PDA

View Full Version : Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act

Gray01
01-11-2019, 10:44 PM
I don't know if this is an inappropriate location for this. Moderator: feel free to move it.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/washington-secrets/cornyn-offers-reciprocity-for-17-million-concealed-carry-permit-holders

BehindBlueI's
01-12-2019, 12:21 PM
Moved to General Discussion.

Stephanie B
01-12-2019, 01:00 PM
That bill is DOA. The Republicans didn’t give a frak about it when they had both sides of Congress.

Damn the iPhone Typos!

Glenn E. Meyer
01-12-2019, 01:06 PM
This is just theater. When the GOP had the House and Senate (I know they didn't have enough votes to beat the filibuster), they did nothing to promote the act or make it a priority. They certainly didn't shut the government down (sarcasm here).

Now there is no chance of any action. It's just so Cornyn can point to this when I send him a message asking for RKBA action. See what I did - send a check.

There is one difference. The Democrats make their gun control measures a priority and they are announced with vigor by their leaders. Pelosi did that as she took the gavel. The GOP doesn't ever do that. They mildly say that they will protect the 2nd Amendment but never prioritize bills or actions that would enhance gun rights. McConnell and Ryan couldn't wait to ditch gun bills, nor would they make them a priority or mention them in important speeches. The best you get is that Kavanaugh might do something.

Send a check.

Drang
01-12-2019, 01:22 PM
That bill is DOA. The Republicans didn’t give a frak about it when they had both sides of Congress.
Because Schumer et. ilk wouldn't have filibustered it in the Senate anyway... :rolleyes:

And even if it HAD passed, how many states do you figure wouldn't have challenged it on states' rights grounds? I figure it would have set a record for President's Signature to Supreme Court.

...The best you get is that Kavanaugh might do something.

Send a check.

I assume you mean "Eventually it will wind up in front of the Supreme Court where the addition of Justice Kavanaugh to the bench will tilt the decision", and not "Bribe Justice Kavanaugh to subvert the Constitution"...?

Glenn E. Meyer
01-12-2019, 01:39 PM
I meant the send a check message I get with every communication that some organization or politician is fighting for the RKBA.

Hilariously, I didn't mean send a check to Kavanaugh. I also doubt that SCOTUS will void the numerous lower court decisions as they will think the state bans are reasonable. State's rights are really irrevelant if you look at the 2nd Amend. as a fundamental right and states cannot overrule it. I think we settled that with the Civil War and McDonald.

McDonald v. Chicago, 561 U.S. 742 (2010), is a landmark decision of the Supreme Court of the United States that found that the right of an individual to "keep and bear arms," as protected under the Second Amendment, is incorporated by the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment against the states.

If they use states rights it is just ploy to ban guns.

About the filibuster, here's the point. They just give up with making the Democrats do that by bringing the bills forward. They don't push it forward as a crucial point of their agenda.

But send a check.

Stephanie B
01-12-2019, 02:18 PM
Because Schumer et. ilk wouldn't have filibustered it in the Senate anyway... :rolleyes:

Filibusters are not a magic bullet. No, what we had were Republicans whining “Oooh, it’s too hard!. They were not even willing to try. No “give us this and we’ll give you that.”

The GOP in the last Congress did nothing. They only say they support 2A issues. They make no effort, deal no favors and don’t do shit. Sign up as co-sponsor on a bill that goes nowhere, get an A rating and the NRA goes away, happy.

At this point, giving money to NRA-ILA is pounding it down a rathole.

Gray01
01-12-2019, 04:26 PM
Filibusters are not a magic bullet.

In the current use, filibusters are less than blanks because they do not even require them to...filibuster. All they do is point a finger and make a pew pew sound.

JHC
01-12-2019, 04:50 PM

Damn the iPhone Typos!

Even less than locking in funds for the Wall. ;)

JHC
01-12-2019, 04:52 PM
Filibusters are not a magic bullet. No, what we had were Republicans whining “Oooh, it’s too hard!. They were not even willing to try. No “give us this and we’ll give you that.”

The GOP in the last Congress did nothing. They only say they support 2A issues. They make no effort, deal no favors and don’t do shit. Sign up as co-sponsor on a bill that goes nowhere, get an A rating and the NRA goes away, happy.

At this point, giving money to NRA-ILA is pounding it down a rathole.

This isn't the NRA's fault wouldn't you agree?

Stephanie B
01-12-2019, 05:02 PM
This isn't the NRA's fault wouldn't you agree?
No. They say they are working for 2A legislation. They didn’t produce results, other than eyewash.

RoyGBiv
01-12-2019, 05:07 PM

Damn the iPhone Typos!

Cornyn is a f-in douche.
He took national reciprocity out of Fix NICS when it (maybe) could have been pushed through via reconciliation.

This dog is DOA. Bread and Circuses.

Maybe I'll run against him next time.

JHC
01-12-2019, 05:10 PM
No. They say they are working for 2A legislation. They didn’t produce results, other than eyewash.

Ok. I can't think of another organization that's done half what the NRA has done these past decades to improve everything what with the concealed carry advancement. But they are the bad guy cause we want to invite the Federal government into the concealed carry laws and discussion. ;)

blues
01-12-2019, 05:33 PM
Ok. I can't think of another organization that's done half what the NRA has done these past decades to improve everything what with the concealed carry advancement. But they are the bad guy cause we want to invite the Federal government into the concealed carry laws and discussion. ;)

Speaking of which, I don't know if this (https://www.nraila.org/articles/20190110/tell-your-members-of-congress-to-oppose-universal-background-check-bills) has been discussed here or elsewhere...

This week two bills were introduced in Congress to impose so-called "universal" background checks. The bills, H.R. 8 and S. 42, are being misleadingly described as simply requiring background checks on all sales of firearms, but this is just a small part of what these overbroad pieces of legislation would do.

Traps for Law-Abiding Gun Owners
Both bills would make it a crime, subject to certain exceptions, to simply hand a firearm to another person. Anytime gun owners carry out this simple act, they would potentially be exposing themselves to criminal penalties. While the bills do create some exceptions, they are overly complicated and create many traps for unwary gun owners. Accidental violations of these complicated provisions are not excused under the proposed legislation.

Expanded Background Checks Don’t Work
Proponents of expanded background checks claim that they want to stop dangerous people from obtaining firearms, but there is no evidence that expanded background checks are useful for this purpose.

Just last year, a study by anti-gun researchers confirmed that expanded background checks in California did not reduce gun homicides or gun suicides.

This finding is consistent with a review of past studies on expanded background checks by the RAND Corporation that found that “evidence of the effect of private-seller background checks on firearm homicides is inconclusive.”

These studies confirm that anti-gun members of Congress aren’t interested in actually addressing violent crime; they’re just trying to deflect the blame on law-abiding gun owners. Please use this link to let your elected officials know that you won’t be blamed for the actions of violent criminals. Ask your Representative and Senators to oppose H.R.8 and S.42. Additionally, you may call your U.S. Representative and U.S. Senators using the Capitol switchboard at 202-224-3121.

RevolverRob
01-12-2019, 05:58 PM
Ok. I can't think of another organization that's done half what the NRA has done these past decades

Second Amendment Foundation.

___

Constitutional carry will not pass in my lifetime, unless there is a substantial cultural shift towards personal responsibility. I can only think of a couple of ways that would happen and none of them are things I'd like to see come to pass (i.e., world war with actual threat to US homeland).

JHC
01-12-2019, 06:58 PM
Second Amendment Foundation.

___

Constitutional carry will not pass in my lifetime, unless there is a substantial cultural shift towards personal responsibility. I can only think of a couple of ways that would happen and none of them are things I'd like to see come to pass (i.e., world war with actual threat to US homeland).

You think? I never thought they struck much fear in the hearts of pols.

Casual Friday
01-12-2019, 07:59 PM
You think? I never thought they struck much fear in the hearts of pols.

Neither does the NRA.

JHC
01-12-2019, 08:30 PM
Neither does the NRA.

The last 20 years suggests differently. Anyone here shifted public policy on this?

Casual Friday
01-12-2019, 08:36 PM
The last 20 years suggests differently. Anyone here shifted public policy on this?

You should go back further than 20 and look at their real track record on supporting gun control measures. You should start at 1934 and work your way forward.

Lex Luthier
01-12-2019, 08:48 PM
I suggest that the history of the NRA as an effective lobbying organization has two eras; 1871-1977, and 1977-present.
How effective they may manage to be from here forward is the big question.

Drang
01-12-2019, 09:07 PM
Timely: Sick of the NRA? Read this. | Duane Liptak with a reality check (https://www.breachbangclear.com/sick-of-the-nra-then-read-this/)

Inkwell 41
01-12-2019, 10:48 PM
Timely: Sick of the NRA? Read this. | Duane Liptak with a reality check (https://www.breachbangclear.com/sick-of-the-nra-then-read-this/)

There is always a part of the story that we don't know. Thanks for posting the link.

RevolverRob
01-12-2019, 11:08 PM
The problem with the NRA is not political influence, it's almost the contrary. The problem with the NRA is that top-down leadership largely appears in-step with a major political party in this country. A party that has not consistently respected its base, stayed on point, or made significant efforts to protect the rights of the people. With each passing year, it appears that the NRA is more of a political tool of the Republican Party than a political tool of American Citizens, and that is wrong.

Liptak can tell us all he wants about how the political system works, he's right, it's not just about screaming the same message. And he's right that screaming doesn't help. But it doesn't change the optics or the reality of the situation. The NRA has an image problem and it's had an image problem for most of my life and certainly all of my adult life. That's an issue and one that isn't being resolved by the continuation of the current leadership, nor the picking of the coffers for executive salaries, nor the constant spam and scare tactics asking for more money.

Damn right it is expensive to buy influence in this country and damn right it is expensive to litigate. Money for that? I have no problem giving.

But WLP and Ollie North shouldn't be profiting from it, period. Neither should anyone else holding an executive position within the NRA. Liptak's point, "They can't leave the NRA and join Patagonia in a leadership role." - So that's the only choice? There isn't any entire firearms industry that wouldn't want to hire WLP if he left the NRA? Fucking puh-lease dude. Liptak isn't leaving MAGPUL for Patagonia either. We make our career decisions and live with the consequences. I don't give a fuck about what Wayne LaPierre's career options are, BUT I'm sure the dude can get a job with another lobbying firm, he has the resume. You accept the position, yes, you're getting underpaid for it, welcome to the motherfucking world of non-fucking-profits. Come hang out with me for a fucking week and see how the other (poor-half) lives working that NPO lifestyle. Then you can probably figure out why the dues paying members of your association are a little motherfucking pissed.

And frankly that's part of the optics problems here. A lack of transparency. Add in a lack of talking points that stay on message and the apparent lock-step of the NRA into the arms of the Republican party. It's all of those things that are wrong. A befuddled message and a lack of clear, firm, and apparent propriety is the real problem.

I don't want to see gun rights further eroded. I recognize that the NRA is a powerful political tool, one that we absolutely need. BUT if the NRA doesn't fix the NRA then it will be they who brought themselves down. Don't tell ME as a member that I have to fix the NRA, especially with more money. From where I sit, it's a fucking leadership problem not a money problem. Liptak needs to take that perception and examine himself and his fellow BOD members. If people are pissed off at the NRA and NRA bashing is going on - that's what we call, "A FUCKING CLUE." And that means that you not only have an image and narrative problem you have a communication problem. But fuck, anyone that's listened to WLP or North talk at any point in the last decade fucking knows that.

Casual Friday
01-13-2019, 07:34 AM
This is the NRA. Look how uncomfortable he is holding that rifle, which ironically is the typical fudd gun bolt action hunting rifle, with no sights or optic. When do you think the last time old Loppy fired a gun, and not for a photo op?

As far as the Liptak article, RevolverRob summed it up pretty well. We're not looking for them to go around shouting "mUh rIgHtS, nOt oNe iNcH". We're looking for them to make headway.

Glenn E. Meyer
01-13-2019, 11:45 AM
I'm with RevolverRob on this. No need to repeat my past messages on the problems of messaging.