PDA

View Full Version : M&P Apex barrel update

GJM
03-07-2012, 03:00 PM
Apex M&P barrel update

I pestered Randy Lee so much, that he finally agreed to lend me his prototype barrel to use at a Rogers Shooting School course next week. Randy had told me that this was a prototype barrel, obviously not fit to my slide, and not incorporating final improvements that are in process in the final pre-production test run -- in other words, he worked hard to temper my expectations.

While I really like M&P pistols, I have had a terrible time getting the 9mm models to shoot. Over time, I have accumulated a number of M&P 9's that shoot acceptably if not great, but each one tends to be unique to itself, in shooting just one or two loads, and having widely varying points of impact, especially windage, with different loads. The problem is bad enough, that I have been unable to get a full size 9 that shoots a practice and carry load accurately, to the same point of impact -- causing me to carry a Glock when I carry a 9mm.

I got the Apex barrel in my hot little hands this morning, and despite 25 knots of wind, got to shoot it at 25 yards in two M&P 9mm Pro models. Between the wind, and my 25 yard sitting position, this was a pretty casual test session, but this is what I learned. I shot the following loads, 147 HST, 124+P HST, 124 +P Ranger T, Aguila 124 ball, and Blazer 147 grain TMJ. In my two M&P Pro models, this Apex barrel definitely solved the windage point of impact problem. As to accuracy, in one Pro, the prototype barrel shot comparably to my factory barrel, and in the other Pro, it shot all the loads three inches or better, something I have NEVER experienced in any M&P 9mm.

Assuming the productions barrels do as well as this prototype, and Randy thinks they will be better, I would say that help is finally on the way for M&P 9 shooters!

orionz06
03-07-2012, 03:05 PM
I have no words to describe my envy.

Savage Hands
03-07-2012, 03:16 PM
:cool: My FS9 is getting it and I may even get one for my 9c even though both shoot in the acceptable range in my hands with good ammo when i do my part. The pic below is what i produced the second time shooting my or any M&P for that matter as soon as I got it back from Randy with the trigger work. I've duplicated this with the FS9 and 9c but have a difficult time doing 10 shot groups that I was doing all my group shooting incorrectly and rushing i.e cranking all off 2-3 seconds apart.

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad251/SShenaniguns/57a19281.jpg

G60
03-07-2012, 03:27 PM
I'm a huge fan of Apex parts, and have used 3 DCAEK's and 2 RAM's between the m&p's I've owned, this just makes me that much more upset with S&W. I really wish they'd get the accuracy issue sorted out on their own, instead of m&p owners having to drop another $250 or so just to get out of their guns what should have been taken care of at the factory.

This is not a slight towards Apex, but rather at S&W, I wish this barrel did not need to be produced.

I'm ok with replacing sights and certain trigger components on a carry pistol, but I have to draw the line at replacing barrels just to get decent accuracy.

PLAT0
03-07-2012, 04:22 PM
I'm a huge fan of Apex parts, and have used 3 DCAEK's and 2 RAM's between the m&p's I've owned, this just makes me that much more upset with S&W. I really wish they'd get the accuracy issue sorted out on their own, instead of m&p owners having to drop another $250 or so just to get out of their guns what should have been taken care of at the factory.

This is not a slight towards Apex, but rather at S&W, I wish this barrel did not need to be produced.

I'm ok with replacing sights and certain trigger components on a carry pistol, but I have to draw the line at replacing barrels just to get decent accuracy.

I agree. I really hate this fact too, but who more deserving of more cash in their pockets than the studs at APEX? I'll be picking one up for one of my M&Ps.

dsa
03-07-2012, 04:36 PM
GJM, did Randy give you a time frame when the barrels will be ready for sale? I spoke with Bar-Sto last month and was told that the first run of 500 barrels is going to Apex. At that time the barrels were scheduled for production sometime this month. I was wondering if the Apex crew has any further T&E to do before they start fitting these into customer supplied pistols. Thanks for the update.

orionz06
03-22-2012, 01:11 PM
Are you able to provide any updates?