PDA

View Full Version : Well, it looks like it won't be Tucson, I've landed in North AZ

DacoRoman
01-09-2019, 05:44 PM
It was going to be Tucson, but instead I've moved to the Sedona area. From what I can tell thus far, I'll have to go to Flagstaff for IDPA/USPSA.

Any suggestions for training/matches in North AZ? Thanks.

JHC
01-09-2019, 06:11 PM
From my limited AZ time that sounds like a win to me

Malamute
01-09-2019, 06:22 PM
Might call around to Cottonwood and Prescott gun shops and see whats happening. Flag has some stuff going on I believe. Be prepared to drive more than you may be used to for social, shopping, and entertainment needs.

Otherwise, I applaud your choice, I wish I could be there. Many good memories of the area. Go have coffee or breakfast at the Coffee Pot restaurant for me. Used to be good, but its been a long time since Ive been there. Lots of good dirt roads and trails to explore. Poor weather is some of the best times to be out hiking, it cuts down on the human activity quite a lot.

I look at the weather there every day, wishing i was there instead of somewhere that it snows. OK, it snows there, but its more decorative snow than serious snow.

1Rangemaster
01-09-2019, 06:34 PM
Well, GUNSITE is right outside of Prescott, AZ; although some may opine that its curriculum is “dated”, it is the first private shooting school, and has many classes to choose from and ranges to run them on. If you have the wherewithal and time, it has to be at the top of any list.
There are other instructors of note in the area, and I’m sure a web search could turn up some options.
GJM: I believe he ventures into AZ for competition, so he may have some suggestions. A search of USPSA/IDPA sites would give one club competition in the area.

Mark D
01-09-2019, 08:49 PM
Congratulations, Sedona looks beautiful.

If you don't mind a 2 hour drive, Payson AZ has some options:

http://tontorimsportsclub.com/PPP/default.php

They have a Steel Challenge match this weekend, and it looks like a USPSA match later in the month.

Practiscore is the best resource I've found for finding clubs and matches in unfamiliar areas. https://practiscore.com/dashboard/home

ncrockclimb
01-09-2019, 08:57 PM
It was going to be Tucson, but instead I've moved to the Sedona area. From what I can tell thus far, I'll have to go to Flagstaff for IDPA/USPSA.

I know a few guys that drive from N AZ / Prescott to shoot at the Thursday night match at Ben Avery. It is located at the northern end of Phoenix and right off I-17. Depending on weather and exactly where you are located, it would be a 1 to 1.5 hr drive. There is also a Wednesday night steel match at CowTown Range that is about 5 min further down the road.

GJM
01-09-2019, 09:02 PM

Prescott USPSA match is first Saturday and third Sunday of the month. They also have IDPA and Steel Challenge. Kingman has USPSA the second Saturday and Steel Challenge the first Sunday of the month. Phoenix area generally has nearly a match every day of the week, and Tuesday Night Steel at Rio Salado has been legendary for like four decades.

DacoRoman
01-09-2019, 10:39 PM
Might call around to Cottonwood and Prescott gun shops and see whats happening. Flag has some stuff going on I believe. Be prepared to drive more than you may be used to for social, shopping, and entertainment needs.

Otherwise, I applaud your choice, I wish I could be there. Many good memories of the area. Go have coffee or breakfast at the Coffee Pot restaurant for me. Used to be good, but its been a long time since Ive been there. Lots of good dirt roads and trails to explore. Poor weather is some of the best times to be out hiking, it cuts down on the human activity quite a lot.

I look at the weather there every day, wishing i was there instead of somewhere that it snows. OK, it snows there, but its more decorative snow than serious snow.

Thank you and thank you for the tips. I'll have to look for the Coffee Pot!

We are in West Sedona and we are a 5 minute drive or less from a Safeway, WholeFoods, multiple convenience/pharmacy shops, and even a movie theater, etc. Between that and Amazon Prime we should be set :)

However, it looks like it will be a bit of a hike for any organized shooting activities, but when I was living in Athens GA I had some driving to do for that sort of stuff as well.

I am super excited to get into the whole Overlanding (remote 4x4 camping) and Hiking lifestyle.

Speaking of snow we came in town via Flagstaff and it was full on SnowMagedon up there, but only wet when we got into Sedona.

DacoRoman
01-09-2019, 10:46 PM
Well, GUNSITE is right outside of Prescott, AZ; although some may opine that its curriculum is “dated”, it is the first private shooting school, and has many classes to choose from and ranges to run them on. If you have the wherewithal and time, it has to be at the top of any list.
There are other instructors of note in the area, and I’m sure a web search could turn up some options.
GJM: I believe he ventures into AZ for competition, so he may have some suggestions. A search of USPSA/IDPA sites would give one club competition in the area.

Yeah, I know what you mean about Gunsite..I have mixed feelings about it..but I may check it out. At this point I will have the time to get back into consistent shooting practice again, and want to start doing daily dry fire practice, with live fire twice a month and just start doing a monthly IDPA or maybe USPSA match, and perhaps forgo my habit of a yearly class and then practice that was too sporadic, or was feast or famine type of practice.

My search of the inter webs has turned up:

http://flagstaffactionshooters.org/uspsa

they seem to have both idpa and uspsa.

DacoRoman
01-09-2019, 10:49 PM
Congratulations, Sedona looks beautiful.

If you don't mind a 2 hour drive, Payson AZ has some options:

http://tontorimsportsclub.com/PPP/default.php

They have a Steel Challenge match this weekend, and it looks like a USPSA match later in the month.

Practiscore is the best resource I've found for finding clubs and matches in unfamiliar areas. https://practiscore.com/dashboard/home

Thank you!

I may not mind a 2 hour drive, as I was doing 1:30 to 2 hour drives for stuff like that when I was living in GA. At this point Flagstaff and maybe Prescott are looking like the best bets though.

DacoRoman
01-09-2019, 10:50 PM
I know a few guys that drive from N AZ / Prescott to shoot at the Thursday night match at Ben Avery. It is located at the northern end of Phoenix and right off I-17. Depending on weather and exactly where you are located, it would be a 1 to 1.5 hr drive. There is also a Wednesday night steel match at CowTown Range that is about 5 min further down the road.

Another great tip. Thank you very much.

DacoRoman
01-09-2019, 10:52 PM
Prescott USPSA match is first Saturday and third Sunday of the month. They also have IDPA and Steel Challenge. Kingman has USPSA the second Saturday and Steel Challenge the first Sunday of the month. Phoenix area generally has nearly a match every day of the week, and Tuesday Night Steel at Rio Salado has been legendary for like four decades.

OK, lots of options! So it looks like all I need to do is to just get my ass in gear and make it happen. Flagstaff and Prescott will be the closest options, but I may go down toward Phoenix as well. I need to look up where Rio Salado is! Many Thanks.

GJM
01-09-2019, 10:56 PM
OK, lots of options! So it looks like all I need to do is to just get my ass in gear and make it happen. Flagstaff and Prescott will be the closest options, but I may go down toward Phoenix as well. I need to look up where Rio Salado is! Many Thanks.

Flagstaff will be WAY colder in the winter months! I don’t believe Flagstaff is nearly as active as other USPSA clubs, due to the number of shooters and I believe their monthly match conflicts with Kingman, which is better attended.

DacoRoman
01-09-2019, 11:04 PM
Flagstaff will be WAY colder in the winter months! I don’t believe Flagstaff is nearly as active as other USPSA clubs, due to the number of shooters and I believe their monthly match conflicts with Kingman, which is better attended.

Yeah Flagstaff was totally snowed over a few days ago when I drove into Sedona on Jan 6th! So yeah I need an alternative during the snow season for sure. Kingman may be out of my range as it is about a 3 hour drive unfortunately.

EDIT:

I've found this in Prescott: http://yavapairecreationleague.net

So maybe Prescott, and Phoenix may be the best bets overall. Well except when it is super hot in the summer I think I'll be avoiding Phoenix! Flagstaff is the closest at around 45min so season permitting I'll probably check it out as well.

Lester Polfus
01-09-2019, 11:08 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean about Gunsite..I have mixed feelings about it..but I may check it out.

The comments about Gunsite being "dated" probably have some validity, and if I lived that close, I'd be there in a hot minute.

There are plenty of good people who put bad people in the ground and went home to their families to eat a nice steak dinner using that dated curriculum.

What I've found is that 80% to 90% of shooting school curriculums are fundamentally the same, and people love to argue about the differences on the internet.

Drang
01-10-2019, 01:37 AM
The comments about Gunsite being "dated" probably have some validity,...

Gabe White's Pistol Shooting Solutions, Phoenix, January 5-6, 2019. (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?34580-Gabe-White-s-Pistol-Shooting-Solutions-Phoenix-January-5-6-2019)

...Ken Campbell is the COO of Gunsite and an absolute gentleman. You would never picture him as a guy who has smoked some bad guys in his days as an Indiana sheriff. When I asked him how dogmatic is Gunsite these days in regards to the Cooper doctrine. He said Gunsite was “evolving” as evidenced by sending 3 instructors to learn from Gabe...

FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc.

Coyotesfan97
01-10-2019, 04:27 AM
Rio Salado Sportman’s Club is at 3960 N Usery Pass Rd Mesa/Maricopa County. It’s north of Mesa. Google Maps say it’s about a two and a half hour drive from Sedona.

GJM
01-10-2019, 04:52 AM
The comments about Gunsite being "dated" probably have some validity, and if I lived that close, I'd be there in a hot minute.

There are plenty of good people who put bad people in the ground and went home to their families to eat a nice steak dinner using that dated curriculum.

What I've found is that 80% to 90% of shooting school curriculums are fundamentally the same, and people love to argue about the differences on the internet.

Gunsite, besides being the birthplace of much of Modern Shooting technique, has the best facility of any school I have been to. My wife and I are taking Precision Rifle there in April. The Gunsite family and spirit of Gunsite are world class. Attending a GAS (Gunsite Alumni Shoot) match in the fall is an awesome experience.

Doc_Glock
01-10-2019, 09:03 AM
I am super excited to get into the whole Overlanding (remote 4x4 camping) and Hiking lifestyle.

Sedona is world class for both the above. Add in mountain biking and you will have little time to shoot!

GJM
01-10-2019, 09:16 AM
Sedona is world class for both the above. Add in mountain biking and you will have little time to shoot!

Don’t forget the zen, spiritual and energy vortices of Sedona!

ST911
01-10-2019, 09:28 AM
Gunsite is on my bucket list, possibly 2019. Debriefing those that have gone (250, mostly) they all focus on the overall "Gunsite experience" more than anything else. Those that went with existing skill/methods were taught the "modern technique" but were not compelled to change if they were safe and effective. Nothing they described learning was bad, just some dated/different operations of the gun. Also said- having 250 in their back pocket had better standing and made them more persuasive in some crowds.

I'd like to hear feedback on the Colorado offsite classes, here: https://www.gunsite.com/mobile-training-team/colorado-offsite-classes-2/). Anyone been?

1911Nut
01-10-2019, 11:29 AM
As long as we're mentioning AZ clubs for IDPA shooting, don't forget about Phoenix Rod & Gun Club. They host several IDPA matches every month, and from Sedona are about the same drive time as Rio Salado Sportsman's Club.

DacoRoman
01-10-2019, 03:54 PM

Yeah I tend to agree, so long as they are now teaching modern thumbs forward isosceles derived techniques and not pushing Weaver, or some such, still.

I just looked at their classes though and what's got me intrigued is their Battle Rifle and Precision Rifle classes! I just purchased an LMT MWS .308 and a NF 4-16 power ATACR scope and man oh man I'm way digging the prospect of taking those classes!

p.s. Are into Les Pauls?

DacoRoman
01-10-2019, 03:59 PM
Gunsite, besides being the birthplace of much of Modern Shooting technique, has the best facility of any school I have been to. My wife and I are taking Precision Rifle there in April. The Gunsite family and spirit of Gunsite are world class. Attending a GAS (Gunsite Alumni Shoot) match in the fall is an awesome experience.

Yeah, I just saw the battle rifle and precision rifle classes! I only have a 16" barrel for my LMT MWS .308 so I guess Battle Rifle would be more appropriate for me at this point? I've shot a 16" 556 gun out to 500 yards, couldn't make the 600 yard shot hits, with a 1-5x Burris XTRII, so extrapolating from that I'm thinking that my 16" .308 would be more of a 600-800 yard gun, but 1000 may be stretching it. What do you think?

You are a lucky man to get your wife to go to a shooting course with you! I've only managed to take my wife to a Dr. William Aprill lecture.

DacoRoman
01-10-2019, 04:09 PM

Yeah, I also want to get into all the mountain biking my soon to be 50 year old physique could handle! Nothing too extreme though, like those wild people careening off the sides of mountains with their bikes, yikes

And...yep, my wife is a Yoga teacher and is all over that transcendental meditation and energy vortex stuff! We'll be checking out the hot spots soon I'm sure!
My only regret now is that I don't have any land where I could shoot or else I'd have you fellas over for some Sedona Energy Vortex Tactical Training Sessions! :D

DacoRoman
01-10-2019, 04:11 PM
Gunsite is on my bucket list, possibly 2019. Debriefing those that have gone (250, mostly) they all focus on the overall "Gunsite experience" more than anything else. Those that went with existing skill/methods were taught the "modern technique" but were not compelled to change if they were safe and effective. Nothing they described learning was bad, just some dated/different operations of the gun. Also said- having 250 in their back pocket had better standing and made them more persuasive in some crowds.

I'd like to hear feedback on the Colorado offsite classes, here: https://www.gunsite.com/mobile-training-team/colorado-offsite-classes-2/). Anyone been?

Very interesting indeed. Thanks for the intel!

DacoRoman
01-10-2019, 04:16 PM
As long as we're mentioning AZ clubs for IDPA shooting, don't forget about Phoenix Rod & Gun Club. They host several IDPA matches every month, and from Sedona are about the same drive time as Rio Salado Sportsman's Club.

Well a 2 hour trip to Phoenix once a month isn't too bad at all for a superlative match experience I suppose!

jlw
01-10-2019, 04:35 PM
I'll say this for Gunsite:

They had four instructors in the class I took at Rogers. They had numerous instructors attend the Rangemaster NWTacCon. Several took Gabe White's class this past week. While they are obviously tied to the Gunsite doctrine, they aren't shutting themselves out to other stuff out there. Ken Campbell states that the doctrine is evolving.

I took a class (Shotgun 260) at Gunsite this past October. I'm hoping to back for a pistol class there. Even if you find yourself at odds with some doctrinal things, their facilities offer opportunities that you just don't get on the travel circuit.

As for the temperature difference mentioned above, I left Paulden in mid-afternoon, and the temp was in the 60s. An hour and a half later when I stopped in Flagstaff, the temp was in the low 40s.

Sedona is also only an hour and a half away from Ben Avery in the Phoenix area; so, there are plenty of training options available.

Drang
01-10-2019, 04:37 PM

Only place I was ever airsick was about 1000' AGL over Sedona...

JustOneGun
01-10-2019, 05:16 PM

I still have red dirt in the family tent from Sedona. Just doesn't go away.

GJM
01-10-2019, 07:37 PM
I have maintained for some years that if I had a young shooter that I wanted to start off with the best possible training, I would send them first to a Rogers Basic Class and then to 250 at Gunsite, to learn mindset.

My wife and I took our first class, API 270 the rifle class taught by Jeff Cooper, in 1991 before we went to Botswana hunting on our honeymoon, so we have a long association. Their facility is incredible, and for experienced shooters I would pass on the pistol classes and take the facility intensive classes like carbine (223 and 556), rifle (270), shotgun (260), Precision Rifle, and the various specialty classes.

DacoRoman
01-10-2019, 11:40 PM
I'll say this for Gunsite:

They had four instructors in the class I took at Rogers. They had numerous instructors attend the Rangemaster NWTacCon. Several took Gabe White's class this past week. While they are obviously tied to the Gunsite doctrine, they aren't shutting themselves out to other stuff out there. Ken Campbell states that the doctrine is evolving.

I took a class (Shotgun 260) at Gunsite this past October. I'm hoping to back for a pistol class there. Even if you find yourself at odds with some doctrinal things, their facilities offer opportunities that you just don't get on the travel circuit.

As for the temperature difference mentioned above, I left Paulden in mid-afternoon, and the temp was in the 60s. An hour and a half later when I stopped in Flagstaff, the temp was in the low 40s.

Sedona is also only an hour and a half away from Ben Avery in the Phoenix area; so, there are plenty of training options available.

Thank you very much for the input, good to know that they are well versed in the other "more evolved" approaches as well. And you know, if nothing else Gunsite is sort of like a historical landmark so it bears visiting for sure, or just to experience the world class facilities.
As far as Gabe White, sadly I missed his class when he first came to N. GA, as I was living in Athens GA at the time.

I think Ben Avery is a must visit for me for sure!

DacoRoman
01-10-2019, 11:41 PM
Only place I was ever airsick was about 1000' AGL over Sedona...

Where you in a plane or hiking?!

DacoRoman
01-10-2019, 11:41 PM
I still have red dirt in the family tent from Sedona. Just doesn't go away.

Vortex dirt :)

DacoRoman
01-10-2019, 11:47 PM
I have maintained for some years that if I had a young shooter that I wanted to start off with the best possible training, I would send them first to a Rogers Basic Class and then to 250 at Gunsite, to learn mindset.

My wife and I took our first class, API 270 the rifle class taught by Jeff Cooper, in 1991 before we went to Botswana hunting on our honeymoon, so we have a long association. Their facility is incredible, and for experienced shooters I would pass on the pistol classes and take the facility intensive classes like carbine (223 and 556), rifle (270), shotgun (260), Precision Rifle, and the various specialty classes.

Good to know for sure, and since I've got a few pistol and 556 carbine classes under my belt with other trainers, I've got my eye on Battle Rifle to start with, but it is a 5 day class so that may be time prohibitive, but I am definitely keeping that in mind.

jlw
01-11-2019, 12:33 AM
Thank you very much for the input, good to know that they are well versed in the other "more evolved" approaches as well. And you know, if nothing else Gunsite is sort of like a historical landmark so it bears visiting for sure, or just to experience the world class facilities.
As far as Gabe White, sadly I missed his class when he first came to N. GA, as I was living in Athens GA at the time.

I think Ben Avery is a must visit for me for sure!

In the classroom in which my class was held, some of Jeff Cooper's course manuals were in a display case along with a bunch of memorabilia.

Drang
01-11-2019, 12:48 AM
Where you in a plane or hiking?!

EH60 out of Huachuca.
And I swear it was more than 12 hours "bottle to throttle." OTOH, they were pushing to get me through the training, in the face of some nasty weather. I still maintain I would have been okay if the PC (who was also the OIC of the course) hadn't cracked open that can of dip...

DacoRoman
01-11-2019, 02:09 PM
In the classroom in which my class was held, some of Jeff Cooper's course manuals were in a display case along with a bunch of memorabilia.

He was a charismatic warrior philosopher for sure and to be venerated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGYttXa0d1k

DacoRoman
01-11-2019, 02:14 PM
EH60 out of Huachuca.
And I swear it was more than 12 hours "bottle to throttle." OTOH, they were pushing to get me through the training, in the face of some nasty weather. I still maintain I would have been okay if the PC (who was also the OIC of the course) hadn't cracked open that can of dip...

Very Cool..
But that dip will get 'ya I tell you!

Malamute
01-11-2019, 05:15 PM
EH60 out of Huachuca.

Used to see and hear Hueys out of NAD around Sedona and the Verde. I always loved the sound of Hueys.

Drang
01-11-2019, 07:08 PM
EH60 out of Huachuca.

Fun fact: the airfield at Huachuca was built to handle fully loaded B52s, and is was a designated landing strip for the Space Shuttle.

Used to see and hear Hueys out of NAD around Sedona and the Verde. I always loved the sound of Hueys.

Helicopters don't really fly, they just beat the air into submission.
A Blackhawk does it better than a Huey, which is why, with a Blackhawk, you can hear the air scream...

DacoRoman
01-11-2019, 09:34 PM
Fun fact: the airfield at Huachuca was built to handle fully loaded B52s, and is was a designated landing strip for the Space Shuttle.

Helicopters don't really fly, they just beat the air into submission.
A Blackhawk does it better than a Huey, which is why, with a Blackhawk, you can hear the air scream...

Helicopters are fascinating. I wish I had a Little Bird and knew how to fly it around here...it would be amazing.

GJM
01-11-2019, 10:47 PM
Helicopters are fascinating. I wish I had a Little Bird and knew how to fly it around here...it would be amazing.

I used to fly a 530F, which is the civilian equivalent of a Little Bird.

revchuck38
01-12-2019, 10:52 AM

Probably had 20mm miniguns on it because the 7.62mm versions weren’t effective on bears...

Doc_Glock
01-12-2019, 11:51 AM

Magnum PI.

DacoRoman
01-12-2019, 02:06 PM

Super cool. One of my life's regrets is that I didn't get the opportunity to learn to fly, esp. helicopters. Maybe I'll get a drone when they have a virtual reality helmet you can use to fly it :D

MistWolf
01-12-2019, 04:10 PM
One of the best gunshops I've ever been to is Horizon Shooters in Flagstaff. Years ago, when I lived in Tuscyan (not to be confused with Tucson) Horizon Shooters was a regular stop when we went to town to pick up groceries for the month. The owner was well connected in the local machinegun scene. I got to look at many different types of machineguns that passed through his shop. One that I wish I got photos of was a pristine M14 that used to be part of the Harrington-Richardson museum.

GJM
01-12-2019, 05:02 PM

Here it is.

DacoRoman
01-12-2019, 07:48 PM
One of the best gunshops I've ever been to is Horizon Shooters in Flagstaff. Years ago, when I lived in Tuscyan (not to be confused with Tucson) Horizon Shooters was a regular stop when we went to town to pick up groceries for the month. The owner was well connected in the local machinegun scene. I got to look at many different types of machineguns that passed through his shop. One that I wish I got photos of was a pristine M14 that used to be part of the Harrington-Richardson museum.

Great news! I'll go check it out for sure. Thanks for the reference!

DacoRoman
01-12-2019, 08:13 PM
Here it is.

Superb machine!

Balisong
01-21-2019, 12:45 PM
Congrats on the move. Sedona is stunning, and the girlfriend and I had considered moving there. We tend to spend a long weekend up there for her birthday and/or our anniversary. Your shooting club questions have already been answered, but in case you are interested, Dahl and Deluca is the best italian restaurant I've ever been to in my life. It's great for special occasions. Lisa Dahl is an amazing chef and she has several restaurants in Sedona. She recently competed very well on "Beat Bobby Flay." We always do a nice dinner there, as well as a great lunch at another of her gorgeous restaurants, Mariposa. Burgers are great there and the patio has an outstanding view.

Welcome to Arizona!

DacoRoman
01-23-2019, 12:46 AM
Congrats on the move. Sedona is stunning, and the girlfriend and I had considered moving there. We tend to spend a long weekend up there for her birthday and/or our anniversary. Your shooting club questions have already been answered, but in case you are interested, Dahl and Deluca is the best italian restaurant I've ever been to in my life. It's great for special occasions. Lisa Dahl is an amazing chef and she has several restaurants in Sedona. She recently competed very well on "Beat Bobby Flay." We always do a nice dinner there, as well as a great lunch at another of her gorgeous restaurants, Mariposa. Burgers are great there and the patio has an outstanding view.

Welcome to Arizona!

Many thanks for the well wishes and restaurant suggestions! I’ll definitely check both places out!