PDA

View Full Version : Bill Wilson's Comprehensive Handgun Proficiency Drill

Amp
01-02-2019, 04:18 PM
Bill demonstrates his CHP Drill, designed to test each of the fundamentals a proficient shooter needs for self-defense applications.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REFGzVMSTuk

JAD
01-02-2019, 05:25 PM
A very likable drill. I would at those distances demand -0 to 'pass' -- the IDPA target is really big for 7-12 yards (though I'd be cursing myself on the move). As a comprehensive test it weights the reload too much and the movement too much. I like Tom Givens' comprehensive better than anything I've seen.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?247-Rangemaster-Tom-Givens-Handgun-Core-Skills-Test

JHC
01-02-2019, 05:34 PM
Holy cow he really pulls his finger far off the trigger between shots. Can't say I've ever seen that before to that degree. I think this is a pretty cool drill/test.

JAD
01-02-2019, 05:41 PM
Holy cow he really pulls his finger far off the trigger between shots. Can't say I've ever seen that before to that degree. I think this is a pretty cool drill/test.

He claims he picked the habit up early when competing with DA revolvers. Hackathorn says he slaps the trigger gently. I say he developed the flip and press.

miller_man
01-02-2019, 05:52 PM

Exactly what I said watching the video, don't think I've seen someone come off that far. Ran super clean though.
Will try some time.

LOKNLOD
01-02-2019, 06:08 PM
A very likable drill. I would at those distances demand -0 to 'pass' -- the IDPA target is really big for 7-12 yards (though I'd be cursing myself on the move). As a comprehensive test it weights the reload too much and the movement too much. I like Tom Givens' comprehensive better than anything I've seen.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?247-Rangemaster-Tom-Givens-Handgun-Core-Skills-Test

I think the reload is only emphasized if you're running a low-cap gun - in which case, reloads probably need to be emphasized. It just says "reload when empty". If shooting a modern full capacity pistol you could run it without a reload.

I think running it in both directions would be good, as the direction of travel can make a difference on SOTM. Also, if doing it both directions, I'd swap the target order on the 2nd run - so you draw to a Moz/F2S, and do a 3-rounder after movement. You could incorporate all 4 of Gabe's engagement sequences into a run, even. You could either do 2 runs and total them, or run the whole thing in one go. It would be fun. Changing the sequence around and doing it all at once would make for a bit of "thinking".

An another observation, not a criticism, is that it's interesting to see Bill's trigger finger straighten out considerably, almost to a register position, between shots. ETA: Ha, I see I wasn't the only one to notice.

GJM
01-02-2019, 07:13 PM

On a drill that purports to be defensive, slow shooters try to turn all drills into accuracy tests, where fast shooters like to emphasize speed. Seems there needs to be a way to blend speed and accuracy and reward a combination of both that relates to real world shooting.

I sure get a fail if a bullet misses a target completely or hits a non threat, but I wouldn’t want to, for example take a guy doing this in ten seconds with one Charlie (or whatever they call that in IDPA) and make that a fail, and pass a guy who shoots clean in twenty seconds.

okie john
01-03-2019, 09:42 AM

Interesting drill. I'd love to hear more about taking the finger out of the trigger guard for each shot. Seems like a good way to put the brakes on as referenced in several recent threads here.

Okie John

DAB
01-03-2019, 11:53 AM
added to my list of things to try when the snow melts. thanks.

cheby
01-03-2019, 01:35 PM
standing reload will get you killed on da streetz

Tom Duffy
01-05-2019, 09:24 PM

A good friend of mine who was nationally ranked in Bianchi Cup shoots with the same technique, though not as pronounced. He claims that if you keep your finger on the trigger as you fire rapidly you begin to pull the gun off center. Not sure if he was referring to 1911s, which he normally shoots or guns in general.

PensFan
01-14-2019, 01:05 PM
Rob Leatham calls himself a world class trigger slapper. Like others have said. BW's is very pronounced.

Alpha Sierra
01-27-2019, 12:05 PM
I'd rather focus the question on why drills like this are so often done without concealment instead of focusing on his trigger finger.

I think wearing concealment is much more relevant to most of us.