PDA

View Full Version : Best Practices for Putting on a Stiker-Fired Gun While Seated

Mark D
12-03-2018, 03:04 PM
Hoping for some P-F input on the best methods to put on a gun AIWB, while seated.

A couple of times a day I remove a holstered G19 from my belt, or put it back onto my belt. This is performed while seated in a car. My actions are legal, but discretion is important. The most hazardous part, in my opinion, is putting the gun into my beltline while seated.

The pistol lives in a lock box in the car when I'm inside a NPE. When I leave the NPE, my technique is this:

1) From the driver's seat, open lock box and visually and physically confirm the pistol is fully inserted in the kydex holster (JMCK or DSG).

2) left thumb creates gap between belt and stomach.

3) right hand inserts the holstered pistol into the beltline, with right thumb riding the striker control device.

4) Drape concealment garment over the gun butt, adjust belt clips as necessary.

Is there anything else I should be doing to minimize the risk? (Apart from using a different gun or different carry method).

Thanks.

ubervic
12-03-2018, 03:26 PM
Given your decision to strap-up and de-strap while seated in your car, I believe that your procedure and reasoning are valid and appropriate.

rangerover
12-03-2018, 04:23 PM
Interested in this thread. You are braver than I am. I too have to holster and unholster frequently but I always do it standing up. Often I holster/unholster in a store parking lot a few blocks away from where I am going so people don’t see me unholster then leave the car unattended. I also live in Ohio where open carry is legal and not unheard of so I don’t care if people in a 7/11 parking lot see me.

JHC
12-03-2018, 05:25 PM
Keeping the gun seated in a quality holster through this process renders it as safe as anything else you could do with it.

runcible
12-03-2018, 06:53 PM
Well, it's an administrative action, but that doesn't exclude it for benefiting from some deliberation in the process.

You may find that something along the lines of the following to be beneficial:

...take the holstered gun into your firing hand, orienting the muzzle towards the engine block and keeping everything below the plane of your window sill.

...index your shoulderblades against the back of your seat, plant both feet flat against the floor, and bridge your hips upwards sufficient that you can insert the rig into your pants without the muzzle-line intersecting with your bodyparts while still keeping the rig below the plane of the window sill.

...use the ring and pinky fingers of the firing hand to clear your topmost garment(s) up, pinch\pin said garment in place with the firing-side elbow.

...glide the rig down the flat plane of your abdomen until the muzzle-end of the holster is just shy of contacting the top of your lower-body garment or belt.

...support hand pinches the belt near the opposite side inguinal crease, thumb inside and clasping fingers on the outside; lift the belt and garment away from your body and then track said hand over towards the shooting side, until the triangular void is centered below the rig held in hand.

...insert the rig fully into your lower body garment, shifting your trigger finger from an exterior register along the holster body to an exterior register pinching the outer fabric; use your support hand to fasten the attachment hardware.

...release the firing hand from the weapon, check and verify the attachment hardware's fastening.

...relax your hips back down onto the seat, resituate your cover garment, and continue on with your travels.

TheRoland
12-03-2018, 08:23 PM
When I had to do this daily for about a month, I drove somewhere private that I could stand while taking my holster off or putting it on. It added 10 minute to my drive and might have made some warehouse security guard scratch their heads but I remained unshot.

Duces Tecum
12-03-2018, 09:21 PM
Step 1: Get a SCD . . .

psalms144.1
12-03-2018, 09:30 PM
Keeping the gun seated in a quality holster through this process renders it as safe as anything else you could do with it.This, this, a thousand times, THIS! Get a good quality kydex IWB with a sturdy clip. Carry in that. When you need to de-gun, take the whole holstered pistol out of your pants, secure it, then go on about your business.

HCM
12-03-2018, 09:31 PM
Interested in this thread. You are braver than I am. I too have to holster and unholster frequently but I always do it standing up. Often I holster/unholster in a store parking lot a few blocks away from where I am going so people don’t see me unholster then leave the car unattended. I also live in Ohio where open carry is legal and not unheard of so I don’t care if people in a 7/11 parking lot see me.

Just to clarify, the OP is putting on and taking off an already holstered pistol, not unholstering and re-bolstering, which as you noted is riskier.

HCM
12-03-2018, 09:33 PM
Step 1: Get a SCD . . .

The OP has a SCD - see step 3.

HCM
12-03-2018, 09:35 PM
Your method is pretty sound. You could recline the seat as Runcible describes and try to “plank” or arch your body in the drivers seat as you put the holster on but it may conflict with your need for discretion.

psalms144.1
12-03-2018, 09:37 PM
Ah, Reading IS Fundamental (clearly I didn't do that). I blame spending all day locked in a room with a bunch of attorneys...

HCM
12-03-2018, 09:49 PM
Ah, Reading IS Fundamental (clearly I didn't do that). I blame spending all day locked in a room with a bunch of attorneys...

All of whom were likely arguing over what the definition of “is” is.

pangloss
12-03-2018, 10:49 PM
I frequently have to put on and remove a holstered Glock 26 in my car. The two things I make sure of are that the pistol is completely and properly seated in the holster and that I keep my thumb pressed against the striker control device (gadget). Note that getting the holster in place is easier with some holsters than others. It is very easy with my Garrett Industries Silent Thunder (single clip). It'd be considerably more difficult with my G19 holsters -- JMCK (two clips) and DSG (pull the dot loops). If you're going to make a habit of this, it'd probably be worth finding a holster that makes the task as simple as possible (likely a single clip that goes over the belt without a wing claw).

Darth_Uno
12-04-2018, 12:08 AM
Your method is pretty sound. You could recline the seat as Runcible describes and try to “plank” or arch your body in the drivers seat as you put the holster on but it may conflict with your need for discretion.

That’s what I do, minus reclining the seat. I’m counting on the fact that 1) most people aren’t paying a bit of attention, 2) if they were they probably have no idea what I’m doing anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totem Polar
12-04-2018, 01:15 AM
I’ll add my voice to those that feel you have a handle on it. With a quality kydex holster enclosing the trigger guard, and the gadget, that’s about as good as you can do in that position. If it makes you feel nervous, good; that’ll keep you from slipping up on all the double-checks.

fixer
12-04-2018, 06:11 AM
I carried a G19 in a kydex holster for years in and out of an NPE doing almost exactly as runcible describes.

I never had any issues.

I also did the same procedure when carrying a 92. It was a total PITA but manageable. (I carry PX4 Compact now.)

Before I geared up, I always drive to an area where traffic was minimal to none and chances of getting made are minimal.

In different vehicles things may be more or less cramped depending how large you are.

In my 4runner, for example, I end up putting the gun on AIWB and sliding it around to my normal 3:30 position.

Mark D
12-04-2018, 11:23 AM
The SCD and good kydex holster are the only reasons I am semi-comfortable with this practice. Even so, I still get a little nervous every single time. That nervousness, as Sidheshooter mentioned, is probably beneficial for keeping me focused.

If I'm driving my Silverado, it's large enough that I can discretely don the holster in the "V" of the rear door. But my commuter car is much smaller, hence the front seat contortions.

Thanks for the feedback, folks. Much appreciated.

scw2
12-04-2018, 03:05 PM
That’s what I do, minus reclining the seat. I’m counting on the fact that 1) most people aren’t paying a bit of attention, 2) if they were they probably have no idea what I’m doing anyway.

I believe this is how Spencer Keepers also teaches holstering while seated. In addition, put pressure/direction of the muzzle tip so that it is pointing away from the body as it is being put into the holster - basically the rotation/direction you are putting on the gun is the same direction as what a wedge is putting on a holster.

Also keep muzzle awareness as to not muzzle my legs while moving the gun back to the holster. Obviously putting on the holstered pistol which you're doing is safer than holstering while seated, which is good. I do find it to be much easier and safer though to just do the administrative handling in a nearby parking lot while standing when possible.

runcible
12-04-2018, 06:18 PM
For what it's worth, I don't recline the seat at all; but I'm also shorter than most and generally drive SUVs. Other combinations may dictate otherwise.

The post is hugely leveraging Craig Douglas' VCAST curriculum, with modifications from my workplace. Bridging upwards until you have a flat plane described from the abdominals, through the hips, down to the knees both reduces the resistance involved with getting the gun and rig in place as well as deconflicting the muzzleline and bodyparts.

rangerover
12-04-2018, 07:38 PM
Just to clarify, the OP is putting on and taking off an already holstered pistol, not unholstering and re-bolstering, which as you noted is riskier.

Thanks but that’s what I understood and why I’m interested in the thread. I don’t have a SCD on my pistol and carry AIWB. I don’t trust taking off the holster unless I’m standing which is why I do it the way I do. Hoping to learn how to do it safely in the car and this thread has been helpful to me.

Oukaapie
12-04-2018, 08:18 PM
I prefer that it never leaves a holster. Make it an easy on/off single clip holster. JMCK or Darkstargear steel clip. Vedder or Highnoon also OK.

Mark D
12-04-2018, 10:11 PM
I appreciate the ongoing dialog. As usual, P-F members contribute good advice and sound ideas.

I generally avoid bridging my hips up, because it brings the whole operation into view to those outside the vehicle. Especially in my small car. But tonight I realized that if the parking lot is dark, it becomes less important to keep things below the window line. So the hip bridge is certainly viable for me in darker environments, and I'll incorporate it into my routine.

I also have tinted windows, and usually use a sun shade on the front windshield. The sun shade reduces the opportunities for people to see into the car. It also makes the vehicle more shaded inside.

As several posters have mentioned, the "stripped down" holsters are definitely easier to put on. I've found that the more belt clips, foam wedges, and struts there are, the more cumbersome it becomes. And I used pull-the-dot loops exactly once before swapping them out. That said, I've been using a JMCK Wing Claw 2.0 for a year, without too much trouble. It had a very small wedge on it though.

Folks who live in 2A friendly environments are probably scratching their heads and thinking "WTF???". Unfortunately, this level of discretion is mandatory in certain parts of the county.