PDA

View Full Version : J-frame round butt grip discovery

OlongJohnson
12-25-2018, 10:07 AM
I'm messing with a Sile rubber grip (more in a few days) on my 640-1. A couple days ago, I did some minor tweaks to it, and then tried a few presentations. Frustratingly, the front sight ended up about 1/16" above the notch. Over and over. Annoying. I decided I'd work on shaving the lower part of the back strap some more, but it was late, so I put it away. Took it out and tried a few more presentations last night. Same result. Then I tightened my strong hand grip to be a better shooting grip, and watched the front sight drop down to a perfect sight picture.

As the three digits wrapped around the grip on my strong hand tightened to a shooting grip, they pressed the lower part of the round butt into my palm and rotated the whole gun downward. That's cool.

I haven't spent a lot of time (or any, come to think of it) with round butt grips that really fit me well, so I don't think I've had a chance to learn this before. But it seems like something that's good to know.

Zeke38
12-25-2018, 11:42 AM
Grips on a revolver are as important as the sights. If it don't fit it won't shoot. A non-revolver friend of mine always remarks that almost all of my revolvers have aftermarket grips on them. Fit is as important in a revolver as it is in a shotgun.

Sherman A. House DDS
12-26-2018, 08:20 PM
Agreed. People on the outside think it’s crazy, but a bin FULL of grips is a reality if you don’t get lucky in your search.

And unfortunately, much like holsters, there isn’t a carryover success between brands/frames.

Meaning, although I love the Ahrends Finger groove Tactical’s on my J frame, I DONT love the Ahrends Finger Groove Tactical on Square butt K frames.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk