PDA

View Full Version : AAR: Tactical Immersion "CCW Immersion" 2/25/2012

JM Campbell
03-12-2012, 09:57 AM
My first AAR and class

Cedar Ridge Range, Bulverde Texas
Conditions were cool with overcast with low to moderate winds.
Equipment used:
HK P30 v4 TLG 9mm
CCC Shaggy
Kytex Shooting Gear mag pouches
Winchester NATO 9mm @ 350rds
Untucked polo and UA zipper soft shell, Vertex pants.
All drills where shot from concealment.

Instructor: Joseph Bell
AI: Keelan (sorry forgot the surname)

Crawl, Walk, Run was the pace of the day. Safety brief and intro of students and training staff and quick run down of the days schedule.
Due to uncontrollable change of venue the class had a few stragglers that where squared away quickly with safety brief by AI to not hold up the class.

The class was held on Cedar Ridge Ranges Qualification Range 3/7/15/25yd concrete firing lines with dirt/grass in between.

Skills test to start out the day timed and scored: IPSC targets and score zones

Draw fire on three targets 2b and 1h while retreating start position 3yd.
Facing up range at 7yd, turn, draw and fire on 3 targets 2b and 1h.
Using concealment/barrier 15yd, three targets, draw, fire 1b to each target on right side of barrier, slide lock reload, repeat on left side of barrier.

Fundamentals:
Trigger control , recoil management, and stance was demonstrated and the students performed 3/7 yd dot drills to hammer home the lesson and correct any issues. Used two man teams to coach during this drill.
Draw from concealment:
Cover garment management, master grip, retention position, and draw stroke where lectured on and practiced.
SHO and WHO drills.
Reload drills.

Shooting on the move:
Lecture and demo then drills on L/R lateral movement while drawing and firing.
Lecture and demo then drills on retreating while drawing and firing.
Lecture and demo then drill on controlling person/family member while moving and firing egress drill.

Shooting positions:
Lecture, demo, drills on kneeling, prone, modified prone, squatting, and supine and their uses with cover ie vehicle.

Second part of the day we moved over to another range for multiple target engagements and use of cover:
Lecture, demo, and drills on multiple threat engagements while on timer.
Lecture, demo, drills on basic one man home/room clearing.

Ended the day with a retest of the skills test from the beginning of the day.

My thoughts:
This was my first formal training class and was presented professionally with some army grunt humor thrown in.
I learned a lot on my limitations and what I need to work on to improve. I personally have been struggling with trigger control on the P30 LEM, while I am accurate I tend to spread out some at speed and actually move my booger hook completely off the trigger. This was pointed out to me by Joseph and low and behold once I started to slow down and not snatch through the trigger stroke things started to come together.
Joseph and his staff were very informative and ran a tight safe firing line and I would recommend this course for follow up training on CCW carry after the state certification. I am also looking forward to more training courses through Joseph at Tactical Immersion to further my skill set.

Contact info and instructor bio:
www.tacticalimmersion.com

Joseph B.
03-13-2012, 02:30 AM
Thanks for the review and recommendations, I look forward to seeing you at the Combat Pistol Immersion course.

As for the assistant instructor, his name is Keelan Southerland. His background is one enlistment USMC Infantry, and one enlistment US Army Cav Scout, one combat deployment, unit level weapons trainer, unit level armor, disabled veteran, Suarez International Gunfighting Inst, Combat Shooting and Tactics Tac Pistol Instructor, ALERRT Inst, Tactical Immersion CCW Inst. He is a bit of a talker, but very skilled and knowledgeable, and does an exceptional job with small group, one-on-one coaching, and general assistance on the range. I am very happy to have him on my staff.

Thanks again for the AAR!