PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 92 primer

ASH556
01-02-2019, 07:23 PM
Can someone point me to or post here a basic primer of the various models and suffixes and what they mean? I’m thinking I want to get one as a “soul gun” alternative to my Glocks. I know the easy button is the Langdon, but I’m not there financially. I see 92’s for sale locally in the $350-600 range and I’m not sure what I’m looking at.

Things I think I’d like to have are a rail and ability to change sights. Sights matters way more than rail.

Thanks!

LOKNLOD
01-02-2019, 07:36 PM
Probably the best single point of info i've found:
https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/guide-beretta-92/

JSGlock34
01-02-2019, 07:55 PM
This predates the Wilson Combat, LTT Elite, and M9A3 but has good info nonetheless.

Pistol-Training.com:KevH’s Very Opinionated Guide to the Beretta 92 (https://pistol-training.com/articles/kevhs-very-opinionated-guide-to-the-beretta-92)

ETA: One significant update since that article was written is that G conversion kits have been introduced and are readily available.

Canyonrat
01-02-2019, 10:46 PM
https://berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=98238

It’s complicated...

Mitch
01-02-2019, 10:47 PM
Honestly? Save up for an LTT. If you’re getting something for enjoyment get what you really want, even if that means delayed satisfaction.

LTT elites are the Beretta they should have built from day one anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwperry
01-02-2019, 10:57 PM
https://berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=98238

It’s complicated...

I have been slowly reading through those FAQs and still come up stumped sometimes when looking at guns/parts. This is mostly centered around my desire for a dovetail front sight (which I think that ASH556 pointed out he wants too). Unless looking to piece together a Franken-beretta (which I did) cost of entry is going to be close to, if not over $800. If opting for a TJIAB (which is amazing) the LTT Elite is a pretty awesome deal.

Canyonrat
01-02-2019, 11:13 PM
I have been slowly reading through those FAQs and still come up stumped sometimes when looking at guns/parts. This is mostly centered around my desire for a dovetail front sight (which I think that ASH556 pointed out he wants too). Unless looking to piece together a Franken-beretta (which I did) cost of entry is going to be close to, if not over $800. If opting for a TJIAB (which is amazing) the LTT Elite is a pretty awesome deal.

Yeah, was trying to provide info without bias but it is sort of a blob of stuff. If opinions are wanted, got those too...

- A dovetail sight and a rail come on the 92A1. Unless you live in a state where you can’t receive 17rd mags by law it’s worth a look. The slide is different from other 92’s because of the recoil buffer, but unless you want to go full-tinkertoy swapping between your 92’s this may not matter. Does not to me. Italian beauty with 3 mags for around 600 bucks, stock sights.

- The Elite LTT is unique because of the rounding of sharp metal edges normally found on 92 models, specifically beavertail and triggerguard. It just feels more comfy to hold than other 92s. Beyond that, if you add up all the other enhanced features it’s a great package deal. But they do add up to a cost.

- A TJIAB is something to add yourself to a 92 you own. If getting an Elite LTT, buy from Langdon Tactical and have them do the full job on site.

jwperry
01-02-2019, 11:14 PM
- A dovetail sight and a rail come on the 92A1. Unless you live in a state where you can’t receive 17rd mags by law it’s worth a look. The slide is different from other 92’s because of the recoil buffer, but unless you want to go full-tinkertoy swapping between your 92’s this may not matter. Does not to me. Italian beauty with 3 mags for around 600 bucks, stock sights.

Dovetail front sight on the 92A1?

Canyonrat is correct, the 92A1 has a dovetail front sight (all variants). My confusion was M9A1 vs 92A1. :o

Canyonrat
01-02-2019, 11:20 PM
Dovetail front sight on the 92A1?

Yes I own one and have Spartan sights installed. Not to be confused with the M9A1 which has a fixed front sight slide from the 92FS. Easy to mix up, see... “it’s complicated.” :cool:

jwperry
01-02-2019, 11:21 PM
Yes I own one and have Spartan sights installed. Not to be confused with the M9A1 which has a fixed front sight slide from the 92FS. Easy to mix up, see... “it’s complicated.” :cool:

Just edited my post to reflect my ignorance. :o

medmo
01-02-2019, 11:53 PM
Thumbs up on Canyonrat's info. If you don't have the cash up front a 92A1 would be an excellent choice. Swapping out the hammer spring, (12#), to improve the action is pretty darn cheap and you can do it right away. If you want to upgrade from there, (G conversion levers, sights, grips, mag release button, trigger job, etc.), you can do it in over time and in accordance with your cash flow. I just completed a project kind of following that pattern. Started out with a "screaming deal" used stock 96A1 last summer and just finished something comparable to an LTT pistol. Ran 100 rounds through it earlier today for a completed project test fire and it is oh, so very sweet.

Bigghoss
01-03-2019, 01:27 AM
Things I think I’d like to have are a rail and ability to change sights. Sights matters way more than rail.

Thanks!

As others have said, 92A1 is what you want. I got my first 92A1 because I had the same criteria.

HCM
01-03-2019, 02:36 AM
ASH556 seriously just get the LTT Beretta.

The I ssue with Beretta dovetail front sights is there are three different patterns, the Brigadier, the Ninety-Two (which I understand alao fits the 92A1, and the Vertec. The Vertec is the pattern on the M9A3 and the LTT and is the best bet for support and new sights in the future.

Both the Brigadier slide and the Ninety-Two/92a1/96a1 recoil system were attempts by Beretta to make a 92/96 series gun which could stand up to steady diets of .40 cal. As such they are evolutionary dead ends replaced by the Px4 .40.

I have 4 Beretta 92 series guns, including two Wilson’s and have been shooting them since 1991. The LTT is the best thing I’ve seen in the Beretta game. Unless you have especially small hands suited to the Vertec grip, buy an LTT and don’t look back.

Jared
01-03-2019, 07:59 AM
As others have said, the Elite LTT really is the ultimate version of the 92. That said, if you just don't want to, or cannot, spring for the LTT, the 92A1 gives you a rail and replaceable front sights for less.

ASH556
01-03-2019, 09:12 AM
So freely admitting that I don't know what I don't know:

There's a guy on GB right now with some 92A1 demo guns for $499/ea. If I buy one, swap sights (looks like Dawson, Trijicon, and others make sights for 92A1) ($100), and put a G lever kit ($55) and a D spring ($25) in it, I'm probably $700 into the gun.

If I buy the LTT Elite with Spartan sights I'm at $1,138.

Not that the frame melt, magwell bevel, barrel shortening is bad, but is it necessary to get my feet wet with a Beretta and see if I like the platform?

CraigS
01-03-2019, 10:05 AM

There's a guy on GB right now with some 92A1 demo guns for $499/ea. If I buy one, swap sights (looks like Dawson, Trijicon, and others make sights for 92A1) ($100), and put a G lever kit ($55) and a D spring ($25) in it, I'm probably $700 into the gun.

Not that the frame melt, magwell bevel, barrel shortening is bad, but is it necessary to get my feet wet with a Beretta and see if I like the platform?
No, an LTT is not necessary even if it is the ultimate 92. A 92A1 w/ Dawson FO front sight, G kit, order 12#, 13#, 14#, 16# springs from LTT. In my experience you can get down to a 13# w/ the stock hammer but need a skeleton hammer to run a 12#. BTW, the D is generally thought to be a 16# so the other three will make for an even better trigger. If the pistol will be used defensively stay w/ 13# or 14#. Once you decide you like the 92 grab a TJIB from LTT.

Canyonrat
01-03-2019, 11:14 AM
ASH556 The I ssue with Beretta dovetail front sights is there are three different patterns, the Brigadier, the Ninety-Two (which I understand alao fits the 92A1, and the Vertec. The Vertec is the pattern on the M9A3 and the LTT and is the best bet for support and new sights in the future.

Nope, the Vertec and 92A1 share the same sight dovetail. Spartan sights, same part number both ordered from berettausa fit my Elite LTT (Vertec) and 92A1. Also look at this Dawson sight for example it is named “Vertec 92A1”:
https://dawsonprecision.com/beretta-vertec-92a1-fiber-optic-front-sights/

ASH556
01-03-2019, 11:16 AM
Nope, the Vertec and 92A1 share the same sight dovetail. Spartan sights, same part number both ordered from berettausa fit my Elite LTT (Vertec) and 92A1. Also look at this Dawson sight for example it is named “Vertec 92A1”:

Why does Dawson not make rears? I realize it seems like an arbitrary question, but am I missing something?

fixer
01-03-2019, 11:45 AM

The A1 is a great "tooth cutter" for your purposes.

HCM
01-03-2019, 11:55 AM

Trijicon lists them separately but I’m not surprised. Then that will also fit the Ninety-two.

Jared
01-03-2019, 11:56 AM

For what you are looking for, the 92A1 is an excellent option. If you decide you love the 92, you can add the LTT and have the 92A1 for an understudy/trainer.

HCM
01-03-2019, 12:05 PM

For a soul gun do you need spartan sights ? Given your 25 yard B8 shooting the LTT standard FO front / Pepperoni rear might be a better combo which ever gun you choose.

Alao for a soul / pride in ownership gun you are gonna want a triggerjob in a bag vs just a D spring so add another $165 to $225 to your $700 gun and you are now in LTT territory.

HCM
01-03-2019, 12:08 PM
Why does Dawson not make rears? I realize it seems like an arbitrary question, but am I missing something?

Dawson OEMs sights, especially FO fronts for may other companies.

ASH556
01-04-2019, 10:08 AM
I met DG12 this morning and took my first step down the Beretta path with this 92A1. DG12 had already added G conversion, D spring, and WC grips. I'm going to shoot it a bit and then probably add sights.

Need a recommendation for a decent USPSA type holster I can start doing work with. Would prefer Safariland if possible for QLS compatibility. Any recommendations?

https://i.imgur.com/jWGoZvUl.jpg

JSGlock34
01-04-2019, 10:39 AM
The Blade-Tech OWB is practically a universal holster for Beretta 92s and works with my M9, BrigTac, and LTT - requiring only minor tension adjustments. I haven’t vetted a 92A1 or 90-TWO with it and they do have some holster idiosyncrasies, but I wouldn’t expect a problem.

Bigghoss
01-04-2019, 11:32 AM
I met DG12 this morning and took my first step down the Beretta path with this 92A1. DG12 had already added G conversion, D spring, and WC grips. I'm going to shoot it a bit and then probably add sights.

Need a recommendation for a decent USPSA type holster I can start doing work with. Would prefer Safariland if possible for QLS compatibility. Any recommendations?

It's all over now... #PizzaGunzRLife (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=PizzaGunzRLife) #GottaCollectEmAll (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=GottaCollectEmAll)

fixer
01-04-2019, 11:35 AM
I shoot from concealment at matches and have had good luck with Jm custom kydex

Vista461
01-04-2019, 02:17 PM

Nice. Grips are next for mine. I already added the G conversion, extended mag release and 14lb hammer spring.

Are those the black cherry grips? I like that.

Oukaapie
01-04-2019, 04:12 PM
If you cant swallow a LTT then get the 92A1 and build it out at your own speed. Sights and springs need to be replaced first. Safety decocker either G conversion or low profile Wilson second. Eventually LTT TIB.

Grips and Wilson Short trigger depending on hand size.

SW CQB 45
01-04-2019, 04:58 PM
Congrats!!!

https://i.imgur.com/iRhLKJAl.jpg

I dont know if my rig is legal but Warbird Leather made me a range rig. Sorry not Safariland pattern.

https://i.imgur.com/m8WH4vGl.jpg

CraigS
01-04-2019, 05:07 PM
The Blade-Tech OWB is practically a universal holster for Beretta 92s and works with my M9, BrigTac, and LTT - requiring only minor tension adjustments. I haven’t vetted a 92A1 or 90-TWO with it and they do have some holster idiosyncrasies, but I wouldn’t expect a problem.
A caution on the Blade Tech CLASSIC OWB (there are 3 other OWB models). It only fits the rounded trigger guard models. So it will be fine for the OP but if anyone else is reading this thread be careful.

JSGlock34
01-04-2019, 05:18 PM
A caution on the Blade Tech CLASSIC OWB (there are 3 other OWB models). It only fits the rounded trigger guard models. So it will be fine for the OP but if anyone else is reading this thread be careful.

Apparently my experience differs, as I was referring to the Classic (HOLX000861061892 to be specific). Works with all three models I listed (M9, LTT, Brigadier Tactical). Here it is with a few different models.

CraigS
01-04-2019, 05:49 PM
That is really strange. When I got mine I called and was told it was all they had. I figured maybe they got into B92s when the Wilson BrigTac came out which has the rounded guard. I just checked and was surprised I still have the bag it came in. Number is HOLX000852001824. They list as fitting Beretta 92g Brigadier Elite. I had ordered it to use w/ my EII. I did a lot of heat gun work and made it kind of acceptable for steel challenge where no retention is needed. I have started using Blackhawk CQB holsters (not Serpa) and work really well but do need some heat gun work to fit a Brig slide. JSGlock34, maybe I should order one like yours. Sure wish the person I talked to on the phone had known what they were doing. I would have been happy to swap w/ them for one that works.
Edit to add; I just went to the BladeTech site to research. Nothing I could do would show model numbers of holsters when I searched by gun make and model. I put one in my cart and it just shows a description w/o number. So I tried searching by number. My number comes back saying nothing was found. JSGlock34's number comes up w/ a Classic OWB. Weird.

JSGlock34
01-04-2019, 06:32 PM
Beretta holster selection can be a bit maddening. If the Blade-tech options are confusing, I personally find the Safariland Beretta options inscrutable. Among the reasons I dislike the 90-TWO and 92A1 (this is a comment on their development history - I'm sure the 92A1 shoots just fine) is the added complication to the Beretta lineup and holster selections. I remain a bit baffled why Beretta has not standardized production around the Vertec slide and the M9A1/A3 frames and culled the 92 herd.

In any case, this evolution (while awesome!) hasn't helped with holster selection for the consumer.

https://loungecdn.luckygunner.com/lounge/media/Beretta-92-chart01.jpg

(Pizzagun Nerd Comment: This is an excellent chart, but I object to the 92A1 appearing as a descendent of the M9A1 or in the lineage of the M9A3.)

Duelist
01-04-2019, 08:26 PM

I love my 92A1. I have WC fiber front and WC battlesight rear, Beretta’s smaller extended mag release, WC 13# hammer spring (does not reliably light off Barnaul, has occasional light strikes with NATO spec primers, does fine with normal US primers), and G10 grips with very aggressive checkering that are just a bit thicker than standard plastic panels. I also lightly broke the sharp edges after the beavertail chewed a hole in the web of my hand.

I may bump up to a 14# or go back to the 16# spring, especially if I keep shooting cheap crap ammo, and eventually will install the steel guide rod I bought. It’ll get a WC trigger bar eventually, too. I’d love to get it all refinished, b/c the silver edges bug me a little when I look at it. But they make me happy when I shoot it.

ASH556
01-04-2019, 08:50 PM
Just ordered a Comp-tac International doh. Good?

ASH556
01-05-2019, 08:08 AM
Nice. Grips are next for mine. I already added the G conversion, extended mag release and 14lb hammer spring.

Are those the black cherry grips? I like that.

Just checked the packaging from the bag of spare parts the seller gave me, yep Black Cherry!

fixer
01-05-2019, 10:54 AM

I didn't think comp tac made a holster for the 92 a1

ASH556
01-05-2019, 11:46 AM
I didn't think comp tac made a holster for the 92 a1

I guess we’ll find out when it gets here.

fixer
01-05-2019, 11:54 AM
Regardless... I've had tremendous luck with their other holsters for iwb carry

Jared
01-05-2019, 07:14 PM

It's a decent holster. The one I had was for an M9A1 and would not accept a 92A1.......

Like JSGlock mentioned, the 92A1 big problem is holsters. It look like it should go into a Vertec or M9A1 holster. It won't. The 92A1 slide is larger in one area, the area where the recoil spring guide rod passes through. That one spot is fatter and makes lots of holsters a no go.

On the other hand.....I've had awesome success getting all other Beretta 92 models to fit into a 92a1 holster. My Blade Tec OWB will take any 92, it was made for the 92A1. Dark Star Gear made me a set of holsters some years ago that'll hold any 92 I care to stick in them as well. His pattern for that was a 92A1 blue gun I sent him.

Duelist
01-05-2019, 07:38 PM
JMCK made me a couple of holsters for my 92A1. They work great. Not every maker has a mold.