PDA

View Full Version : Sheaths that retain the knife with too much vigor.

Glenn E. Meyer
12-09-2018, 02:49 PM
I've noted that I have some knives were the design of the sheath for retention, retains the knife against reasonable attempts to use it. I got a Glock knife for SO-ing a GSSF match. The accompanying sheath was difficult to use, unless I am missing the magic manipulation. I shaved off some plastic to fix it. Now it won't hold the knife if upside down but since it is a freebie - so what. Another is a 5.11 knife I got at a deep discount. That sheath is impossible. It take considerable effort and a push at the right magic spot to free the knife. I can't do it left handed at all. This is it - https://lapolicegear.com/511-51119.html

It is going into the box of things which you bought and ...

Darth_Uno
12-09-2018, 03:30 PM
I thought my Esee 4 had a very “grabby” sheath. Which may be intentional given what the knife is meant for, but I lightly filed down the nubs inside the sheath and it’s much better, and still in no danger of falling out on its own.

HCM
12-09-2018, 03:39 PM
I've noted that I have some knives were the design of the sheath for retention, retains the knife against reasonable attempts to use it. I got a Glock knife for SO-ing a GSSF match. The accompanying sheath was difficult to use, unless I am missing the magic manipulation. I shaved off some plastic to fix it. Now it won't hold the knife if upside down but since it is a freebie - so what. Another is a 5.11 knife I got at a deep discount. That sheath is impossible. It take considerable effort and a push at the right magic spot to free the knife. I can't do it left handed at all. This is it - https://lapolicegear.com/511-51119.html

It is going into the box of things which you bought and ...

The Glock knife and its sheath were designed for euro military sales. These are the same people who specifically don’t want pistol mags to drop free so you don’t lose them accidentally. Not saying they are right or wrong but in Glocks case it was likely designed that way intentionally.

I would have asked for a Glock Grenade....

SeriousStudent
12-09-2018, 04:02 PM
....snip....

I would have asked for a Glock Grenade....

A Glock 22 with +p ammo?

HCM
12-09-2018, 04:34 PM
A Glock 22 with +p ammo?

No. Glock was a military contractor before they got into pistols they supplied frag grenades to NATO militaries.

My understanding is their frag has a plastic body and the frag is provided by steel ball bearings inside with the explosive charge.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/handguns/Hereandapos_s_my_only_Glock_____/13-70729/

SeriousStudent
12-09-2018, 10:30 PM
I was making a wee little joke about the older models of Glock .40 S&W pistols to experience the dreaded "ka-boom."

HCM
12-10-2018, 12:31 AM
I was making a wee little joke about the older models of Glock .40 S&W pistols to experience the dreaded "ka-boom."

I know but I was being literal. I would definitely pay the $200 for a defective device tax stamp. Ok, $400, I’d need two, one to keep and ... and one to..you know. ...kaboom.

RevolverRob
12-11-2018, 10:40 PM
Plastic sheaths are like a 50-50 proposition. BUT...take some blue painters tape and put 1-2 layers on the knife where it contacts the sheath. Then shove that MF'er in there. Next, put it in the oven at about 150-degrees, or turn the hair dryer on it, the heat gun, whatever. Get it so it's just a bit too hot to touch, but not too soft. Then hold onto it with a pair of oven mitts and withdraw and insert the knife into the sheath about a dozen or so times. Leaving it in on the final one and let it cool. Once it's cooled down to room temp, pull out the knife, strip off the painters tape, and it should slide in and out much easier, but not be rattly loose.

You can honestly do the same with ill-fitting kydex holsters. Try to use the least amount of heat possible.

It's pretty much the reverse of taking a leather holster or sheath and covering the gun/knife with plastic and sticking it in the freezer over night.