PDA

View Full Version : 1911 or FNX45?? Help!

b1gj0n44
12-31-2018, 02:41 PM
I have some gift cards burning a hole in my pocket right now and need some guidance. I am looking at a 45 cal semi auto pistol. Ive always wanted a 1911, but have also come across the FNX 45 that I really like. I especially like it has a higher capacity than the 1911's do. I am trying to stay under $1k.

I should also note, I have a CCW already, this would be a secondary pistol that I open carry around when hunting, and also home protection. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

JSGlock34
12-31-2018, 03:00 PM
A sub-$1000 1911 is a dicey proposition - I've had mixed performance at this price range.

That's not an endorsement of the FN; my experience with higher capacity .45s is limited to Glock (and a little bit of HK), either of which I'd give consideration in light of the criteria you've established.

Robinson
12-31-2018, 03:09 PM
I have a slightly different view that you can buy a Colt 1911 for under $1000 and probably end up with a good gun that runs fine, especially if it's a 45.

Even with its higher capacity the FN will weigh less than a 1911 if that matters.

Owning a quality 1911 is a good thing to do if you can afford it, but it's not for everyone. Is there any way you can rent both before making your decision? You are making a choice between two very different pistols. Double action vs. single action, polymer frame vs. steel, etc... Maybe if you can list your priorities it might help us give better advice.

b1gj0n44
12-31-2018, 03:18 PM
Yea.. I know its not really apples to apples lol. A 1911 has always been on my list to own, but like the other reply mentioned.. I dont just want to buy a cheap one. I went to a range friday where i was able to shoot HK45 and a 1911 that they had in stock (their rentals were pretty limited in .45). The 1911 handles the .45 a lot better than the polymer HK did. But i do like having the accessory rail option on the FN. I know you can get a 1911 with the rail, but most of them dont have it.

HCM
12-31-2018, 03:21 PM
I have some gift cards burning a hole in my pocket right now and need some guidance. I am looking at a 45 cal semi auto pistol. Ive always wanted a 1911, but have also come across the FNX 45 that I really like. I especially like it has a higher capacity than the 1911's do. I am trying to stay under $1k.

I should also note, I have a CCW already, this would be a secondary pistol that I open carry around when hunting, and also home protection. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Given you budget I would look at the HK USP and HK 45 series, the Glock 45 ACP models or the S&W M&P 45.

The Best Buy would be the M&P 45 with a thumb safety and the Apex trigger / Forward Set Sear kit.

The FNX was innovative but has sipome fleas. A sub $1k 1911 is a crap shoot. You may get a good one or you may not. Moving up to tne Dan Wesson / SA TRP price range ($1k to $1500) gets you a much better 1911.

Tango
12-31-2018, 03:34 PM
Have you shot either weapon? That is where I would try to start. See which one you like holding, shooting and carrying better.

My personal viewpoint would have you buy a 1911. The gun, its trigger and ergonomics are hard to beat. For less than a $1,000 I would try and find a Colt or Springfield Armory model. I would say adjusting your sites to $1200 is a better idea. At this time of year, I just googled and found several of the Springfield Armory Loaded Operator models for a little less than $1000 or slightly over it. The same with several different Colt and Ruger models. Those are good quality starting points. Whichever way you go, good luck and enjoy.

shane45
12-31-2018, 04:37 PM
I second the HK45. I had an FNX45 Tactical. The grip is BIG on this pistol, just a heads up. I have bigish hands and I found it big. I will say that it was a SUPER accurate pistol. I could hit a 50% silhouette at 100yds 3 to 4 out of 5 with it consistently. However, I hated the safety levers. They arent very positive. I seriously disliked the plastic it was made of, I found it soft. And the weird ejector is shaped like and as sharp as a fish hook so dont stick your finger in there to clear anything out. However the single action was very good on mine. I think the double action was pretty smooth but heavy but I wouldnt be the best judge of DA as Im a LEM and 1911 guy.

Rex G
12-31-2018, 04:39 PM
Nothing wrong with a good 1911, but avoid off-brand junk, and to be clear, some well-over-$1K 1911 pistols are off-brand junk. I had to pour money and work into all three of my Kimbers. Yes, it took three lessons, before I learned. Meanwhile, my Govt-sized Colts and Les Baers purred right long, so no, it was not “user error.” (I did have to put some money and work into most of my smaller 1911 pistols, so swore-off* anything smaller than Govt-sized weapons.)

1911, under $1K? I recommend saving a bit longer, and buying a full-sized (Govt) Colt or Springfield, Inc. Adjusting one’s budget into the low/mid-teens can buy a 1911 with some nice enhancements.

I am unfamiliar with the FN, as it was not on the “approved” list, where I worked, until retiring earlier this year, so I will let others tell you about it. (Yes, I was “qual’ed” with 1911 duty pistols, while working for one of the largest municipal PDs in the USA, though I actually switched to a G19, on my main duty rig, in the final few months, due to having to use a much smaller patrol vehicle.)

None of the above should be construed to mean that I am a 1911 elitist/snob. There are plenty of good pistols.

*I will admit recent temptation to revisit smaller 1911 pistols.

JSGlock34
12-31-2018, 04:45 PM
I'll just add that I'd give the edge to Springfield Armory on the sub-$1000 front. Springfield Armory's warranty and custom service are excellent. I had good experience with a PX9109L (parkerized Loaded) that I turned into a decent MEUSOC clone. (The pistol did require a return to SA for warranty service within the first hundred rounds when the rear sight came off, but they promptly took care of it at their expense). Some recent forum member experiences with their Colt pistols give me pause.

JHC
12-31-2018, 04:50 PM
SA or Colt 1911 all day. Even at that price point.

Bigghoss
12-31-2018, 07:15 PM
My Springfield Armory Operator had to go back to the factory 3 times before they finally replaced it. My current one works though they were very good about making sure I was happy. I can also personally recommend the Glock 21 & S&W M&P45.

TheNewbie
12-31-2018, 07:22 PM
My Springfield Armory Operator had to go back to the factory 3 times before they finally replaced it. My current one works though they were very good about making sure I was happy. I can also personally recommend the Glock 21 & S&W M&P45.

What issues the did the SA have?

Bigghoss
12-31-2018, 07:27 PM
What issues the did the SA have?

Extraction issues. They would fix it and a few hundred rounds later it would start doing the exact same thing and I would send it back. On the 4th time I told them to give me a new gun or a refund.

TC215
12-31-2018, 07:27 PM
You can get a Dan Wesson Vigil 1911 for right around $1000. I consider that a better buy than a Springfield or Colt in that price range.

StraitR
12-31-2018, 08:37 PM
1911 if you're about the nostalgia or looking for a passion piece, otherwise I'd say a M&P45 for a plastic 45. I don't have any experience with the FNX45, which is why I suggested the MP45. It's an excellent and very accurate striker 45acp pistol. Something to consider.

I vote 1911, but that won't come as a surprise to most around here.

Artemas2
12-31-2018, 09:21 PM
Having owned an FNX in 9 for less than 2 weeks this past fall... don't buy it. It is not user serviceable, parts and gear, are hard to find, the grip squish is still an issue as Dustin Ellermann found some time ago

https://youtu.be/TGq1uwoOSHs

I can't speak towards 1911s, but if you want something in you price range a M&P .45 is a excellent option (sadly that was what I traded for my FNX) as is a Beretta PX4 or Glock 21/41/30.
You could also look for a used or haggle new for a sub $1000 sig P220, Hk45 or USP.

Doc_Glock
12-31-2018, 09:47 PM
For sub $1000 .45 I would get HK 45 or HK USP or HK 45 Compact.

JAD
12-31-2018, 10:01 PM
Colt makes excellent subK guns. A DW will work well for you also.

1slow
01-01-2019, 12:38 AM
For sub $1000 .45 I would get HK 45 or HK USP or HK 45 Compact.

YES !!!

Nephrology
01-01-2019, 01:29 AM
I'm rather fond of the M&P45; I'd get a 2.0 for the improved trigger.You can get great deals on used 1.0s, too, if you don't mind a slightly less refined trigger press.

JonInWA
01-01-2019, 09:06 AM
Colt 70 Series, Glock G21 or HK45 are my recommendations. Best, Jon

mmc45414
01-01-2019, 09:07 AM
I do not want to sound like monotonous fan boy, but if you are 1911-Curious and want to spend less that $1k, I sure have been happy with the three Rugers I have. Admittedly the 45 (Commander) is the one I have the least rounds through, but I think it is nice. My triggers were nice out of the box and they are Series 70 style.

They are not as refined as the DW, don't have the brand loyalty of the Colt, but if you are trying to decide if you want to stick your toe in the water I think you would not regret starting there. Full retail for the Target version is only $1k. And if you want a rail you can get a rail now:
https://grabagun.com/ruger-sr1911-45acp-nit-g10-5-rail.html

Wondering Beard
01-01-2019, 09:27 AM
if you are 1911-Curious

I think this should be added as one of the new genders listed on facebook and other places that make those lists. As a matter of fact, I think I should identify as something like HK-curious/1911-Glock queer.

03RN
01-01-2019, 09:47 AM
I trust my Springfield loaded/MC Operator completely. Ive had a milspec and a loaded champion and never had an issue that couldn't be directly tied to bad magazines or lube issues.

DocGKR
01-01-2019, 11:22 AM
Proven sub $1000 .45 Auto pistol? M&P45 is a no brainer, as well as HK.

b1gj0n44
01-01-2019, 04:49 PM
I’m not a real big m&p guy. I was able to rent a hk45.. but the 1911 handles a 45 way better. I’m just trying to decide between the FN or if i should spend a little extra $ and get a 1911.

I like that the FN has more round capacity and a rail on it. I know i can get a 1911 with a rail, but limits my options more to do so

Nephrology
01-01-2019, 09:21 PM
I’m not a real big m&p guy. I was able to rent a hk45.. but the 1911 handles a 45 way better. I’m just trying to decide between the FN or if i should spend a little extra $ and get a 1911.

I like that the FN has more round capacity and a rail on it. I know i can get a 1911 with a rail, but limits my options more to do so

Both the FN and a cheap 1911 are much more likely to malfunction than the HK45 or M&P45. If you want larger magazine capacity, a Glock 21 is where I'd look. Here (https://www.gunbroker.com/item/794467738) is one on gunbroker that is probably a police trade in. Comes with 3 mags and Glock night sights with decent glow. You won't get a better .45 for the money, unless you find an M&P45 for cheaper (like this one here (https://www.gunbroker.com/item/795119164) with a buy-it-now price of $325).

Alternatively you can pay a lot more money to get an FN that will be a lot more frustrating, but that makes very little sense in my book.

TheNewbie
01-01-2019, 10:06 PM
The advice given here is excellent. If you want an FN for the sake of having an FN, go for it. However, if you want a quality .45, then I would pay attention to most of this thread.

EVP
01-01-2019, 10:50 PM
I would also agree on the hk45.

I had a Hk 45c and itwas a excellent gun. I went with the Hk because of the reliability,durability and just how robust it is built.

A lot of people like m&ps and with Apex goodies is really nice.

TOTS
01-01-2019, 11:43 PM
I bought a Colt Wiley Clapp model series 70 for right at $1100 shipped and transferred and have had zero problems with it. Would trust my life to it and recommend to others.

Robinson
01-01-2019, 11:51 PM

No offense, but if you are having a hard time choosing between the FNX and a 1911 then I still think you need to define your priorities. Either way you will need to learn the pistol's manual of arms and train with it to become proficient. But the two guns really are like comparing apples to oranges. Decide what your parameters are for selecting a pistol and then prioritize them to help you choose.

DocGKR
01-02-2019, 12:58 AM
I primarily carried .45 Auto 1911's from 1986-2010 and switched to a M&P45 full-size for daily use in 2011. The M&P45 did everything my expensive custom 1911's could do--including proving just as accurate and reliable, but for a fraction of the cost. As a result, I sold almost all my nice fancy 1911's... While I carry a 9 mm today, if someone gave me an unlimited supply of free .45 Auto training ammo again, I would have no issues going back to the M&P45. The HK .45's would be the other pistol I'd have no issues carrying in .45 Auto.

Bigghoss
01-02-2019, 02:41 AM
If you have a budget, you shouldn't be looking at 1911's. 1911's are like muscle cars. They're cool, but to get one that you can trust every day costs a lot more. Nobody is a Toyota Camry guy but they get them because they just needs something that works and they don't want to have to think about it.

Gen 4 Glock 21 police trade ins are about $350 and first gen M&P45s are about the same. With your budget you could get two of whichever you want, replace the springs, install the sights of your choice, get a holster and a few extra mags.

If you really, really, want a 1911 then take that $1000, invest it and come back when you have $2500+.

45dotACP
01-02-2019, 06:34 AM
You'll need to know how to diagnose and fix some problems if you want to get a 1911 to the point where it is reliable enough for CCW.

The 1911 I carried most was a Colt, and was both accurate and reliable to the point I carried and competed with it, but it did require some set-up.

I haven't had a sub 1,000 dollar factory 1911 that could be taken from the box and be reliable, but perhaps my luck is just bad. With some basic armorer level maintenance, I have been able to get each of my 1911s to the point where I could trust them to carry. None of them cost more than 1,000 dollars except maybe the ones I built.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

JAH 3rd
01-02-2019, 09:46 AM
I primarily carried .45 Auto 1911's from 1986-2010 and switched to a M&P45 full-size for daily use in 2011. The M&P45 did everything my expensive custom 1911's could do--including proving just as accurate and reliable, but for a fraction of the cost. As a result, I sold almost all my nice fancy 1911's... While I carry a 9 mm today, if someone gave me an unlimited supply of free .45 Auto training ammo again, I would have no issues going back to the M&P45. The HK .45's would be the other pistol I'd have no issues carrying in .45 Auto.

On the Glock grip thread we are having a discussion (last page) of which insert to use on the M&P platform. The gist is just because a particular insert feels good doesn't necessarily mean that grip will give you the best performance when shooting. I like the feel of the small insert, but I am going to give the medium/large insert a try to see how it works for me. Thanks in advance!

JAD
01-02-2019, 09:53 AM
If you have a budget, you shouldn't be looking at 1911's. 1911's are like muscle cars. They're cool, but to get one that you can trust every day costs a lot more. Nobody is a Toyota Camry guy but they get them because they just needs something that works and they don't want to have to think about it.

Gen 4 Glock 21 police trade ins are about $350 and first gen M&P45s are about the same. With your budget you could get two of whichever you want, replace the springs, install the sights of your choice, get a holster and a few extra mags.

If you really, really, want a 1911 then take that $1000, invest it and come back when you have $2500+.

I have bought a lot of 1911s for less than $1K and they all ran. They were all Colts (and Kimbers that no longer exist). The one budget 1911 I've purchased that didn't run was a Springfield RO, and that was fine after I replaced the mainspring for $5.

A sub-$1000 Colt of current manufacture has a high probability of being a good gun. A Dan Wesson has a very high probability of being a good gun, and they now run from $1000 to $1500. I don't know what you can get for $2500 -- the next step up is really Wilson which starts at $3K -- but in any event I don't think there's much substance to your statements.

Robinson
01-02-2019, 10:05 AM
Strangely I trust my $729 Colt Series 80 enough to carry it. It's like the Energizer Bunny. I trust the Series 70 that currently serves as its training/backup gun as well, but it ejects brass into my forehead once in a while which is why it's the backup/training gun. I can probably correct that problem myself by giving the ejector some attention. If I buy a new Commander soon, which I plan to, I will put a thousand or so rounds through it and I assume at that point I will trust it too. But it's still not a recommendation I would make to most people. The above is typical for 1911 users and you should resign yourself to the process if you want to go that route.

I did own a M&P 45 at one point and it was a very good, utterly reliable pistol. If you don't want to embark on a 1911 journey and really learn what you need to know then I agree with DocGKR and others -- get a modern, proven design like the M&P 45 or the HK. Or a full size Glock. Any of those will be like pressing the gun ownership Easy Button. Probably.

b1gj0n44
01-02-2019, 10:07 AM
I do appreciate all the opinions and recommendations. I understand I am not comparing apples to apples with what i am looking at. I think it would be an easier decision if i were haha. I guess i failed to mention (thought i did), I already have a conceal carry weapon, so this purchase would not be for that purpose. This would be more of a secondary gun when walking around the farm lookin for pigs and to keep on my nightstand. I've always had a 1911 on my wishlist, so I think i am leaning toward that in the under $1200 price range. I can always add a polymer pistol next haha.

vcdgrips
01-02-2019, 10:39 AM
If the pistol is not for SD purposes, buy what you want. FWIW, FN would not be on my list for a 1911+ capacity .45 caliber pistol relative to Glock, HK or M&P.

"...and to keep on my nightstand." YMMV, but I and all the trainers I have trained with (Gunsite, Clint Smith at Thunder Ranch, TLG (RIP), Pat Rogers (RIP) , Randy Cain, Tom Givens etc, would be highly disinclined to recommend carrying one type of platform out in the world for CCW and having another on your nightstand for HD.

Be well.

1986s4
01-02-2019, 11:27 AM
I'll throw in my 02 cents. I've owned a few .45 Autos over the years and the only one I have left is my dad's '68 Colt government which lives in it's original box with Colt catalogue from the era. I've owned SIG P220's, HK USPc, Springfield 1911, Colt 1911 and the only Taurus I've ever had; a PT 1911.

The SIGs worked and were accurate but recovery from shot to shot wasn't good for me. The USPc I got must have been a lemon because after two trips to HK I traded it for the only Glock I ever had that didn't shoot left [but I stupidly sold it]. The Springfield had to be sent back but SA fixed it no questions asked and the Colt worked straight away.
Aside from Dad's Colt the only 1911 I still have is my Colt .38 Super Auto and I've tested it over the course of three 2000 round tests. The Colt super worked well out of the box but over the course of the tests I identified a few things I wanted changed. The only reliability work I had done was a modest throat and feed ramp polish.

Oh, and the Taurus was 100% from start to finish. I didn't test it with a 2000 round test but it never failed me. I bought it when they first came out and sold it while they were holding their value well.

What I learned with the 1911: run 'em wet and only use good magazines. My rec is Wilson, Tripp and CMC power mags. I have some MecGar's that work for range mags to save wear and tear on the better mags.
Good luck

03RN
01-02-2019, 08:06 PM

I wouldn't hesitate using a g21 or m&p45 but would dispute that you need 2k for a good 1911.

03RN
01-02-2019, 08:14 PM
https://www.kingsfirearmsonline.com/products/handguns-smith-wesson-528-6830e90f-b998-49c1-a351-41c2b58b3cd5

$225 pd trade in m&p 45

What were the upgrades to the gen 2? I've only shot the gen 2s and had no complaints.

HCM
01-02-2019, 08:21 PM
https://www.kingsfirearmsonline.com/products/handguns-smith-wesson-528-6830e90f-b998-49c1-a351-41c2b58b3cd5

$225 pd trade in m&p 45

What were the upgrades to the gen 2? I've only shot the gen 2s and had no complaints.

Primarily grip texture and trigger both of which can be upgraded on a 1.0.

Unlike the 9mm M&P 10's, the M&P 1.0 45's have been exceptionally accurate and the only known reliablity issue as isolated to a bad batch of magazine springs. The springs are color coded so that would also be an easy fix.

$225 is a steal.

Nephrology
01-02-2019, 08:42 PM
Primarily grip texture and trigger both of which can be upgraded on a 1.0.

Unlike the 9mm M&P 10's, the M&P 1.0 45's have been exceptionally accurate and the only known reliablity issue as isolated to a bad batch of magazine springs. The springs are color coded so that would also be an easy fix.

$225 is a steal.

Thats roughly what I paid for my M&P45 mid-size and I couldn't be happier with it.

Joe in PNG
01-02-2019, 08:47 PM
There's also the CZ 97, if you want to split the difference between TDA & metal framed.

HCM
01-02-2019, 09:03 PM
Thats roughly what I paid for my M&P45 mid-size and I couldn't be happier with it.

Same here though it will get an APEX kit evenually.

Nephrology
01-02-2019, 09:18 PM
Same here though it will get an APEX kit evenually.

That's right, I thought I remembered that gun was your fault ;)

Will likely get an Apex for it too eventually, just low priority for now.

mmc45414
01-02-2019, 09:27 PM
https://www.kingsfirearmsonline.com/products/handguns-smith-wesson-528-6830e90f-b998-49c1-a351-41c2b58b3cd5Gads, $225...
While I think the OP should get a 1911, just to face the peril like the rest of us, I am another big fan of the M&P45.

RevolverRob
01-02-2019, 09:50 PM
The answer to most things .45acp are 1911.

But the answer to the question, "Should I buy a 1911 or some other .45?" is another question, "Do you have mechanical skills and/or are you inclined to learn how to diagnose and fix a broken 1911?"

If the answer to the latter is "No." Then the answer to the former is, "some other .45".

Otherwise, any 1911 can get there, though it's best to start with a good one (read: Springfield or Colt). That said even a Filipino-slag gun (Rock Island Armory) will run fine, given good magazines and properly tensioned extractor. I've actually had a lot of good luck with RIAs running fine with proper extractor tension.

HCM
01-02-2019, 09:54 PM
That's right, I thought I remembered that gun was your fault ;)

Will likely get an Apex for it too eventually, just low priority for now.

Guilty :-)

GJM
01-02-2019, 09:56 PM
If you want to tinker, get a 1911.

If you primarily value shootability, get the M&P.

If you want an utterly reliable, incredibly durable 45, and might occasionally shoot Super in the field pistol role, get an HK USP FS or HK45.

Nephrology
01-02-2019, 10:12 PM
If you want an utterly reliable, incredibly durable 45, and might occasionally shoot Super in the field pistol role, get an HK USP FS or HK45.

Also, if you love the Seattle Seahawks (https://www.gunbroker.com/item/795619969)

https://i.imgur.com/gXzpw7W.png

https://i.imgur.com/WgLzKb5.png

Robinson
01-02-2019, 11:01 PM
Geez you'd think 1911s randomly explode after a few rounds downrange or something. I'm glad I've missed out on the drama others must have experienced. Get a good one and all you need is some knowledge and to give the gun the necessary maintenance. No big deal.

Bigghoss
01-03-2019, 12:44 AM
We all know that 1911's are a different breed of pistol. I said what I said earlier because they can be a rabbit hole and many people don't realize that they're getting themselves into a situation different from most of what's on the market today.

Of the 4 1911's I've had, even the ones that worked weren't ready to go out of the box. Sights, hammers, safeties, restaking grip screw bushings, dehorning, and an internal key lock are some things that I've had to have remidied before a pistol was ready for service. Most handguns aren't imune to this but most of them it's a pretty easy DIY task that takes a few minutes. A 1911 takes knowledge and skill to work on so you either have to be willing to obtain that for yourself or pay someone else.

So when it comes to shopping for guns and you have X amount of money you should ask "What can I get for this?" But with 1911's it's "I want this, what does it cost?" If it doesn't cost $2500, great. But if you're not able or willing to plunk down whatever it might cost without having a perfectly clear picture of what that is then a 1911 probably isn't for you. Or get what you can afford and relegate it to plinker status only.

That's what I did for my Hi-power. I accepted that I wasn't willing to pay for one I could depend on so I got a surplus one that's only for enjoyment at the target range. I don't depend on my 1911 either because it's not set up how I would have it for a defensive pistol even though I've got enough ammo through it to confirm function.

HCM
01-03-2019, 01:03 AM
Geez you'd think 1911s randomly explode after a few rounds downrange or something. I'm glad I've missed out on the drama others must have experienced. Get a good one and all you need is some knowledge and to give the gun the necessary maintenance. No big deal.

The key part of this is”get a good one.”

Getting a good 1911 sub $1,000 is certainly possible but largely a matter of luck.

This is across multiple Colts, SA’s, Kimbers and even a Llama.

An old Ranger once told me, when you buy a 1911, you’ve only bought the kit. While that is no longer true, the starting point for 1911s which are consistently “ready to go” seems to be between $1,000 and $1,500 at the Dan Wssson /TRP level. The Colts which are generally good to go are in this price range as well.

Below that, you may or may not get a gun that runs or runs with minor tweaking. Or you may get a bunch of problems.

RevolverRob
01-03-2019, 01:20 AM
If someone said, “Rob go pull a handgun out of your safe to carry with you around the world. It has to do everything.” I’d probably grab my 4” half-lug GP100 maybe a 1911, but probably the GP100.

If someone said, “Rob, go to the gunstore and buy a handgun to carry everywhere around the world with you. It has to do everything.” I’d come back with a FS USP in .45 with a LEM Hybrid trigger installed. I might come back with a Compact USP .45 instead, but that’s a 50-50 toss up.

In other words, buy 1911s, because you want to play and have a serious gun (if you can maintain it, which is more complicated than maintaining a Glock, but not as difficult as open heart surgery). Or buy a HK USP if you want a gun that will work, period.

JAH 3rd
01-04-2019, 10:43 AM
Lets say someone has chosen a 1911 for defensive reasons. It's their go to weapon of choice. Now this person takes this pistol to a 1911 gunsmith and has it gone over to make sure it's 100% reliable and a quality build. The 1911 has been vetted with a 1000 rounds of his/her chosen self-defense ammo and it is totally reliable. Magazines are vetted as well. Even a spare fitted extractor is in the tool kit.

Now my question. With the above paragraph in mind, how much more maintenance does a 1911 require compared to a Glock or M&P in the same caliber after the 1911 is set up and 100% reliable?

mmc45414
01-04-2019, 11:15 AM
how much more maintenance does a 1911 require compared to a Glock or M&P in the same caliber after the 1911 is set up and 100% reliable?My opinion on this is back before there was a Glock, none of us questioned the reliability of our 1911. We expected to have to oil them and occasionally clean them and pay attention to when the slide maybe wasn't quite as snappy as before and clean and maybe change a spring or adjust an extractor. Or maybe ejection became a little erratic, the guns were still running, but we had to pay attention to them. Then guns with less bearing surface between the frame and slide (that needs to be properly interfacing, either by being fitted or manufactured to a suitable tolerance) became a thing, and less maintenance was required and more tolerance to dirt became the expectation. Modern guns have become remarkable in regard to the ratio of reliability to care and feeding. Nothing made the 1911 less reliable than it used to be, but people's expectations, that they shouldn't ever have to do anything in order to assure continued function, became a factor (IMO).

100% reliable?I think this is a key part of the question, 100% reliable, or 2000% reliable? People now expect something to run 2,000 rounds with NO care as a baseline. Is that a requirement, or is that a stunt? I still sure like shooting my 1911s, but then I started shooting them in about 1980 and have never had one that didn't work like others here routinely experience. My confidence level has been established by shooting them myself, over and over, for several decades, from time to time that has required a little oil :)

JAD
01-04-2019, 11:21 AM
Lets say someone has chosen a 1911 for defensive reasons. It's their go to weapon of choice. Now this person takes this pistol to a 1911 gunsmith and has it gone over to make sure it's 100% reliable and a quality build. The 1911 has been vetted with a 1000 rounds of his/her chosen self-defense ammo and it is totally reliable. Magazines are vetted as well. Even a spare fitted extractor is in the tool kit.

Now my question. With the above paragraph in mind, how much more maintenance does a 1911 require compared to a Glock or M&P in the same caliber after the 1911 is set up and 100% reliable?

The 1911 will need its recoil spring replaced at similar intervals to the Glock (5" .45). Neither the Glock nor the 1911 should require other small parts replacement on a maintenence basis, nor should there be a greater or lesser probability of failure for any small parts. Neither extractor is a predictable failure point. So I would say that "maintenence" will be equal. However, the 1911 may need to be cleaned more often -- I get away with many thousands of rounds on Glocks, and I try to clean my 1911s every couple of thousands. I think the Glock design is more forgiving of FOD than all but the loosest 1911s.

Robinson
01-04-2019, 01:09 PM
The 1911 will need its recoil spring replaced at similar intervals to the Glock (5" .45). Neither the Glock nor the 1911 should require other small parts replacement on a maintenence basis, nor should there be a greater or lesser probability of failure for any small parts. Neither extractor is a predictable failure point. So I would say that "maintenence" will be equal. However, the 1911 may need to be cleaned more often -- I get away with many thousands of rounds on Glocks, and I try to clean my 1911s every couple of thousands. I think the Glock design is more forgiving of FOD than all but the loosest 1911s.

I pretty much agree, though I would tweak this a bit. I think it's a good idea to replace the firing pin spring with every other recoil spring change, unless you are using a longer life recoil spring in which case just change them at the same time. I agree as far as cleaning, and would add that a 1911 is more reliant on proper lubrication than a Glock.

It's a good idea to learn as much about 1911s as you can if you want to use one in a defensive role, including proper maintenance. But the maintenance itself is really not a big deal. I guess those statements can be made about any pistol.

JSGlock34
01-04-2019, 04:11 PM

I find Glocks to be among the most tolerant pistols when it comes to lubrication and maintenance. My Glocks have all sailed through the 2000 round challenge with just a few drops a lube on the recommended areas. I'm not religious about changing the RSAs either and have never had problems. I've always had good experience with Glock OEM magazines.

In my experience, the 5" 1911 in .45 is the most reliable configuration. My Wilson Combat Protector Elite has proven quite reliable, but I find it needs more frequent attention in terms of lubrication and spring replacement than a Glock. Furthermore, magazines can vary greatly, even from the same manufacturer. I've had older Wilson 47D magazines start to lose tension relatively quickly, resulting in failures to lock back, while the ETM magazines have proven to have a longer spring life. I think highly of the Wilson ETM/HD+P or Vickers magazines with the flat wire springs.

As for 9mm 1911s, I've found them much more sensitive to lubrication issues than their .45 counterparts, and far more sensitive than a Glock. I think a 9mm 1911 needs to be cleaned and lubed more frequently than the polymer competition.

I think any of these pistols can be carry reliable, but to keep them that way, the 1911s require more attention.