PDA

View Full Version : Hong Kong knife carry

theJanitor
01-19-2019, 12:40 PM
So, I've booked my first ever real vacation (my first longer than a weekend), and I would like to know if anyone has first-hand experience with carrying knives there, both for general use and defense. I'll be with my wife, 5yo son, and my in-laws. There will be lots of eating, package opening, and the like.

Thanks,

Kent

luckyman
01-19-2019, 01:25 PM
Nothing solid; when I tried to research this a couple years ago I was left with enough doubts I decided not to do it. Hopefully someone else has concrete info.

theJanitor
01-19-2019, 01:49 PM
StraitR found me this:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190119/58edf58995606a4b3fcd2e9272ffff36.jpg

small fixed blade carried extra discreetly, and a SAK for general cutting chores?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RevolverRob
01-19-2019, 02:08 PM
Opinel - Opinel - Opinel

HCM
01-19-2019, 02:32 PM
So, I've booked my first ever real vacation (my first longer than a weekend), and I would like to know if anyone has first-hand experience with carrying knives there, both for general use and defense. I'll be with my wife, 5yo son, and my in-laws. There will be lots of eating, package opening, and the like.

Thanks,

Kent

Not sure how they define a “Flick knife”

Also they mention transit passengers so is that for HK in general or in the secure area of HK airport ?

I was there in the 90s (pre turn over) and brought a plain edge Spyderco delica in checked luggage without issues. They sold them there at the time and it’s small enough to reasonably claim it is a standard pocket knife, not a weapon. Worst comes to worst it is cheap enough to discard.

Lots of great food though a bit heavy on the seafood for me. I can do congee for breakfast as long as it is without the fish. At time you could get a beer (Carlson) in McDonald’s.

Totem Polar
01-19-2019, 03:34 PM
Honestly, If you’re going to be there for a while, I’d just pick something up in a shop locally on day 1. That way, you have a reasonbly good chance of being covered legally, plus you have a souvenir that’s not dumb. JMO.

Cookie Monster
01-19-2019, 04:21 PM
I have not much international experience for air travel but I fly domestic a fair amount. I travel carry on only so I always grab a fruit knife in the grocery store or a razor knife at a hardware store as my first errand.

jwperry
01-19-2019, 06:38 PM
I've only been through the airport in HK, but have been to mainland China a few times. Really anything that could be construed as a weapon was a no-no.

I carried a surefire E2D/E2D Ultra and fountain pen when in nice or street clothes.
When in work clothes/boots I'd carry the flashlight and a box cutter or large cutting shears on me. We were working in an area that, in the US, would have been seedy but was very tame and safe.

HK is a different animal than Shanghai or Beijing though.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Joe S
01-20-2019, 04:35 PM
https://www.police.gov.hk/ppp_en/04_crime_matters/cpa/cpa_at_01.html

Sounds like what they are most concerned about are autos, spring-assisted, etc.

theJanitor
01-21-2019, 12:41 PM
thanks, guys. So what's a "Gravity Knife"?

Totem Polar
01-21-2019, 01:09 PM
thanks, guys. So what's a "Gravity Knife"?

Technically, or legally?

theJanitor
01-21-2019, 01:12 PM
Technically, or legally?

Both? I guess? is that term universal?

theJanitor
01-22-2019, 02:00 PM
So, I received some first-hand experience with a fellow knife aficionado about HK (not China) knife carry. and he pointed me to a Strider/Benchmade/Chris Reeve/misc knife dealer in the city. Things are looking up. I might just take a medium SAK, and see if I can snag a strider as a souvenir.

Chance
01-22-2019, 02:43 PM

It's a hairy, ambiguous term. Loosely defined, it's a knife that can be opened with the use of inertia, or just the force of gravity (i.e., falling open when turned upside down). Most folding knives can potentially fit in that category, as they can be opened by "flicking" them with a little practice.

Organizations like Knife Rights (https://kniferights.org/) have been fighting against "gravity knife" legislation in the US for a while now. A lot of people that carry folding knives don't even realize they can be opened in a such a manner, so they periodically found themselves running afoul of local laws without realizing it.

RevolverRob
01-22-2019, 05:10 PM

Technically a knife whose blade deploys solely by the force of gravity, i.e.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5PKkkB_9hc

But "legally" the term has been applied to lots of actual non-gravity knives. NYC holds that any knife which can be "flicked" open by holding the handle (or blade) and flicking the wrist is a "gravity" knife. Texas used to consider butterfly/balisong knives as "gravity" knives, but since amending their legal definitions, there has been judicial clarification. Several states consider butterfly knives, gravity knives, and automatic knives to all be of a kind and often lump them in together, treating the term "gravity knife" to effectively mean "scary looking folding knives".