PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Combat Brig Tac - would you buy it again?

fpnunes
01-30-2019, 07:24 AM
For those of you who have purchased a Brig Tac would you buy it again? Anything that you don't like, or really do like? I know that any purchase is individualized and our needs, while similar, can vary wildly. I already have an LTT along with a PX4CC and wondering if a Brig Tac would be a nice addition to my pasta blaster collection.

The alternative is grabbing a Sig P226 legion (gasp!) that I seem to shoot better than the 92 series. As a lefty I seem to shoot any 92 series about 3" due right of center @ 10 yards pretty consistently. Great groups that are vertically fine, just to the right. Drives me batsh*t. Any insight is greatly appreciated folks.

CraigS
01-30-2019, 08:44 AM
Move the rear sight.

Prdator
01-30-2019, 08:49 AM
So If I had the $ right now Id buy another LTT Elite over all the other 92's and I have three of them.. LOL

Its just that much of a better gun IMHO.

Oh and Just FYI. we have holsters for them ready to go. :cool:

JimLob65
01-30-2019, 08:58 AM
I own a Brig Tac, a Cen Tac and an LTT, all with action tune/trigger jobs. While I would have a really tough time picking one over the other, I can say that I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Brig Tac again. Absolutely love it, and while the LTT trigger is smoother the Brig Tac trigger is lighter and breaks in a better spot.
I owned a tda P226 Legion and sold it after it became a safe queen after buying the Brig Tac. I still own a SAO P226 Legion and the Brig Tac SA trigger is better.

Doc_Glock
01-30-2019, 09:01 AM
I didn’t care for the Brig Tac and sold it. I definitely would not buy again unless it was for some sort of collection.

Nothing particularly wrong with it, I just didn’t care for the heavier slide and it did nothing a standard 92 won’t do for less.

I did like the Wilson thicker grips over the LTT ultrathin grips.

echo5charlie
01-30-2019, 09:23 AM
I have the Brig Tac with action tune and an LTT with Langdon trigger job and spartan sights.

Both are great pistols, but I give the edge to the LTT. I also prefer the thicker grips of the Wilson, however.

So, to answer your question - I would buy a Brig Tac again, even owning the LTT. I like Beretta pistols that are spiffed up.

LockedBreech
01-30-2019, 11:09 AM
The Brig Tac is a very nice gun (have not owned, but have shot) but the LTT offers a better feature set as well as the input/expertise of probably the foremost Beretta 92 expert that doesn't work in Gardone Val Trompia. And I think it looks sexier. I'd go with the LTT today. No insult to the Brig Tac at all, it's just not the hottest 92 out there anymore.

BobRockefeller
01-30-2019, 11:12 AM
You might also consider the Wilson Combat CenTac. It's a different size 92 for variety, and mine is very nice. Not quite as nice as my 92G Elite LTT, and I don't like the sights as much, but it is a great gun. I can always change the sights to Wilson Combat's u-notch rear and FO front, one day.

Stony Lane
01-30-2019, 11:16 AM
I have the Wilson BT (with the LTT TJIB) and the LTT (purchased with the trigger job and I added the thicker VZ grips). I am actually shooting the Wilson better for some reason. I want to like the LTT better and I really appreciate the beveled trigger guard on the LTT, but the Wilson trigger (especially double action) just “feels” better. However, my favorite is still my Elite II from back in the day… You can’t go wrong either way.

ralph
01-30-2019, 11:21 AM
I have a Cent- Tac..would I buy again? NO...Frankly, I think LTT is offering a higher quality pistol, I'll probably keep the Cent-Tac, But, I think I'm done with Wilson Combat Beretta's, I just don't think they're worth the money...

MGW
01-30-2019, 01:48 PM
So If I had the $ right now Id buy another LTT Elite over all the other 92's and I have three of them.. LOL

Its just that much of a better gun IMHO.

Oh and Just FYI. we have holsters for them ready to go. :cool:

You should probably just make me a really good deal on one of your "extra" 92's. :D

To the OP - for me, the BrigTac was a different beast compared to other 92's. It handles different, draws a little different, and recoils differently. Not better or worse just different. If consistency is important I would pass on the BrigTac. A back up of your CC or LTT would make more sense to me.

fpnunes
01-30-2019, 02:50 PM
Move the rear sight. I did and it made it better, but still off center. I noticed that the front site is staked in off center and that may be the culprit. I'm hesitant to go hammering on the gun as I really don't want to bung it up. I guess I'll pack it up and arrange for Ernest to swap out the sights to the Spartans and do a trigger job while it is away from home.

I appreciate all the responses, looks like the general consensus is that the LTT I already have gets me everything I'm looking for. Guess I'll get the LTT sorted out and snag a 226 to play with. Thanks guys!

Sal Picante
01-30-2019, 03:40 PM
The price points on all these guns are pretty similar - within ~150 of one another.

The heavier slide appeals to some, but the vertec slide is pretty much sorted out. It wouldn't surprise me if the Brig Slide got dropped off the roster in a few years - with the intermediate sized slide, there just isn't much need for it.

After years of shooing all manner of 92's I can pretty much say that they all just feel the same to me... A better trigger and better sights means so much more, but, honestly, whatever. The proof is in the performance and I just haven't shot that much better/worse with a stock 92G.

If I were buying a new 92, I'd probably just pony up for an LTT and call it good.

... that said, since I've got all kinds of gear and crap, if I found a price worthy brig-slide gun, I'd buy it... But I'm a junkie, what can I say?

Hizzie
01-30-2019, 03:50 PM
I owned two. The WC part of the experience left much to be desired. The BUSA part was amazing. The gun itself the part I disliked was the oversprung brigadier slide. The current M9A3 or LTT editions would be my pick today.

usmc_k9_vet
01-30-2019, 10:34 PM
I've got a Brig Tac with 7 or 8 thousand rounds through it. After having carried one in the Marine Corps, I never thought I'd be interested in owning another Beretta. When Wilson Combat announced that they were collaborating on the Beretta 92G Brigadier Tactical, I had to have one! I am really glad I made that purchase as the gun has been flawless ever since I bought it. I also remember the first time taking it to the range and being pleasantly surprised (not sure why it surprised me) that I was shooting it extremely accurately.

I am definitely going to pick up an Elite LTT in the future, and I really hope Langdon puts out a compact model, but I would still buy another Brig Tac or buy it again if I could go back in time.

I also owned The Wilson/Beretta 92G Centurion Tactical and for whatever reason didn't shoot it nearly as well as the Brig Tac or Compact Carry. I am not sure if it was just that one gun or if there is something about the Centurions that is just a bit off for me. I ended up trading that one away, but the Centurion models still appeal to me.

I like Beretta pistols that are spiffed up.

So do I. The Wilson's and these Langdon guns are super cool!

You might also consider the Wilson Combat CenTac. It's a different size 92 for variety, and mine is very nice. Not quite as nice as my 92G Elite LTT, and I don't like the sights as much, but it is a great gun. I can always change the sights to Wilson Combat's u-notch rear and FO front, one day.

I may end up picking up another Centurion model sometime in the future as well. I prefer a square notch rear with a fiber optic front sight.

Bill
01-31-2019, 09:16 PM
I found the LTT to be a better shooter in my hands. No need to add a brig slide-ed gun in the mix and start over again with support equipment. I'd either get another LTT, or go Cent-tac and put a tjiab in it.

Re: hitting off center issue. . . At least its consistent, which means to me a sight adjustment or grip/grip size adjustment might do the trick. Swapping grip panels from thin to standard to slightly thick might make the difference. I've found that sometimes grips that "feel" subjectively better don't always provide better shooting results. At times what doesn't feel immediately intuitive puts the holes where they're supposed to go anyway.

fpnunes
02-03-2019, 06:33 PM
If I were buying a new 92, I'd probably just pony up for an LTT and call it good.

... that said, since I've got all kinds of gear and crap, if I found a price worthy brig-slide gun, I'd buy it... But I'm a junkie, what can I say?

I grabbed the LTT and can't seem the shake the brig-tac so looks like I'm ordering one tomorrow. Something about Beretta that turns you into a junkie and makes you come back for more. I still have an o/u on my buy list...

fpnunes
02-03-2019, 06:42 PM
I found the LTT to be a better shooter in my hands. No need to add a brig slide-ed gun in the mix and start over again with support equipment. I'd either get another LTT, or go Cent-tac and put a tjiab in it.

Re: hitting off center issue. . . At least its consistent, which means to me a sight adjustment or grip/grip size adjustment might do the trick. Swapping grip panels from thin to standard to slightly thick might make the difference. I've found that sometimes grips that "feel" subjectively better don't always provide better shooting results. At times what doesn't feel immediately intuitive puts the holes where they're supposed to go anyway.

I tried a rental 92fs at the range yesterday with standard grips and a really so-so trigger pull just as a quick comparison. I was dead center with a great group so it is either the grips or the sight. I'm guessing a combo of both so easy to fix. I appreciate everyone's input.

Dorsai
02-04-2019, 10:11 AM
This will be a bit convoluted, but hopefully it will make sense. I was one of those people who disparaged the Beretta from the day it was adopted as the M9, until last year. What changed my mind was handling (not shooting) a Wilson Combat Brigadier. The grip change completely altered the over-large feel in my hand, as well as the trigger reach. I hated, and still do hate the slide mounted safety. The G conversion solved that. Then I tried the trigger and I was sold. Smooth, very, very usable. I started researching the reviews, comments and details of the 92/M9 and the Wilson. I was then determined to get the Wilson, and/or a cheap used 92 that I could start modifying myself. I didn't get the Wilson, I bought the LTT instead, and I'm not disappointed. But I also got a used 92fs at a very good price and it is/will be an amalgam of the LTT and Wilson. I found a Vertec slide so I could change the sights. A very good deal from a member here on Trijicon M9A3 sights has finished that. I installed a G safety conversion and a Langdon trigger-job-in-a-bag. Wilson ultra-slim olive green grips for the feel and because I really love that color combination. I plan to send it to Wilson for checkering on the front and back straps and possibly remove the trigger guard hook. The latter is purely cosmetic. As is, the gun is much better than it was stock, but it's still not as good as the LTT when it comes to the slickness of the DA trigger pull. So it will go to Langdon to see if they can work their magic.

The functional difference in my mind between the Langdon LTT and the Wilson Brigadier is the Brigadier slide The rest is really cosmetic. I haven't shot the Brigadier so I can't comment on how it feels. I've read the same internet commentary that others have so I won't go there. But I have a Wilson trigger bar, Wilson springs, Wilson grips and I'll get Wilson frame work. So I guess that means I'll buy Wilson. After a lot of research.

Magsz
02-04-2019, 02:32 PM
Can anyone comment on impressions between the cen tac and the LTT?

Standard length 92's have always had a unique, wonky recoil impulse to me. Something ive found very hard to get used to so i'm immensely curious as to whether or not the shorter slide solves some of that sight "oscillation" that i experience with the 92 series of guns.

CalmlyDeMented
02-06-2019, 03:47 PM
Good deals can be found on used ones. I've owned two, shot them a fair amount, and didn't lose any money when I sold them.
Sell them I did though. As nice as they were, I didn't shoot them that much better than a regular M9. Although, the G style decocker is a must. But then again, I'm bound to M9s for military competitions for now.
If I was buying new,with new prices, it would be a LTT.

fpnunes
02-16-2019, 07:35 AM
Just an update - Brig Tac (sans action work) came in have to say well worth the cash. Super nice gun and I really like the balance. Front night sight was DOA so a bit of a bummer, but I'm sure BUSA will sort it out at some point. Trigger is really crisp and the grips feel a bit more grabby, which I really like. Beretta is really turning out some nice 92s lately. A big shout out to Bill Wilson and Ernest Langdon for leading the way and helping to bring these great series to the market. Now I'm thinking that a M9A3 might be in order...

El Cid
02-17-2019, 11:16 PM
I have a WC Brig Tac and like it very much. I had always wanted a 92 series since getting out of the military. It’s obviously more polished than a straight up 92F.

Now when the M9A3 came out I liked the option between the Vertec and full grip. I still felt the Brig Tac was the right choice. But now that I’ve seen the new 2 tone versions... It’s not worth changing out to me, but if I was buying today I’d snag a Grey/Black A3.

Jeep
02-18-2019, 01:53 PM
I have a Brig Tac. Very accurate; shoots flat and the heavy slide is good for rapid fire. It's too heavy to carry, though.

The Beretta I like best is the M9A3. I put new VZ grips on mine; put in a trigger job in a bag (but kept the existing trigger bar) and it is terrific. As accurate as the Brig Tac (which is saying something) and in my hands (which is saying nothing) I shoot it more accurately.

When I compare the M9A3 with the M-17, I shake my head about what the Army missed by refusing to even consider the A3.

usmc_k9_vet
02-18-2019, 11:14 PM
I have a Brig Tac. Very accurate; shoots flat and the heavy slide is good for rapid fire. It's too heavy to carry, though.

The Beretta I like best is the M9A3. I put new VZ grips on mine; put in a trigger job in a bag (but kept the existing trigger bar) and it is terrific. As accurate as the Brig Tac (which is saying something) and in my hands (which is saying nothing) I shoot it more accurately.

When I compare the M9A3 with the M-17, I shake my head about what the Army missed by refusing to even consider the A3.

Not trying to be argumentative, but I disagree that the Brig Tac is too heavy to carry. I have been carrying mine IWB in a Milt Sparks VM2 for a few weeks now and, especially during these winter months, I find it to carry very well. It is big and heavy, but I've found that with a good belt and holster, it carries nicely for me. I also shoot it very well. May go back to carrying my 92G CC, also in a Milt Sparks VM2, but we will see. Carrying a full size gun with 20+1 and 20 more on the hip feels nice.

Duke
02-18-2019, 11:48 PM
I loved the brig

But MY LTTs ruined it for me.

Now It feels heavy, wide and sharp in places it shouldn’t be.

Jeep
02-19-2019, 08:48 AM
Not trying to be argumentative, but I disagree that the Brig Tac is too heavy to carry. I have been carrying mine IWB in a Milt Sparks VM2 for a few weeks now and, especially during these winter months, I find it to carry very well. It is big and heavy, but I've found that with a good belt and holster, it carries nicely for me. I also shoot it very well. May go back to carrying my 92G CC, also in a Milt Sparks VM2, but we will see. Carrying a full size gun with 20+1 and 20 more on the hip feels nice.

That is a fair point. I should have said it is too heavy for me to carry, but then again I'm over 60 with a sore back. Others might not be bothered at all.

usmc_k9_vet
02-19-2019, 11:58 AM
That is a fair point. I should have said it is too heavy for me to carry, but then again I'm over 60 with a sore back. Others might not be bothered at all.

I totally get it. The Brig Tac is a big hunk a metal! I am 5'9", muscular build, and 32 years old. I guess at this point, I just like the gun and am willing to put up with the weight since my clothing this time of year conceals it well and Milt Sparks makes everything comfortable to carry. Still, since I am testing the Langdon Tactical trigger job in a bag I installed in my 92G CC, I may switch back to that for carry once I am confident the gun is running 100% again. I shoot it just as well as the Brig Tac, the trigger feels great (got 400 rounds on it since the install), and it's a bit of a weight and size savings.

usmc_k9_vet
02-19-2019, 11:59 AM
I loved the brig

But MY LTTs ruined it for me.

Now It feels heavy, wide and sharp in places it shouldn’t be.

I would love to pick up an LTT with carry bevel and really hope they consider doing a compact version. I would pick one of those up in a heartbeat!

Medusa
02-19-2019, 12:38 PM
I would love to pick up an LTT with carry bevel and really hope they consider doing a compact version. I would pick one of those up in a heartbeat!

I’d grab a compact version for sure.

FreedomFries
02-19-2019, 04:18 PM
New member here. I have two Brig Tacs, so at some point I did buy it again (actually, I traded for the second one but similar idea). However, after concealed carrying one for a year, I would say that the Brigadier slide does not provide any real added benefit. It is heavy, but doesn't bother me. I carry it in either a Mastermind Tactics AIWB (now discontinued) or JMCK AIWB 2.0.

I also don't particularly like the Wilson rear sights. The parkerized finish is not as durable as nitride, so it gets distracting shiny spots quickly that need touch up. I also do not like the plunge cut where there is a circular flat area of the rear sight that contrasts with the serrations. I wish it had a flat serrated surface like the 10-8 style rear sights. I may just get the flat, square notch version as I'm neutral about the U notch. I have this version on my regular 92FS and like it a bit better although wish it was nitrided.

I do particularly like the frame checkering, 92A1 style trigger guard reshaping, 4.7" crowned barrel, traditional G levers (instead of the new G conversion kit you see on the LTT Elite or M9A3 G), and the Wilson regular thickness VZ grips. At this point, I'm debating switching my carry to a Cent Tac or getting an LTT Elite. I'm a bit conflicted with the Cent Tac because although I like the regular weight slide, I don't really need a shorter slide and prefer the full length 92 slides. The other thing I thought about was swapping a Vertec slide onto my Brig Tac, with better sights such as the LTT Spartan or some other combination. However, most people don't get a WC Beretta in order to turn it into a Frankenretta, so I do feel a little funny doing something like that.

pastaslinger
02-20-2019, 09:21 AM
Recoils feels better to me with the brigadier slide. The sights on the brig tac are medicine, the front night sight is difficult to see and the rear u notch is distracting but easily replaced with the Les pepperoni sight. I like the look of the round trigger guard and the single slot rail but they have since switched to the two slot rail.

The LTT has better small features such as the radius ING, the better checkering, the front cocking serrations, etc. It's a good looking gun. The sights are very usable. The price is excellent for what you get. The grips are too thin for me.

If it was me making the choice now, I would get an LTT, do a trigger job with the Wilson bar/buy the trigger job//buy the trigger job in a bag, and buy some Lok grips of normal thickness and you'll be at the price of a new brig tac without any extras, more or less. The brigadier slide is nice but the brig tac gets beat in about every other way including price. This isn't to say don't buy more things though.

LSP552
02-22-2019, 06:09 AM
There was no LTT version when I bought my Wilson BT. I added the LTT TJIB, fiber optic front sight and it’s a great pistol. Buying today, I’d pick the LTT version.

fpnunes
02-22-2019, 07:16 AM
There was no LTT version when I bought my Wilson BT. I added the LTT TJIB, fiber optic front sight and it’s a great pistol. Buying today, I’d pick the LTT version.

I now have both and I'd be hard pressed to chose a favorite. I wish that the LTT came in an all black finish but that is certainly possible with some parts changes. As a lefty, I will say that I find the new ambi right side safety lever on the LTT a bit sharp compared to the classic ambi on the Wilson but it sure isn't a deal breaker.

FreedomFries
02-22-2019, 12:41 PM
I now have both and I'd be hard pressed to chose a favorite. I wish that the LTT came in an all black finish but that is certainly possible with some parts changes. As a lefty, I will say that I find the new ambi right side safety lever on the LTT a bit sharp compared to the classic ambi on the Wilson but it sure isn't a deal breaker.

I thought the G conversion levers looked a bit odd, but that's disappointing to hear that they feel sharp for a left handed user. I suspect they tear holes in my shirt more than the classic levers do, but I pretty much only wear Target and Wal-Mart shirts now, so I guess it's not that big of a deal. I wish the LTT used the classic levers, but I understand that they wanted to standardize the slide machining and it also allows conversion back and forth between G and F styles. The choice of lever style kind of pushed me to get a Cent Tac instead when I was looking to get another factory custom type Beretta. I also didn't care for the LTT's two tone look, but that seems to be part of the Elite styling and is a minor cosmetic concern.