PDA

View Full Version : Field Knife Suggestion(s)

RevolverRob
01-28-2019, 11:16 PM
Long story short: For a very long time I used a Buck Strider 889 folder as my field knife of choice. Worked great, big blade handled all cutting chores and even worked as an impromptu scat hole digger. Unfortunately, I lost it in a cave two years ago, but haven't been back out in the field since. Going to have a field season coming up way out off the grid in northwestern Kenya. I need to start squaring my gear away now.

I want suggestions for two knives. One folder one fixed.

Folder:

The Buck-Strider is now long discontinued and with Strider Knives more or less split up and Mick is only occasionally making folders, I'm going to have to opt for something in a different direction. Here are my basic criteria:

Framelock or sturdy ("overbuilt") liner lock.
Blade Steel - whatever as long as I can get it sharp with a diamond stone.
Blade Length - 2.5-4" I can do most of what I need with a shorter blade, but length is nice to have sometimes.
Blade shape - Spear point or drop point is my preference.
NO assisted opener, NO wave (don't want to run afoul of any weird law interpretations overseas). Would def prefer a hole over a stud, so I can make and use an impromptu zip-tie wave, but it is what it is.
Price: Jeez this is the tough one let's say preferably <$200, because I'd prefer to not lose a super expensive blade to customs or in the field some place.

Example of what I am thinking about: ZT 0566 - Has speedsafe assisted, but I know that's fairly easy to remove.
__

Fixed:

Let's cut to the chase. This knife needs to be small enough to conceal when I'm traveling to and from the field in various cities and big enough to be useful in an emergency field situation.

Blade Shape: Neutral shapes preferred (spearpoint/drop point again).
Blade length: 2.5-4"
Blade steel and thickness: Thick enough to baton in an emergency, strong enough to withstand batoning, otherwise don't care as long as it can get sharp with a diamond stone.
Sheath: Kydex
Overall size: Would love the blade to be concealable on the belt line in "default" position (i.e., like a clinch pick). That's where the vast majority of my reps have been and I'm very comfortable snagging a blade from here and concealing one here. Problem is the bigger the blade, the harder it is for me to conceal. About 7" OAL is the max I can hide in this area.
Budget: Eh whatever, let's call it <$200 as well.

Example of what I'm thinking about: ESEE Izula - but would prefer more blade length (but not handle length, which makes this a hard thing to find).

____

GuanoLoco
01-29-2019, 01:29 AM
Long story short: For a very long time I used a Buck Strider 889 folder as my field knife of choice. Worked great, big blade handled all cutting chores and even worked as an impromptu scat hole digger. Unfortunately, I lost it in a cave two years ago, but haven't been back out in the field since. Going to have a field season coming up way out off the grid in northwestern Kenya. I need to start squaring my gear away now.

I want suggestions for two knives. One folder one fixed.

Folder:

The Buck-Strider is now long discontinued and with Strider Knives more or less split up and Mick is only occasionally making folders, I'm going to have to opt for something in a different direction. Here are my basic criteria:

Framelock or sturdy ("overbuilt") liner lock.
Blade Steel - whatever as long as I can get it sharp with a diamond stone.
Blade Length - 2.5-4" I can do most of what I need with a shorter blade, but length is nice to have sometimes.
Blade shape - Spear point or drop point is my preference.
NO assisted opener, NO wave (don't want to run afoul of any weird law interpretations overseas). Would def prefer a hole over a stud, so I can make and use an impromptu zip-tie wave, but it is what it is.
Price: Jeez this is the tough one let's say preferably <$200, because I'd prefer to not lose a super expensive blade to customs or in the field some place.

Example of what I am thinking about: ZT 0566 - Has speedsafe assisted, but I know that's fairly easy to remove.
__

Fixed:

Let's cut to the chase. This knife needs to be small enough to conceal when I'm traveling to and from the field in various cities and big enough to be useful in an emergency field situation.

Blade Shape: Neutral shapes preferred (spearpoint/drop point again).
Blade length: 2.5-4"
Blade steel and thickness: Thick enough to baton in an emergency, strong enough to withstand batoning, otherwise don't care as long as it can get sharp with a diamond stone.
Sheath: Kydex
Overall size: Would love the blade to be concealable on the belt line in "default" position (i.e., like a clinch pick). That's where the vast majority of my reps have been and I'm very comfortable snagging a blade from here and concealing one here. Problem is the bigger the blade, the harder it is for me to conceal. About 7" OAL is the max I can hide in this area.
Budget: Eh whatever, let's call it <$200 as well.

Example of what I'm thinking about: ESEE Izula - but would prefer more blade length (but not handle length, which makes this a hard thing to find).

____

You left off the Cold Steel shovel. I get a ton of mileage out of those things.

gringop
01-29-2019, 01:32 AM
I'm not sure if the ZT 0566 is different but on the 350 and 301, if the assisted opening torsion spring is broken or removed, the blade won't stay shut. I've broken a number of them and had to stop carrying them until I replaced the spring. They stay locked open just great but closed they flop around and will open in your pocket. I keep spare springs. ZT will send you ones for free.

For a fixed blade, maybe get a EESE-3 and cut down the handle?

Gringop

Drang
01-29-2019, 01:45 AM
Morakniv (https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_ss_tl?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=morakniv+knife&sprefix=morakniv,aps,799&crid=19ZZ8I280NWWA&linkCode=ll2&tag=pistolforum-20&linkId=cc871ee7938cf0814eb1d9eaf188d966&language=en_US).

Get two or three as spares/gifts/baksheesh.

RevolverRob
01-29-2019, 02:07 AM
You left off the Cold Steel shovel. I get a ton of mileage out of those things.

Digging tools, I never worry about. We have shovels, picks, rock hammers, and trowels. We’ll get shit dug out.

I'm not sure if the ZT 0566 is different but on the 350 and 301, if the assisted opening torsion spring is broken or removed, the blade won't stay shut. I've broken a number of them and had to stop carrying them until I replaced the spring. They stay locked open just great but closed they flop around and will open in your pocket. I keep spare springs. ZT will send you ones for free.

For a fixed blade, maybe get a EESE-3 and cut down the handle?

Gringop

That’s a bummer, but right after I started this thread I discovered the DPx Gear HEST/F 2.0 https://dpxgear.com/collections/folding-knives/products/dpx-hest-f-2-0-od-rh - which basically seems perfect for my requirements. Enough so, I might forego a field-oriented fixed blade and just carry a Defensive oriented fixed blade instead.

Morakniv (https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_8?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=morakniv+knife&sprefix=morakniv%2Caps%2C799&crid=19ZZ8I280NWWA).

Get two or three as spares/gifts/baksheesh.

Oh, yes I have a budget set aside for about a dozen or so to go with us for this purpose. But the Mora sheaths leave something to be desired as concealed sheaths and I’m focused primarily on those functions for my blades.

BillSWPA
01-29-2019, 06:42 AM
I am a bit out of my lane on the subject of field knives, but why frame lock or liner lock? I do not have a high degree of confidence in either.

Wouldn’t a rocket bar lock, axis lock, or ball bearing lock be more dependable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtnbkr
01-29-2019, 07:29 AM
I spend a lot of time in the woods hiking, biking, camping, and hunting.

Folders:
My "field" folder is a SAK. If I'm carrying a fixed blade, I'm not going to be using my folder for "hard work", so a simple SAK suffices. The Boker slipjoints at CountyComm would be a good choice as well. I have one in PF Orange and it's a nice slipjoint. The pocket clip is nice if you're going to use it, but is easy to remove if you don't need it (I bought it for overseas travel and find it better to let it ride in the bottom of my pocket). This looks good (https://countycomm.com/collections/cutting/products/xl-boker-edc-slip-joint-knife-safety-orange-g10). The saw is a nice addition. My SAK has a saw and I use it a lot for clearing small branches.

That said, I recently (6 months ago?) bought an Ontario RAT-1 in D2 (https://www.knifecenter.com/item/ON8867OD/ontario-rat-model-1-folding-knife-satin-d2-plain-blade-od-green-nylon-handles) "just because". It seems quite solid and would make a good field folder in my opinion. Also, if you lose it (a real concern in the field), you're not out a lot of money. I got my orange-scaled D2 version online for less than $50, the AUS-8 version is available at Wal-Mart for $28.

Fixed Blade:
If you like the Izula but want more blade, check out the Kabar/Becker BK14 aka Eskabar (https://www.knifecenter.com/item/KABK14/KA-BAR-ESEE-BK14-Becker-Eskabar-Knife-3-14-inch-1095-Cro-Van-Carbon-Steel-Blade). It's a joint design between Becker and Esee. It has the handle of the Izula, but a slightly larger blade (BK11's blade I think). The sheath is crap, but you can get aftermarket sheaths that let you carry it in the manner you describe. I have a kydex taco sheath (https://www.armatuscarry.com/store/p79/Becker_BK14_-_Architect_Sheath.html) with a clip that lets me carry it IWB. With the handles cordwrapped, it's quite low profile. The 1095 steel gets wicked sharp, yet the coating keeps rust at bay (hasn't really been an issue for me, but some folks are overly concerned about carbon steel blades rusting). The only weakness of this knife is the blade has too much belly and not enough point. I think it would not work well for cleaning small game and would struggle with deer. Therefore, my "hunting" knife is a Buck Vanguard S30v (https://www.cabelas.com/product/hunting/after-the-shot/field-care/pc/104791680/c/104689980/sc/104320080/cabelas-alaskan-guide-reg-series-vanguard-rubber-handled-knife-by-buck-knives-reg/1550113.uts?slotId=0) with rubber grips and a cordura sheath.

I have other knives, but the two above (SAK and BK14) are as good as any pairing. I've owned a few customs and haven't found them to be materially better in the field, though they're certainly more expensive.

Chris

JodyH
01-29-2019, 07:33 AM
My field knives are a Spyderco Pacific Salt, yellow handle, plain blade.
Plenty of rust proof blade and high visibility so I might not lose it.

ESEE 3, again plenty of blade, tough and sharp. A wide variety of aftermarket handles to personalize the size and feel.

mtnbkr
01-29-2019, 07:39 AM
ESEE 3, again plenty of blade, tough and sharp. A wide variety of aftermarket handles to personalize the size and feel.
It should be at the top of anyone's field knife list. I conveniently forgot about it when I was momentarily distracted by the shiny Buck Vanguard and it's seductive sale price. That's not to say the Buck was a bad knife for its intended purpose, but I think the Esee 3 would be a better hard use tool. The only drawback in terms of this discussion is RR's intended carry method. I think it's a bit big and heavy for that.

Chris

JodyH
01-29-2019, 07:41 AM
It should be at the top of anyone's field knife list. I conveniently forgot about it when I was momentarily distracted by the shiny Buck Vanguard and it's seductive sale price. That's not to say the Buck was a bad knife for its intended purpose, but I think the Esee 3 would be a better hard use tool. The only drawback in terms of this discussion is RR's intended carry method. I think it's a bit big and heavy for that.

Chris
There's a lot of sheath options out there for the ESEE that would make AIWB or horizontal belt carry a breeze.
The aftermarket for ESEE is better than any other fixed blade.

mtnbkr
01-29-2019, 07:47 AM
There's a lot of sheath options out there for the ESEE that would make AIWB or horizontal belt carry a breeze.

Per his statements the length would be an issue. I'm sure it's doable though.

Chris

JodyH
01-29-2019, 07:57 AM
My field fixed blade is a Chris Reeve Pacific... so when I look at my ESEE-3 next to it it seems tiny, that probably throws off my perception of how concealable it is.
:cool:

mtnbkr
01-29-2019, 08:07 AM
The Esee-3 is not a big knife per se, but RR's requirements are for something smaller. That CRK Pacific is nice looking, but would feel like a short sword to me. :)

Chris

RevolverRob
01-29-2019, 11:18 AM
I am a bit out of my lane on the subject of field knives, but why frame lock or liner lock? I do not have a high degree of confidence in either.

Wouldn’t a rocket bar lock, axis lock, or ball bearing lock be more dependable?

In a way axis and ball bearing locks would be more dependable; in the sense that they are stronger than liners and frame locks (I feel less confident in a rocker bar lock). But there is an achilles heel to the axis and ball bearing locks - sand. I stopped using a Benchmade Grip for field work, when I accidentally dropped it into some very fine, talcum like, sand. I had to dunk the knife into my drinking water and shake it out to get it free enough to close. Until I disassembled and cleaned the whole thing it remained very gritty. Liner locks can have this happen too, but they're easier to clean, a framelock doesn't have these problems in my experience.

I also admit, I don't care much for captive springs to keep locks functioning at 100%. All of the designs I've seen for the locks you mentioned use springs of some type. Simpler is better for field work in my opinion.

Per his statements the length would be an issue. I'm sure it's doable though.

Chris

I think so too, I'll take a hard look at the ESSE 3.

My field fixed blade is a Chris Reeve Pacific... so when I look at my ESEE-3 next to it it seems tiny, that probably throws off my perception of how concealable it is.
:cool:

A Pacific would be great. I can easily conceal a big fixed blade in a shoulder rig under a safari vest, but it limits hand access and I don't like that.

I've got the version of that with red G10 (I think that color was a baldehq.com exclusive) that I bought 6 years ago that I've never used and I'm pretty sure I never will. I'll dig around in my big ass boxes full of random knives today. PM me your mailing address.

Dude, awesome. Do we change the tag now? #ModsHereAreOkay

BobM
01-29-2019, 12:47 PM
I have a couple of the Buck Bantams that are pretty solid folders for under $30. You then have a couple spares in case of loss.
Becker’s are good fixed blades for the money.

Jakus
01-29-2019, 02:19 PM
I have both an ESEE Candiru and Izula II that I use as field knives. I also had Dark Star Gear make wrap style sheaths with a pull the dot strap (aka the Clinch Pick style) sheaths for both of them. The Candiru factory fold over sheath is ok, and usually what I use on backpacking trips. The factory Izula sheath is very usable. I find the Candiru when carried like the Clinch Pick conceals very easily and will still baton, sharpen, etc like all ESEE products. The Izula II is slightly to large to conceal in the Clinch Pick position, but will conceal vertically IWB with the factory sheath very well.

Both of these knives are smaller than you want, but I would very much consider an ESEE 3 or 4 if I felt I needed more knife. The HM variants in particular seem to have a better field craft handle and come in slightly shorter than the MIL version since the choil has been removed. I have looked many times a buying a ESEE 4HM, which now comes with a new kydex sheath, but every time I get close I decide the Izula II/Candiru fill the roles I use them for quite well and I seem to prefer grabbing my Fiskars hatchet for anything I might want a bigger knife for.

BillSWPA
01-29-2019, 04:20 PM
In a way axis and ball bearing locks would be more dependable; in the sense that they are stronger than liners and frame locks (I feel less confident in a rocker bar lock). But there is an achilles heel to the axis and ball bearing locks - sand. I stopped using a Benchmade Grip for field work, when I accidentally dropped it into some very fine, talcum like, sand. I had to dunk the knife into my drinking water and shake it out to get it free enough to close. Until I disassembled and cleaned the whole thing it remained very gritty. Liner locks can have this happen too, but they're easier to clean, a framelock doesn't have these problems in my experience.

I also admit, I don't care much for captive springs to keep locks functioning at 100%. All of the designs I've seen for the locks you mentioned use springs of some type. Simpler is better for field work in my opinion.

Very interesting point.

JHC
01-29-2019, 05:41 PM

ESEE is my first stop. I like knives and have a few more than I can find a use for but I'm not a true knife guy. ESEE to me is like the solid tool choice I don't have to think much on. Like most of my pistols ;)

My favorite folder is my ZT350. All time fave.

Wheeler
01-29-2019, 07:06 PM
Digging tools, I never worry about. We have shovels, picks, rock hammers, and trowels. We’ll get shit dug out.

That’s a bummer, but right after I started this thread I discovered the DPx Gear HEST/F 2.0 https://dpxgear.com/collections/folding-knives/products/dpx-hest-f-2-0-od-rh - which basically seems perfect for my requirements. Enough so, I might forego a field-oriented fixed blade and just carry a Defensive oriented fixed blade instead.

Oh, yes I have a budget set aside for about a dozen or so to go with us for this purpose. But the Mora sheaths leave something to be desired as concealed sheaths and I’m focused primarily on those functions for my blades.

I have an original DPx HEST fixed blade that has been a good field/utility/camp knife. I’ve eyeballed the HEST folder a couple of times, mainly because it’s one of the few lefty specific frame locks made that’s not a custom. I ended up with a Benchmade Grizzly Ridge instead because of the relative price points and the Axis Lock is tough to beat. I’ll be in the other end of Kenya taking pictures of critters mid year and doubt I’ll have much use for anything other than a pocket knife to cut the cellophane of an Altoids tin but, I’ll have my HEST with me.

Clusterfrack
01-29-2019, 07:53 PM
I have a Halloran Pikal that Tom Jones gifted me for a random draw prize. I like it quite a bit for that role.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190130/5d45972d3beee3325f428b6fe8a8e58e.jpg

The ZT 0620 is my EDC but it is waved... How about this?
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190130/a1bf6263cd630a79586a059087563fc6.jpg

Grey
01-29-2019, 08:54 PM
Mora all the way, they even have a beefier "field" version now too. They are cheap, disposable, and you won't miss them if they are lost/stolen.

Wheeler
01-29-2019, 09:00 PM
Mora all the way, they even have a beefier "field" version now too. They are cheap, disposable, and you won't miss them if they are lost/stolen.

I gave one to my brother a few years ago and told him it would be "the cheapest knife you've regretted losing."

RevolverRob
01-29-2019, 10:09 PM
I have a Halloran Pikal that Tom Jones gifted me for a random draw prize. I like it quite a bit for that role.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190130/5d45972d3beee3325f428b6fe8a8e58e.jpg

The ZT 0620 is my EDC but it is waved... How about this?
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190130/a1bf6263cd630a79586a059087563fc6.jpg

That Halloran is nice. It's a shame that the Spyderco Reverse is out of production now. I prefer to not travel with blades I can't get anymore and I (foolishly) only bought one reverse. That said, I'm going to try working with the RC-3/ESEE 3s that Tom so graciously offered me. If the grip is a little long, I imagine it can be chopped down.

The other pieces I was considering:

An SOG 4" Kiku (shown here in the hand), with the "tail" ground off the end and a custom wrap around sheath.

Or the Böker Plus "Pocket Knife" - a slick little fixed blade design by Mikey Yurco that looks quite promising (This one isn't out yet, but right now our season is schedule for June).

https://www.bokerusa.com/fixed-blade-knives/boker-plus/hunting-knives-outdoor-knives/pocket-knife-02bo522

The new "Bushcraft" versions are quite nice, but "pricey for a Mora" - https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Bushcraft-Carbon-Fixed-4-3-Inch/dp/B009O01H0Y?ref_=bl_dp_s_web_6501052011 - Particularly given how...meh the sheath is.

The good old Mora 511 "Basic" reigns supreme for me. If I had to outfit a whole crew or a troop or boyscouts or something, this is what everyone would get. - https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Craftline-Utility-Combi-Sheath-3-6-inch/dp/B0728J49TM

Wondering Beard
01-30-2019, 09:08 AM
For the fixed blade, have you considered the Watson Gamboa (designed by our own DB)?

https://cdn3.volusion.com/cwhhs.ntmeb/v/vspfiles/photos/JWK0161-MW633-3T.jpg

It's a bit on the big side (I've carried it in the CP position but I'm 6'3") and not cheap but it is handy and highly capable for what you want, it seems.

You can find it here (https://www.monkeyedge.com/Joe-Watson-HiTS-Gamboa-Stonewashed-Tan-G10-p/jwk0161-mw633.htm) and here (http://www.bluelinegear.com/product/Watson-Gamboa).

okie john
01-30-2019, 11:27 AM
I'll second the advice for some version of the SAK for the smaller of your two knives. When I was on active duty, most of the guys on most ODAs carried one.

For a larger blade, I like a Dozier K-9 Personal Utility (https://agrussell.com/knife/Dozier-Personal-Utility--DK-PU3), but any of his smaller blades (Slim Outdoorsman, Straight Personal, Canoe, Whittler, etc.) would be fine.

http://i.imgur.com/V6HRDFp.jpg (http://imgur.com/V6HRDFp)

http://i.imgur.com/ZzfOkYI.jpg (http://imgur.com/ZzfOkYI)

http://i.imgur.com/6m6R1e1.jpg (http://imgur.com/6m6R1e1)

http://i.imgur.com/RfvZgqO.jpg (http://imgur.com/RfvZgqO)

Sheath options are pretty good, too.

Okie John

DamonL
01-30-2019, 11:07 PM
In addition to the Zero Tolerance folding knives consider the Spyderco Paramilitary 2 or Manix 2. I would also consider adding a multi tool like a Leatherman or Gerber.

RevolverRob
01-30-2019, 11:51 PM
If I check a bag flying anywhere in the world, a Leatherman goes with me, usually a Squirt, because it’s a very useful size.

If I fly carry on only, I take a Leatherman PS and/or Nite Ize Doohickey. I always fly with EMT Shears on me.

I never travel anywhere in the world, without some form of cutting tool on my person. I def wish we could get back to moderate sized lockable pocket knives on airplanes, but this seems HIGHLY unlikely.

vaspence
01-31-2019, 09:54 PM
I'd probably go for a Spyderco Native 5 (Salt series) and a Fallkniven F1.

I love the stainless Izula carried like a clinch pick and do that a lot in the summer with a stainless one. That said, the F1 gives you a bit more useable handle for the bushcraft type stuff.

The Spyderco Salt series, plain edge in H1 or LC200N. One of these has lived in my pocket most of the year for the last 6 years. Holds a good edge and sweat, water, etc. don't bother it. Yellow handle helps to keep from losing it.

Since you already have the Leatherman PS you've got the good parts of the Swiss Army knife covered. I carry a Gerber Dime Travel every day (in my opinion the scissors and screwdrivers are better than the Leatherman and cheaper if TSA takes it). Probably the most used item I carry besides the flashlight.

theJanitor
02-02-2019, 08:46 PM
I’ve settled on these two (Strider SMF and Tricon) for a hard use combo. I’ve done a ton of demo work with a strider folder and a DB-L. But this Tricon carries easier and is still way tough enough. It’s not within the budget, though

Mjolnir
02-04-2019, 12:07 PM
See First Edge USA knives.

www.firstedgeusa.com

The 5050 is “an anvil with a sharp edge”.

The 5150 is their Field Knife

Look on amazon for the best pricing.

RevolverRob
02-04-2019, 12:24 PM
These showed up yesterday, courteay of Tom_Jones - At this point I believe I am set for field knives for a while. The DPx HEST is a compact, but beastly knife, I think it will work very well in all environments. The RC-3/ESEE 3 is nearly the perfect size for general field and camp chore work. The combo edge knife is going to be used when caving, the plain edge for more general work. I definitely will need a concealment-oriented sheath, but otherwise, very solid blades!

Of course many thanks to our #ModsHereAreOkay (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=ModsHereAreOkay) -

Wheeler
02-04-2019, 06:52 PM
I’ve settled on these two (Strider SMF and Tricon) for a hard use combo. I’ve done a ton of demo work with a strider folder and a DB-L. But this Tricon carries easier and is still way tough enough. It’s not within the budget, though

What sort of demo work are you doing with a pocket knife if you don't mind me asking? Also, what is a DB-L?

theJanitor
02-04-2019, 08:17 PM
What sort of demo work are you doing with a pocket knife if you don't mind me asking? Also, what is a DB-L?

Mostly industrial machine breakdown, and removal. Lots of work on the farm, so alot of crate and lumber breakdown and disposal. I normally carry very few tools on me, and I've been pretty reckless about carrying stuff like chisels and sledges, cause i will just smash the back of the knife with a 2x4 or something. I've torn apart door frames and such with a SnG and an adjustable wrench. I'll just hammer the knife in and twist the knife with the wrench.

ldunnmobile
02-04-2019, 09:01 PM
See First Edge USA knives.

www.firstedgeusa.com

The 5050 is “an anvil with a sharp edge”.

The 5150 is their Field Knife

Look on amazon for the best pricing.

Color me intrigued. Elmax steel... made is USA...

Pistol Pete 10
02-04-2019, 09:49 PM
My favorite is a Buck plastic lockback, had it about 20 years, ugly green with a camo nylon sheath. So light you don't know it's there, pretty easy to sharpen for a SS knife. It's gutted and skinned quite a few deer as well as misc. duties. I don't have a suggestion for a fixed blade as I haven't used one since I discovered folders.

Mjolnir
02-04-2019, 10:19 PM
Color me intrigued. Elmax steel... made is USA...

They are phenomenal blades...

spyderco monkey
02-10-2019, 03:02 AM
Well, it sounds like the OP is already set for knives.

But as a point of reference, it's hard to think of a better Folding Field Knife then the Spyderco Military:
https://i0.wp.com/www.knifecollectors.org/wp-content/uploads/spyderco-military-d2-main-wallpaper-mrblonde-spydercoForums.jpg?w=800

It's been on the market for 25 years now, and its extensively proven - this is a relative rarity for many tactical folders, which seem to be released, then replaced by different models over the years.

The full flat ground blade offers excellent cutting performance, while the oversize G10 handle has superb ergonomics, allowing for multiple grip options.

For a very in depth review of the Military (as well as many other knives) Cliff Stamp does the most comprehensive testing around:
http://www.cliffstamp.com/knives/reviews/military_s30v.html

Wheeler
01-07-2020, 05:17 PM
I’m reviving this thread out of curiosity as to how the DpX HEST folder performed.

Duces Tecum
01-07-2020, 08:42 PM

Not to thread drift, but speaking of concealable sheaths . . .

I think it was 1998 or 99 and I was at the SOF Convention talking to Bill Bagwell regarding a couple of bowies he'd made for me. Conversations drift -- as threads never do <Grin> -- and ours skewed towards concealing big knives. Bill asked his wife, who was sitting behind the counter, to stand up and say "hello". When she sat down Bill (ever the showman) told me she was carrying an 8" bowie. At that precise moment she pulled this huge big thing from beneath her shirt. Whatever she held in her hand sure looked bigger than 8" to me. The secret to concealability was the frogged sheath.

Soon after the Convention I ordered a frogged kydex sheath from Mike Sastre. I think he called it his "Southern Comfort". It's been two decades since then, so no guarantees that Mike is still beavering away, but at that time he was contactable at http://www.rivercitysheaths.com/

That sheath is still in good shape and continues to conceal an 8" fixed blade, especially when carried at 12:00.

That is all. Carry on.

littlejerry
01-07-2020, 09:39 PM
This past December I decided to upgrade some of my abused Mora's to a stainless Izula and ESEE 4 HM. The 4 is for typical field stuff and is just big enought to baton with. The Izula did a pretty good job as a game knife.

Both hold a much better edge than any of my stainless Moras. I'm happy overall.

Now I'm looking to replace my Kershaw folder that has been beat to hell. It strongly resembles some of the ZT knives so I may go that route.