PDA

View Full Version : To buy or not?

CStruthers
03-08-2012, 01:55 PM
I posted on here a week or so ago trying to get a feel for what I should get as a first 9mm. It seemed like the clear choice was Glock 17. Went by the local gun shop and they have a special on a new Sig 2022 9mm. Its going for $395. Should I go for this or wait and spend a little more on a Glock? From what I've read it seems to have some really good reviews but wanted other opinions on it

peterb
03-08-2012, 02:16 PM
A few to read while waiting for replies......

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2881-Sig-SP2022&highlight=2022

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?3162-Recommending-A-Gun-Platform-Today&highlight=2022

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2686-Guns-that-run-out-of-the-box&highlight=2022

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2215-Sig-Question&highlight=2022

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2563-Endurance-Test&highlight=2022

barstoolguru
03-08-2012, 02:30 PM
it really is a personal choice. my first pistol was a 1861 colt army (still have it) and from the first day I shot it I was hooked. next was a used colt 45 commander and I shot that one for a while. then there was 22's 380' 40's and 38's all had a place in the line up. point being get what you can and somewhere down the road trade up or just buy a new one, they all feel good when you get them.

CStruthers
03-08-2012, 03:16 PM
it really is a personal choice. my first pistol was a 1861 colt army (still have it) and from the first day I shot it I was hooked. next was a used colt 45 commander and I shot that one for a while. then there was 22's 380' 40's and 38's all had a place in the line up. point being get what you can and somewhere down the road trade up or just buy a new one, they all feel good when you get them.

This wont be my first pistol, just my first 9mm. I want to get quality but not spend a fortune. That's why I'm asking for others experiences with the particular gun

F-Trooper05
03-08-2012, 03:19 PM

Hmmm, not sure about this advice... :rolleyes:

barstoolguru
03-08-2012, 04:03 PM
Hmmm, not sure about this advice... :rolleyes:

whats bad abouit it? I have never had a gun I didn't enjoy, just some more then others

This wont be my first pistol, just my first 9mm. I want to get quality but not spend a fortune. That's why I'm asking for others experiences with the particular gun

then get a glock 23 and you can buy a lonewolf barrel in 9mm and shoot both

Nephrology
03-08-2012, 04:05 PM

A "line up"? Is he drafting a basketball team here?

OP, it depends what you are buying the gun for. What do you own now? What do you envision using this pistol to do? My first inclination is to wait for the G17. You should be able to find one used for close to that price, maybe a few dollars more.

barstoolguru
03-08-2012, 04:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mzjqyexh2A

looks like a fine gun

F-Trooper05
03-08-2012, 04:31 PM
whats bad abouit it? I have never had a gun I didn't enjoy, just some more then others.

This forum is for shooters, not collectors.

Johnkard
03-08-2012, 04:50 PM
Buy something cheap. The sig2022 sounds like a good gun, but honestly, A glock will be a better learning piece. (not to mention that it will last through 100k rounds)

(anything under 500$ is cheap in the world of firearms...)

barstoolguru
03-08-2012, 06:19 PM
This forum is for shooters, not collectors.

my 1861 colt is a knock off, some Italian made gun and I have had more fun with it. when I take it out to the range and it billows smoke every one stops and looks because no one knows what is happening and then the questions come; big fun for all.

CStruthers
03-08-2012, 07:04 PM
OP, it depends what you are buying the gun for. What do you own now? What do you envision using this pistol to do? My first inclination is to wait for the G17. You should be able to find one used for close to that price, maybe a few dollars more.

I guess I should've said this first. Im looking for something to take out to the range and have some fun with, but not something that will jam frequently or something that I will have to baby. Looking for something well built, reliable, and accurate. I currently have a .45/410 revolver, .38 revolver, and .25(my cricket gun). Just don't have a good range gun. Also could possibly be used as a home defense or carry but thats not playing too big of a role in choosing a gun.

Kyle Reese
03-08-2012, 09:42 PM
I guess I should've said this first. Im looking for something to take out to the range and have some fun with, but not something that will jam frequently or something that I will have to baby. Looking for something well built, reliable, and accurate. I currently have a .45/410 revolver, .38 revolver, and .25(my cricket gun). Just don't have a good range gun. Also could possibly be used as a home defense or carry but thats not playing too big of a role in choosing a gun.

Gen 3 Glock 17 or 19 will suit your needs.

Kimura
03-08-2012, 10:15 PM
I posted on here a week or so ago trying to get a feel for what I should get as a first 9mm. It seemed like the clear choice was Glock 17. Went by the local gun shop and they have a special on a new Sig 2022 9mm. Its going for $395. Should I go for this or wait and spend a little more on a Glock? From what I've read it seems to have some really good reviews but wanted other opinions on it

Have you shot them both? If not, can you? I would say rent both, run a few hundred rounds through each and see which one you like better. Make the choice that way.

BWT
03-09-2012, 01:04 AM
ETA 2: I forgot a critical portion, to address the OP. I would say, I like Glocks, used Glocks can be found in that price range, if that price difference really swayed your decision, pickup a used Glock 17 Gen 3. What are you looking to do with it, honestly? If it's a range gun, then.... buy what you'd enjoy shooting, if you're looking to get really serious about shooting what you carry, you need to find something very comparable to what you carry/use. Frankly, I'm kicking around the idea of a black powder pistol in the future someday, I don't know when, but why? Because it's fun, why not? It won't break the bank, but it'll probably put a smile on anybody's face that shoots it, and remind of us of all the old westerns, am I going to get rid of the AR-15 and Glock? Not quite. But sometimes it's just good to not take yourself so seriously. Eying a 18'' SXS Coach gun eventually as well, and a Mosin-Nagant. I fill the critical roles I needed with quality stuff, I plan on building an SBR eventually, a BCM SBR, like my BCM Midlength, I also have an Arsenal AK, etc, but, there's a place for the inexpensive fun guns as well. I bought a Red Ryder for my brother for christmas. :D I don't take myself too seriously, but, it is what it is.

(Resume original post)

My theory is, I buy quality guns to fill a specific purpose, that purpose will dictate how much I'm willing to spend, I figure once I've bought a gun to fill all the purposes I need I can start buying cheap guns.

That's what I tell myself anyway. :D

Because I'm sure my taste for quality will just go down hill with time and experience, some day that hi-point will look at me just right and I'll say to myself "What have I been missing all these years?"

I would say this is a forum of shooters, as a side note. But I'd also say every shooter has changed platforms at some point when they found something good enough to justify the change.

ETA: Personally, I don't like selling guns, I may not ever want to depend on my CBOB again for Self-Defense. But I don't ever plan to sell it either, I find it's important to keep certain things, reference points of prior knowledge, you can pick something up, remember why you choose and it, and then recall why you left it as well. Case in point, I went with a Gen 4 Glock partially for the RTF (Rough Textured Frame), because everything was stippled or checkered on my 1911, heck the trigger was even serrated, I liked that.

What I didn't like was the magazine release caused me to shift my firing grip (The Larger magazine release is also part of the reason I went to the Gen 4 over the Gen 3, and yes it has the latest I believe 32907, or something like that ejector, so I figured, let's throw the dice, so far, so good).

I didn't like the slide release/stop on the 1911, because I couldn't manipulate it to release the slide in any kind of convenient fashion. and I remembered that when I went to buy another handgun, and that drove me away from the S&W M&P.

I also remembered that the 3.5 lb LWD disconnector, Extended magazine release, Glockmeister Grip plug, Extended Slide release and (even though I haven't installed it, jury's still out for me, if I run into a reliability issue, I will) non-LCI extractor, didn't cost as much one pair of VZ G10 grips for a 1911. ;)

Lessons learned.