PDA

View Full Version : Dillon 550 frame breaks after many-many rounds

ranger
12-29-2018, 07:07 PM
Lots of rain in NW GA last week or so. Been prepping brass and reloading. Specifically loading 6.8 SPC because I had collected a bunch of brass and got a deal on pulled Sierra 115 BTHPs. Loaded about 25 to test load - shot great today. All good - started to load in volume and oops. Dillon 550 frame sheared away at the primer system area - no telling how many thousands of rounds this 550 has loaded. No real advance notice, just quit priming since the priming system was no longer lining up, went to line it all up and the priming system came off in my hand. I am sure Dillon will make it right - sent them a note and hope to get feedback after New Years. I have two other 550s so I guess the one dedicated to 9mm will become a 6.8 SPC press for a while. ( I picked up two more 550s "cheap" off local classifieds over the years).

Wheeler
12-29-2018, 07:12 PM
Did you load a lot of rifle on that press? I can't begin to guess how many thousands of rounds of .38 and .357 I've loaded on mine and have yet to see any form of weakness like that.

revchuck38
12-29-2018, 08:04 PM
The piece that the handle screws into cracked on mine a few months back. Dillon gave me the option of them sending me the part or me sending the press to them to repair. I took the second option. I got the press back a couple of weeks later. I think the only original part was the ram and the shell plate, they replaced everything else - basically a new press ten years after I got the original. Great customer service!

ranger
12-29-2018, 09:48 PM
Did you load a lot of rifle on that press? I can't begin to guess how many thousands of rounds of .38 and .357 I've loaded on mine and have yet to see any form of weakness like that.

I bought that press used set up for 223. No idea how many rounds loaded before I got it. I have loaded a lot of 223 with it since I got it. Converting to 6.8 must have jinxed it.

ranger
12-29-2018, 09:50 PM
Yes, I had a Dillon Square Deal in 45ACP that also had a frame break. I sent it back to Dillon and I essentially got a new SDB in return, I think they used the original SDB dies, etc.

Jim Watson
12-29-2018, 10:39 PM
I broke two SDB frames. The second replacement was beefed up, they were paying attention.

Saw pictures of a broken Rockchucker recently.

andre3k
12-30-2018, 12:59 AM
I've seen similar breaks on the Dillon FB group. Its not a common occurrence but apparently it does happen on the 550's and 650's.

Bucky
12-30-2018, 06:33 AM

I load nothing but pistol on my 650. I’ve managed to break the knuckle a few years back, then one of the Arms a year later. I’ve got 500K+ through it. Dillon sent replacement parts both times. They are truly an amazing company. After the arm break, I bought myself a 1050, partly to give thanks to Dillon, partly to treat myself, and partly because I never wanted to be down again, at least for 9mm or .40.

Leroy
12-30-2018, 10:08 AM
Other than the 1050 all Dillon presses have a lifetime warranty. They will replace it or completely rebuild it for free.

WDR
12-30-2018, 08:44 PM
I think this is why Dillon says to take it easy on the torque when installing the primer feeder/magazine assembly on the 550... IIRC over-tightening contributes to this happening.

ranger
12-30-2018, 08:53 PM
Press was dedicated to small primer loads. Never changed, adjusted, etc. the priming system. Not sure what may have happened with original owner but that was a long time ago.

GuanoLoco
12-30-2018, 11:17 PM
I think this is why Dillon says to take it easy on the torque when installing the primer feeder/magazine assembly on the 550... IIRC over-tightening contributes to this happening.

It’s because the steel Allen screws will deform the aluminum housing which then interferes with the primer slide.

BTDT

WDR
12-30-2018, 11:24 PM
It’s because the steel Allen screws will deform the aluminum housing which then interferes with the primer slide.

BTDT

Ahh... that is correct. I've ran into that issue too. I added a JW Systems bearing/plate and cleaned mine up at the same time recently. Much smoother operation, and no sticking. I've been tempted to box up my whole press and send it in for an overhaul/rebuild... mine was used when I got it, and is the older style from before they started adding grease zerks for the pins.

Link to JW systems part: https://www.amazon.com/JW-Systems-Dillon-Primer-Bearing/dp/B01L9Q2TX4

ranger
01-31-2019, 07:36 PM
Update - got my new Dillon 550 frame yesterday. Will bolt it back on my Strong Mount and get it set back up. A very pleased Dillon owner.