PDA

View Full Version : Grip video

cornstalker
01-12-2019, 12:34 PM
I felt like this was an informative and interesting format. Great video!

https://youtu.be/XEBd3ColVJ0

spinmove_
01-12-2019, 01:42 PM
Watched this a bit ago and it indeed has some nuggets in there that I really like. GJM and Hwansik Kim have both been talking about some of the stuff in this video recently which is timely.

It’s definitely helped fix a couple things that I’ve been working on recently and today’s 25yd target postings have reflected that a bit. Those two targets were shot essentially “at the speed of sight” for me currently. In the very recent past those same targets would have been shot much slower and my POIs would have been more dispersed while also being significantly lefter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

miller_man
01-12-2019, 10:06 PM
That was pretty dang good, very informative - and I had heard almost all of that before from the podcasts, but he kind of brought a lot of it all together. I am definitely going to work on some of this - think I can already can see things just messing around with it in dry fire.

cornstalker
01-12-2019, 11:08 PM
I really appreciated the way he compiled the thoughts on the matter from the best of the best. Also, he won me over by starting a YouTube video and not saying "Hey guys".

Doc_Glock
01-12-2019, 11:56 PM
That is a fabulous video. I had actually heard all the clips he featured and it is really nice to have them in one place.

Thanks for sharing.

Simong
01-13-2019, 12:21 AM

I liked this video and I linked it on another thread here few weeks ago.

The main idea is right but the "little" things, everyone is different what works very good for you may not work so good for me.

Everyone should try few different method and stick to what works best for him.

Simong.

Packy
01-13-2019, 12:41 AM
I learned how to grip with the videos of mike seeklander.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Tapatalk

cornstalker
01-13-2019, 01:31 AM

The main idea is right but the "little" things, everyone is different what works very good for you may not work so good for me.

Simong.

I wish I had seen your post. I could have used this info a few weeks ago.

GJM
01-13-2019, 07:34 AM
I love this video. Besides the obvious, one of my main take always is to be flexible in your methods and thinking.

runcible
01-13-2019, 07:44 AM

Simong.

Less towards this topic and more in general...

I don't know how far the rejection of being more in-common than not, really takes any of us farther down the road.

If we arrive at a nuanced and robust technique through methodical exploration of the total breadth of options, that can be acquitted against a control group, and is repeatable across a range of test subjects; and then we ground all valuation in the subjective: why bother in the first place?

cornstalker
01-13-2019, 04:24 PM
Less towards this topic and more in general...

I don't know how far the rejection of being more in-common than not, really takes any of us farther down the road.

If we arrive at a nuanced and robust technique through methodical exploration of the total breadth of options, that can be acquitted against a control group, and is repeatable across a range of test subjects; and then we ground all valuation in the subjective: why bother in the first place?

With all due respect, I would guess that subjective and flexible thinking was the catalyst that started the methodical exploration that lead to the nuanced and robust techniques in the first place. The sport is always advancing due to people being unafraid to break the mold and try something new. Especially when it is as scientifically grounded as the offerings from Hwansik Kim. I was blown away to hear his theories on acceleration and stopping during explosive movement too.

Simong
01-13-2019, 04:36 PM
Jules can you please explain in simpler words what are you trying to say here.

Respectfully...

Simong.

Doc_Glock
01-13-2019, 04:46 PM
After working this dry a bit I realized my current grip, when tight, is biased toward pinching the palms together at the bottom of the back of the grip, rather than the top. This works, but really isn’t the ideal place to be trying to control recoil.

There is a completely different kinesthetic feel when the thumb bases pinch together at the top of the grip, primarily in the deltoids and triceps as I lock in the grip topside by rotating the elbows up.

I can’t wait to try it live fire.

taadski
01-13-2019, 06:30 PM
After working this dry a bit I realized my current grip, when tight, is biased toward pinching the palms together at the bottom of the back of the grip, rather than the top. This works, but really isn’t the ideal place to be trying to control recoil.

There is a completely different kinesthetic feel when the thumb bases pinch together at the top of the grip, primarily in the deltoids and triceps as I lock in the grip topside by rotating the elbows up.

Of note, I think, is that none of the interviewed elite shooters made mention of any lateral "pinching" behavior, or "rolling the elbows up". Those all came from dude in the last few minutes of the video during his dry fire exercise.

GJM
01-13-2019, 08:19 PM
I wonder how much fore and aft pressure, versus on the sides, might help with side deflection with the Glock especially, as well as with other pistols.

After today’s match, I hit the range back home, and did some experimenting with more fore and aft, shooting fast and slow using a tuxedo target, and I had almost zero side to side dispersion.

Doc_Glock
01-14-2019, 12:04 AM
I wonder how much fore and aft pressure, versus on the sides, might help with side deflection with the Glock especially, as well as with other pistols.

After today’s match, I hit the range back home, and did some experimenting with more fore and aft, shooting fast and slow using a tuxedo target, and I had almost zero side to side dispersion.

Do you notice and difference between blocky Glocks and more rounded HKs on the side to side thing?

GJM
01-14-2019, 08:47 AM
Do you notice and difference between blocky Glocks and more rounded HKs on the side to side thing?

I only shoot one platform at a time, so I am not sure since I haven’t shot a Glock since mid November. I used to be curious about those differences, but now I view that sort of thing as a distraction from pushing my skill forward with whatever platform I am focusing on.

GJM
01-14-2019, 09:08 AM
I only shoot one platform at a time, so I am not sure since I haven’t shot a Glock since mid November. I used to be curious about those differences, but now I view that sort of thing as a distraction from pushing my skill forward with whatever platform I am focusing on.

As luck would have it, I just needed to grab my wife’s G4 34 to change out a broken Pro, and the front to back thing feels like it would work well with a Glock. Let’s have some left impacting shooters try this and see if it helps.

CraigS
01-14-2019, 09:17 AM
I really appreciated the way he compiled the thoughts on the matter from the best of the best. Also, he won me over by starting a YouTube video and not saying "Hey guys".
or "Whatsup guys".

randyflycaster
01-14-2019, 10:07 AM
So what is the bottom line: back front grip pressure is better than side to side? I've always wondered how the elite shooters apply pressure. Strangely, few say if they use front to back pressure or side to side.

Randy

GJM
01-14-2019, 10:44 AM
So what is the bottom line: back front grip pressure is better than side to side?

Randy

I think the answer depends on who you speak with and when you speak with them.

taadski
01-14-2019, 11:20 AM
I don't think it's an all or nothing type proposal. There are obviously going to be elements of both. I think we're guilty of jumping headlong into some of these rabbit holes thinking they're going to be an end all.

In my mind, this slides into the same mechanic as "getting more behind the gun", as in having the roots of both thumbs filling the space at the edge of the backstrap. I've noticed that having some push/pull component makes that feel a bit more solid/locked up and seems to cause a bit less tension in the shoulders/chest than trying to do it purely by "squeezing".

It ain't gonna fix your trigger press though. :p

taadski
01-14-2019, 01:49 PM
I did some Facebook and instagram stalking of Mr. Humble Marksman. Aside from having an M card in Production, he's a relatively recent convert to Carry Optics and has some pretty interesting stuff to say. He also expounds personally a bit more on grip stuff in the post below than he did in his video. Check it...

https://www.patreon.com/posts/18979504

41magfan
01-14-2019, 07:04 PM
My gut tells me that if we had a pistol equipped with some sophisticated sensors built into it, we'd find that pressure is being applied to the gun in ways contrary to how the shooter might "feel" or "think" he's applying it.

GJM
01-14-2019, 07:13 PM
Was thinking about this today — if you knew nothing about shooting, how would you deal with muzzle flip, knowing that stance is primary for recoil. Given how a pistol recoils, it seems logical that you would press on the sides enough to keep the gun aligned, but put most of your effort fore and aft to counter the muzzle lifting at the shot?

luckyman
01-14-2019, 07:28 PM
Was thinking about this today — if you knew nothing about shooting, how would you deal with muzzle flip, knowing that stance is primary for recoil. Given how a pistol recoils, it seems logical that you would press on the sides enough to keep the gun aligned, but put most of your effort fore and aft to counter the muzzle lifting at the shot?

Yep. And from a moment arm perspective you’d want the pivot point as close to the barrel axis as possible, which everyone agrees with. And it would also seem the most efficient use of force to counteract recoil would be down at the bottom where your little finger is. But that kinda implies subcompacts like the G26 would be more of a problem to control recoil, and I’m not sure we see that?

I’m trained as a mechanical engineer so not clueless on the subject, but pretty far opt of my lane shooting expertise wise.