PDA

View Full Version : Would you consider getting a DA/SA gun for appendix carry?

dookie1481
03-10-2011, 01:37 PM
So AIWB is it for me. I have experimented with strong-side carry a couple of times, but I have been carrying AIWB the majority of the time that I've had my CCW permit. For me, it is far superior in just about every way. The snag is the safety aspect. I have decided to switch to a hammer-fired gun (P30) for reasons that have already been stated by ToddG and TCinVA here and on other boards.

I am considering getting the V3 model instead of the V2 as an additional layer of safety. Would anyone consider doing this? Am I being too paranoid? I know DA/SA tends to have a steeper learning curve, but I also know there are people who learn to shoot it quite well (some of whom do not make a living with gun in hand).

Thanks.

Jay

ToddG
03-10-2011, 01:40 PM
I have nothing against DA/SA guns. Most of my success in the shooting world was with DA/SA guns, and I'm a firm believer that if you're willing to put the time into one it will reap excellent rewards.

From an aiwb standpoint, if you ride the hammer with your strong hand thumb while holstering, the trigger press isn't an issue and a DA/SA gun won't be any safer than an LEM (even a very light LEM). On the other hand, if you forget to ride the hammer with your thumb, you will need to overcome substantially more force -- meaning you'll get substantially more feedback that the gun isn't going into the holster normally -- to AD.

Having said that, I felt perfectly comfortable with the midweight LEM setup on my P30s.

gtmtnbiker98
03-10-2011, 02:56 PM
That's the reason I choose DA/SA for my HK's. I carry AIWB and like that additional safety built-in. YMMV. I could never warm up to LEM, at speed, my shots were always low (I know it was me) but I run DA/SA just fine.

Rverdi
03-10-2011, 04:16 PM
I'm a da/sa guy and have been for the better part of 25 years. I stay with it because it works for me and I've never had any strong motivation to go to another setup.
I did some DAK shooting and and I think the LEM is a strong setup as well. If your not comfortable with a da/sa then one of those (and a couple of others) will give you the hammer security your looking for without the da/sa features it sounds like you don't want.
I'm with you though, and while I'm sure I'll take some heat for it, I'm not carrying a hammerless/striker fired pistol AIWB, which is the only way I carry. Just not happening for me.

LittleLebowski
03-10-2011, 04:19 PM
LEM hammer fired HK were I doing it over. AWIB with a striker fired gun isn't for everyone but I train and carry that way with a healthy amount of caution and worry.

gtmtnbiker98
03-10-2011, 05:59 PM
LEM hammer fired HK were I doing it over. AWIB with a striker fired gun isn't for everyone but I train and carry that way with a healthy amount of caution and worry.
Better man than I am, I just can't do it. Scares me, to the point that I'm not willing to chance it and knowing my luck, well you know how the saying goes.

LittleLebowski
03-10-2011, 06:08 PM
Well I've already been shot so.....

Rverdi
03-10-2011, 06:18 PM
Well I've already been shot so.....

Not me, and more than happy to keep it that way.

LittleLebowski
03-10-2011, 06:49 PM
Not me, and more than happy to keep it that way.

I was referring to lightning hopefully not striking twice :D

Rverdi
03-10-2011, 07:01 PM

I'm rooting for you :)

YVK
03-10-2011, 07:57 PM
I am with Todd in that LEM gives me perception of sufficient margin of safety.

I am with Rich and gtmt in that I can't bring myself to aiwb the glock.

I am fine with carrying a 1911 that way, go figure, I guess two safeties put me at relative ease. I repeat, relative.

gtmtnbiker98
03-10-2011, 08:18 PM
Well I've already been shot so.....True, guess you are like a cat, 8 to go.

TCinVA
03-10-2011, 08:30 PM

I have a theory that it was God's way of punishing you for buying a Kimber.

Slavex
03-11-2011, 05:40 AM
I think I've asked this before, but are any of the AIWB holsters constructed of kevlar or designed to contain a bullet if the gun is fired? I would think that working that into the design of the holster really wouldn't be too hard. Even if it just helped slow the bullet down or deflect it. I know that training and awareness are the number one way to reduce your risk, but manufacturing improvements would help minimize it too.

fuse
03-12-2011, 09:40 PM
I think I've asked this before, but are any of the AIWB holsters constructed of kevlar or designed to contain a bullet if the gun is fired? I would think that working that into the design of the holster really wouldn't be too hard. Even if it just helped slow the bullet down or deflect it. I know that training and awareness are the number one way to reduce your risk, but manufacturing improvements would help minimize it too.

worst idea ever

"pretty sure I can carelessly re-holster because my holster has kevlar in it."

YVK
03-12-2011, 10:00 PM
"pretty sure I can carelessly re-holster because my holster has kevlar in it."

I think it is pretty clear from Rob's post that he doesn't advocate careless gun handling at all; read his last sentence carefully. All he is asking for is extra margin of safety, in addition to careful gun handling.

I think it is a great idea conceptually, but not attainable in practical sense. Kevlar would need to be too thick to contain bullet; with thinner layer, deflection could be unpredictable and can make things worse.

fuse
03-12-2011, 10:09 PM
Indeed I was too harsh. my apologies.

though its a stretch, it did somewhat remind me of the temporary rise in traffic fatalities after airbags became common.

airbags initially gave people a false sense of security, and a higher percentage of people with airbags that otherwise would have did not wear their seatbelts and thus a short spike in otherwise preventable fatalities.

jslaker
03-12-2011, 10:33 PM
How much would kevlar actually help at point blank range? Serious question.

YVK
03-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Depends on how much kevlar, I guess. Level III-A armor is supposed to stop contact pistol shots, I believe - but it is a lot of thickness for a holster.

Slavex
03-13-2011, 04:16 AM
I agree that there is a possibility that adding such a feature, if possible, may induce some to be less careful when holstering. however, I still think it a valid idea. I know a few people (and in Canada nonetheless) who AIWB with Glocks, and they just get a creepy feeling everytime they holster. I doubt they'd get careless if they knew the holster might help contain an ND.