PDA

View Full Version : Verboten but not...

RevolverRob
12-29-2018, 12:10 PM
The Soviet 'Pilum' or 'Ballistic Knife' has long been a want of mine, but for a very long time, the law surrounding them was murky and unclear. Recently, it's become clear(er) that acquisition or manufacture of a ballistic knife is legal as long as your intent is not to resale the device in interstate commerce. After searching for a long time, I finally found one that I could purchase in my state of residence and thus not affecting interstate commerce. Even better I always wanted a Variant 3 like that depicted on the cover of Greg Walker's Springblade series of novels from the 1980s (perhaps the source of my desire? :eek:). I purchased the knife months ago and had it shipped home, but hadn't had a chance to open and inspect it prior to a few days ago. Is it perfect? No, this is one of the newer versions, not made to the same degree as the Russian ones, but it's still pretty awesome and satisfies an itch some 20+ years in the making. Plus, the taboo makes it more fun to have.

Glenn E. Meyer
12-29-2018, 12:15 PM
As an aside, in the police shooting of Laquan McDonald in 2014, the defense claimed that the officer kept shooting because he thought McDonald might have some kind of ballistic knife or knife/gun combo. The officer once heard of them. The rarity of such items and the lack of documented use in McDonald's circles did not support that risk claim.

Totem Polar
12-29-2018, 12:24 PM
Pretty cool. If we don’t see video of you launching the blade at a cardboard IPSC/USPSA target from across the living room by the end of the weekend, it didn’t happen. :cool:

Oh, and a poly framed 1911? Surely the lord will smite thee for thy transgressions...

CCT125US
12-29-2018, 01:01 PM
Not certain, but appears one could get crafty with an AR buffer tube and spring. If one was so inclined.

olstyn
12-29-2018, 01:03 PM
a poly framed 1911? Surely the lord will smite thee for thy transgressions...

Looks like a stubby length 2011/USPSA Limited gun reconfigured for carry use to me.

Drang
12-29-2018, 01:12 PM
...this is one of the newer versions, not made to the same degree as the Russian ones...

The idea of having something that is not up to Soviet manufacturing standards...

RevolverRob
12-29-2018, 01:15 PM
Pretty cool. If we don’t see video of you launching the blade at a cardboard IPSC/USPSA target from across the living room by the end of the weekend, it didn’t happen. :cool:

Oh, and a poly framed 1911? Surely the lord will smite thee for thy transgressions...

Says the guy with the poly framed single stack polymer 1911.

I’ll have to build a target, because this thing is supremely powerful. A uspsa across the living room would result in a punctured wall.

Totem Polar
12-29-2018, 01:32 PM

BUSTED

I’ll have to build a target, because this thing is supremely powerful. A uspsa across the living room would result in a punctured wall.

fckng awesome. do it... doooooo it...

RevolverRob
12-29-2018, 02:01 PM
Looks like a stubby length 2011/USPSA Limited gun reconfigured for carry use to me.

It’s a VIP frame with a Vandenbergh-custom upper; Caspian slide, Briley barrel and bushing, Warren sights. Trigger breaks at 4 pounds and is in 9mm. Love it. And I shoot club matches with it in Limited.

BillSWPA
12-29-2018, 02:12 PM
I am very curious to know how accurate and powerful the ballistic knife proves to be.

That looks like a very nice pistol!

RevolverRob
12-29-2018, 04:00 PM
BUSTED

Don't worry, I've got my eye on one of the Rock River 1911s, I wish they'd do a polymer CCO in 9mm. I'd have one as soon as I could.

fckng awesome. do it... doooooo it...

I'll see what I can do, but I've got to head back to Chiraq tomorrow and ballistic knives in IL = No-No, so this thing goes back in the safe very soon.

Norville
12-29-2018, 06:08 PM
I always wanted one, for no reason other than having one was frowned upon.

+1 for video, stat.

Drang
12-29-2018, 07:19 PM
I always wanted one, for no reason other than having one was frowned upon.

+1 for video, stat.

While somersaulting through a flaming hoop, cuz that's how the Spetznaz did it...

GuanoLoco
12-29-2018, 08:59 PM

Yak yak yak yak stop teasing us and show evidence.

Cheap Shot
12-29-2018, 09:59 PM
The Soviet 'Pilum' or 'Ballistic Knife' has long been a want of mine, but for a very long time, the law surrounding them was murky and unclear. Recently, it's become clear(er) that acquisition or manufacture of a ballistic knife is legal as long as your intent is not to resale the device in interstate commerce. After searching for a long time, I finally found one that I could purchase in my state of residence and thus not affecting interstate commerce. Even better I always wanted a Variant 3 like that depicted on the cover of Greg Walker's Springblade series of novels from the 1980s (perhaps the source of my desire? :eek:). I purchased the knife months ago and had it shipped home, but hadn't had a chance to open and inspect it prior to a few days ago. Is it perfect? No, this is one of the newer versions, not made to the same degree as the Russian ones, but it's still pretty awesome and satisfies an itch some 20+ years in the making. Plus, the taboo makes it more fun to have.

That would make a bold statement at the next EWO.....

RevolverRob
12-29-2018, 10:28 PM
That would make a bold statement at the next EWO.....

Dude.. SouthNarc - I think this needs to happen. Would have to be in a state where ballistic knives are legal to possess (Texas would be one).

SeriousStudent
12-30-2018, 12:16 AM
OMG, a blast from the past....

I ordered one of those back in the 1970's, out of the back of Soldier of Fortune magazine. If yours is like mine was, sanding the tubular portions with some 800-grit then 1200-grit wet sandpaper will prove beneficial.

Hambo
12-30-2018, 08:12 AM
The idea of having something that is not up to Soviet manufacturing standards...

Our finest Soviet workmanship, comrade.