PDA

View Full Version : New Diamondback db380

dfesmire99
12-30-2018, 08:17 PM
Hello all! New to this forum so please take it easy on me!!😂 My new db380 wants to jam on occasion. Got it to CC here in TN. Not terribly bad but enough that it's a bit aggrevating for sure. Any tricks you guys/gals have up your sleeves that might be of som help regarding this situation. Your input is most appreciated. Thanks, Dennis

TheNewbie
12-30-2018, 08:33 PM
Hello all! New to this forum so please take it easy on me!!😂 My new db380 wants to jam on occasion. Got it to CC here in TN. Not terribly bad but enough that it's a bit aggrevating for sure. Any tricks you guys/gals have up your sleeves that might be of som help regarding this situation. Your input is most appreciated. Thanks, Dennis

Welcome to the forum. I think you will find this place a wealth of information.

Are you new to CCW or firearms?

The only .380s I have ever had that were reliable is two Gen 1 LCPs. Diamondback is not one I have personally tried, but to my knowledge they have a poor reputation.

My suggestion is to get a better CCW weapon that is known for reliability and usefulness, practice with the weapon, and be happier.

WDR
12-30-2018, 08:35 PM
Sell it and buy a Glock 42. Not trying to be snarky.

BehindBlueI's
12-30-2018, 09:48 PM

This. Or a Shield. Unless you're just in love with the .380, there's no real reason to select it today with the available choices in 9mm in very small sizes. Glock 43, Shield, PPS, etc.

A weapon that you intend to carry not functioning correctly isn't aggravating, it's potentially deadly.

ragnar_d
12-30-2018, 10:27 PM

This. Or a Shield. Unless you're just in love with the .380, there's no real reason to select it today with the available choices in 9mm in very small sizes. Glock 43, Shield, PPS, etc.

A weapon that you intend to carry not functioning correctly isn't aggravating, it's potentially deadly.

I'll throw in here too. I've shot both the DB380 and it's larger brother the DB9 (and more small 380s than I even care to admit). Neither were really that great and I handed the DB9 back to its owner after half a magazine (it was miserable to shoot). For the DB380, there wasn't anything about it that would have made me choose the DB380 over even a P3AT or P32. With options like the G42, the DB380 just doesn't really stand out as something worth messing with . . . especially if it's giving you trouble.

dfesmire99
12-30-2018, 11:29 PM
Welcome to the forum. I think you will find this place a wealth of information.

Are you new to CCW or firearms?

The only .380s I have ever had that were reliable is two Gen 1 LCPs. Diamondback is not one I have personally tried, but to my knowledge they have a poor reputation.

My suggestion is to get a better CCW weapon that is known for reliability and usefulness, practice with the weapon, and be happier.

Lol, no, I’ve been around firearms most of my life just not had any experience w/ the db380. Got it for CC & the smaller size. Maybe it was just a bad choice. Thought you folks might have some details that might make it more “reliable “ as far as the occasional jam. Thanks to you all for your comments!!🏁🏁🇺🇸🇺🇸

LockedBreech
12-31-2018, 12:24 AM
OP, if you can't afford an upgrade to a Glock or a 9mm platform, even the Ruger LCP would be a decent step up on quality. Diamondback pistols simply have an across-the-board reputation for below-average quality and reliability. The LCP is regularly available for $199 or less. It's worth that upgrade, then perhaps later the 250-300 for a jump up to a 9mm platform. Palmetto State had the excellent M&P Shield in the $250 range today, Bud's has it cheap too. The Shield 9mm is my choice for daily carry and is a great gun, recoil is nothin'

Duelist
12-31-2018, 02:20 AM

I don't know any tricks for that platform. What I do know is, there are better, more reliable products out there for about the same money. Spending just a little bit more gets you a whole lot better.

I also know why most people who buy a DB or SCCY or whatever do so: there isn't a lot of money to go for that kind of thing, so they buy what they can scratch up enough money for. Been there. My first gun was a used Ruger MKII .22 that cost about what a new DB costs today, and it was the only gun I had for years b/c I was in college, and newly wed, and had a kid. I could afford to shoot a .22, and it was better than no gun for HD and CC. But it did something your gun doesn't: it worked.

A Ruger LCP is the same caliber as your DB, more concealable, much higher quality, and costs only a few bucks more than a DB380 does new. A KelTec P11, PF9, or P32 costs about the same new. I've had a P11 that never jammed, back when money was pretty tight. Not the funnest gun to shoot, but it worked, crappy sights and trigger and finish and reputation notwithstanding. A few years ago, I got a P32 used for a lot less than new, and it's run everything except S&B ammo without a problem. A Taurus TCP might work, though Taurus isn't awesome either, but is likely better than DB. A used Taurus 85 or 605 revolver would definitely be better than a DB, and cost the same or less.

The only .380s I own are a pair of G42s. They work, without question, every time, and my wife will actually shoot and occasionally carry one. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have ever bought a .380 anything carry gun (might have gotten a Beretta Cheetah, but that's another story). The G42 is a really good gun, but costs significantly more than a DB.

All that said, you already spent your money, and it might be hard to come up with more right away. You said it was new. If you can take it back to the dealer and say, "This doesn't work, I want my money back," will they work with you? If so, then do that and buy something better. If not, then I can only make a couple of suggestions.

First, clean that sucker till it squeaks and then lube it. A lot. Get it really wet on the slide and frame rails, and all over the barrel. Then cycle the action a bunch of times (no ammo), like several hundred times. Dry fire it a bit, too. Then clean and lube more judiciously, but still get it plenty wet. Then try it out with some good quality ball ammo. Don't worry about hollow points. It's most likely to run properly with FMJ ball, so just use that. Run several hundred rounds through it. If it's going to work without returning to the factory for repair or adjustment, by the time it's had 500 or so rounds through it, you should know.

If that works, cool. Use it and save up till you can get something better. If it doesn't, then try dealing with DB on a warranty repair. And save up for something better. If they warranty repair it, cool, then you get to decide about dumping it for cash and adding the money to what you can save up to get something else, or testing it out again with more money spent on ammo.

Personally, I'd dump it as soon as you can. I'd try to get the shop that sold it to you to take it back as defective and get your money back. If they'll only give store credit, that's fine as long as they sell stuff that's better than DB and Lorcin and SCCY and other guns with less than stellar reputations.

Please don't take any of this, or what others have said, as someone being mean. We want people who ask for advise to get good advice, and being told your gun needs replacing rather than going through a frustrating repair saga is simply people trying to help you out. Many of us have bought the cheap guns, and learned why to avoid doing that if you can through our own experiences, and will try to impart a measure of the benefit of that experience to you.

Good luck.

dfesmire99
01-02-2019, 12:18 PM
I don't know any tricks for that platform. What I do know is, there are better, more reliable products out there for about the same money. Spending just a little bit more gets you a whole lot better.

I also know why most people who buy a DB or SCCY or whatever do so: there isn't a lot of money to go for that kind of thing, so they buy what they can scratch up enough money for. Been there. My first gun was a used Ruger MKII .22 that cost about what a new DB costs today, and it was the only gun I had for years b/c I was in college, and newly wed, and had a kid. I could afford to shoot a .22, and it was better than no gun for HD and CC. But it did something your gun doesn't: it worked.

A Ruger LCP is the same caliber as your DB, more concealable, much higher quality, and costs only a few bucks more than a DB380 does new. A KelTec P11, PF9, or P32 costs about the same new. I've had a P11 that never jammed, back when money was pretty tight. Not the funnest gun to shoot, but it worked, crappy sights and trigger and finish and reputation notwithstanding. A few years ago, I got a P32 used for a lot less than new, and it's run everything except S&B ammo without a problem. A Taurus TCP might work, though Taurus isn't awesome either, but is likely better than DB. A used Taurus 85 or 605 revolver would definitely be better than a DB, and cost the same or less.

The only .380s I own are a pair of G42s. They work, without question, every time, and my wife will actually shoot and occasionally carry one. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have ever bought a .380 anything carry gun (might have gotten a Beretta Cheetah, but that's another story). The G42 is a really good gun, but costs significantly more than a DB.

All that said, you already spent your money, and it might be hard to come up with more right away. You said it was new. If you can take it back to the dealer and say, "This doesn't work, I want my money back," will they work with you? If so, then do that and buy something better. If not, then I can only make a couple of suggestions.

First, clean that sucker till it squeaks and then lube it. A lot. Get it really wet on the slide and frame rails, and all over the barrel. Then cycle the action a bunch of times (no ammo), like several hundred times. Dry fire it a bit, too. Then clean and lube more judiciously, but still get it plenty wet. Then try it out with some good quality ball ammo. Don't worry about hollow points. It's most likely to run properly with FMJ ball, so just use that. Run several hundred rounds through it. If it's going to work without returning to the factory for repair or adjustment, by the time it's had 500 or so rounds through it, you should know.

If that works, cool. Use it and save up till you can get something better. If it doesn't, then try dealing with DB on a warranty repair. And save up for something better. If they warranty repair it, cool, then you get to decide about dumping it for cash and adding the money to what you can save up to get something else, or testing it out again with more money spent on ammo.

Personally, I'd dump it as soon as you can. I'd try to get the shop that sold it to you to take it back as defective and get your money back. If they'll only give store credit, that's fine as long as they sell stuff that's better than DB and Lorcin and SCCY and other guns with less than stellar reputations.

Please don't take any of this, or what others have said, as someone being mean. We want people who ask for advise to get good advice, and being told your gun needs replacing rather than going through a frustrating repair saga is simply people trying to help you out. Many of us have bought the cheap guns, and learned why to avoid doing that if you can through our own experiences, and will try to impart a measure of the benefit of that experience to you.

Good luck.
Thanks to you all for your comments. All good no doubt! Looking @ getting that Ruger LCP in the near future. Tell me now, where a good place to list my DB380 for sale?? Thanks, Dennis

Joe in PNG
01-02-2019, 03:33 PM
Welcome to the forum.
Now for the bad news- you're not going to get a whole lot for that DB. That's the problem with buying cheap guns- you end up with a cheap gun that's inadequate to your needs, but doesn't have any real resell value... maybe $50 if the guy at the gun counter is feeling generous.

You'll probably want to find a gunshop that sells on consignment, and ask for about 75% of the used retail value (or less).

Wayne Dobbs
01-02-2019, 03:58 PM
I've shot several DB380s in the past and all were execrable POS's. Never had one that would run three magazines of ammo without a major extraction failure. A pox on them...

Duelist
01-02-2019, 04:46 PM
Thanks to you all for your comments. All good no doubt! Looking @ getting that Ruger LCP in the near future. Tell me now, where a good place to list my DB380 for sale?? Thanks, Dennis

I have no idea, beyond trying to get the original seller to take it back. If they won’t, then take it to whomever will buy it and take what you can get.

Hambo
01-02-2019, 05:12 PM
Tell me now, where a good place to list my DB380 for sale?? Thanks, Dennis

Before you go forth to get ass raped on the trade in, do some research on what you want as a replacement. If possible rent your choices and shoot them.

A friend of mine has gone through Kahr .380 and 9mm, DB380 and 9, Beretta Nano, PPS, SIG 938, RM380, SIG365, and LCP II. I've probably missed a few, but you get the point. With the money he lost of each of them he could have bought three Glocks and been done with it.

medmo
01-04-2019, 08:50 PM

Responding to your question rather than offering advice on what other pistol/caliber I think you should be carrying.

How does it jam?
What happens?
Have you tried different ammo? Jams on different types?
Have you tested magazines? Is it magazine specific?
Have you contacted DB?

Every manufacturer let’s loose a few “bad eggs”every now and then. Giving them a chance to make things right is always the best first option.

medmo
01-05-2019, 02:27 AM
I've shot several DB380s in the past and all were execrable POS's. Never had one that would run three magazines of ammo without a major extraction failure. A pox on them...

When do we get to see the video? Several won’t run three magazines without a major extraction failure? C’mon, really? Yes, I’m being snarky and can’t wait to see the video.

RJ
01-05-2019, 08:25 AM

Good luck and hope it works out for you.

Duelist had some great suggestions for making your gun run. I't try that first.

My (very limited) experience was that trading in guns locally eliminated the uncertainty of dealing with an unknown party, and the cost of the shipping, and the FFL fee. Generally I was surprised at the trade-in value I received, but that might be my inexperience in the handgun market. I do know that my LGS was happy to do a deal and it allowed me to get some credit for my "next" gun, since it was a generally a two-transaction event.

In the case of the DB380, gunbroker.com has many of these both new and used. New seem to be anywhere from $150 to $200. Used have starting bids around the low end of that. Based purely on speculation and my few experiences, I would not be surprised to get a trade in value of between $50 and $75 for your gun, possibly more if it in tip top shape. The LGS has to sell it on, and absorb the FFL fees of course.

After buying and selling a few CCW guns last four years, I stopped doing that. I ended up choosing a platform that runs reliably, is accurate, and that I can shoot. While my situation may not be yours in terms of budget, I've not regretted spending a bit more on the handguns, since what I've realized is that the actual handgun purchase price is a small part of the recurring costs of owning a firearm, if you factor in ammo and training and range memberships and so on.

Again, good luck and hope you end up somewhere good, either with this firearm or if you decided to sell it and move on.

VT1032
01-05-2019, 08:34 AM
Thanks to you all for your comments. All good no doubt! Looking @ getting that Ruger LCP in the near future. Tell me now, where a good place to list my DB380 for sale?? Thanks, DennisI don't know if it's been addressed already, but is there a reason you are set on micro compact .380's? For not much more money, you could get an M&P Shield 1.0 in 9mm which would be a proven, shoot able, concealable gun, which shoots a powerful enough round that is capable of consistently penetrating to FBI standards.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

medmo
01-05-2019, 09:36 AM
Comments such as this don’t rise to the level of discourse expected at PF. I would encourage everyone one to be less snarky and more civil when interacting with one another here. If that’s too much to ask, the “good” news is that there are essentially an inifinite number of other gun related forums and FB groups out there where snarky comments aren’t just tolerated, but encouraged — their mods are probably less shitty too.

You are 100% correct, I did cross the line, and apologize for doing so.

Lost River
01-05-2019, 11:15 PM
One possible option, though a "long shot" ( I just pulled a Blue :rolleyes:) and based on location, is maybe look for a gun "Buyback".

I just read a story out of Baltimore where their city "leaders are conducting a program. Here is an excerpt from the article:

The city is offering $100 for long guns or revolvers, $200 for semi-automatics, and $500 for any fully automatic weapons. The firearms do not need to be in working condition. All guns collected will be destroyed.

That would really work out in your favor if you could snag a $100 for your poorly functioning DB! :cool:

Maybe look and see if their are any towns run by liberal retards somewhat close and gather up some additional junk guns, broken mags, anything made by Taurus, RG, Rob Cohen, etc.

Then you would be in a good spot financially to make a new purchase based upon recommendations here.

CHEERS!

dfesmire99
01-06-2019, 06:38 PM
After following your comments & watching a number of YouTube videos (both pro/con of the db380), I made some minor adjustments (mainly polishing moving surfaces/contact points). I ran a number of rounds thru my db today w/o a single failure. Thanks to you all for your help.🏁🏁🇺🇸🇺🇸

scjbash
01-07-2019, 11:38 PM
Duelist I've had a few students show up to basic classes with a Taurus TCP. You won't be surprised to hear that none of them have made it past the second magazine without stoppages. We've handed those students Shields and 43's, and all of them have decided it's worth the extra size to step up to a 9mm.

Chuck Whitlock
01-11-2019, 10:46 AM
Duelist I've had a few students show up to basic classes with a Taurus TCP. You won't be surprised to hear that none of them have made it past the second magazine without stoppages. We've handed those students Shields and 43's, and all of them have decided it's worth the extra size to step up to a 9mm.

That's interesting. I won a TCP as a door prize a while back, and after field strip and lube it went through 50 rounds of FMJ without a bobble. Maybe because it's the model with the blackened stainless slide, or I just lucked into a good example, but it's gone through 150ish rounds, 25-50 at a time, with no malfunctions so far. It does get cleaned and lubed after every range session. I will also point out that I wouldn't have gone out and spent money on it.