PDA

View Full Version : No pistol for 7 months: how to bunce back?

theblacknight
03-14-2012, 05:49 AM
For those who have deployed and or/ been with out a pistol to even dry fire with, how do you/what's the best way to regain what you lost? I planned on shooting some of the bigger IDPA's in NC later this year, but might just end up watching for the weekend and saving the match fee's for more ammo.

JHC
03-14-2012, 07:53 AM
I suggest starting with precision shooting on 3x5 cards at any distance and working out to 25 yard bullseye to get the trigger press fundamentals back. And get some snap caps for working to get the reloads smooth again. My $0.02.

orionz06
03-14-2012, 08:16 AM
I would work on a lot of dry draws and dry fire before spending too much time on the range. I would then incorporate a lot of ball and dummy and dry fire in between live fire.

/random internet opinion from a random guy

Al T.
03-14-2012, 08:26 AM
When I got back, I took a class. Three day handgun and carbine course got me up and running just fine. :)

Otherwise, what JHC said.

ToddG
03-15-2012, 09:38 AM
I do think taking a class, particularly a class geared toward beginners that deals with fundamentals, would be ideal. I did something similar years ago the first time I used a laser on my pistol and going through all the motions, getting feedback as if I was brand new -- which I was, in a sense -- all helped tremendously.

Otherwise, I'd probably head to the range and set a baseline of some sort. Run as many standards as you've got time for (Hack, FAST, Dot Torture, bullseye, etc.) and then crunch the data. What still works? What is rusty? What sucks? From there, make a plan and start getting yourself back to where you want to be.

JodyH
03-15-2012, 11:58 AM
How you should approach getting back up to speed is dependent upon what speed you were at to start with.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Failure2Stop
03-21-2012, 09:47 PM
I lost almost 2 years on pistol due to work-up and a 9-month deployment.
Getting back in is just like getting in initially, which is just like getting better...
fundamentals, and the discipline to work back to proficiency.

Anyway, you've got my number.

98z28
03-22-2012, 10:15 AM
Talk about a blessing in disguise! How many times have you thought, "If I could only go back in time and know then what I know now..." Well, now you can!

I recently took over eight months off and hoped I could jump right back in. Very wrong. Starting from scratch is the way to go, at least for me. YMMV.

This thread may be helpful if you haven't seen it...

ToddG for Beginners (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?3592-ToddG-for-Beginners)

theblacknight
03-24-2012, 02:06 PM
I lost almost 2 years on pistol due to work-up and a 9-month deployment.
Getting back in is just like getting in initially, which is just like getting better...
fundamentals, and the discipline to work back to proficiency.

Anyway, you've got my number.

already cleared hot with higher(wife) for a class.

jslaker
03-24-2012, 04:12 PM
I'm in a similar boat right now myself. I started a new job a little over 6 months ago that just didn't leave any time for getting to the range between training, changing shifts, and overtime. Things have settled down now to the point that I'm able to commit myself to getting to the range at least twice a week. I'm making habit of at least once on the weekends and again before work during the week. I'm working second shift now, so I can go in the morning when the range is completely empty, then scoot the mile from the range to my job. It's highly convenient. :D

I've got a ton of dot torture targets and the 2" circle targets Todd posted a while back printed out and stuffed in my range bag. I've been pretty much exclusively working those at 3-5 yards the past few weeks, working on building my fundamentals back up.

People may look at me funny for working at such a close range, but to me it's far less silly than the people I watch in the bays next to me running a 14" group at 7 yards and then immediately run the target back to 15 yards.

ETA:

The targets I mentioned are in this thread:

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2124-Printable-Targets&highlight=printable+targets

Also should note that I've just been using the Dot Torture targets as targets rather than shooting the drill at the moment. There are more circles per sheet than the 2" targets and I don't have to tack up new targets as often with them. Laziness prevails. ;)

CDR_Glock
03-25-2012, 11:15 AM
For those who have deployed and or/ been with out a pistol to even dry fire with, how do you/what's the best way to regain what you lost? I planned on shooting some of the bigger IDPA's in NC later this year, but might just end up watching for the weekend and saving the match fee's for more ammo.

Why not practice dry firing with the M9 Double action trigger?

iPad/Tapatalk

Al T.
03-25-2012, 12:08 PM
Very few folks get M9s.

cjs
03-25-2012, 04:59 PM
I suggest starting with precision shooting on 3x5 cards at any distance and working out to 25 yard bullseye to get the trigger press fundamentals back. And get some snap caps for working to get the reloads smooth again. My $0.02.

I spent the winter shooting indoor .22 bullseye and just got back from my first class of the season yesterday. I was amazed at how much more accurate I was during the class. I shoot the bullseye course with a couple of the instructors, and even then, they kept commenting on how well I was shooting (and ended up pushing up my speed as a result). So dry practice and even shooting target .22's had a HUGE impact for me.

LittleLebowski
03-25-2012, 08:15 PM

Work on your rapid fire by having someone blow a bosun's pipe near your ear. Your murderous rage will help your perform.

theblacknight
03-26-2012, 03:45 PM
Work on your rapid fire by having someone blow a bosun's pipe near your ear. Your murderous rage will help your perform.

Had to youtube as I've never been afloat or to fleet week. Kinda makes you want to strangle someone with a fourragère.

No issued pistol.

Have a markII,will def be taking it to the range.

Thanks guys.

jslaker
03-31-2012, 06:33 PM
The close-in work is already paying off. 2 weeks ago I was thowing shots all over the paper at dot targets at 3yds, today I was keeping most of my shots in 2" circle targets at 5-6 and finished off the session with 10 to a 3x5 at 7yds.

Dropped two of those shots by about an inch, but it feels great to finally be getting back into the groove of things after having had my shooting degrade so badly due to the time off.

And now I need to order more ammo. This is a problem I like having. :D