PDA

View Full Version : Help me spend my GSSF coupon

gtae07
01-30-2019, 07:29 AM
I have a coupon from this past year and can't decide what to spend it on. The leading candidates are a 19.5 MOS or a 26.5. I thought about picking up a large caliber (e.g. G20) just for the heck of it, but a coworker has a 20.2 he's willing to sell me so I don't need to worry about that.

Wife spent her free pistol certificate on a 34.5MOS already so that box is checked.

I know someone is going to suggest a 43X or 48; that's what my wife plans to do with hers and I don't see a need for two of them right now. I already have a "regular" G43 and I'm quite happy with it. I also have no interest in a 19X or 45 as I have a 17.4 already.

JonInWA
01-30-2019, 08:30 AM
I'd get a Gen5 G17; use one for training and competition primarily and the other for carry.

Best, Jon

ASH556
01-30-2019, 08:52 AM
G45 \= G17.4

gtae07
01-30-2019, 08:56 AM
I'm carrying a 19.4 right now. I lniw a 45 and 17.4 aren't the same but I don't need the extra grip length.
What I should have said is I have no interest in a "crossover" model.

ASH556
01-30-2019, 09:00 AM
19.5 MOS then.

fatdog
01-30-2019, 09:44 AM
I'd get a Gen5 G17; use one for training and competition primarily and the other for carry. Best, Jon

This has been a beneficial paradigm for me. My primary carry gun, always clean, always loaded, and ready to head out the door, my absolutely 100% identical practice/game/recreational gun, rarely cleaned (and I don't care), but always ready for the day and time a range trip opportunity presents itself.

Gumbo
01-30-2019, 12:03 PM
I'm in a similar situation as you and I'm currently leaning toward the 19.5 MOS. I was one of the people who hated the cut out on the early 19.5 so I decided to wait, now I'm looking at the MOS only because the they filled that cut out. It will be quite a while before I put an optic on it (if ever), and I really like the bold sights, but I have a feeling that overhanging rear sight won't help my OCD. Therefore, the MOS really doesn't seem that appealing, but it's the closest thing I can currently pick up to what I want. Part of me says to just get the 26.5 but my 26.4 works pretty well for me...

RevolverRob
01-30-2019, 12:05 PM
Trade the coupons, buy 1911s

19.5 or 17.5 would be my vote. Assuming you already have a G43 or G42.

BillSWPA
01-30-2019, 02:35 PM
I didn’t see a G26 on the list of what you already own, so that is my suggestion. It is only a little thicker than the 43 and provides 4 more rounds of capacity. It is small enough to hide in most temperatures and dress codes, and big enough that you are unlikely to wish for something bigger if you need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steve
01-30-2019, 02:36 PM
26.5 is the way to go. What he said above.

Port
01-30-2019, 02:45 PM

Just cuz.

nwhpfan
01-30-2019, 02:49 PM
GSSF certs are to get Glocks you need to compete in GSSF divisons so you can win more certs...

So look for guns that fit Heavy Metal, Subcompact, major sub, etc.

gtae07
01-30-2019, 04:34 PM
GSSF certs are to get Glocks you need to compete in GSSF divisons so you can win more certs...

So look for guns that fit Heavy Metal, Subcompact, major sub, etc.

:D

That was basically the idea behind buying my coworker's G20. But that's more a target of opportunity thing; I'm still working on the "business before pleasure" approach. Trying to see if there are missing serious/defensive roles to fill first.

Trade the coupons, buy 1911s
I'd like a 1911 one day, but just as a range toy.

19.5 or 17.5 would be my vote. Assuming you already have a G43 or G42.
We already have both; if I got the 19.5 it would become the new carry gun (eventually with optic one day?) and the 19.4 would be for training and competition. Thinking of the 17 as the nightstand gun, maybe.

I didn’t see a G26 on the list of what you already own, so that is my suggestion. It is only a little thicker than the 43 and provides 4 more rounds of capacity. It is small enough to hide in most temperatures and dress codes, and big enough that you are unlikely to wish for something bigger if you need it.
I like the idea of a 26 to complete the set, as it were... but I don't really see it filling a real need (that is, I can't think of many cases where I couldn't adequately conceal a 19 but I could with the 26). The 43 fills the role for me. I'd still like to get one eventually. I just don't know if another 19 or the 26 should be first.

Casual Friday
01-30-2019, 04:56 PM
Something something...if a Glock 17 or 19 is an option...something something...it's probably the answer something something...

Duelist
01-30-2019, 10:12 PM
I don’t know what to tell you. I don’t have a 43 because I found the 26 to be more pleasant to shoot, not significantly heavier, and neglibly thicker. My 26.3 carries great, the butt doesn’t stick out, it carries plenty of ammo, and a 15 or 17 round spare magazine works perfectly. We also have a couple of 42s because my wife will actually shoot and carry one, I didn’t want to stock two types of non-standard Glock magazines, and they are a lot lighter than the 26. If I’m going smaller than the 26, I want it to actually be smaller.

Anyway. If I had the cash to spend on a couple of Glocks today, I’d get a 26.5 and a 19X. Make of that what you will.

BillSWPA
01-31-2019, 12:07 AM
:D

That was basically the idea behind buying my coworker's G20. But that's more a target of opportunity thing; I'm still working on the "business before pleasure" approach. Trying to see if there are missing serious/defensive roles to fill first.

I'd like a 1911 one day, but just as a range toy.

We already have both; if I got the 19.5 it would become the new carry gun (eventually with optic one day?) and the 19.4 would be for training and competition. Thinking of the 17 as the nightstand gun, maybe.

I like the idea of a 26 to complete the set, as it were... but I don't really see it filling a real need (that is, I can't think of many cases where I couldn't adequately conceal a 19 but I could with the 26). The 43 fills the role for me. I'd still like to get one eventually. I just don't know if another 19 or the 26 should be first.

For me, either the 19 or 26 is easy to hide under a jacket or sweater. However, with a closed front concealment garment, the 26 is much less likely to wear a hole in it. This is particularly true with untucked polo style shirts in warm weather. This is also where the difference in concealability becomes very noticeable - the end of the grip on the 19 is much more likely to print with an untucked shirt.

I pocket carry the 26 about 5 days a week for half the year. Since you have a 43, I would not expect you to try that.

During workouts, the 26 fits in a small size concealed carry fanny pack - one that is actually close in size to a normal fanny pack.

gtae07
02-01-2019, 12:57 PM
For me, either the 19 or 26 is easy to hide under a jacket or sweater. However, with a closed front concealment garment, the 26 is much less likely to wear a hole in it. This is particularly true with untucked polo style shirts in warm weather. This is also where the difference in concealability becomes very noticeable - the end of the grip on the 19 is much more likely to print with an untucked shirt.
So far in my two days of AIWB I haven’t had an issue with the 19 printing. I could see how the 26 would still print a bit less, but it seems like this is a bit less of an issue than if I were still doing strong side IWB.

I pocket carry the 26 about 5 days a week for half the year. Since you have a 43, I would not expect you to try that.
Heck, I find the 43 a mite large for pocket carry. I don’t wear skinny pants but my legs are proportionally larger on me than most guys so stuff in my pockets will print more. A P3AT in a Superfly pocket holster disappears even with the detachable flap; a G43 with said flap looks like I’m smuggling a brick. Take the flap off and it looks like a gun in a pocket holster. The 42 might work but I haven’t really tried it yet—it’s the wife’s gun and she won’t let me run off with it :p I can’t imagine trying to smuggle a 26 in my pocket!

During workouts, the 26 fits in a small size concealed carry fanny pack - one that is actually close in size to a normal fanny pack.
Now that’s something I didn’t think of... <starts shopping for running packs on Amazon> I have a little tiny IWB holster for the P3AT (as that seems to be the only thing that works with gym shorts) but it still sometimes prints. A waist pack could solve a few problems with exercise and let me upsize the gun a bit...

Going for the 26 is a good point, I guess. Half the idea for getting a 19.5MOS is that I’d like to move to an optic at some point, but I’m not really in a hurry to do so.

Either way, I have a few weeks to decide. Thanks for the input everyone. Anyone else?

RJ
02-01-2019, 01:24 PM
Earned a small cache of OT $ lately.

I totally want to use this year’s coupon on a G43X to add as an EDC option, possibly in place of my G26.5 with +2 in an RCS Perun AOWB.

gtae07
02-22-2019, 06:54 AM
Decided to go with the 19.5MOS and wife ordered her 48. They should arrive next week (dealer hardly keeps anything in stock, I guess to reduce inventory costs). Wife is already asking if we can cerakote her slide black.

I'll probably break it in and prove it out, mount the optic, and train with it for a while.

Now, for next year's choice... G29? :p