PDA

View Full Version : Back to the light!

LockedBreech
12-19-2018, 11:12 AM
Hey all. For anyone who cares (PF has been great about caring but I never like to assume):

I am still considering JAG as a 3-5 year option but came to the conclusion that my health and fitness are going to be a bit longer a haul than I thought (not just weight, I've had a few surgeries that limit exercise intensity and frequency).

So, I needed a job in the long haul.

When I started posting here in 2014 to December 2016, I worked as a primarily misdemeanor prosecutor with occasional felony work. Then for the past two years I did defense, divorces, and custody, which I violently have disliked.

Last Friday, I interviewed in a town I like much better than my current one, and I got the job. As a felony prosecutor.

To my surprise, my crazy dense trial experience the last few years was the most in the office, so they're not just putting me on felonies, they're making me their lead felony prosecutor on violent crimes and major drug crimes. The other prosecutors will take all the property crimes, domestics, misdemeanors, and simple possessions off my hands. I'm going to be able to just go after the baddest guys.

30 is pretty young for this, and as a bonus I am really good friends (10 years plus) with a lot of the law enforcement officers in this town already, so I am going to have a head start in the trust of the officers I work with.

It's nice to be back prosecuting. I think I am due for a sig line change. :)

Thanks to everyone who provided career path input, especially on the JAG stuff. All very helpful.

blues
12-19-2018, 11:15 AM
Congrats! This sounds like it may be a good fit and just the thing you needed. :cool:

Guinnessman
12-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Congrats! Now go out there and kick some ASS!

okie john
12-19-2018, 02:34 PM
You're in a position to do a lot of good for a lot of people, and they'll be counting on you.

Well done.

Okie John

LockedBreech
12-19-2018, 02:44 PM
Thanks guys. I don't move until next month but I called today and asked them to send me discovery and reports for an agg assault trial in March and a murder in April. Looks like we're jumpin' in with both feet. I'll do my best work.

BillSWPA
12-19-2018, 04:08 PM
Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RevolverRob
12-19-2018, 04:56 PM
It sounds like a positive direction for you! Those last couple of years may have been a real drag, but look at the bright side, that slog helped you break through at an earlier age than most. The slog is the toughest part, the silver lining is, in a couple of more years? You'll look back at that period and be glad you did it. There was a motivation in you to stick with it and hindsight being 20-20 will certainly help you make peace with it.

GyroF-16
12-19-2018, 04:56 PM
Congratulations on the new job!

That sounds like a great move - great professional advancement and likely some good job satisfaction.

I’m very pleased for you.

Chuck Whitlock
12-20-2018, 05:01 PM
Congratulations!

Drang
12-20-2018, 06:34 PM
Congratulations!

If you're still interested in he JAG gig, may I repeat my suggestion of checking with the National Guard or a Reserve element?

SeriousStudent
12-20-2018, 09:01 PM
Sweet! I hope all goes well, and I know you will do a great job smiting bad people.

HCM
12-21-2018, 12:04 AM
https://youtu.be/7ATBbrfmzc0

WobblyPossum
12-21-2018, 05:54 AM
Congratulations! This sounds like a position you’ll be much happier in that will give you the job satisfaction you’ve been looking for. You’ll be doing good work.

Sero Sed Serio
12-22-2018, 02:25 PM
I'm a little late to the party, but congratulations! For what it's worth, I (random user name on the Gun Nut Forum) both care and am really excited about your news! From your posts and our discussions, it seems like this is really where your heart is.

I have really come to believe that the best criminal attorneys are those who have worked both sides or are at least willing to work both sides--having both perspectives is a good thing for figuring out what is a truly just outcome for any given case. I suspect that this will be reflected in your unit's plea policies (to the extent that you have control over them), and that you will do an excellent job figuring out who needs to be hammered, who might be able to be fixed, and how to get what you can out of a case with bad facts/evidence.

And if your office doesn't already have a policy, set up a CCW program ASAP!

Looking forward to reading about the cases and courtroom antics that I'm sure are coming.