PDA

View Full Version : Suppressed AR used in crime in TN

LittleLebowski
12-24-2018, 02:40 PM
Stolen, I’m sure. Silencerco Omega (https://hansohnbrothers.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_69&product_id=297).

https://komonews.com/news/nation-world/4-suspects-in-custody-after-armed-standoff-christmas-eve-morning-in-mt-juliet-tenn

GuanoLoco
12-24-2018, 02:43 PM
A suppressed supersonic AR isn’t exactly quiet IMHO.

LittleLebowski
12-24-2018, 02:45 PM
A suppressed supersonic AR isn’t exactly quiet IMHO.

Not disagreeing with you. However, .300blk supers are way easier than 5.56 supers.

HCM
12-24-2018, 02:46 PM
Based on the handgun in the other photo released by the PD, a SIG P226 elite with G10 grips and what looks like Dawson sights I’m pretty sure you are right about the guns being stolen.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MtJulietPolice/status/1077222343477526530?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwjla.com%2Fnews%2Fnation-world%2F4-suspects-in-custody-after-armed-standoff-christmas-eve-morning-in-mt-juliet-tenn

GuanoLoco
12-24-2018, 02:48 PM
Not disagreeing with you. However, .300blk supers are way easier than 5.56 supers.

I don’t find 300BLK supers to be quiet at all, and am evven getting. Alot more noise out of a suppressed 300BLK subsonic than, for example, a 9mm subsonic with a lot less powder/gas.

TC215
12-24-2018, 02:53 PM
From the article:

After an hour and a half standoff, the suspects surrendered and were detained. Police said the seized guns were stolen out of Nashville on Dec. 20.

LittleLebowski
12-24-2018, 03:01 PM
I don’t find 300BLK supers to be quiet at all, and am evven getting. Alot more noise out of a suppressed 300BLK subsonic than, for example, a 9mm subsonic with a lot less powder/gas.

Mine are quiet out of a Saker 7.62 on an 11.5” KAC SR-30 and out of a Dead Air Sandman Ti on a PSA 8.5” “pistol.” Leatherhead 220s, I think near 10gr of Lil’Gun. richiecotite was digging the KAC setup, very quiet.

Jay Cunningham
12-24-2018, 03:11 PM
Clearly, we need to heavily regulate suppressors.

Close the suppressor loophole!

CCT125US
12-24-2018, 03:47 PM
Wonder if it was a random or chosen package deal. Steal a car, find some guns. Or target the person with some cool guns, and take the ride. Glad the combo was not used to put rounds on anyone.

Kyle Reese
12-24-2018, 04:33 PM
I'm guessing that the perps will get some super serious probation.....

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Chuck Haggard
12-24-2018, 05:33 PM
Motherfuckers seriously need to start locking their shit up.

LittleLebowski
12-24-2018, 06:15 PM

https://youtu.be/5NP8y63Ms4o

BehindBlueI's
12-24-2018, 06:44 PM
In a metric butt ton of shootings, I know of exactly one with a confirmed use of a suppressor on a long gun. It was recovered and was, in fact, stolen (along with a second suppressed AR also stolen, IIRC). I have exactly one unconfirmed case of a suppressor being used on a handgun. My case, witness and victim described the shooter screwing a tube onto the gun before shooting from the vehicle at victim. Gun was not recovered, unknown if can was real or not.

HCM
12-24-2018, 07:14 PM
I'm guessing that the perps will get some super serious probation.....

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

The juveniles will. The 18 year old is fair game for a federal NFA prosecution. He would likely get more time for the unlawful possession of the suppressor than everything else on the state side.

SeriousStudent
12-24-2018, 07:23 PM
...... He would likely get more time for the unlawful possession of the suppressor than everything else on the state side.

Play stupid games, etc, etc.......

beenalongtime
12-24-2018, 07:52 PM
The juveniles will. The 18 year old is fair game for a federal NFA prosecution. He would likely get more time for the unlawful possession of the suppressor than everything else on the state side.

I think wait and see. I thought Tennessee was a state that had no minimum age a child could be tried/charged as an adult.

Sherman A. House DDS
12-24-2018, 08:19 PM
Things are getting considerably more sporty on the other sides of TN lately. Memphis has always been bad, but Nashville/Middle Tennessee is catching up for a number of reasons.

I’ve trained with Mt Juliet/Wilson County and their solid guys. I’m glad that this ended without our guys getting hurt.

I’m with Chuck...too many Tennesseans use their trucks as holsters/long gun sleeves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SD
12-24-2018, 08:31 PM
Weapons recovered had been reported stolen November 20, as reported by local news. I have no idea what it takes to keep local criminals incarcerated regardless of age and severity of pending charges. It is completely absurd the amount of handguns that are reported stolen from vehicles in the Metro Nashville area, and that is not to mention the smash and grabs at retailers selling firearms.

HCM
12-24-2018, 08:41 PM
I think wait and see. I thought Tennessee was a state that had no minimum age a child could be tried/charged as an adult.

I have no idea on the TN end. You may be correct. On the federal side it would take an act of God to prosecute a juvenile in the federal system.

HCM
12-24-2018, 08:49 PM
Things are getting considerably more sporty on the other sides of TN lately. Memphis has always been bad, but Nashville/Middle Tennessee is catching up for a number of reasons.

I’ve trained with Mt Juliet/Wilson County and their solid guys. I’m glad that this ended without our guys getting hurt.

I’m with Chuck...too many Tennesseans use their trucks as holsters/long gun sleeves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weapons recovered had been reported stolen November 20, as reported by local news. I have no idea what it takes to keep local criminals incarcerated regardless of age and severity of pending charges. It is completely absurd the amount of handguns that are reported stolen from vehicles in the Metro Nashville area, and that is not to mention the smash and grabs at retailers selling firearms.

I am totally on board the “your car is not a holster train” but the news articles didn’t specify whether or not the guns were stolen from a vehicle. That is some pricey hardware for a pair of “car guns.”

We had a case here a few months ago in which a suspect we had contact with as a “suspicious person” a few days prior stole a running, unlocked vehicle from a gas station / store parking lot. Who leaves a running unlocked and unattended car in public? Someone who keeps a loaded handgun in their center console. Unfortunately a pair of good samaritans followed the the suspect while on the phone with 911. When he crashed, the suspect used the car owners gun to shoot and kill one of the good samaritans. But hey what matters is I’m not out a lot of money when my truck gun gets stolen right ?

littlejerry
12-24-2018, 09:32 PM
Clearly, we need to heavily regulate suppressors.

Close the suppressor loophole!
You joke, but someone will be saying it in 3... 2... 1...

If bump stocks are any indication we just have to wait for the next mass shooting with a suppressor and it's game-over.

MD7305
12-24-2018, 09:34 PM

From what I can find in TCA, at 16yrs a juvenile can be transferred and treated as an adult but for the most serious of crimes such as 1st and 2nd murder, rape, aggravated robbery, especially aggravated robbery, kidnapping, etc. etc. Not sure if that's applicable here or not.

Tennessee is a great state but times are changing in relation to crime. I'm on the Eastern end and things are getting sporty out here too.

andre3k
12-24-2018, 10:08 PM

Gun stores are just as bad.

Most of the larger stores don't have the safe space to store their complete inventory and only lock up the high value stuff.

The crooks know this and simply drive an F-250 through the building and get more guns in one lick than two dozen seperate vehicle burglaries.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

andre3k
12-24-2018, 10:12 PM
You joke, but someone will be saying it in 3... 2... 1...

If bump stocks are any indication we just have to wait for the next mass shooting with a suppressor and it's game-over.Chris Dorner, the fired LAPD officer used a suppressor to murder the couple that jumped off his whole little crime spree. I'm surprised that his use of a supressor didnt get more attention, but then his wasn't the typical active shooter incident.

HCM
12-25-2018, 02:11 AM
Chris Dorner, the fired LAPD officer used a suppressor to murder the couple that jumped off his whole little crime spree. I'm surprised that his use of a supressor didnt get more attention, but then his wasn't the typical active shooter incident.

It got enough. His use of a trust to acquire a suppressor, and I believe an SBR directly resulted in the finger print and photo requirements implemented under 41f.

HCM
12-25-2018, 02:19 AM
Gun stores are just as bad.

Most of the larger stores don't have the safe space to store their complete inventory and only lock up the high value stuff.

The crooks know this and simply drive an F-250 through the building and get more guns in one lick than two dozen seperate vehicle burglaries.

No one has safe space for 2,000 fireams but hardening against vehicle smash and grabs is not that costly. There is no excuse for not hardening the whole store at that point.My LGS has steel roll downs inside the windows and 12” steel bollards filled concrete going 4 foot above and 4 foot below ground outside. They still lock up all the NFA stuff at night.

They have been hit once is the past 6 years by a crew who came in through the roof, setting off the alarm.they still had time to grab 30 or so handguns in the minute or two they were in the place.

Rex G
12-25-2018, 09:40 AM
It is nice when crooks have the good manners to take my aging eardrums into consideration.

txdpd
12-26-2018, 01:45 PM
I must be missing the part where any of the guns were used in a crime. All I see is stolen property being found at a crime scene.

The driver will eat any gun charges on the pistol, if he can put behind the wheel. Unless one of them claims the rifle or latents only returns one of their prints (and If it got printed), I doubt anyone will get charged with possessing it. The driver could take the charge by default, but that won’t go anywhere in court. 30 days out would be tough to do a stolen property or theft charge based solely off possession.

My guess is the people that got their shit jacked should be happy getting it back and no one should expect any serious charges.

TC215
12-26-2018, 02:02 PM
I must be missing the part where any of the guns were used in a crime. All I see is stolen property being found at a crime scene.

The driver will eat any gun charges on the pistol, if he can put behind the wheel. Unless one of them claims the rifle or latents only returns one of their prints (and If it got printed), I doubt anyone will get charged with possessing it. The driver could take the charge by default, but that won’t go anywhere in court. 30 days out would be tough to do a stolen property or theft charge based solely off possession.

My guess is the people that got their shit jacked should be happy getting it back and no one should expect any serious charges.

They could easily be charged with possession of stolen property.

Other news stations are reporting that they are alll juveniles. I doubt anything will happen to them beyond probation.