no small feat.

I agree wholeheartedly with this^^^

I realize that the OP stated a folder as preferred, and I think PNWTO made a great case as to why the delica-based knife makes real sense. Obviously, I agree, and my shining a light on a couple of hopped-up delica options shows that.

But smart, short fixed blades in good carry rigs rule. I’ve totally drunk the Douglas clinch pick Kool-aid, and multiple FoF-filled weekends have done nothing to blunt my enthusiasm for the concept.

As a trivial aside, the very first Spyderco-sanction edged weapons class that I am aware of was developed at the tail end of the 80s and dawn of the 90s: the ‘clipit’ course, built around the delica, and taught by Eric Remmen of NW Safari. Serious old-school shit, and both my wife and I are graduates. She still has a bias towards the little spydercos to this day.

BillSWPA
02-20-2019, 07:15 AM
Thanks for he replies so far. Please keep them coming.

Re: fixed blade v. folder, there are enough places where fixed blades are ok so that they should be considered, but if I recall correctly, they are not ok in more than half of US states.

I am particularly interested in thoughts on desirable knife features and workable carry systems. What would you like to see (even if it is not yet made)?

Oukaapie
02-20-2019, 09:15 AM
I agree that getting a knife that has an identical trainer is a best practice for folders. Emerson have them as does Spyderco and perhaps a few others. The Benchmade SOCP has a trainer as well. I prefer the single to the double edge. That double seems somewhat immune to being sharp and I’m a fan of pushing or pulling once the blade is in.

That Spyderco Matriarch is exquisite!

Chuck Whitlock
02-20-2019, 10:44 AM
She picked it, she likes it, so that’s a winner I guess.

I think this is what it comes down to. A knife..that she will use...is going to be as individual as a handgun or a pair of shoes.

My wife has had a little Kershaw Chive before, and carried it somewhat. The last one I bought for her was an Oso Sweet:
https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Pocketknife-Satin-Finished-Glass-Filled-Reversible/dp/B00172A3DE/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2DLI4DPIMY81T&keywords=kershaw+oso+sweet+knife&qid=1550676594&s=gateway&sprefix=kershaw+oso+sweet%2Caps%2C792&sr=8-1

...which is not a bad little folder and the pocket clip looks almost like some kind of cute jewelry. Nowadays, the likeliest place for a blade to reside is her purse, which is where her handgun is. The knives are there if she ever decides to grab one, but I'm not going to try to push the matter.

Gun Mutt
02-20-2019, 12:09 PM
I think this is what it comes down to. A knife..that she will use...
So much this. If she (or he, fwiw) has one present and will use it, then I'm already a fan of all the other parts of their answer.

My wife has a well above average survival instinct and a fighter's heart, both wildly exacerbated by motherhood. Caught flatfooted on strange ground, she'd find the closest improvised weapon to strike/stab with plans on choking any mf'er that makes it past her initial onslaught. I know armed men I can't say that about.

All this was already in her, all I did was accept her warrior heart and encourage her to explore it. And I'm me, so I had lots of time, experience, training, gear and connections I could share with her. If a lady (or guy) ain't interested in owning a training blade and taking ol' Beat 'Em Up Bob to task for sins both real and imagined, then I don't know how to convince them to want to...or why they're hanging out with me in the first place.

I ran bars and nightclubs for a couple of decades, so I have the somewhat unique perspective of working with a large and diverse number of women and in closer proximity, with greater familiarity and teamwork than most people will usually get to experience. From that time, there are dozens of women still carrying a flashlight in their purse, probably tens who also have a knife in there, too, maybe a few that still have it clipped in their pocket or waistband and couple-three that carry pistols more days than not. I've careened wildly through most of my life, but I've done my damndest to leave a vast array of armed women in my wake...no thanks necessary, it's more of a heads up, really.

Ok, this post has turned into more of a rambling Random Thoughts rant than I intended and I've got to jump off. I'll check in later and see if there's any more shovels I can fuck.

Old Man Winter
02-20-2019, 12:14 PM
The most success I've had getting my wife to carry a blade consistently has been with a fruit knife. It's small, thin, lightweight and she has the option of neck carry or pocket carry. We tried a few different types of cordage to find something that wasn't abrasive and put some molehair on the sheath. I think the key is making it small, light, and very convenient or it's gonna end up in the purse.

For people where the fixed blade is a no go, #1 and #2 Phillips screwdrivers shouldn't be overlooked. Cheap, small, strong, multiple options for grip and length. Long history of turning people room temperature.

Clusterfrack
02-20-2019, 12:31 PM
One of my daughters carries a Spyderco Sage (https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C123CFCL/Sage-5-Compression-Lock/995).

https://assets.brandfolder.com/oabtel-t85bc-g64dof/element@2x.png

The other daughter carries an Emerson Mini Roadhouse (https://emersonknives.com/shop/knives/roadhouse/mini-roadhouse/).

https://cdn.emersonknives.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Mini-Roadhouse-SF-1.jpg

JHC
02-20-2019, 12:44 PM
Some years ago when these (Spyderco Native) were less expensive I went through 3 of them - as soon as I got one, one woman or another I knew or worked with wanted it for being out jogging or some shit. I like it's blade size and shape a little more than the Delica although I can't point to a functional reason why.

https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Native-Plain-Serrated-Handle/dp/B00YUL1JZU/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1550684345&sr=8-6&keywords=Spyderco+Native

JHC
02-20-2019, 12:45 PM
If I were ordering an economical small fixed blade right now, it might be this one. $58.00

https://www.amazon.com/CRKT-SIWI-Fixed-Blade-Knife/dp/B0768Q8ZTR/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1550684564&sr=8-1&keywords=CRKT+fixed+blade

Edit: Dang, I just did order it.

Warped Mindless
02-20-2019, 01:07 PM
My lady stole one of my Colonel Blades and carries it appendix.

Sometimes instead of that she will carry a "hideaway knife" with the bra clip attachment which essentially turns it into a neck knife without needing a chain for it. Not idea but works for her in some situations.

Rarely is will just carry a tactical pen and a mean "F off" face to go with it. Seems to work well for her.

BobLoblaw
02-20-2019, 01:17 PM
For folks that prefer a compression lock, the Spyderco Para 3 Lightweight is coming out soon and it’s basically the same weight and similar cost as a Delica.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP223PBK/spyderco-para-3-lightweight-folding-knife-292-cts-bd1n-satin-plain-blade-black-frn-handles-paramilitary-3

Clusterfrack
02-20-2019, 01:29 PM
For folks that prefer a compression lock, the Spyderco Para 3 Lightweight is coming out soon and it’s basically the same weight and similar cost as a Delica.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP223PBK/spyderco-para-3-lightweight-folding-knife-292-cts-bd1n-satin-plain-blade-black-frn-handles-paramilitary-3

I dislike the back-lock mechanism on the Delica. That's what keeps me from buying or recommending it. The compression lock is excellent.

RevolverRob
02-20-2019, 04:11 PM
My wife carries a Kershaw Scallion, same one she has carried everyday since 2008.

I've replaced, I dunno, four torsion springs, I think. I tune up the edge for her about once every 3 or 4 months. Usually while she's taking a bath, I clean, oil, and sharpen it (she loves when I do that, she once told a friend without any sarcasm that it was her favorite "romantic" thing that I do for her...). :eek:

She also carries an impact tool and pepper spray.

My good friend who runs a lot on the water front here in Chicago, carries a Utilihak (Hide-A-Way Knife), that I gave her. It's cord-wrapped up to fit her small(er) hands, and she carries it clipped to the waistband of her running shorts or if she's running with a water bottle, clipped to the cover the waterbottle. She likes it quite a bit and when I gave it to her we ran through several basic moves and drawstrokes.

Unfortunately, I haven't dealt with HAK since their very serious issues of delivering blades occurred. But one can order a Talon knife (https://www.amazon.com/Talon-Tactical-Survival-Defense-Knife/dp/B00DQC7JBC) for less than a HAK and frankly, you're dealing with a highly similar tool (though you may need to dehorn the little hook on the bottom).

You guys know I'm not a big "finger hole" knife fan, but in the case of the Talon/HAK I make my lone exception. The way in which the knives loop over two fingers and are held in the hand, it would be almost impossible for someone to strip them off of your hand (without that person getting cut the fuck up, at least), and deglove you. It is possible, but not as possible as a single hole knife. They also punch extremely well in the hand and the shape of the blades makes concealment a breeze.

Gun Mutt
02-20-2019, 04:13 PM
More observations from my life and all the wonderful, smart, funny, hardworking women that I've been blessed to share it with:

Women tend to light up at the sight and sound of knives and shut down when it's guns. They've all used knives for good things in their in their lives, food prep and consumption if nothing else. They've all (unfortunately) also had some macho asshole scare them with his gun handling and/or screw with them on the range, 'cause, you know, it's freakin hilarious to hurt or scare someone the first time they shoot a goddamn gun.

Knives by women for women are always received well, but not if they have to pay for them. They love the idea of HAK's and blanch when it comes to buying them. Which doesn't really matter that much to me as I've yet to convince a single woman to carry a fixed blade of any kind on a regular basis. Even my wife, who owns more than a couple of fixed blades, has never carried one for two days in a row; neck or garter sheath and for special occasions only.

Which leads to another reason I choose to give away Delicas: you won't go broke buying them and you can always find another use for one if they simply won't carry it. Don't give away large, expensive knives if it's gonna hurt your feelings to learn they're laying in a drawer. I've gifted exactly one woman a waved Emerson and I did so because she was my chosen sister and the kind of blue jeans and boots wearing bad ass that knew what an Emerson was, knew what they cost and was only too happy to carry and practice with it. We'd stand at opposite ends of the bar and do mirrored Kali/Escrima cuts, fast at first and slowing as we'd close in on each other, stopping just short of arm's reach. This was in Big Sky, MT, so an impromptu display like that earned her nothing but respect, hoots, hollers and gratuitous tips. Xuca's an RN in Utah now and tells me she always manages to have a scalpel on her for each and every shift.

If they're open to some basic instruction, repetitive X pattern figure eight cuts and fending with the off hand has gone over very well, IME. Putting on my armchair psycho hat, I think the enthusiasm I see for slashes over stabs is twofold: the first is the distance it happens at, they're less willing to close with their opponent. The second part goes to a woman's innate fear of receiving the slash vs being stabbed. They've all experienced internal pain, they're not as scared of that as they are of being maimed and scarred.

If/when they accept knives as potentially rape preventing, possibly life saving tools, the acceptance of firearms is well within reach. While I've not personally known a woman to carry a fixed blade, I can point to a few that do carry pistols (at least most of the time) and directly due to their time around me and my friends and their own willingness to start it all by carrying a knife.

BillSWPA
02-20-2019, 04:37 PM
My wife carries a Kershaw Scallion, same one she has carried everyday since 2008.

I've replaced, I dunno, four torsion springs, I think. I tune up the edge for her about once every 3 or 4 months. Usually while she's taking a bath, I clean, oil, and sharpen it (she loves when I do that, she once told a friend without any sarcasm that it was her favorite "romantic" thing that I do for her...). :eek:

She also carries an impact tool and pepper spray.

My good friend who runs a lot on the water front here in Chicago, carries a Utilihak (Hide-A-Way Knife), that I gave her. It's cord-wrapped up to fit her small(er) hands, and she carries it clipped to the waistband of her running shorts or if she's running with a water bottle, clipped to the cover the waterbottle. She likes it quite a bit and when I gave it to her we ran through several basic moves and drawstrokes.

Unfortunately, I haven't dealt with HAK since their very serious issues of delivering blades occurred. But one can order a Talon knife (https://www.amazon.com/Talon-Tactical-Survival-Defense-Knife/dp/B00DQC7JBC) for less than a HAK and frankly, you're dealing with a highly similar tool (though you may need to dehorn the little hook on the bottom).

You guys know I'm not a big "finger hole" knife fan, but in the case of the Talon/HAK I make my lone exception. The way in which the knives loop over two fingers and are held in the hand, it would be almost impossible for someone to strip them off of your hand (without that person getting cut the fuck up, at least), and deglove you. It is possible, but not as possible as a single hole knife. They also punch extremely well in the hand and the shape of the blades makes concealment a breeze.

My wife does not have the same enthusiasm for carrying a knife, but recognizes that when I do something to try to keep her safe, it shows her that I love her.

I was a member of SDF when the Hideaway knife was developed, so I was able to watch that process. One thing that designer really thought through quite well was the carry system. In my opinion a carry system that the user finds workable for her mode of dress and daily environment is more important than the design of the knife itself.

SeriousStudent
02-20-2019, 07:08 PM
My wife does not have the same enthusiasm for carrying a knife, but recognizes that when I do something to try to keep her safe, it shows her that I love her.

I was a member of SDF when the Hideaway knife was developed, so I was able to watch that process. One thing that designer really thought through quite well was the carry system. In my opinion a carry system that the user finds workable for her mode of dress and daily environment is more important than the design of the knife itself.

I still have a HAK, it has proven surprisingly useful.

Medusa
02-21-2019, 04:19 PM
I see the Delica has many blade choices. Serrated, combo, flat ground. Does it matter much ?

I like the Matriarch but lots of reviews say it’s not a good all around knife, but is instead good for one thing only. Given the Oregon statutory language concerning “ordinary pocket knife,” that’s a concern.

BillSWPA
02-21-2019, 04:36 PM
I see the Delica has many blade choices. Serrated, combo, flat ground. Does it matter much ?

I like the Matriarch but lots of reviews say it’s not a good all around knife, but is instead good for one thing only. Given the Oregon statutory language concerning “ordinary pocket knife,” that’s a concern.

A few different attempts to summarize knife laws simply break them down into whether fixed blades, folders, etc. are okay. At least 2 states prohibit knives designed or carried for fighting NY and OH). Just because a knife is a folder below a certain blade length does not mean it is okay to carry.

JHC
02-21-2019, 04:44 PM

I'm pretty high on Spyderco serrated blades for the utility as far as my use has gone. But I've heard both pro and con from seemingly smarter people than I on defensive applications.

There are some pretty solid blade people hear and I'd love to hear about the real story on serrated blades. Sharpening is no problem with a Syderco set of ceramic rods.

Wondering Beard
02-21-2019, 05:23 PM

The potential problem with serrated blades (and combo) is that the serrations can get caught in what you are trying to cut, slowing you down and making a sloppy cut; in other words, serrations don't make for good slicing whether for work or self defense. On the other hand, serrations enable one to still be able to cut when the knife would otherwise be dull. Frankly, non serrated edges are better all around. As to whether it should be flat ground, saber ground or hollow ground, with a Delica it makes no difference.

The blade geometry of the Matriarch (or other "off looking" blades like the Spyderco P'kal, or the CP etc..) make for a knife that is not really good at one thing: slicing, but they're just fine on everything else. Actually, I think that the Matriarch is a much better box opener than your regular Delica, better also at cutting seat belts, IMO.

Some months back, I wrote a small post about the utility of the Ban Tang Clinch Pick in the "folders and anything sharp" thread in the Gallery subforum, so as to show how practical those "different from the norm" blade geometries can be. Maybe you'll find something interesting in it (It starts on this page: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?28749-Folding-knives-(or-anything-sharp)-pic-thread/page45 and the discussion continues a bit in the next page).

If you like the Delica, you might want to look at the Para Military 3, also from Spyderco. It's about the same size as the Delica but with the different locking mechanism which is both stronger and easier to deploy.

My everyday utility folder is the P'kal, it cuts everything I need to cut and with a longer blade than the Delica, it can also slice things ok (like cheese or tomatoes) in spite of its concave edge, has a very strong and smooth locking system and when it comes to self defense use, it's pretty formidable.

JHC
02-21-2019, 05:36 PM
If I were ordering an economical small fixed blade right now, it might be this one. $58.00

https://www.amazon.com/CRKT-SIWI-Fixed-Blade-Knife/dp/B0768Q8ZTR/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1550684564&sr=8-1&keywords=CRKT+fixed+blade

Edit: Dang, I just did order it.

Exactly what I wanted. A short sharpened pry bar. That was cheapish

JHC
02-21-2019, 05:38 PM
BTW not that sharp out of the box but shaving bald patches on my arm in less than 5 min with Spyderco Tri-angle kit

Totem Polar
02-21-2019, 07:05 PM

I find the smaller matriarch to be great for stuff like opening packages and envelopes—which is about as handyman as I get. Now, the original civilian... that really is only good for one thing. As to grinds and serrations, Wondering Besrd has it right, IMHO. Any delica grind should suffice. On serrations, Mike Janich—who clearly knows which way is up on all of this—says that he favors plain edges for defense, because the serrated edges catch on clothing and spin it and bind, eg: pants/jeans on a leg. He demos all this stuff in class, btw. "Pork Man" (pork roast wrapped around 1" dowel with layers of saran wrap and then denim on top) is legendary viewing.

Clusterfrack
02-21-2019, 08:33 PM
There’s also a Wharncliffe Delica. That’s my favorite blade shape. Not sure if it works in this knife though.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WGQQJF6

Medusa
02-21-2019, 09:04 PM
I find the smaller matriarch to be great for stuff like opening packages and envelopes—which is about as handyman as I get. Now, the original civilian... that really is only good for one thing. As to grinds and serrations, Wondering Besrd has it right, IMHO. Any delica grind should suffice. On serrations, Mike Janich—who clearly knows which way is up on all of this—says that he favors plain edges for defense, because the serrated edges catch on clothing and spin it and bind, eg: pants/jeans on a leg. He demos all this stuff in class, btw. "Pork Man" (pork roast wrapped around 1" dowel with layers of saran wrap and then denim on top) is legendary viewing.

Like Paul Harrell, but with knives ? I’ll check it out. Thanks all for the info and resources, and please keep it coming. I’ll keep using the search too.

Medusa
02-21-2019, 09:07 PM
There’s also a Wharncliffe Delica. That’s my favorite blade shape. Not sure if it works in this knife though.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WGQQJF6

Saw that one. And I see lots of similar (to my neophyte eyes) aus8 blades for cheaper, like the Ontario rat 1 and 2. It’s hard to choose. I understand it doesn’t need to be one knife to rule them all, and I’m not looking to go down a rabbit hole or money pit.

Clusterfrack
02-21-2019, 09:15 PM
I couldn't find a Rat with a Wharncliffe blade shape (straight cutting edge), but I did find one with D2 tool steel, which I like quite a bit because of it's durability.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079KT7JCB/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_0O1BCbYYNP98D

When they're not carrying our fancy knives, my daughters and I use the Kershaw/Emerson CQC-5K. It's the best cheap knife I've found, and has a nice Emerson Wave too.
https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Black-Oxide-Wave-Shaped-Reversible-Pocketclip/dp/B00I0S1BFW/
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81qc3LSWn8L._SL1500_.jpg

Saw that one. And I see lots of similar (to my neophyte eyes) aus8 blades for cheaper, like the Ontario rat 1 and 2. It’s hard to choose. I understand it doesn’t need to be one knife to rule them all, and I’m not looking to go down a rabbit hole or money pit.

RevolverRob
02-21-2019, 10:05 PM
If I were picking out Delicas for anyone (myself included).

Plain edge, saber/sabre grind, VG10 steel

Why? Plain edge can do everything a serrated edge can do, plus be easier to sharpen. Sabre grinds are among the easiest to sharpen, because they don't really have a "microbevel" at the edge. VG10 steel, because it's a good medium-duty steel that is easy to sharpen and resharpen and it's generally very tough and stain resistant.

Pick your favorite color handle. Call it a day.

In my opinion, a knife is only as useful as it is sharp. If you can't get easily resharpen the dull knife, it's basically worthless. Some knives have sufficiently complicated blade shapes and/or edge geometries to make resharpening a pain in the ass. This is one reason why I like wharncliffes, drop points, and flat tantos for utility knives, they all work very well in those senses. For defensive or "pretty" knives, curves (I got recurves for days...yo) are amazing, but they sure are a bitch to sharpen well.

ETA: Big fan of the Kershaw-Emerson models. The 5 that CF shows is a good one, I also really like the CQC-4K - https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-6054BRNBLK-Black-Oxide-Reversible-Pocketclip/dp/B00I0S0US6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1550805174&sr=8-1&keywords=Kershaw+Emerson+CQC-4 and the CQC-7K - https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Pocketknife-High-Performance-Stonewashed-Stainless/dp/B00I0RQ0AO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1550805220&sr=8-1&keywords=Kershaw+Emerson+CQC-7k

BillSWPA
02-22-2019, 06:47 AM
It is hard to go wrong with a Delica. For a long time, the Waved Delica was my every day carry knife, and I still occasionally carry them. The Spyderco version of the wave is the most reliable I have seen, and the rocket bar lock is quite dependable.

My experience with Emerson was not good. I owned 3 of their folding knives. I managed to wear the liner locks on two of the three to the point that I could close the knives without pushing on the lock bar. In all fairness, Emerson repaired those knives for no more than the cost of shipping, but it was specifically my experience with Emerson that caused me to distrust liner locks. Also, if you get the Waved version, the wave is smaller and sharper. Not only was my Mini Commander unreliable, but I had holes in more than one pair of jeans after no more than 10 practice draws.

Cold Steel is also worth considering. They build a very good knife for what they cost, and they verify their claims with their “Proof” videos. If you like wave opening, the Storm Cloud is my current EDC knife. While not quite as reliable at waving open as Spyderco, it is more reliable than Emerson. If you don’t need or want a wave opening feature, the American Lawman is a solid choice. In a Delica size knife, the Khan is worth a look.

Give some serious thought to how you will carry the knife. A wave opening pocket clip knife is great until you don’t have a pocket. I have seen folders clipped in the “appendix” position of Yoga pants, which may or may not be comfortable.

JHC
02-22-2019, 07:15 AM
Are a lot of folks still using sharpening stones?

I've been using this so many years I've lost touch with any other way.

https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Tri-Angle-Sharpmaker-Sharpener-204MF/dp/B000Q9C4AE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1550837613&sr=8-1&keywords=spyderco+tri-angle+sharpmaker

With that kit I've easily sharpened straight or curved or serrated blades. Easily restored a shaving edge to a Cold Steel kukri.

Medusa
02-22-2019, 09:58 AM

I've been using this so many years I've lost touch with any other way.

https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Tri-Angle-Sharpmaker-Sharpener-204MF/dp/B000Q9C4AE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1550837613&sr=8-1&keywords=spyderco+tri-angle+sharpmaker

With that kit I've easily sharpened straight or curved or serrated blades. Easily restored a shaving edge to a Cold Steel kukri.

Another thing to learn.

archangel
02-22-2019, 10:00 AM
Another big +1 for the Delica.

I've been EDC'ing a delica of some sort since around 1992. I currently favor the waved model, but if one were not inclined to use the wave feature, then the standard Delica works just as well for a little less money.

Definitely straight edge. The serrated edge _can_ be sharpened, but it's much more of a pain to do so, and the serrations do tend to snag, cause jagged cuts, and make the knife more of a saw than a knife.

The flat ground model is a slicer. If one planned to use it as, say, a camping chef knife, slicing vegetables, etc, then the flat ground edge geometry would work better in that role. For general use, the standard saber ground version would be the better choice.

For an intro knife for kids, or other use where there is a higher risk of loss, the Byrd Meadowlark is a respectable alternative to the Delica, at half the cost.

Wondering Beard
02-22-2019, 10:40 AM

While I very much like my wharncliffe Delica, it isn't much of a stabber compared to the original geometry IMO and thus tends to stay in the kitchen rather than be on me. A good knife for work and self defense certainly needs to slice and cut well but it also needs to fit in your hand well so that you can stab with it (even if it's just to penetrate a box in order to slice it open). Something to think about :-)

RevolverRob
02-22-2019, 12:10 PM

DMT Diamond Hones and a double-sided strop loaded with 6,000grit and 12,000 grit respectively.

I'm all about that mirror shine, hair popping, scary, stupid sharpness.

I honed out the edge on my P'Kal to the point where if I look at it wrong, it tries to cut me. I'm almost to that point with my Clinch (China) Picks, but I've found the edge geometry a little thick to get it super stupid sharp. I should email Ban and see if he will do some regrinds for me. Make them a little thinner.

Also, I'm totally on board with the Sharpmaker. Where some people find reloading ammunition relaxing, me? I like sharpening knives. Lately, I've been sitting on the couch watching basketball and stropping knives. My wife says I look like a fucking lunatic doing that...but she likes the results for how sharp her knives are (including the kitchen knives).

JHC
02-22-2019, 12:17 PM
DMT Diamond Hones and a double-sided strop loaded with 6,000grit and 12,000 grit respectively.

I'm all about that mirror shine, hair popping, scary, stupid sharpness.

I honed out the edge on my P'Kal to the point where if I look at it wrong, it tries to cut me. I'm almost to that point with my Clinch (China) Picks, but I've found the edge geometry a little thick to get it super stupid sharp. I should email Ban and see if he will do some regrinds for me. Make them a little thinner.

Also, I'm totally on board with the Sharpmaker. Where some people find reloading ammunition relaxing, me? I like sharpening knives. Lately, I've been sitting on the couch watching basketball and stropping knives. My wife says I look like a fucking lunatic doing that...but she likes the results for how sharp her knives are (including the kitchen knives).

That is fookin' awesome! :D

You have mad skills. The longer I try and use a stone (from memory) the duller my knife gets. :O

As soon as I'm shaving hair off one of my limbs, I call it good. This sounds really sharp!

RevolverRob
02-22-2019, 12:36 PM
The longer I try and use a stone (from memory) the duller my knife gets. :O

I like the various angle aligners a lot. They really helped me figure out how to identify and maintain a good bevel. I also discovered that for me, it's much easier to keep the blade steady and move the stone across it than to try to free hand a blade across the stone.

I think that's why all of the "pro" systems (e.g., Wicked Edge, EdgePro, KME, etc.) all use a clamp to hold the blade and stones that move across it.

Stropping of course you do blade in hand, but since you're dragging the flat of the blade towards the edge, it's easier to maintain the angle.

As soon as I'm shaving hair off one of my limbs, I call it good. This sounds really sharp!

Really, that's all you need. I just like it when you can almost feel an "aura" coming off a knife, because its so sharp. I suspect that before I was an OCD Quartermaster in a past life, I was some kind of sharp instrument maker - because I really like sharp things.

Rex G
02-22-2019, 05:01 PM
I notice my wife still toting her Emerson LaGriffe, at least some of the time. I’ll have to ask what else she uses.

I ordered two Eickhorn 8” Boar Hunters, because I figured that if I ordered only one, she would want it, anyway. Sure ‘nuff, she claimed one of them. (Such large blades are now legal in Texas, though “location-restricted.”

JHC
02-22-2019, 05:12 PM
This was my wife's fitness walking knife for a spell. Super light. From our sparring . . . Her hand speed . . . Cut me to ribbons ( simulated ). Cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Fixed-Knife-Sheath-2010/dp/B000M3SYR6/ref=asc_df_B000M3SYR6/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312154679201&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5614586429227908296&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010777&hvtargid=pla-477065374061&psc=1

Totem Polar
02-22-2019, 05:17 PM
This was my wife's fitness walking knife for a spell. Super light. From our sparring . . . Her hand speed . . . Cut me to ribbons ( simulated ). Cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Fixed-Knife-Sheath-2010/dp/B000M3SYR6/ref=asc_df_B000M3SYR6/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312154679201&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5614586429227908296&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010777&hvtargid=pla-477065374061&psc=1

Excellent. Check this too...

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?35164-The-last-production-collab-between-CRKT-Crawford-Kasper-(dragon)-23-bucks-on-sale

Navin Johnson
02-22-2019, 05:18 PM
Belly on the sharp side negates ability to slash.

Handle Is far more important than blade.

Choils work like serrations and they snag....no bueno....if your finner is in the choil it is much easier to wack.

Lock-Backs stay closed IWB etc. Liner, frame and compression locks and flippers might....

Grasp your knife as you might in an emergency.... release the lock and push the blade closed with moderate force.....you will understand why the Delica/Endura are ideal for emergency use......most lock failures on quality knives are debris related ....or didn't open all the way do to circumstances....

Hang two or three layers of different types of cloth together and slash.....only fresh sharpened serrations will work and not as well as PE.

Delica sized knives don't scare sheeple as much and have enough handle.

Warncliff are best and stab fine ....standard blade is fine also.

Delica will cut a quad to the Bone and L cuts below the ribs will expose anyone's eating habits.

Blade on Delica is 2 7/8 so legal in most places.

They come in pretty colors😉

BillSWPA
02-22-2019, 05:26 PM
I notice my wife still toting her Emerson LaGriffe, at least some of the time. I’ll have to ask what else she uses.

I ordered two Eickhorn 8” Boar Hunters, because I figured that if I ordered only one, she would want it, anyway. Sure ‘nuff, she claimed one of them. (Such large blades are now legal in Texas, though “location-restricted.”

More importantly, how is she carrying this or other knives?

BillSWPA
02-22-2019, 05:26 PM

How did she carry it?

JHC
02-22-2019, 05:35 PM
How did she carry it?

Slipped into a fanny pack (worn in front) in it's plastic sheath.

JHC
02-22-2019, 05:39 PM
Belly on the sharp side negates ability to slash.

Handle Is far more important than blade.

Choils work like serrations and they snag....no bueno....if your finner is in the choil it is much easier to wack.

Lock-Backs stay closed IWB etc. Liner, frame and compression locks and flippers might....

Grasp your knife as you might in an emergency.... release the lock and push the blade closed with moderate force.....you will understand why the Delica/Endura are ideal for emergency use......most lock failures on quality knives are debris related ....or didn't open all the way do to circumstances....

Hang two or three layers of different types of cloth together and slash.....only fresh sharpened serrations will work and not as well as PE.

Delica sized knives don't scare sheeple as much and have enough handle.

Warncliff are best and stab fine ....standard blade is fine also.

Delica will cut a quad to the Bone and L cuts below the ribs will expose anyone's eating habits.

Blade on Delica is 2 7/8 so legal in most places.

They come in pretty colors😉

Why does something about this post scream you've done this before. 😋

Thx, a lot to unwrap there.

Rex G
02-22-2019, 06:14 PM
More importantly, how is she carrying this or other knives?

LaGriffe, neck carry.

blues
02-22-2019, 06:18 PM
LaGriffe, neck carry.

I have a few from Fred Perrin...the originator of La Griffe.

This one he took off his neck in Paris and handed to me. He calls it a "Tribal Griffe" and it is unusual in that it is a forged "v" edge unlike most of his others.
It was his personal carry.

jws
02-22-2019, 06:32 PM
I like the various angle aligners a lot....

I am attempting to learn how to sharpen with a stone and I am thinking about trying a set of angle aligners. Would you be willing to share what some of the better options are?

RevolverRob
02-22-2019, 06:54 PM
I am attempting to learn how to sharpen with a stone and I am thinking about trying a set of angle aligners. Would you be willing to share what some of the better options are?

I use a DMT Aligner - https://www.amazon.com/DMT-ABG-Aligner-Blade-Guide/dp/B00004WFUR

But these might prove useful as well - https://www.amazon.com/Wedgek-Angle-Guides-Sharpening-Knife/dp/B01N4QMO7U/ref=pd_bxgy_469_3/133-0391159-4291209?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01N4QMO7U&pd_rd_r=d51c49d9-36fc-11e9-bbb6-010903285c78&pd_rd_w=GfPDy&pd_rd_wg=S0w18&pf_rd_p=6725dbd6-9917-451d-beba-16af7874e407&pf_rd_r=AM487Q1HGDNAPFEFYFPP&refRID=AM487Q1HGDNAPFEFYFPP&th=1

jws
02-22-2019, 06:57 PM
I use a DMT Aligner - https://www.amazon.com/DMT-ABG-Aligner-Blade-Guide/dp/B00004WFUR

But these might prove useful as well - https://www.amazon.com/Wedgek-Angle-Guides-Sharpening-Knife/dp/B01N4QMO7U/ref=pd_bxgy_469_3/133-0391159-4291209?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01N4QMO7U&pd_rd_r=d51c49d9-36fc-11e9-bbb6-010903285c78&pd_rd_w=GfPDy&pd_rd_wg=S0w18&pf_rd_p=6725dbd6-9917-451d-beba-16af7874e407&pf_rd_r=AM487Q1HGDNAPFEFYFPP&refRID=AM487Q1HGDNAPFEFYFPP&th=1

Thanks! I think I’ll give the DMT Aligner a try, it looks like it would work well.

Medusa
02-25-2019, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the advice here. After a great deal of back and forth and thinking, referring back here often, I decided on the non Emerson, plain edge Delica for us both...our jean / denim skirt pockets aren’t great for a knife. I couldn’t find a pink handle for mine, but purple ain’t bad:D. She wanted hers in black.

runcible
02-26-2019, 05:42 AM
It's a bit of a digression, but from time to time I think about picking up some discounted Wharncliffe Delicas and Plain-Edged Matriarchs, and relieving the engagement surface at the aft of the blade to a new angle of engagement, so that the tips are more in-line with the run of the handle; they'd be a bit more apt for FGEI\RGEI that way. While the Spyderco P'kal is still my go-to stash knife, and I've bought a modest number of them over the years; Delicas and Matriarchs are a little easier to source in the volumes required to outfit the others in my life with such a need.

ETA: Spydercos have done well in general for me, being carried open in sheaths, and are reasonably comfortable clipped AIWB though the extra blade material for the Spyderhole can occasionally be borderline; but oof Emersons are very thick and angular to wear in the same manner.

archangel
02-26-2019, 10:19 AM
and relieving the engagement surface at the aft of the blade to a new angle of engagement, so that the tips are more in-line with the run of the handle

I don't think that would work, unless you also do some welding. There are two engagement surfaces on the blade - essentially a notch that the lock fits in. You could relieve the one surface, but you'd need to add material onto the other.

RevolverRob
02-26-2019, 12:21 PM
Guys - the Kahr Delica is the way to go if you want a wharncliffe-esque blade - https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C11KAKH/Spyderco-KAHR-ARMS-Delica-4-Khaki/941

I have one in my pocket right now, here are pics in hand in effectively all four grips.

Gun Mutt
02-26-2019, 04:07 PM
Guys - the Kahr Delica is the way to go if you want a wharncliffe-esque blade - https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C11KAKH/Spyderco-KAHR-ARMS-Delica-4-Khaki/941

I like that a whole lot, must have one. Been meaning to go back to a Delica myself (current edc is a Salt Endura) and that Kahr looks perfect for the role.

I'm joining some friends at Blade Show this year, mebbe I can get a pic of Michael Janich presenting it to me.

JHC
02-26-2019, 06:43 PM
I like that a whole lot, must have one. Been meaning to go back to a Delica myself (current edc is a Salt Endura) and that Kahr looks perfect for the role.

I'm joining some friends at Blade Show this year, mebbe I can get a pic of Michael Janich presenting it to me.

I missed the last 2 blade shows. Gonna get there or bust this year!

Gun Mutt
02-27-2019, 09:12 AM

Never been, but I have friends, both vendors and visitors that go every year...excited to finally join them. We should definitely make time to grab a cerveza at the very least.

Rex G
02-27-2019, 09:55 AM

Same here. I went to Blade in 2016, if I am remembering correctly, with my nephew, and that was after not having been since about 2007, when I brought my son with me.

One problem is that my wife volunteers at an event in Houston, which usually seems to be held the same weekend as Blade. I hope that I made it sufficiently clear, last year, that Blade was going to be my priority in 2019. I keep hoping that I can convince my wife that she likes knives more than “storm awareness” conferences. (She actually really does like knives.)

The Blade Shows I really liked were about 2004 and 2005, when Shivworks and the first version of Karambit.com were getting started.

BobLoblaw
02-27-2019, 07:36 PM

Curious as to why compression locks are lumped in with liner and frame locks since compression locks sit under the stop pin so that force against the cutting edge doesn’t rely on the lock as with liner and frame locks. Additionally, if I squeeze my opened Delica hard enough the lock begins to disengage whereas part of the frame covers compression lock tabs making that very difficult to accomplish. Maybe I’m not as knowledgeable in this field but I just haven’t heard many instances of compression locks opening during hard use. I own knives with all of the common lock types so it’s something I’d like to know.

Navin Johnson
02-27-2019, 08:05 PM
Curious as to why compression locks are lumped in with liner and frame locks since compression locks sit under the stop pin so that force against the cutting edge doesn’t rely on the lock as with liner and frame locks. Additionally, if I squeeze my opened Delica hard enough the lock begins to disengage whereas part of the frame covers compression lock tabs making that very difficult to accomplish. Maybe I’m not as knowledgeable in this field but I just haven’t heard many instances of compression locks opening during hard use. I own knives with all of the common lock types so it’s something I’d like to know.

Compression lock knives stay closed with a detent on the lock bar that falls into a well on the side of the tang.

I have some with moderate tension and some with minimal. MY concern is the blade not opening while IWB. A sharp bump can overcome the detent and then the blade is free. Lock backs even if blade is partially opened will spring back closed. I have had detent knives open upon falling and once bumping a door jam.

I read of a guy who compression locks partially release because of the way he held them and the fatness of his hand......Yes if I squeeze hard enough I can get a Delica lock to partially release...... Nothing beats a fixed blade for use.....

BobLoblaw
02-27-2019, 08:07 PM
Compression lock knives stay closed with a detent on the lock bar that falls into a well on the side of the tang.

I have some with moderate tension and some with minimal. MY concern is the blade not opening while IWB. A sharp bump can overcome the detent and then the blade is free. Lock backs even if blade is partially opened will spring back closed. I have had detent knives open upon falling and once bumping a door jam.

I read of a guy who compression locks partially release because of the way he held them and the fatness of his hand......Yes if I squeeze hard enough I can get a Delica lock to partially release...... Nothing beats a fixed blade for use.....

Makes sense. Thanks

ETA: Totally skipped over the IWB part. I was thinking of the lock mechanism opening vs. the blade opening.