PDA

View Full Version : New York Reload during civilian self defense shooting

jetfire
03-10-2012, 01:26 PM
Full story here: Suspect killed during armed robbery (http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2012/03/06/2699585/suspect-killed-during-robbery.html)

The interesting tidbit is this:

The store owner shot at Deas (the suspect) until his pistol was empty, police said. Then he (the store owner) removed a second pistol from his belt and shot at Deas until he was on the ground and not moving, the report said. The man returned to the store to call police

Obviously, no mention of the type of firearm used, but I found it interesting that right there is a documented instance of a New York reload during a self-defense encounter. Other interesting bits from the article include that the robber started the assault with his pistol already drawn, but the store owner had also preemptively drawn after observing suspicious activity from the robber's vehicle.

Stuff like this tends to make me glad about my decision to 1) abandon pocket carry and 2) carry as many bullets in my gun as possible.

jmjames
03-10-2012, 01:47 PM
A few days ago I was wondering about the pro/cons of this. Interesting to see it used in a real-world scenario. I am very curious as to the guns used, the distances involved, and other detailed. If the first gun was a double stack in a service caliber, it would really make me wonder how many rounds actually hit the target, where they hit, and what load they were. If it was an LCP or a tiny KelTec, it makes a lot more sense.

J.Ja

Tamara
03-10-2012, 01:53 PM
Did these people not get the memo? Apparently:

The bad guy didn't realize that he was supposed to run away at the sight of the gun, or at least at the sound of the first shot.
The good guy didn't realize that he was supposed to put one round of his premium FelonZapper +P Bonded JHP (with a 98.4% OSS rating!) right between the bad guy's running lights.

If these people would just stick to the script, things would go a lot smoother.

Al T.
03-10-2012, 02:23 PM
Tam, Tam, Tam. Tsk, tsk, tsk, :p

Please note that this occurred in South Kacalacky. We have issues with our former LT Governor* not being able to read, much less this fine young man** so cruelly removed from the herd. As to the inept shooting by the store clerk, it's tough to make those long shots with a Judge. I'm just sayin.... :o

*http://www.wistv.com/story/17112023/lt-gov-ken-ard-resigns

** "Deas' sister, Shaeena Deas, said early Wednesday that their family was shocked by her brother's death.

"He really was changing his life. He loved his family. His kids were his life," Shaeena Deas said her voice full of emotion. "He would sit with his kids and help them do their lessons. He was going to church and trying to do what was right."

:D

jetfire
03-10-2012, 02:27 PM
I saw that bit in the article and just had to laugh, they're always a good church goin' boy just tryin' to do right in a cruel world.

If he was trying to get his life back together, why is he robbing people at gunpoint wearing a mask?

jetfire
03-10-2012, 02:46 PM
I suppose it's better than...uh...slinging crack? I'm not really sure how the criminal ladder works.

fixer
03-10-2012, 02:56 PM
That guy's record is...uh...quite long. I think Deas would have been better off getting into the music industry with all that street cred.

JHC
03-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Back in Dec Ken Hackathorn was reviewing with the class his conclusions from reviews a high volume of FBI records on gunfights. And while he said that if it's a "shooting" with only one party firing, the ave number of rounds fired was like 3; if opposing sides were shooting the number of rounds fired were "as many as the gun held".

ACP230
03-10-2012, 05:39 PM
Mas Ayoob wrote an American Handgunner article on a jewelry store owner who used several guns while fighting off armed robbers in his store in LA.

Also one on a gun store owner in Micanopy, FL used several guns in a fight with robbers who had driven a truck into his store in the middle of the night.
He lived next door and came over after hearing the commotion.
I think he used pistols, a shotgun and an AR (or M16) rifle.

New Yawk, Boston and Philly reload?

Sparks2112
03-11-2012, 09:48 AM
Mas Ayoob wrote an American Handgunner article on a jewelry store owner who used several guns while fighting off armed robbers in his store in LA.

Lance Thomas (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkWgp2abM2w&feature=youtube_gdata_player)

NETim
03-11-2012, 09:53 AM
Most people shoot to feel good, not to apply marksmanship. -- Clint Smith

Blessed are those who, in the face of death, focus on the front sight. - Col. Jeff Cooper

rob_s
03-11-2012, 10:02 AM
Also one on a gun store owner in Micanopy, FL used several guns in a fight with robbers who had driven a truck into his store in the middle of the night.
He lived next door and came over after hearing the commotion.
I think he used pistols, a shotgun and an AR (or M16) rifle.

Harry Beckwith. (http://www.afn.org/~guns/ayoob.html)
Shotgun (unused), M16, S&W subgun

I bought my first gun from him in 1994, and shot at his indoor range frequently when I was in college.

ACP230
03-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Those are the guys I was thinking of.

Johnkard
03-11-2012, 11:46 PM
They say nothing about the distances involved...If this took place at anything over 10 yards, I can easily understand needing that much ammo.

Under pressure, even well trained people tend to score very low hit percentages during a life threatening incident.

Chuck Haggard
03-11-2012, 11:49 PM
My 25 years on the street have taught me a few things, including that one of the very most dangerous things you can possibly do is to have some problems in the past but then just start to get your life straightened out.

That is a death sentence.

Every. Single Time.