PDA

View Full Version : Increasing DCAEK trigger pull weight

YVK
03-13-2012, 10:50 PM
Just got my slide from Apex with installed USB, and completed the installation of the remainder of a kit. I assume I have a large sear plunger, as I needed to use a larger of two springs; the plunger itself measures about 3 mm in a diameter.

My weight pull measurement is estimated under 5 lbs. I don't have a scale, this is done by hanging weights to a trigger, but I am pretty sure this is reasonably accurate, and it feels too light. I'd like trigger pull a bit heavier.

Is MA-compliant TRS my only option? If yes,

- where do I get one?
- what does it do to a pull and reset characteristics?
- do I need to modify a trigger bar at all to connect that spring ?

Thanks.

MEH
03-14-2012, 06:15 AM
Couple of ways to get MA trigger springs for the M&P. You can contact gun folks in MA (Mike LaRocca has been a source for me in the past). You can order a MA trigger assembly (it comes with the MA trigger springs - SSS is a source). I have the Apex sear in mine with a MA TRS and it's about 6.5#.

You MAY have to trim the plastic housing where the left side of the spring MAY touch. I had to, others did not. I have a spare trimmed assembly with MA TRS if you want it just PM an address.

JV_
03-14-2012, 06:49 AM
Is MA-compliant TRS my only option? If yesI don't know if it's the only option, it's certainly the easiest. I prefer the MA spring, over the Apex, because (IME) it has a longer life.

Savage Hands
03-14-2012, 07:49 AM
That certainly is the easiest option.

YVK
03-15-2012, 12:40 AM
Beastfrog, thanks for offer, and thanks for advice, everybody. Since I'll need to pick a few spare parts, I"ll go SSS route.

YVK
03-15-2012, 06:56 PM
So I have a Mass-compliant trigger bar assembly coming, but I also saw a Mass-compliant sear plunger spring and ordered it too. Assuming that Mass sear plunger spring is heavier than Apex version, what what would replacing it do to trigger pull weight, reset etc vs. replacing the trs?

jar
03-15-2012, 07:15 PM
Hopefully someone who remembers the details will correct me if I'm off base here, but as I remember it:
Originally the free state guns had a smaller sear spring than the MA ones. So standard was one size, and MA was the bigger one. At some point, S&W made the MA size the standard. So, the MA sear spring you ordered is either a duplicate of the factory spring, or it won't fit.

Which size does your gun have? Apex' spring kits all include both sizes, which one did you use?

YVK
03-15-2012, 07:28 PM
I have a large sear plunger, 1/8 inch dia. The gun is dated Nov. 2011. So, seems like you're suggesting that the stock sear plunger spring on my gun is already MA-compliant? I wonder if anybody knows which spring is what in terms of respective poundage. Apex website implies that their sear plunger spring is heavier than stock.

pointfiveoh
03-22-2012, 10:57 AM
I bought my M&P with a DCAEK/RAM already in it. I want to get a few spare parts to have on hand when things start breaking. Does adding the MA trigger assembly throw off anything with the DCAEK besides using a different trigger return spring? I don't mind a slightly heavier trigger pull as long as it is equally smooth and doesn't stack up at the break.

MEH
03-22-2012, 02:13 PM
I bought my M&P with a DCAEK/RAM already in it. I want to get a few spare parts to have on hand when things start breaking. Does adding the MA trigger assembly throw off anything with the DCAEK besides using a different trigger return spring? I don't mind a slightly heavier trigger pull as long as it is equally smooth and doesn't stack up at the break.

Should work just fine.