PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Beretta 92, Complete!

medmo
12-31-2018, 01:11 PM
Perfect, at least according to me. This all started with a trip to Arizona last summer. While exiting a local range after a session and walking by a display case a used Beretta 96A1 caught my eye. The low sticker price ($340) had me doing a quick function check and soon afterward payment and FFL xfer arrangements back to Texas. So, it began, my version of a perfect Beretta 92. Five months later, (Ta Da!), it is done. I finished it with the bbl cut and crown over the weekend. Here are the Project My Perfect Beretta 92 details:

Change to 9mm - Replaced the bbl and extractor with Beretta 9mm parts.
Change from F to G - Replaced levers with Beretta G conversion levers.
Trigger Work - LTT Trigger Job in a Bag, 12# hammer spring, LTT spurless hammer. DA is now 6.5lbs and SA is 3lbs. Oh, so sweet.
Trigger/Recoil Spring Guide - Replaced with metal parts.
Mag Release Button - Replaced with Beretta extended version.
Sights - Replaced with AmeriGlo, orange tritium front, plain black tritium rear.
Grips - LTT grips, hex head screws.
Lanyard Loop - Removed, (belt sander), recoated black epoxy paint.
Barrel - Cut down from 4.9” to 4.7”, recrown.

I’ve been shooting it along the way with zero problems. I’m looking forward to getting it out for a test fire post bbl work and finally getting to shoot the finished project. Originally, I was going to Cerakote it. Since the current factory finish is decent I’m going to leave it as is for now. I’ll worry about it after I wear some of it off.

Happy New Year to you, me and my “Perfect Beretta 92!”

Balisong
12-31-2018, 03:16 PM
Nice, I like how clean the back looks with the spurless hammer. Any thoughts of going with low profile/stealth decocker levers for an even cleaner look?

I also find those much friendlier to my hands YMMV

medmo
12-31-2018, 03:35 PM
Nice, I like how clean the back looks with the spurless hammer. Any thoughts of going with low profile/stealth decocker levers for an even cleaner look?

I also find those much friendlier to my hands YMMV

Agreed, I like stealth levers also and have them on both of the Px4s. I also have the LTT spurless hammers on both Px4s. Since this pistol won’t be doing any IWB concealment time I decided to go with the stock levers.

Canyonrat
12-31-2018, 06:15 PM
Nice look... kind of familiar. :cool: (Both my 92’s sport LTT grips and Spartan sights too, love them.) What did it all add up to compared to buying an Elite LTT? I’m surprised you bought a 4.9” barrel and did a cut/recrown instead of finding a 4.7” up front.

medmo
12-31-2018, 08:35 PM
Nice look... kind of familiar. :cool: (Both my 92’s sport LTT grips and Spartan sights too, love them.) What did it all add up to compared to buying an Elite LTT? I’m surprised you bought a 4.9” barrel and did a cut/recrown instead of finding a 4.7” up front.

Well, CR, that is one excellent question that I’ve pondered a few times. I’ll go through the numbers and post the sum of all the parts minus my free labor. 😳 I’m pretty sure it’s going to be close to the cost of an EL Elite LTT. But what fun is that? That whole instant gratification thing is so over rated. Hell, anyone can just order the gun they want and be done with it.

How about those LTT grips? Pretty amazing, huh? Makes the 92 feel like a completely different pistol in a “holy crap, awesome” kind of way.

medmo
01-01-2019, 07:12 PM

Okay, just summed it up. The cost for the parts is $714. The total pistol cost was around $380 so the total package was about $1,100. A 92 Elite LTT would only be a few hundred dollars more. I enjoyed the project so for me it was worth it. Keeps me out of trouble. If I can sneak off to the range and get a few hundred rounds through it tomorrow I'll be really happy. If I do, I'll post results.

Canyonrat
01-01-2019, 07:51 PM
Okay, just summed it up. The cost for the parts is $714. The total pistol cost was around $380 so the total package was about $1,100. A 92 Elite LTT would only be a few hundred dollars more. I enjoyed the project so for me it was worth it. Keeps me out of trouble. If I can sneak off to the range and get a few hundred rounds through it tomorrow I'll be really happy. If I do, I'll post results.

Not bad, I totally get it. Very interesting that you converted a .40 S&W! I have the Elite LTT, but then I have a 92A1 that I have "Langdon-ized" with many of the same upgrades as you. The build is the fun! :D

JonInWA
01-01-2019, 07:56 PM
Nicely played, with the self-satisfaction you got as a bonus. I personally prefer slotted screws for my grips, as they're inherently a bit stronger, and if any field tightening is needed, I'm more likely to have the right (or an adaptable) tool. Best, Jon

medmo
01-02-2019, 06:54 PM
Squeezed in a quick range trip. I was in a rush so was only able to bang through a hundred rounds of 115gr ball at 7 yards off hand. Results, very sweet, indeed! The pistol shot one ragged hole, (I contributed to a couple of non-ragged hole flyers), with zero failures.