PDA

View Full Version : Remington 870 flex-tab conversion

That Guy
12-16-2018, 08:47 AM
So, I have my new shotgun, and if I have interpreted the serial number correctly, it's made in -78. At any rate, it does not have the flex-tab parts on it.

What I've quickly read from on-line and the Kuhnhausen manual, the flex-tab manual was developed to address a jamming issue that surfaced in older, worn guns used by inexperienced shooters. I guess I am not in the position to accurately judge my own shooting skill, however my gun appears to be basically brand spanking new. (The previous owner was a gun collector.)

My question is, how important is it in actual practice to have the flex-tab modification made to this gun, in order to ensure reliability? (I am guessing there is no way to buy the parts, so I'd have to have a gun smith modify the existing parts. Considering the skill level of some of the local "gun smiths", this makes me uneasy at the thought...)

Norville
12-16-2018, 11:29 AM
If you let a shell get caught between the bolt and lifter, you can tie up the gun pretty solid. Mortar strike the butt on the ground sometimes clears it, or a key or knife blade to stuff the shell back into the mag tube, but other times it’s disassembly and bad language that is required. If you load and cycle perfectly always, you don’t need it.

The parts are available, Brownells (out of stock) and AIP Tactical have them. Installation is pretty straight forward.

I have a beautiful early 80s Wingmaster that I want to cut to 18” for a retro tactical project. It needs the flex tab parts as well, but I haven’t gotten around to it. I’ll miss the chromed bolt if I do the conversion as the flex tab bolts are black parkerized.

If you are going to use it is a defensive role I’d say the conversion is cheap insurance. For a range gun, maybe you don’t need to bother.

farscott
12-16-2018, 01:24 PM
The flexitab conversion was not designed to solve a reliability issue; it was designed to allow easier clearing of a short-stroke action cycle causing a jam or if a shell latch released a shell at the wrong time (worn shell latch). If the gun is being used for sport, I would not consider the conversion. If the gun is going to be used for defensive purposes, it needs the conversion. Otherwise you may need to disassemble the gun to clear the jam.

Based on the fact that you are not in the USA, I would not even try to get the parts or do the conversion existing parts locally. The conversion involves three different components: the shell carrier, the bolt carrier, and the bolt. The "U" in the shell carrier is the easy modification; trimming the bolt carrier is not too bad. Modifying the bolt is a PITA.

In the USA, the most inexpensive way to do the conversion is to buy another 870 with the flexitab parts and swap the appropriate parts. The kit itself is $120 in the USA, and one can sell the second shotgun at a lesser loss than $120.

Rack
11-17-2019, 03:29 PM
The flexitab conversion was not designed to solve a reliability issue; it was designed to allow easier clearing of a short-stroke action cycle causing a jam or if a shell latch released a shell at the wrong time (worn shell latch). If the gun is being used for sport, I would not consider the conversion. If the gun is going to be used for defensive purposes, it needs the conversion. Otherwise you may need to disassemble the gun to clear the jam.

Based on the fact that you are not in the USA, I would not even try to get the parts or do the conversion existing parts locally. The conversion involves three different components: the shell carrier, the bolt carrier, and the bolt. The "U" in the shell carrier is the easy modification; trimming the bolt carrier is not too bad. Modifying the bolt is a PITA.

In the USA, the most inexpensive way to do the conversion is to buy another 870 with the flexitab parts and swap the appropriate parts. The kit itself is $120 in the USA, and one can sell the second shotgun at a lesser loss than $120.

farscott,

I know this is an older post, but great info, as usual. I've found many good tips from your comments over the years.

Best,

R.

HCM
01-24-2023, 10:04 AM
Anyone have a current source for flex tab conversion parts for the 870 ?

LHS
01-24-2023, 11:18 AM

I'm not sure that the new Remington is even selling them separately at present. You might check with Vang and see if they know of any.

gato naranja
01-24-2023, 11:24 AM
The conversion involves three different components: the shell carrier, the bolt carrier, and the bolt. The "U" in the shell carrier is the easy modification; trimming the bolt carrier is not too bad. Modifying the bolt is a PITA.

If a person has access to decent machine tools and knows what they are about, it isn't too difficult to do if they have a set of the flextab parts to use as a guide.

A tool and die guy I know did the job on his own older Wingmaster and he told me that if enough people wanted it done, he could probably modify the parts in batches now and then and keep the cost down below the (then) kit price, but he would not take on doing them one at a time for anyone but family. I have since wondered if someone like Vang or Wilson Combat would eventually decide to make up jigs/fixtures to offer the service.

Guess not.

01-24-2023, 05:33 PM

If I understand the conversion parts correctly, it is the carrier, slide plate, and bolt that are changed over. I would just hit the internet for used parts and you can probably find something. I know complete trigger plate assemblies and bolt assemblies can be bought off of ebay for about $80 each. That would be $160 for the parts you need, plus some extras. Just make sure they are actually flex tab parts and not really old parts.

Bolt assembly - https://www.ebay.com/itm/364113090989?hash=item54c6d4d9ad:g:ChcAAOSwNUtjxWn E

TPA - https://www.ebay.com/itm/266087797743?hash=item3df41193ef:g:8XAAAOSw7wdjxWp 7

Both from the same seller. If I ID'd the parts correctly, they should be right for the flex tab.

LHS
01-24-2023, 06:01 PM
If I understand the conversion parts correctly, it is the carrier, slide plate, and bolt that are changed over. I would just hit the internet for used parts and you can probably find something. I know complete trigger plate assemblies and bolt assemblies can be bought off of ebay for about $80 each. That would be $160 for the parts you need, plus some extras. Just make sure they are actually flex tab parts and not really old parts.

Bolt assembly - https://www.ebay.com/itm/364113090989?hash=item54c6d4d9ad:g:ChcAAOSwNUtjxWn E

TPA - https://www.ebay.com/itm/266087797743?hash=item3df41193ef:g:8XAAAOSw7wdjxWp 7

Both from the same seller. If I ID'd the parts correctly, they should be right for the flex tab.

It also requires different action bars.

01-24-2023, 06:32 PM
It also requires different action bars.

Do you know what differentiates the two styles of action bars? Would this be an appropriate solution?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266086191927?hash=item3df3f91337:g:03kAAOSwXUJjxAe Y

Jason M
01-24-2023, 07:16 PM
No action bars or shell lifter but AIP has the bolt and plate in stock.

gato naranja
01-24-2023, 07:19 PM
Do you know what differentiates the two styles of action bars? Would this be an appropriate solution?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266086191927?hash=item3df3f91337:g:03kAAOSwXUJjxAe Y

The left bar on the more recent forend tube assembly will have a short raised "nub" near the rear. The fly in the ointment of the "official" Flextab conversion kit is that you get all three parts that are deemed essential, but not the fourth part, which people disagree on. The conversion kit of carrier, slide plate and bolt SHOULD work on an older forend tube assembly, but will be a bit loose. That additional nub on the left bar of the more modern forend tube assembly is designed to keep the slide plate in better alignment. The pics of the one in the link show a "Flextab-approved" example.

I wouldn't worry much about reusing an old forend tube assembly on a waterfowl perforator in decent shape, but I would worry about one on a social management tool.

Because the forend tube assemblies were until recently easily had by anyone who could manage a Brownell's order, there wasn't much fuss in getting one. Things have probably changed, and not for the better.

41magfan
01-24-2023, 07:35 PM
At the dismal rate that Remington has been spooling up production of its firearms line, it may be years before we see parts and accessories come down the pike.

If I had an 870 that needed real attention (and assuming its still available) I'd take advantage of Wilson Combat's "Remington Steal" package which is still listed at $230.

The work entails;

Replace all worn and/or damaged parts including the buttstock and fore-end, convert your chamber to 3”, convert to flexi-tab anti-jam system, install a new magazine spring and follower, replace safety with a jumbo head, replace trigger assembly with a professionally re-manufactured trigger unit, and parkerize your complete shotgun.

L-2
01-25-2023, 07:00 PM
To add to Post 13 and reference for me and anybody else who may be interested, here's Wilson Combat's weblink:
https://www.wilsoncombat.com/shotgun-customization/#remingtonsteal

gato naranja
01-26-2023, 10:07 AM
I have limited first-hand knowledge of Wilson's "Remington Steal" 870 package, but it would save a lot of time and dicking around for the person who just wants to turn an old, pot hunting 870 into a reliable HD/SD gun.

farscott
01-26-2023, 11:01 AM
I have limited first-hand knowledge of Wilson's "Remington Steal" 870 package, but it would save a lot of time and dicking around for the person who just wants to turn an old, pot hunting 870 into a reliable HD/SD gun.

If one does not have the parts or a spare gun, the "Remington Steal" is not too bad at $300 or so with shipping. The latest spin is having to ship via an FFL. Wilson solves that by issuing an RMA so the shipper is an FFL.

Jason M
03-13-2023, 03:57 PM
I have located a source for the parts for whomever needs them. Shoot me a PM for contact info.

richiecotite
03-27-2023, 03:36 PM
Any issues with the the plastic express trigger group? Ordered the parts off eBay and they just came in. Pretty sure they’re just takeoffs from an express gun. I’ve read the polymer piece is preferred compared to the metal trigger guard, for durability reasons, but Only real difference should be the tool steel extractor and the extra power hammer/trigger spring correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gato naranja
03-28-2023, 04:36 PM
Any issues with the the plastic express trigger group? Ordered the parts off eBay and they just came in. Pretty sure they’re just takeoffs from an express gun. I’ve read the polymer piece is preferred compared to the metal trigger guard, for durability reasons, but Only real difference should be the tool steel extractor and the extra power hammer/trigger spring correct?

The trigger housings are a draw, IMHO; I wouldn't spend any money to replace one that was still serviceable regardless whether it was injection-molded polymer or die-cast metal. I believe the carrier dog follower spring and the sear spring are the only two parts on the trigger assembly that would need to be replaced to make it "Police-grade," but I am relying on memory here.

Brian T
03-28-2023, 05:27 PM

Ya'know, I am an 870 snob. Express Mags be damned! Wingmaster is life. That said of all the 870s that I have either owned, shot, or worked on, I have never seen a fouled up trigger guard; metal or plastic.

richiecotite
03-28-2023, 06:18 PM
The trigger housings are a draw, IMHO; I wouldn't spend any money to replace one that was still serviceable regardless whether it was injection-molded polymer or die-cast metal. I believe the carrier dog follower spring and the sear spring are the only two parts on the trigger assembly that would need to be replaced to make it "Police-grade," but I am relying on memory here.

Thanks for the info. I got the new parts from eBay as mentioned….but I also did a thing a few weeks ago and ordered a couple of those $259 police magnum trade ins GT Distributors had. I swapped the flex tab parts from one trade in gun into my main 870 wingmaster.