PDA

View Full Version : Six Years of EDC With a Benchmade 940

okie john
12-26-2018, 05:22 PM
Putting this out as a data point on a popular, well-regarded EDC blade.

http://i.imgur.com/Qkgl8jz.jpg?3 (https://imgur.com/Qkgl8jz)

The upper knife has been my EDC for the last six years. I use it for everything: opening letters and boxes, cutting food, digging splinters and thorns out of my skin, and cutting rope/string/cordage/targets/ammo boxes/whatever else needs to get cut.

It’s been through the washing machine a couple of times, and I've used it to field dress and gut a blacktail deer and filet a king salmon. I've sharpened it on DMT stones so many times that the blade shape has changed from a modified clip point to a near-Wharncliffe, and the handles are pretty banged up. It's easy to sharpen to a razor edge, and it holds that edge well despite the abuse that I heap upon it daily.

The lower knife is new, and was bought as a spare. I may send the old one to Benchmade for a tune-up. After six years of service, it's about due.

Let me know if you have questions.

Okie John

Mark D
12-27-2018, 01:27 AM
That top one has definielty been sharpened a lot!

I like my 940 but seldom carry it. Instead it's my Griptilian with D2 tool steel in my pocket most days. But I have been tempted to buy one of the more recent carbon fiber 940's.

msstate56
12-30-2018, 11:10 PM
I have the same 940. I’ve had mine for at least 5 years. It’s the best edc I’ve had for casual or church carry. I still use a Griptilian of some variety for “workman” chores, then use the 940 for a bit of elegance.

BTW- Benchmade’s blade replacement prices are very reasonable

23JAZ
02-05-2019, 08:03 PM
Putting this out as a data point on a popular, well-regarded EDC blade.

http://i.imgur.com/Qkgl8jz.jpg?3 (https://imgur.com/Qkgl8jz)

The upper knife has been my EDC for the last six years. I use it for everything: opening letters and boxes, cutting food, digging splinters and thorns out of my skin, and cutting rope/string/cordage/targets/ammo boxes/whatever else needs to get cut.

It’s been through the washing machine a couple of times, and I've used it to field dress and gut a blacktail deer and filet a king salmon. I've sharpened it on DMT stones so many times that the blade shape has changed from a modified clip point to a near-Wharncliffe, and the handles are pretty banged up. It's easy to sharpen to a razor edge, and it holds that edge well despite the abuse that I heap upon it daily.

The lower knife is new, and was bought as a spare. I may send the old one to Benchmade for a tune-up. After six years of service, it's about due.

Let me know if you have questions.

Okie John
John how do you like the thumb stud versus the Spyderco hole? I carry a PM 2 but want something less aggressive looking for work. The 940 looks great I’m just not familiar with it or Benchmade.

okie john
02-05-2019, 08:19 PM
John how do you like the thumb stud versus the Spyderco hole? I carry a PM 2 but want something less aggressive looking for work. The 940 looks great I’m just not familiar with it or Benchmade.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. I haven't carried a Spyderco in years.

Benchmade and Spyderco are both are rock solid. Buy without fear.

Okie John

BillSWPA
02-05-2019, 10:58 PM
Ease of opening is less about thumb stud v. hole and is more about placement of the stud or hole relative to the handle and the blade pivot. Having a handle size and shape, and a pocket clip position that all work together to put the hand in the right position for easy opening are also important.

I have both Spyderco and Benchmade knives, and like both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23JAZ
02-12-2019, 08:12 AM
Six of one, half a dozen of the other. I haven't carried a Spyderco in years.

Benchmade and Spyderco are both are rock solid. Buy without fear.

Okie John
Thanks for the recommendation John. I love this thing. Great lock for a lefty, feels stout, and razor sharp out of the box. BM customer service is very good too. I called them to ask about a deep carry pocket clip and they are sending me one free of charge.

okie john
02-12-2019, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the recommendation John. I love this thing. Great lock for a lefty, feels stout, and razor sharp out of the box. BM customer service is very good too. I called them to ask about a deep carry pocket clip and they are sending me one free of charge.

Glad to help. Will you post before and after shots of the knife with the deep-carry clip? I'd like to see that.

thanks,

Okie John

23JAZ
02-12-2019, 12:50 PM
Glad to help. Will you post before and after shots of the knife with the deep-carry clip? I'd like to see that.

thanks,

Okie John
I will do that as soon as I get it.

23JAZ
02-15-2019, 06:24 PM

thanks,

Okie John
Here you go John.

SecondsCount
03-14-2019, 08:21 AM
My son and a guy that I work with really like their 940's. The guy I work with has the carbon fiber version.

I have been carrying a Griptilian for 16 years and would by another despite the politcs.:rolleyes:

willie
03-24-2019, 01:47 AM
John, thanks for validating my two Spyderkos. I bought a pair 15 years ago and removed the clip from one. Of course, I'm not in your activity category and have cleaned more fish than anything else. Yet I don't baby them.