PDA

View Full Version : I finally understand the fuss about colt revolvers

rathos
12-05-2018, 03:29 PM
While perusing gunbroker one evening I came across a semi local to me colt cobra. It had some dings, but overall looked pretty good. The price was also right, it looked like the user was clearing it out hoping for a large bidding war. As most due, I put in my top bid and forgot about it. A few days later I got a notification saying I had one. The gun has a cardboard box that looks like woodgrain and could be the actual box it came in (no serials on it). I know the grips are aftermarket, but that saved me having to buy them. Unfortunately our range is shut down due to some issues with ricochets but hopefully I can find a decent place to shoot it soon. So far in dry fire the trigger is amazing, other than the fact that it is thin.... I plan on shooting mostly copper jacketed wadcutters so hopefully this thing has a long life and I don't have to worry about parts or timing issues.

JHC
12-05-2018, 04:57 PM
While perusing gunbroker one evening I came across a semi local to me colt cobra. It had some dings, but overall looked pretty good. The price was also right, it looked like the user was clearing it out hoping for a large bidding war. As most due, I put in my top bid and forgot about it. A few days later I got a notification saying I had one. The gun has a cardboard box that looks like woodgrain and could be the actual box it came in (no serials on it). I know the grips are aftermarket, but that saved me having to buy them. Unfortunately our range is shut down due to some issues with ricochets but hopefully I can find a decent place to shoot it soon. So far in dry fire the trigger is amazing, other than the fact that it is thin.... I plan on shooting mostly copper jacketed wadcutters so hopefully this thing has a long life and I don't have to worry about parts or timing issues.

Works of art! Preventative medicine IMO is don't overdue the DA dry fire and avoid the sort of live fire volume you wouldn't blink at for a service pistol.

rathos
12-05-2018, 05:32 PM
For sure. Only dry fire with cushioned snap caps and even that is pretty few and far between. Shooting will mostly be to get to figure out where it hits with wadcutters and then letting people feel that watch like clicking before fire.

Works of art! Preventative medicine IMO is don't overdue the DA dry fire and avoid the sort of live fire volume you wouldn't blink at for a service pistol.

JHC
12-05-2018, 06:50 PM
In the 80s I had a couple D frames. I loved them. I only shot so often but I dry fired the hell out of them - all DA. Knocked them both out of time.

It's the cycling I think that knocks them out.

BillSWPA
12-05-2018, 07:01 PM
Nice find!

The frame mounted firing pins in D frames can be broken by dry firing without snap caps. I learned this by breaking one.

Stick to standard pressure ammo. The aluminum frame Colts are not designed for +P.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Malamute
12-05-2018, 07:12 PM
I came into an 80s vintage Agent, it instantly took of most favored pocket carry position. It timed OK. I read the gunsmithing section on the Colt forum, theres specific directions on how to do some basic stuff on Colts, including stretch the hand to get the timing back in spec. They are not the uber-mysterious machine that only specially trained apprentices in dark arts can work on, contrary to popular belief. A major rebuilt, or some major parts fitting and replacement, yes, it takes some knowledge and tools, basic stuff isnt that difficult though. I also came into a nice group of spare parts, I think Ill be good for a lifetime or two. I dont shoot it much, but just REALLY like it. Carrying it, looking at it, handling it, occasional dry fire.

Hoping to have a chance to get a steel frame Detective Special again one day. id shoot it more.

RevolverRob
12-05-2018, 10:50 PM
Aluminum guns can handle a very mild diet of +P. Colt used to say that aluminum guns which had ~2000 rounds of +P through them should return to the factory for an inspection. Unfortunately, the factory can no longer work on or warranty any previous production DA revolvers (only current Cobras). If the lock up is good, I wouldn't worry too much about a firing a few cylinders of +P through it, if you ever intend to carry it with same ammo.

Plated WCs will be a fine choice, though most Colts don't have leading issues. I've found 1st and 2nd issue guns (like in the OP) tend to shoot 158 LRN POA/POI at 20 yards. 3rd issue guns (like the one mentioned in Malamute's post) seem to prefer 147-grain WCs for POA/POI at 20-yards. A gas-checked SWC in 158-grain flavor at about 750-800 fps will likely net you near one-hole accuracy at 20-yards. My 3" gun (2nd issue DS) will cloverleaf them at that distance with most off-the-shelf 158s.

rathos
12-05-2018, 11:02 PM
Thanks for all the input so far. I don't plan on shooting any +P through it. As I mentioned before I pretty much plan on sticking to 148 grain copper plated wadcutters. It is so much better for carry compared to its new all steel brother. I have also read that some like the new revolvers better, including the trigger pull and those folks I would say are crazy... About the only thing about the new ones is they can handle +P and have a good front sight.

willie
12-06-2018, 12:09 AM
I've owned my share of the Colt D's and have two new ones from the 1950's. My advice is shoot it for familiarization and do a very minimum amount of dry firing. These wonderful revolvers tend to go out of time if fired or cycled a lot. I can't provide a figure but can say that I saw it happen several times. The Python suffers the same fate. Today there are few who can repair these guns. You might place a drop of oil on a Q-Tip and then lube the cylinder star's ratchets. Use the same Q-Tip on the hand. Next cock the revolver and let ONE drop of oil fall into the action. Please overlook my being so directive. Next, remove the revolver from the box and store the box where it will remain undamaged.

I will have to look, but I will find one of my very old repair books and copy the D frame section for you. That is, if you are interested.

rathos
12-07-2018, 02:18 AM
Thanks Willie. I appreciate your info. The pic was the one I got from my FFL when it came in. the box is safely stored with my other boxes and the gun in the safe where it should be. Your info was the same thing my revolver guru/teacher gave me, so that part is done! I wouldn't mind a copy of the d frame stuff if you have it! I am not the most adventurous but I have handy friends that can help.

I've owned my share of the Colt D's and have two new ones from the 1950's. My advice is shoot it for familiarization and do a very minimum amount of dry firing. These wonderful revolvers tend to go out of time if fired or cycled a lot. I can't provide a figure but can say that I saw it happen several times. The Python suffers the same fate. Today there are few who can repair these guns. You might place a drop of oil on a Q-Tip and then lube the cylinder star's ratchets. Use the same Q-Tip on the hand. Next cock the revolver and let ONE drop of oil fall into the action. Please overlook my being so directive. Next, remove the revolver from the box and store the box where it will remain undamaged.

I will have to look, but I will find one of my very old repair books and copy the D frame section for you. That is, if you are interested.

timotab
12-07-2018, 07:49 PM

If you don't mind, I'd like this as well.

Malamute
12-07-2018, 08:29 PM
As would I please.

Also, here is the link to the gunsmithing section of the Colt forum that has some interesting and useful information.

https://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-smithing/

I just remembered you have to be logged in to see the pictures, but its well worth registering if you are interested in learning about working on Colt revolvers, as well as many of the very nice pics there of various guns in general.

willie
12-07-2018, 08:54 PM
Gentlemen, I'll happily send this info. I have the books stored, and as soon as I dig them out, I will pm you for your mailing address. I don't scan so will have to mail copies. I'm at the stage of life where I'm downsizing. I've sold many books but am 99% certain that I have these. Recently I found a document that I thought lost. It's a partial work summany written by Roy Jinks about his S&W serial number research. Frannie Longtin, longtime old man of S&W, gave it to me 40 years ago. I intend to give it to Stephanie for Christmas. She may be the only Jewish girl in Connecticut getting a S&W document for Christmas from an old dude in Texas. Of course, she has to read this and then pm her mailing address.

Malamute
12-07-2018, 09:05 PM
Perhaps a simpler overall plan may be send a printed copy to someone, and they could disperse it digitally to others. Its pretty simple once scanned and in hand.

The local library has scanned things for me and sent them to my email, at which point I saved them in my computer at home and then had digital copies available.

willie
12-07-2018, 09:10 PM
[QUOTE=Malamute;819325]Perhaps a simpler overall plan may be send a printed copy to someone, and they could disperse it digitally to others. Its pretty simple once scanned and in hand.

The local library has scanned things for me and sent them to my email, at which point I saved them in my computer at home and then had digital copies available.[/QUOT

Good idea. I'll send it to you. Thanks.

Malamute
12-07-2018, 09:26 PM
No problem, Id be glad to do it!

Trooper224
12-07-2018, 10:58 PM
There's nothing like an old Colt DA revolver. I prefer S&W's for routine shooters, but you can't beat an old Colt for Swiss like precision of manufacture. My oldest Colt DA is a 100 year old Army Special .38. That thing is still bank vault tight and drives tacks. With a box of wadcutters, my Officers Model Match is my favorite relaxation piece.

alohadoug
12-08-2018, 09:51 AM
There's nothing like an old Colt DA revolver. I prefer S&W's for routine shooters, but you can't beat an old Colt for Swiss like precision of manufacture. My oldest Colt DA is a 100 year old Army Special .38. That thing is still bank vault tight and drives tacks. With a box of wadcutters, my Officers Model Match is my favorite relaxation piece.

I've got a Colt Police Positive in .32SWL from 1912. Its an amazing shooter. With wadcutters, it's a great stress release.

FrankB
12-08-2018, 02:56 PM
I bought one yesterday! What type of grips are on your pistol. Mine came with Pachmayr oversize grips, and look larger than the pistol itself.

rathos
12-10-2018, 05:49 PM
They came with it, but they look like the pachmayr compact grips.

I bought one yesterday! What type of grips are on your pistol. Mine came with Pachmayr oversize grips, and look larger than the pistol itself.

SeriousStudent
12-10-2018, 06:27 PM

And off to Gunbroker I go.

Stephanie B
12-10-2018, 07:44 PM
And off to Gunbroker I go.

Hanging out here can cost one some serious folding money.

Trooper224
12-11-2018, 10:50 AM
Just say no to Gunbroker.
https://www.snopes.com/tachyon/2016/03/nancyhead.jpg?resize=620,420