PDA

View Full Version : How unsafe is it to shoot alone.

Johnkard
03-10-2012, 05:46 AM
So I finally received the Sig p266 Tac Ops I had decided upon as my new primary. The gun is Beautiful, So much so that i may never (want to) change the trigger or grip.

At this moment, I am going out of my mind trying to find time to go out and shoot it for the first time, Unfortunately over the next two weeks, there's no way I can get one of my regular shooting companions to go out to my cabin (where I usually do my shooting). My philosophy has always been that like hiking, swimming, etc...Shooting is something best done in the company of another living human in case something unexpected goes wrong.

The temptation of shooting this particular gun (and no, I can't stand indoor or controlled out-door ranges. I need to set up at least 3 silouettes and have at) is beginning to pry at my previous convictions.

Any good Samaritan willing to talk me out of this, now's you're time to shine.

Al T.
03-10-2012, 09:49 AM
I prefer to shoot alone frankly. Do what I want at my pace.

Carry a good first aid kit (blow out kit), keep the cell phone charged up and on your person, let someone know where you are and wear electronic ear pro.

NETim
03-10-2012, 10:06 AM
I prefer to shoot alone frankly. Do what I want at my pace.

Carry a good first aid kit (blow out kit), keep the cell phone charged up and on your person, let someone know where you are and wear electronic ear pro.

+1

I hate it when the know-it-all FUDDS show up while I'm there. I get to hear all sorts of wisdom emanating from their lips.

Clever things like:

Oh, are you playing cops n' robbers again?

You can always tell a .45 shooter. They're always looking for their brass.

Why do you guys shoot so fast?

Anybody can hit a target 3 yards away!

I'll give ya $50 for that gun yuck yuck yuck (while eyeballing my '41 Winchester 63 Deluxe.)

Never fails to impress me.

Of course, the originator of this unasked for wisdom is a major genius and knows everything about firearms.

I particularly enjoyed his "Put One Over The Berm" show one day at the range as he moved his ratty old Remington rolling block .22 (which he assures me is worth a small fortune) into position on the sandbags with his finger on the trigger.

Yes, he is eminently qualified.

I like shooting alone. No experts around to bother me.

JodyH
03-10-2012, 10:28 AM
I shoot alone the majority of the time.
Cell phone and blow out kit are always nearby.
I always keep a loaded concealed gun on my person (usually a Kahr PM9 in my pocket).
Be hyper-aware of your fundamental safety rules and keep an eye on your surroundings for shady people.

DocGKR
03-10-2012, 10:42 AM
I strongly prefer to shoot alone or with vetted shooters in controlled access locations.

However...don't shoot yourself. As noted, have nearby IFAK/BOK and cel phone--like within arms reach.

Also, if not in a controlled access location, be wary of criminals who might attempt to steal your firearms. Always carry a loaded firearm available for self-defense.

HeadHunter
03-10-2012, 10:50 AM
Keep a hideout gun on you and don't shoot yourself.

Tamara
03-10-2012, 11:02 AM
I was going to say "Keep a cell phone and blowout kit handy, and make sure you've always got a loaded gun on," but all the smart people have already said that.

Al T. brings up a good point that electronic muffs aren't just for when you need to talk to somebody; when you're shooting alone they help you remain aware of your surroundings.

secondstoryguy
03-10-2012, 11:07 AM
Alone or with a VERY good friend. The Fudds drag me down, never fails to have some guy that won't leave me the hell alone and test the limits of my manners.

CCT125US
03-10-2012, 12:02 PM
Wow times like these remind me of how fortunate I have been. Always having a private range and no "experts" to worry about..... I will echo the advice given already and told to me by my father. Always have a loaded gun and don't leave anything behind you that can be used against you, such as a long gun. Never shoot all your ammo and if someone does make there way to the range they ain't there looking for gas or directions.

fixer
03-10-2012, 03:11 PM
How safe?

If you are punching paper and not testing the ballistic strength of various household objects at close range or some other youtube quality disaster waiting to happen, then shooting alone is quite safe to preferred. You don't have to worry about dealing with other people.

JHC
03-10-2012, 03:16 PM
Hackathorn repeated many times about one drill or technique or another during our class "Is this dangerous? YES. Is it unsafe? No. Not if you do it right." Shooting alone case in point. I mostly shoot alone too. And I almost exclusively hunt alone to and that's probably more dangerous than shooting alone. But what ya gonna do? Give up driving too?

Suvorov
03-10-2012, 03:18 PM
Just another guy to add to list of those who prefer to shoot alone or with select others who are foulup resistant.

Shooting on your own is at LEAST as safe as shooting at a public range amongst the throngs of Fudds and Mall Ninjas.

orionz06
03-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Alone or with shooters I know. If I walk down range on a rifle range it is with a rifle and the other guns locked in the car.

LOKNLOD
03-10-2012, 04:17 PM
I usually shoot alone. When it don't, it's typically with just one of a few guys I trust. I spent a good chunk of my youth wandering alone in the woods with guns so being alone with them doesn't scare me. However, annoying people make me went to bash them in the head with a rock.

This depends on the configuration of your range facilities, but I always go to a private bay that I can pull right up to, so this has become my ritual: I've taken to backing in, leaving the keys in the ignition, and the drivers window rolled down (so they can't be locked in by accident). Aside from freeing up the pocket usually full of keys to hold some empty mags or something, I figure if I were to have an accident and need to drag my bleeding carcass at least to the range gate, I won't have to mess with finding, retrieving, or fumbling with keys. And even though it can be distracting/annoying for people to call, I keep my phone on me an accessible, just in case. With the range gate usually locked, being able to meet an ambulance at the gate would be helpful. Also, I try to at least keep the gun loaded or a mag loaded just in case I was to need to defend myself. There have been plenty of cases of people getting robbed of guns while at the range and unaware.

LHS
03-10-2012, 06:07 PM
I long ago gave up shooting at 'public' ranges full of idiots. But lacking any land of my own, that means I have to go out into the desert, and it's not unknown to have rip-off crews looking for shooters to rob a la Platt & Matix. Thus, I never go shooting alone, or as the sole 'switched-on' shooter (for example, if I'm bringing a new shooter out). I prefer to have a minimum of two dialed-in friends with me, if only so that one guy can concentrate on a drill, one on the timer, and one on situational awareness.

I always keep at least one loaded SD blaster on hand, and a magazine of defensive ammo for my carbine in a back pocket. Better safe than sorry.

Serenity
03-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Hmm, this is good. Now I have an excuse to buy the Howard Leights right away :cool: I guess I should look at my shooting alone routine. I shoot at an isolated club-owned outdoor range. People have to have a key to get in, and now (due to some damage) there are game cameras. (I'm pretty sure I gave one of them some pretty good plumber's crack yesterday, too.) But the fact that there has been vandalism shows that the area isn't perfectly secured, so I need to be more careful.