PDA

View Full Version : Look out for the 10 mm casings

Glenn E. Meyer
02-17-2019, 02:11 PM
Just an ouch. At yesterday's match, one of our group was shooting a booming 10mm 1911 pattern. It threw its brass into the next county.

The stage has one target straight in front of you and you fire 6 shots at hit. We have standing about 15 feet back. My friend opens fire. He is very quick. A barrage of casings pummels the spectators. I instinctively throw up my hands and one whacks me quite hard on the finger. A real ouch. Much consternation as folks had them bounce off heads, etc.

Shot my 327 Mag J frame revolver - was fun. Reloads are slow, accuracy and hits pretty good. I won revolver, coming in first and last, if you get my drift. Revolvers are so passe.

After the 10 mm incoming, someone commented, amusingly, Hey - how come that gun isn't throwing rounds.

I said it was new invention that held your rounds in place, you can empty them into your hand and put them your pocket. No crawling in the mud for casings to reload.

SoCalDep
02-18-2019, 12:29 AM
Back in the day I bought a 10mm EAA Witness... it was way undersprung, even with the highest weight Wolff recoil spring. I think the casings were only slightly less deadly than the bullets! I miss that thing. I won a couple Glocks at GSSF matches and one of them HAD to be a G20... it has a Wolff guide rod and heavy recoil spring. I very rarely shoot it but I love it!

Trigger
02-18-2019, 08:39 AM
Use a square firing pin stop to slow down the slide on high power calibers like 45Super, 10mm and 9x23. Works better that a heavy recoil spring alone.

JodyH
02-18-2019, 08:53 AM
My Coonan .357 throws the casings so far that H&K G3's are jealous.
What's really bad is not only do they eject with force, they get really, really hot when they re-enter the atmosphere.

ASH556
02-18-2019, 10:50 AM
Paging karmapolice : How'd that story go about the guy who wondered if his revolver had fired because it hadn't spit any cases out and there was still brass in the cylinder.

awp_101
02-18-2019, 11:21 AM
Paging karmapolice : How'd that story go about the guy who wondered if his revolver had fired because it hadn't spit any cases out and there was still brass in the cylinder.

WTAF...:confused:

awp_101
02-18-2019, 11:25 AM
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4390/36598534675_3c1e8dbcff_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/XL64hx)

JodyH
02-18-2019, 11:27 AM
I had to read that post twice because I just couldn't comprehend the idiocy in the first reading.
I had to actually concentrate and think about it for a second.

1986s4
02-18-2019, 12:23 PM
Use a square firing pin stop to slow down the slide on high power calibers like 45Super, 10mm and 9x23. Works better that a heavy recoil spring alone.

I've read a lot about the benefits of the square bottom FPS, it seems it was in the original 1911 as Browning designed it? Any benefit to a .38 super that doesn't use major PF loads? My loads are 124gr. moving just over 1100fps.

Sorry for any thread drift.

karmapolice
02-18-2019, 03:05 PM

Yes true story in a citizens firearms class put on by my agency. Guy goes up to line with the revolver had been shooting a semi auto and possibly the revolver before, either way he goes up fires 6 rounds, he then pauses (there are holes in the paper now too) looks around people are still firing and begins to aim in and press the trigger again.At first I was like okay people haven't finished the string of fire and he wants to get some dry presses in cool. He then looks more confused and does some more trigger presses aimed in at the target. After the string was done he raises his hand and I go up to him and he ask "how do I know it fired? no shells came out", with a second to catch myself and asked well did you feel the recoil the first time you fired etc and he is likes yes and explained that a revolver does not eject the casings while firing. He owned this revolver and brought it to the class so yeah...( best I can remember the story, I just was smiling on the outside.)

Trigger
02-18-2019, 07:27 PM
I've read a lot about the benefits of the square bottom FPS, it seems it was in the original 1911 as Browning designed it? Any benefit to a .38 super that doesn't use major PF loads? My loads are 124gr. moving just over 1100fps.

Sorry for any thread drift.

For your pistol, I would let the slide behavior and the distance the empties fly be your guide. If the slide closes back into battery with a strong ka-chunk that causes your front sight to dip, you might try a lighter recoil spring. If, after this change, your spent brass is flying too far (maybe over 9 feet) then consider a stronger mainspring (hammer spring) and or a square firing pin stop. A stronger mainspring will change your trigger feel a bit, as the sear will not release the hammer the same, since there is more spring on the hammer.

BL, a good 1911 smith is a godsend here.

I doubt your .38 super at 124/1100 needs a square FPS. I use one in my 9x23, but it goes 1525fps with 125gr WWBox. Significantly hotter. I had my smith build it from a .38 super pistol, and he installed the square FPS. Fun to shoot, really flat cycling. Haven’t shot it in a while.

1986s4
02-19-2019, 08:44 AM
For your pistol, I would let the slide behavior and the distance the empties fly be your guide. If the slide closes back into battery with a strong ka-chunk that causes your front sight to dip, you might try a lighter recoil spring. If, after this change, your spent brass is flying too far (maybe over 9 feet) then consider a stronger mainspring (hammer spring) and or a square firing pin stop. A stronger mainspring will change your trigger feel a bit, as the sear will not release the hammer the same, since there is more spring on the hammer.

BL, a good 1911 smith is a godsend here.

I doubt your .38 super at 124/1100 needs a square FPS. I use one in my 9x23, but it goes 1525fps with 125gr WWBox. Significantly hotter. I had my smith build it from a .38 super pistol, and he installed the square FPS. Fun to shoot, really flat cycling. Haven’t shot it in a while.

Thank you Sir, as I suspected, not necessary for my uses. I load and spring for reliability based on several 2000 round tests. Presently using a 15# Wilson flatwire and stock Colt main spring. It also has a Wilson buffer which has not affected reliability. My empties land about 5-6' to the right in a consistent area but, I have noticed variations based on the magazine used.
Regards,
1986s4

revchuck38
02-19-2019, 09:16 AM
Just an ouch. At yesterday's match, one of our group was shooting a booming 10mm 1911 pattern. It threw its brass into the next county.

The stage has one target straight in front of you and you fire 6 shots at hit. We have standing about 15 feet back. My friend opens fire. He is very quick. A barrage of casings pummels the spectators. I instinctively throw up my hands and one whacks me quite hard on the finger. A real ouch. Much consternation as folks had them bounce off heads, etc.

I took a class with Karl Rehn (https://krtraining.com/KRTraining/Classes/defensivepistolskillsthree.html) the weekend before last which included shooting from seated in a chair. I was using my PX4 with my handloads (124 FMJs at ~1130 fps) and the guy about 5-6' to my right was fussing good-naturedly about not being able to concentrate due to being pelted with my brass.

echo5charlie
02-19-2019, 01:39 PM
Last night I had my G29.4 and G42 at the indoor range. Started with the G29.4 and casings were ricocheting all over my booth, including down my back. Anyway, it was a fun time especially with full-house 10mm loads.

I ended the outing with the G42. Once I got over the lack of recoil, I started mag dumping into a 4" circle at 5 yards. Night and day, night and day......and I had more fun with the G42!

Glenn E. Meyer
02-19-2019, 03:50 PM
Had a 50 AE casing bounce off my forehead at an indoor range when I was watching a guy shoot it. That hurt also.

echo5charlie
02-19-2019, 04:24 PM
Had a 50 AE casing bounce off my forehead at an indoor range when I was watching a guy shoot it. That hurt also.

It's worse when you clock yourself with one!