PDA

View Full Version : Training classes coming to NC Triad Area

Steve m
01-04-2019, 11:45 AM
Does anyone know of any reputable pistol training classes coming to the NC Triad area (around Raleigh or Fayetteville NC) in 2019?

Thanks
Steve

CLaw
03-09-2019, 08:24 AM
I would love to know as well. I’d really like to take a few classes without having to travel far.

Wake27
03-09-2019, 08:34 AM
I assume you’ve already tried The Range Complex?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David S.
03-09-2019, 09:15 AM
Can you guys be more specific on what you’re looking for? What type of class (general shooting, Personal defense tactics, competition, etc)? What level class (beginner, intermediate, advanced)? How far are you willing to travel?

That’s typically a pretty busy area. I’m sure we can help you find something.

CLaw
03-10-2019, 08:30 AM
Can you guys be more specific on what you’re looking for? What type of class (general shooting, Personal defense tactics, competition, etc)? What level class (beginner, intermediate, advanced)? How far are you willing to travel?

Personal defense and ccw for me. I would mind something geared more towards completion or just shooting performance though. While I was in the military and carried a gun daily, I’ve been out for a few years now and just recently got my ccw. I’d like to be responsible and start getting some training. I’d like to start with some beginner level classes and move up. I don’t want like state ccw course though. I felt that was largely a waste. :( I’m east of that area, but would be willing to drive most anywhere in NC and parts of SC.

Modern Samurai Project has a class coming up in NC, but I don’t have a reddot gun. Would still love to attend is AIWB first day if I can work it out with him. I may not be ready for that class yet though.

CLaw
03-10-2019, 08:45 AM

Checked out your website. Looks like their are two coming up in SC that isn’t to far from me. Cool website by the way!

CONTEXTUAL HANDGUN: THE ARMED PARENT/GUARDIAN

COMBATIVE PISTOL

It would be nice to find something more local that would perhaps prepare me more for these “fundamental handgun courses” to use your description on your site.

I think Bryan Eastridge has mentioned doing some training to bridge this gap. Anyone know someone in the area of NC that hosts trainers? I’d sign up for a session with Bryan for sure.

jlw
03-10-2019, 09:48 AM
I try to keep track of the national "names" schedules, and other than the SpecOps types doing classes in the Fort Bragg area, there does not appear to be much activity in NC. There was a group around Kings Mountain that brought in some people a few years ago, but that quickly faded (or I just am missing the announcements).

The Panteo facility just outside of Columbia, SC, and Shootlogic near Charleston regularly host stuff.

David S.
03-10-2019, 12:03 PM
Glad you like the site. It's currently being built up by a real web developer. I'm hoping to have the new site up and running in the next month or so. In the mean time, I've let the database lag because it updates don't transfer to to the new site. Anyway, I'm glad you found some useful info.

I'll keep an eye out for more training opportunities in your region. In my opinion, someone just starting out in the personal defense lifestyle should make a concerted effort to train with John Murphy at FPF Training (Northern VA and starting to travel) and Tom Givens at Rangemaster. Both will get you a solid base in the Combat Triad. Both of the classes you've selected should are good choices as well.

You definitely need to be safe with a gun and probably just need to be reasonably competent at drawing from the holster to qualify for the two classes listed. Same goes for FPF Training and Rangemaster classes. Rangemaster probably has certified instructors near you to help get you squared away with that kind stuff if you need.

Checked out your website. Looks like their are two coming up in SC that isn’t to far from me. Cool website by the way!

COMBATIVE PISTOL

It would be nice to find something more local that would perhaps prepare me more for these “fundamental handgun courses” to use your description on your site.

I think Bryan Eastridge has mentioned doing some training to bridge this gap. Anyone know someone in the area of NC that hosts trainers? I’d sign up for a session with Bryan for sure.

David S.
03-10-2019, 12:08 PM
Modern Samurai Project has a class coming up in NC, but I don’t have a reddot gun. Would still love to attend is AIWB first day if I can work it out with him. I may not be ready for that class yet though.

AsianJedi seems pretty well tuned into this area.

Any suggestions for Raleigh / Fayetteville area instructors for these guys?

flyrodr
03-10-2019, 06:09 PM
The Range Complex (Fayetteville) offers Level 1 Pistol on June 22, Home Defense/Low Light Pistol on July 20.

Triangle Shooting Academy (Raleigh) offers classes in various areas and at various levels pretty much all the time, as well as private instruction.

Chris Tilley (4 times USPSA Nat'l Open Champion) (Raleigh) offers various competition-focused courses.

Ernest Langdon is offering his 3-day Advanced Course at Shoot Logic in April.

Probably others.

CLaw
03-10-2019, 08:33 PM
The Range Complex (Fayetteville) offers Level 1 Pistol on June 22, Home Defense/Low Light Pistol on July 20.

Triangle Shooting Academy (Raleigh) offers classes in various areas and at various levels pretty much all the time, as well as private instruction.

Chris Tilley (4 times USPSA Nat'l Open Champion) (Raleigh) offers various competition-focused courses.

Ernest Langdon is offering his 3-day Advanced Course at Shoot Logic in April.

Probably others.

I wish I felt competent enough to take that Langdon course. 😱

I’ll take a look at the range complex and triangle shooting academy.

jlw
03-10-2019, 09:35 PM
Does anyone know of any reputable pistol training classes coming to the NC Triad area (around Raleigh or Fayetteville NC) in 2019?

Thanks
Steve

I would love to know as well. I’d really like to take a few classes without having to travel far.

In order for classes to come to an area, they have to have a local host. There has to be someone on the ground securing the range, getting out the word to local shooters, etc.

Bryan Eastridge
04-15-2019, 04:00 AM

COMBATIVE PISTOL

Claw I’ll be there in June it is confirmed now. It is in the Lillington area at a private facility. Doing 2 days and a very affordable class here is the eventbrite link

https://www.eventbrite.com/o/mike-burgess-19991573235

CLaw
04-16-2019, 07:18 PM
Claw I’ll be there in June it is confirmed now. It is in the Lillington area at a private facility. Doing 2 days and a very affordable class here is the eventbrite link

https://www.eventbrite.com/o/mike-burgess-19991573235

Thank you! Signed up.

Amp
06-20-2019, 07:36 PM
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?37151-Larry-Vickers-Advanced-Pistol-New-Hill-NC-Sept-21-22-2019

David S.
06-21-2019, 07:55 AM
We just added Greer Group Training (http://greergrouptraining.com/) based on some second hand recommendations. They do concealed carry, vehicle and low light training at a police range in Brunswick, NC.

JRV
10-26-2019, 04:00 PM
Ok, so I got all excited when I saw this thread, but it turns out it's all referring to the Triangle and Fayetteville.

What about in the actual Triad?

I am aware of some local schools that apparently offer more intensive classes than the local indoor ranges, but I have never heard from anyone with any experience at those places, and the websites are... not really rich on info (instructor backgrounds or student skill level expectations).

I will certainly travel across the state for a high-profile trainer, but I am hesitant to drop a couple bennies sight unseen and end up in a glorified CCW class taught by an average shooter.

flyrodr
10-26-2019, 06:25 PM
Aimee Langdon has told me that Ernest will be holding his Advanced Tactical Pistol Skills class beginning October 11, 2020 at Carolina Guns and Gear Range outside Asheboro, NC. The website hasn't been updated with the 2020 classes yet, but should be pretty soon.

I'd expect that class will fill up fast. Hopefully, I'm already penciled in.

CWM11B
10-29-2019, 06:04 PM
Aimee Langdon has told me that Ernest will be holding his Advanced Tactical Pistol Skills class beginning October 11, 2020 at Carolina Guns and Gear Range outside Asheboro, NC. The website hasn't been updated with the 2020 classes yet, but should be pretty soon.

I'd expect that class will fill up fast. Hopefully, I'm already penciled in.

Thanks for the heads up. LTT has been on my list for a while. Asheboro is a stupid easy drive for me AND I have an unused coupon with my PX4CC...

flyrodr
10-29-2019, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the heads up. LTT has been on my list for a while. Asheboro is a stupid easy drive for me AND I have an unused coupon with my PX4CC...

Well then, pretty much an easy decision!

rcbusmc24
10-29-2019, 08:22 PM
We just added Greer Group Training (http://greergrouptraining.com/) based on some second hand recommendations. They do concealed carry, vehicle and low light training at a police range in Brunswick, NC.

The guys running Greer Group are good friends, regularly do the Eastern NC USPSA circuit with them on the weekends. Been through most of their stuff down at Brunswick and it's good to go. I will wholeheartedly recommend their classes.

Plus I managed to get one of them onto the LTT Beretta train so that's a bonus as well...