PDA

View Full Version : 2019 Scout Rifle Build

Lost River
12-30-2018, 05:35 PM
Friends,

The 2016 Scout rifle thread has been (and is) a fantastic thread.

That said, with recent introductions and advancements, I thought we might want to look at what we might build or buy if we were starting over today.

Personally, I was driving back from Reno to southern ID last night, and had time to contemplate.

This is the punchline. I probably would not go with a bolt action as my one/all around gun for what I do.

A while back I had the chance to shoot some of the new AR-10 type offerings from Savage, and they impressed me more than a little in their accuracy. Reliability was 100%, so there was not much to talk about there.

Today, If I was looking for an all around "practical rifle" that I did not have to concern myself with the laws of "ban states" or other such restrictive nonsense, and was looking purely at what the best tool for the job was, I would opt for one of the compact Savage MSRs in .308.

https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/msr/msr-10/msr-10-hunter

Specs as follows:

A 16" MSR .308.

7.8 #s (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=s) base

Top it with a 2.5-10 compact Nightforce in a lightweight mount.

2-point sling such as a V-tac

Fed with 10 round Magpul mags.

20 rounder optional.

May or may not stick a bipod on, most likely I would.

When I had a chance to shoot samples of these out at Parma ID, a while back, I was duly impressed. Normally when you shoot an AR, you think "Nice gun, but I'd swap the trigger. It needs a new brake, probably swap the xx", etc, etc.

The Savage was G2G right out of the box. Nice trigger. It actually has a brake on it that is effective, the gun fits people well.

I personally don't normally associate Savage with ARs, and certainly not exceptionally well executed ARs. That should change.

I think these are truly sleepers. These are hitting pretty far above what I would have expected.

Post Christmas is a tough time financially, otherwise I would already have one .

2019 could be the year of the Savage Semi Auto Scout Rifle. :cool:

The real question is .308 or 6.5 Creedmoor...

16" or 18" barrel...

Thoughts...

DamonL
12-30-2018, 06:32 PM
You can thank P.E. Kelley for helping Savage to get that rifle right, since he was involved in the development.

It's funny but GJM is exploring the same concept.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?33597-Larger-caliber-semi-auto

I don't think it will be light enough for a real Scout, but I would give up the weight for the semi-auto action. I like your 2019 concept.

16" for .308
18" for 6.5

littlejerry
12-30-2018, 06:52 PM
The Savage caught my eye when it was introduced. Both the price and weight are low, but real-world reviews are few and far between.

A friend purchased the MSR15, and it's a nice rifle for the price. Not revolutionary or anything, just a good rifle for the price. I've been hoping th MSR10 would be similar.

I'd like to see some real world Chrono numbers from the 6.5 and .308 to help make the decision. While I want a Creed I'm worried about factory ammo not playing nice with the gas system. Also concerned about how much of a velocity bump you get vs a 16-18in Grendel in the 120 weight class.

ranger
12-30-2018, 08:13 PM
I built a lightweight 6.8 SPC AR a few years ago. Had it out to the range yesterday. 14.5 inch barrel with AAC 51T flash hider pinned-welded to make 16+ inches. AERO precision scope mount with Vortex Razor LH 1.5-8x32 scope. Very handy and with "75% of the punch of 308" or such. Ammo is reasonably available and there are some very good factory loads available including the Federal 90 Bonded if you can find it not to mention Federal Fusion. I built it with the shorter barrel so it would reduce overall length when suppressor installed - that said, I like the way it handles unsuppressed. You can make same rifle with 16, 18, or 20 inch barrels.

Poconnor
12-30-2018, 08:33 PM
Good timing. I was just researching PTR 91’s since I didn’t know of a good AR10 that wasn’t crazy expensive. I have long wanted an AR10 service rifle with equal reliability and durability of a colt 6920. A super accurate AR10 would be nice but I don’t want to spend $3000 bucks. I would rather put the money towards a scope

msstate56
12-30-2018, 11:28 PM
I built a lightweight 6.8 SPC AR a few years ago. Had it out to the range yesterday. 14.5 inch barrel with AAC 51T flash hider pinned-welded to make 16+ inches. AERO precision scope mount with Vortex Razor LH 1.5-8x32 scope. Very handy and with "75% of the punch of 308" or such. Ammo is reasonably available and there are some very good factory loads available including the Federal 90 Bonded if you can find it not to mention Federal Fusion. I built it with the shorter barrel so it would reduce overall length when suppressor installed - that said, I like the way it handles unsuppressed. You can make same rifle with 16, 18, or 20 inch barrels.

I’ve had a 16” 6.8 SPC AR-15 for years. It’s my favorite rifle and has killed many deer and hogs. I topped it with a 2.5-10x32 Nightforce compact. It’s rediculously accurate (0.5 moa) out to 500 yards. I’ve tried many loads, but my standard these days is a 120gr Hornady SST. I’ve got a .308 AR-10, .308 precision rifle, or .300 Win Mag available- but I pretty much always grab my 6.8 if heading to the woods. It’s especially nice with a TBAC Ultra 7.

drummer
12-30-2018, 11:48 PM
The Savage MSR10 definitely looks like a decent option. As i've said before, I've only handled one at a gunshot, not shot one but they handle nice. There's a couple of things I noticed, the gas blocks aren't pinned and the castle nuts aren't staked. The adjustable gas block may be a nice feature.

The new Colt 6.5 creedmoors are another interesting new option.

OlongJohnson
12-31-2018, 12:20 AM
I like the 6.8 as well. Won't meet George's needs, but works pretty well anywhere a .30-30 would get you by.

Picked up a couple hundred rounds of Fusion from PSA a couple months back for $0.35/rd shipped after rebate.

NH Shooter
12-31-2018, 06:29 AM
I’ve had a 16” 6.8 SPC AR-15 for years.

Does it use proprietary magazines, or will a standard 5.56 mag work?

I assume a 6.8 SPC upper fits a standard 5.56 lower? Retaining the smaller size and lighter weight vs. the larger .308 rifles is appealing.

JHC
12-31-2018, 07:08 AM
I'd say 6.5 Creedmoor if it is to maximize the modern. Sure 6.5 isn't as ubiquitous as .308 today. But a lot of smart rifle people think it is headed for that territory as the medium game caliber standard.

P.S. - that was an ironically funny punch line. ;)

ranger
12-31-2018, 09:28 AM

I assume a 6.8 SPC upper fits a standard 5.56 lower? Retaining the smaller size and lighter weight vs. the larger .308 rifles is appealing.

6.8 SPC fits the AR15 platform - unique barrel, bolt, and magazine. Magazines are not hard to find. I tend to use the cheap ones but there are some from PRI and Barret. There is a MAGPUL 6.8 mag but I believe it is for a specific AR frame and will not fit all ARs.

JPedersen
12-31-2018, 11:55 AM
I just sold my Ruger GSR to pursue this exact same thing!

Another candidate in the price range could be the DPMS GII Lightweight Compact Hunter. (They are out there... but not on the web page for DPMS. Same as lightweight hunter but with 16" barrel and ADJ stock.) Any thoughts on this? What is the current PF group think n DPMS / Big Green and the like?

I read through GJM's thread... and I wish I had the resources to do what he did! I guess what I am really looking at is a budget friendly 2019 scout... BF2019SCOUT.

Looking forward to seeing this unfold. I think the MSR10 is a strong starting point. What could be done to lighten it up more? Also - there seems to be some extra bells and whistles that a scout rifle may not need - for instance: the length of handguard / need for mlok etc. Also - the adjustable stock seems like it could be lightened up with something more basic that you could tayor to your LOP.

Just thinking outloud.

okie john
12-31-2018, 12:19 PM
I like it. With a good 1-6 or 1-8 optic it could be everything that Cooper wanted the Scout to be. It will be interesting to see how folks lighten it up.

Okie John

JHC
12-31-2018, 12:34 PM
I like it. With a good 1-6 or 1-8 optic it could be everything that Cooper wanted the Scout to be. It will be interesting to see how folks lighten it up.

Okie John

Since Chairman Jeff settled on a 2X scout scope - could save about a pound with the Leu Ultralight 2.5X (5 oz) mounted conventionally. Or not quite that much with a 1-4. As far as being able to match the original concept for capability. ???

STI
12-31-2018, 12:35 PM
6.8 SPC fits the AR15 platform - unique barrel, bolt, and magazine. Magazines are not hard to find. I tend to use the cheap ones but there are some from PRI and Barret. There is a MAGPUL 6.8 mag but I believe it is for a specific AR frame and will not fit all ARs.

ASC, CPD, PRI, Barrett are reported to be the most consistently reliable. The LWRC 6.8 offering was developed jointly with the exclusive Magpul mags as reported. The magwell in the lower is bigger to accommodate magazines with more room for long OAL rounds.

AR Performance is a really popular and well reputed 6.8 barrel and bolt maker, often under MOA with factory rounds. Also faster velocities at same barrel length due to some magic modified 5R or 3R rifling. I have a 6.8 18" SOCOM profile rifle gas barrel on the build table missing half its parts, I'll report in when it's running.

ranger
12-31-2018, 02:58 PM
I wonder if this will be the AR12 year for an “intermediate” cartridge that is too long to fit AR15 but does not require AR10 frame. Seems like the .mil new round may be in that length.

okie john
12-31-2018, 03:06 PM
Since Chairman Jeff settled on a 2X scout scope - could save about a pound with the Leu Ultralight 2.5X (5 oz) mounted conventionally. Or not quite that much with a 1-4. As far as being able to match the original concept for capability. ???

Cooper specified a 1-2x scope, but grossly overstated its usefulness. Up close, they're faster than more powerful scopes but far harder to use beyond about 250 yards unless the target is in the open. His oft-cited maximum effective range of 400 yards may be true for the cartridge, but not for that optic.

Also, the ability to crank up magnification can come in very handy. Based on my experience with GP rifles, 4x is about right and a 3-9 covers a lot more bases than you'd think. If I anticipated a lot of very close range engagements, then 1-6 or 1-8 would get the nod.

A number of Gunsite alums have mentioned that the winner in 270 class shootoffs rarely if ever used a Scout, which I think is telling.

Okie John

JHC
12-31-2018, 03:33 PM
Cooper specified a 1-2x scope, but grossly overstated its usefulness. Up close, they're faster than more powerful scopes but far harder to use beyond about 250 yards unless the target is in the open. His oft-cited maximum effective range of 400 yards may be true for the cartridge, but not for that optic.

Also, the ability to crank up magnification can come in very handy. Based on my experience with GP rifles, 4x is about right and a 3-9 covers a lot more bases than you'd think. If I anticipated a lot of very close range engagements, then 1-6 or 1-8 would get the nod.

A number of Gunsite alums have mentioned that the winner in 270 class shootoffs rarely if ever used a Scout, which I think is telling.

Okie John

Excellent! Very interesting about the 270 class shoot offs.

paulw
12-31-2018, 03:42 PM
My version of an AR Scout in 6.5 Grendel.

16” Faxon monster barrel & bolt (group buy from 65 Grendel forum)
Aero BC, mount, VG65 muzzle device
Larue MBT
New Frontier C4 side charge upper
Leupold MK AR 1.5 x 4 Firedot SPR
Magpul CTR & cheek riser
PSA lower and LPK

Weighs 7# 7 oz. as its shown (11 oz lighter than my Ruger GSR with a Leupold FX-II IER)

msstate56
12-31-2018, 03:46 PM

Yes, 6.8 uses it’s own magazine. I’ve had good luck with ASC 15 and 25 round versions. They can be had for $13-14. 44mag.com is a good place. The 15 is the same size as a 20 round 5.56 mag. It runs on any standard AR-15 lower. I think it’s perfect for medium game inside 300 yards. It’s got a much better trajectory than 30-30 btw.

ETA: someone mentioned AR15 Performance barrels. That’s what mine is- a 16” fluted socom. I can’t say enough good things about the tremendous accuracy of this barrel. I often out shoot my .308 precision rifle at 100 with it. I will admit it’s overgassed with my suppressor. But I slowed the bolt down with a Vltor A5-H3 buffer. No malfunctions with that combo.

OlongJohnson
01-01-2019, 10:52 AM
I wonder if this will be the AR12 year for an “intermediate” cartridge that is too long to fit AR15 but does not require AR10 frame. Seems like the .mil new round may be in that length.

Wish someone would hurry up and put that in production.

DamonL
01-01-2019, 02:48 PM
Wish someone would hurry up and put that in production.

https://www.military.com/kitup/2018/12/20/army-seek-prototypes-m4-m249-saw-replacements-early-2019.html

The Army is going to do some prototypes with an intermediate cartridge, but that does not mean they will eventually go to production.

Back on topic. There are several compact AR10's that could fit the GP semi-auto rifle concept on the market now. A few are the DPMS Gen 2, Savage MSR 10, POF Revolution, etc. If you search the internet, you will find posts about sending guns back to fix different issues for all these guns. So GJM did a smart thing by going with Wilson Combat who is known for good customer service. My very limited experience mirrors TCFD273 experience with AR10's. I had an early SR25 that used a Remington barrel. It was reliable through about 500 rounds I fired through it. The only issues were attributed to one bad mag. Accuracy was in the 1.25 to 1.5 range with factory match ammo. I know now that is good for a semi-auto. I sold that rifle many years ago.

Being on a budget, I just put together an Aero Precision M5E in .308 over the past several months. Total cost was under $900. All Aero Precision gun except for stock and grip. The gun was a bit over 9 lbs without optic and mount. Not lightweight at all. I just took it to the range for the first time this past weekend. I shoot a mix of surplus and match ammo. With factory match ammo, I started with a 2 inch group at a hundred and finished with a 1.5 inch group. This was shot rested on a bench.

I am really interested in seeing how ligweight, compact AR10 rifles will perform.

OlongJohnson
01-01-2019, 03:15 PM
https://www.military.com/kitup/2018/12/20/army-seek-prototypes-m4-m249-saw-replacements-early-2019.html

The Army is going to do some prototypes with an intermediate cartridge, but that does not mean they will eventually go to production.

I don't think that is what I was referring to:

Top to bottom: Similarly equipped 7.62mm NATO caliber AR-10 Rifle (9.6 lbs.), 264 USA caliber AR-12 Rifle (7.2 lbs.) and 5.56mm NATO M4 Carbine (6.2 lbs.). The intermediate 264 USA caliber rifle weighs close to the M4 Carbine yet outperforms the 7.62mm NATO AR-10 weighing 2.4 pounds more. (http://www.sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=2941)

DamonL
01-01-2019, 03:28 PM
The .264 USA is approximately 6.8. I think the prototype is to see what type of firearms a companies can provide in the new caliber. The Next Gen carbine does not have to be an AR pattern. This is a step in the development process for a new rifle.

rob_s
01-01-2019, 05:05 PM
I’ve wanted to think that a .308 semi-auto was a viable otion for a long time. I still don’t think it is, at least for me.

The bolt action still has several (potential) advantages, primary of which for me is cost, weight, and simplicity (vs the complexity of a semi auto).

GJM
01-01-2019, 05:33 PM

Okie John

Excellent! Very interesting about the 270 class shoot offs.

Barring a major mismatch in shooter ability, the gas .308 rifles dominated the Gunsite 270 shootoff for the same reason semi-auto rifles are popular with modern soldiers.

HCM
01-03-2019, 04:37 AM
I don't think that is what I was referring to:

(http://www.sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=2941)

AMU has been using the DPMS Gen II small frame AR-10s as the test beds for the .264 and .277 USA rounds. The so-called “AR-12” depicted there appears to be a smallframe AR-10.

OlongJohnson
01-03-2019, 11:17 AM
I was not aware of that. SAD that the Small Arms Defense Journal would put together that whole article and essentially misrepresent what it is talking about. Wonder if they even knew?

Presumably, the DPMS GII could be shrunk even farther for use with the USA cartridges. Which would be one reason for the .mil to not just buy a bunch of them already.

But I'll have to do some more research on the GII for myself, just to be up to speed if nothing else.

Rex G
01-04-2019, 02:22 PM
I cannot quote chapter and verse, but let’s remember that Col. Jeff Cooper was not actually opposed to autoloading actions, for scout rifles. He wrote words to the effect that the autoloading actions of his time were not yet light enough, in weight, to be considered. Well, the autoloading rifle actions, of the present day, are certainly lighter in weight, than in the past.

I also seem to remember that “Chairman Jeff” wrote favorably, of efforts to build a bigger-bore cartridge, .30, if I recall correctly, based upon the same case head as the .223/5.56 NATO. Does this sound anything like .300 BLK? (I am not trying to say that .300 BLK has nearly the reach of a true intermediate rifle cartridge, but it is reasonably potent within .30 WCF range.)

I also seem to recall that the good Colonel finally mellowed, a bit, regarding the necessity for a scout rifle to “make weight.” I am not quite sure that the Steyr Scout fell within his original scout weight limit.

Perhaps, the man who codified the “scout rifle” concept, several decades ago, might well have a favorable opinion of an AR-based 21st-Century scout rifle, be it an original-sized action in .300 BLK or 6.8 SPC, or the somewhat larger action needed to accommodate .308 Winchester, etc.

Col. Jeff Copper was, actually, quite progressive, in his prime and middle age, looking for better ways to get things done, and promoting what worked. The 2019 Scout Rifle, based upon AR actions, is looking for better ways to get things done.

I just bought a Daniel Defense DDM4 V7 pistol, with the buffer tube on a LAW folder, and “brace.” (Yes, it is a niche weapon.) The 6.8 SPC has my attention, as the chambering for my next AR upper unit, as I have two complete lowers, awaiting jobs to do. This is going to be fun.

DamonL
01-05-2019, 12:41 AM
POF USA is claiming a sub 7 pound .308 AR rifle.

https://pof-usa.com/firearms/revolution-di/

HCM
01-05-2019, 02:56 AM
I was not aware of that. SAD that the Small Arms Defense Journal would put together that whole article and essentially misrepresent what it is talking about. Wonder if they even knew?

Presumably, the DPMS GII could be shrunk even farther for use with the USA cartridges. Which would be one reason for the .mil to not just buy a bunch of them already.

But I'll have to do some more research on the GII for myself, just to be up to speed if nothing else.

The FBI and DEA are buying a G II based .308 from Remington Defense, or TA least they were till the first production guns got recalled.

POF makes a small frame AR-10 and MEGA released one just before they were acquired by ZEV.

Once a cartridge is finalized a true “mid sized / AR-12.5” is certainly possible. The custom sized 6.8 SPC LWRC did fir a Middle East client is an example of how the design can be scaled.

rob_s
01-05-2019, 08:46 AM

As much as I can’t stand POS, that is pretty interesting...

Poconnor
01-24-2019, 12:48 PM
I got a flyer in the mail from Cabelas/ bass pro that the savage msr hunter is going on sale Friday for $1050. I was saving for a bergara but I think I will go look at them

DamonL
01-24-2019, 02:34 PM
I would consider the Savage MSR at that sale price. My Aero Precisicion hobby-gun build was a little under $900. The Larue Ultimate Upper Kit is about $1500 if you buy the lower receiver, too. The Savage falls in between them. Online reviews are generally positive for the MSR. The DPMS G2 has mixed reviews which is what I would expect from them. The POF is still new so I haven't found much worthwhile info online yet.

okie john
01-24-2019, 04:14 PM
I think that a lot of these rifles are built with a sniper or dedicated marksman role in mind. That's typically a 25-year-old in peak physical condition who's getting paid to hump whatever he's issued, so it's OK if it's a little on the heavy side.

I'm 57 years old and I work in advertising. I'll carry this rifle in my hands a lot and shoot it a little, so I'll be a lot more interested if they could get one to 8 pounds scoped with a 20" or (ideally) a 22" barrel.

I don't think that's too far off. An ultralight barrel taper and a short carbon-fiber hand guard would help. Pretty sure I could also live without a brake.

Okie John

NH Shooter
01-24-2019, 04:53 PM
I'm 57 years old and I work in advertising. I'll carry this rifle in my hands a lot and shoot it a little...

Sounds like a pretty hostile office you work in. :-0

okie john
01-24-2019, 06:10 PM
Sounds like a pretty hostile office you work in. :-0

I'm by far the most hostile person there, so it's not as bad as it sounds.

Okie John

DamonL
01-24-2019, 09:46 PM
2A Armament makes a sub 7lb AR10 rifle, too.

https://www.2a-arms.com/product-p/2a-xrc18sc15blk-1.htm

The POF and 2A rifles are not cheap, though.

MSparks909
01-24-2019, 11:25 PM

:eek: Full stop, this rifle has my undivided attention now. Might let my DD5 go to pick up one of these!

madmike262
01-25-2019, 05:45 PM
I kinda have a Scout.Its a Mossberg MVP Patrol 308 with a Vortex 2 X7 X32 scope,great rifle.

Poconnor
01-26-2019, 08:59 AM
I called Cabelas to order the savage msr 10 hunter. I was told that they don’t have any in stock and they were discontinuing it. So apparently they advertised a sale for an item they didn’t have. WTF?

DamonL
01-26-2019, 10:21 AM
According to the website it looks like they have limited stock of the 6.5 at my local Cabelas. No .308. I guess they are blowing out the remaining inventory if they are discontinuing stocking inventory.

Lost River
01-26-2019, 03:35 PM
And Cabelas wonders why people choose to shop elsewhere when it comes to firearms.

They are slowly turning into just another clothing store that once upon a time catered to hunters.

Hambo
01-26-2019, 03:50 PM
I'm 57 years old and I work in advertising. I'll carry this rifle in my hands a lot and shoot it a little, so I'll be a lot more interested if they could get one to 8 pounds scoped with a 20" or (ideally) a 22" barrel.

If ever I heard an argument in favor of a single shot rifle, this is it. I decided to eliminate the excess weight plus BCG, magazine, 19 extra rounds, and went with a 24" TC Encore. Same length as a 20" AR but lighter.

ranger
01-26-2019, 04:43 PM
And Cabelas wonders why people choose to shop elsewhere when it comes to firearms.

They are slowly turning into just another clothing store that once upon a time catered to hunters.

The NW Atlanta Cabelas (Acworth) added a huge amount of clothing after the Bass Pro merger. Took out a lot of ammo and reloading supplies. They seem to be competing with Academy now.

Poconnor
01-30-2019, 06:46 PM
So I originally called Cabelas 1 800 number. No savage MSR 10 hunters in stock. They told me to call a store. I called my local Cabelas and they said they had two 308s in stock. I told him I would buy one over the phone and come out in a couple days to do the paperwork. He said we don’t put guns on hold. I explained that I wanted to pay for it over the phone and then pick it up. He said Cabelas doesn’t do that. So fast forward a few days I call up again and ask if they still have them in stock. Yes ; we have two. So I drive 45 minutes to Cabelas and go to the gun Dept and ask to see one. Salesman 1 can’t find one. All ARs look the same. Salesman 2 finds one in 6.5 creedmoor. Salesman 3 finds a 308 in the same rack that salesman 1 & 2 already looked in. I inspect it and ask salesman one to remove the trigger lock. He refuses; “Cabelas policy” can’t have anyone go terminator. I said I’ll take it and he goes in the back and brings out a new one thus so I have to inspect the new one. It looks nice. $1049 on sale. I grab a couple more PMags and a box of federal 175 gt match and a box of hornady 168 ELDs . I get it outside and remove the trigger lock. The trigger was light but did not impress me. The take up felt weak and the trigger was not that crisp. I plan on cleaning and lubing it. mounting an old Zeiss 3-9x36 seeing how it shoots

Bigghoss
01-30-2019, 07:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YIJSZc9O2c

rob_s
01-31-2019, 08:41 AM
So I originally called Cabelas 1 800 number. No savage MSR 10 hunters in stock. They told me to call a store. I called my local Cabelas and they said they had two 308s in stock. I told him I would buy one over the phone and come out in a couple days to do the paperwork. He said we don’t put guns on hold. I explained that I wanted to pay for it over the phone and then pick it up. He said Cabelas doesn’t do that. So fast forward a few days I call up again and ask if they still have them in stock. Yes ; we have two. So I drive 45 minutes to Cabelas and go to the gun Dept and ask to see one. Salesman 1 can’t find one. All ARs look the same. Salesman 2 finds one in 6.5 creedmoor. Salesman 3 finds a 308 in the same rack that salesman 1 & 2 already looked in. I inspect it and ask salesman one to remove the trigger lock. He refuses; “Cabelas policy” can’t have anyone go terminator. I said I’ll take it and he goes in the back and brings out a new one thus so I have to inspect the new one. It looks nice. $1049 on sale. I grab a couple more PMags and a box of federal 175 gt match and a box of hornady 168 ELDs . I get it outside and remove the trigger lock. The trigger was light but did not impress me. The take up felt weak and the trigger was not that crisp. I plan on cleaning and lubing it. mounting an old Zeiss 3-9x36 seeing how it shoots

Will be interested to hear more.

At least the trigger is an easy part to replace. As compared to, say, the handguard being FUBAR or the barrel being crap.

Speaking of, is the notch in the handguard there to allow adjustment of the gas system?

Poconnor
01-31-2019, 09:04 AM
The notch is to adjust the gas. There is a good video out by PE Kelley on how to adjust it