PDA

View Full Version : New Fixed Blade....need a little help

Amurr
12-04-2018, 03:12 PM
After running into a very intense near conflict situation where I did not have my EDC pistol I decided I needed to get a good small fixed blade to carry in those situations. I thought about a clinch pick but I wanted total concealability under a T-shirt and I was worried about the below belt carry position. Either way I got a good tool and am committed to mastering that tool. Like most things it’s not about having the perfect tool but mastering the tool you have. I make no claim to be a ninja.

Today arrived a very nice Ban Tang SAF. I like it a lot (although I though it would be stupid sharp it’s basically just very sharp but that might partially because it is 3V with a carbonized edge)

Couple questions:
1) Any suggestions for basic training/tutorial (I am around ATL if that matters) good starter video?
2) suggested clip? (combined with carry location) since it is more of a pistol replacement I considered strong side AIWB grip in. Could also go small of back or weak side at a 45 degree angle
3) best idea for a trainer blade?

Thanks
Amurr

Totem Polar
12-04-2018, 04:22 PM
Might see if SouthNarc or Cecil Burch gets to ATL with any regularity.

Also, Mike Janich (MBC) gets to Okeechobee, FL with some regularity. I’ve trained with Janich a couple of times, and like him.

orionz06
12-04-2018, 05:13 PM
A Discreet Carry Concepts clip would be my first choice, potentially with a narrower sheath.

Look up Edged Weapons Overview with Southnarc and follow all of the Shivworks social media, lots of content to get started with.

Nok knives make great trainers.

Amurr
12-04-2018, 05:24 PM
A Discreet Carry Concepts clip would be my first choice, potentially with a narrower sheath.

Look up Edged Weapons Overview with Southnarc and follow all of the Shivworks social media, lots of content to get started with.

Nok knives make great trainers.

You wanna make me a sheath?

JohnO
12-04-2018, 06:41 PM
Contact Nick at Bladerigs. Tell him what you are looking for and he will make you the ideal sheath. Nick uses Discrete Carry Clips. You will probably have to send the knife to him.

https://bladerigs.ecwid.com/?fbclid=IwAR0Ioe_GjK4M9YmFAvhM6tLTjcgA2OdlAGWmPeMY eR3F_UrM6dQdF6JnxE0

orionz06
12-04-2018, 08:21 PM
I can.

Up1911Fan
12-05-2018, 10:45 AM
Tom makes great gear. I went with bladerigs for my edc SAF and couldn't be happier with it. There's pics in one of the knife threads or I can snap some more later. I'm going to order one of the 7" traoners from Sayoc which should be pretty close the the SAF since I can't seem to get Ban to make me a trainer.

Edit: link to pics.
http://https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?15932-CCW-Straight-knives/page65

Warped Mindless
12-05-2018, 10:57 AM
Until you can get to a SouthNarc class a guy named Ryan Hoover has a great DVD on clinch fighting with concealed weapons. I forget the exact title but google that and it will come up.

Amurr
12-05-2018, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the feedback so far. Here is my plan right now:

1) gonna order the $12 DCC clip and put it on the current sheath. Will let me see what I like/don’t like/position etc.
2) will look for that DVD to get acquainted with some basics
3) after I do that basic work I will need to work on:
1. Getting a trainer
2. Taking a class
3. A more customized holster depending what I find is lacking/can be improved On

Thanks much
Alex

Chuck Whitlock
12-05-2018, 08:02 PM
DSG is great to work with.

runcible
12-06-2018, 07:31 AM
Until you can get to a SouthNarc class a guy named Ryan Hoover has a great DVD on clinch fighting with concealed weapons. I forget the exact title but google that and it will come up.

https://vimeo.com/205277490

Ryan Hoover's "HR-1 Fighting Blade Instructional DVD;" is this what you meant?

"Ryan is Fit to Fight® co-founder and trainer of instructors in eight different countries. He is a 2nd degree black belt in Krav Maga and has black belts in multiple systems. He has co-authored three books on Krav Maga: KM for Beginners, Black Belt KM and KM for Women. Ryan is a certified natural trainer and speed, agility and quickness trainer. Some of his clients include James Anderson(NFL), Tracy Spiridakos (Actress). Ryan is also the co-founder of the self protection program, Hard Ready™, Pride™-the kids program, and Safer Campus Now™-active shooter defense program. Ryan is a Krav Maga Force Training instructor, as well as a Krav Maga Train the Trainer. He has been instrumental in developing defensive tactics curricula at the state level. Ryan owns two training centers in North Carolina."

drummer
12-08-2018, 06:22 PM
Great choice, I've been eyeballing an SAF with the new textured G10 handles but I need another knife like I need a hole in the head.

For books and/or videos, check out Jim Keating's Drawpoint Series. I also recommend Bob Kapser's Lost Tapes DVD if you can find it and his book, Sting of the Scorpion. They may be harder to find now that Paladin Press is no longer.

As always, real life training trumps books and DVDs but they'll give you a starting point and different perspectives.

Drang
12-09-2018, 01:02 AM

This guy? (https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ryan+hoover+dvd&t=h_&ia=web)

runcible
12-09-2018, 05:22 AM
If that's the guy and the video in question, I have some concerns related to:

Use of an aluminum trainer against focus mitts, re: sustainability.

Use of an aluminum trainer in-plane or near in-plane with the eyes without some sort of additional eye-pro, re: sustainability.

He touched on wrist-control and pummeling drills, but I felt that they didn't really go anywhere in particular with either; though the idea of using a random stimulus in combination with pummeling drills and weapon access seems worthy of additional scrutiny.

Otaku.edc
12-09-2018, 11:00 AM
If you use Facebook, the SHIVWORKS AND SHIVWORKS ALUMNI page has videos taken from Edged Weapon Overview. (At least last time I looked before deleting Facebook)