PDA

View Full Version : FRI: Aberdeen Proving Ground

okie john
02-09-2019, 09:26 PM
Looks like I might be headed to APG for a week or so in August. What should I plan to see/avoid?

thanks,

Okie John

DamonL
02-10-2019, 12:53 AM
They have the Ordnance Museum on base, but it is in the process of moving so I don't know if it is open anymore.

Baltimore is a short drive away, so you might want to visit there on the weekend. They have Ft. McHenry and the Inner Harbor. The Baltimore Aquarium and Science museum are near the Inner Harbor. If I remember correctly, I think Obrycki's has good crab cakes and they are located in Fell's Point. Faidley's in Lexington Market has a good crab cake, too. The B&O train museum is interesting also.

trailrunner
02-10-2019, 07:42 AM
The ordnance museum moved to Fort Lee (about 200 miles south of Aberdeen) a couple of years ago. The last time I was at APG there was nothing left to see.

If you have free time or if you'll be there on the weekend, Gettysburg and Sharpsburg/Antietam battlefields are about 90 minutes away, if you're into civil war battlefields.

DC is close enough that you could get down there one evening and walk around the mall. You could take a MARC train down there - there's a station at Aberdeen that will take you to Union Station. Or take a chance with traffic.

Annapolis isn't too far away. You could probably get down there for an evening.

Amish country in PA isn't too far away.

APG is on the water. Try to find a restaurant on the bay and enjoy some Maryland crab cakes.